Page 31 of 182 FirstFirst ... 212728293031323334354181131 ... LastLast
    Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ImperiusWrecked View Post
    It's confusing for sure. I think we should count marvel mystery comics? I mean the battle with the original human torch at least? Cause it was the first crossover in comic history and Marvel does reference it as a part of canon when it comes up. Also does Saga of the Sub-Mariner count? (edit): I mean could it count if we have that Namor 2003 comic? Cause I never really count that young Namor since it contradicts saga and other comics.
    Aaaah! I forgot about that. Of course, I think MARVEL counts the Tsunami Namor, even if most fans don't. Also forgot about SUB-MARINER THE DEPTHS, which I also consider an alternate universe. SAGA should definitely count, IMO.

Hmmmm. Yes, it's even more confusing when you start thinking about the Golden Age stuff, where Namor's book (and every other headlining hero) wasn't actually taking up all of the book. They were all basically anthology books -- just as Marvel Mystery Comics was. But, I think we have to draw the line at the TITLE of the book being Namor's. Otherwise, we have to count all those Marvel Comics Presents and Marvel Features he had stories in.

So, while I wouldn't count the Tsunami series or The Depths, I think Marvel would. Of course, if we do take the off, that puts Namor at close to 249, near a milestone number -- something Marvel loves.

42 Sub-Mariner (1941) 1-42
    31 Tales to Astonish 70 - 101
    01 IM&SM 1
    72 Sub-Mariner (1968) 1-72
    02 King Size Sub-Mariner 1-2
    04 Prince Namor the Sub-Mariner 4
    12 Saga of the Sub-Mariner 1-12
    62 Namor the Sub-Mariner (1990) 1-62

04 Namor Annual 1-4
    12 Namor (2003) 1-12
    06 Sub-Mariner The Depths 1-6
    06 Sub-Mariner Revolution 1-6
    11 Namor the First Mutant (2010) 1-11

01 Namor the First Mutant Annual 1
    01 70th Anniversary Sub-Mariner 1
    01 Best Defense Namor 1

267 issues

187 issues by Marvel's weird counting
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

Ah cr*p did I mix up my dates again?! I thought it was 2/2/22? I'm so sorry, you are right since this was his shra card:

No, there's a diary entry from one of the Young Namor stories in the Atlas era that says his birthday is February 2 -- so it's not technically canon. I don't know where that card got that birthday and I don't think miscellaneous stuff like that is technically canon. Saga says Namor is a Christmas baby -- which technically is canon. I'm not sure about that Bryne era story. Do you remember if it had a date?
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

Quote Originally Posted by From The Shadows View Post
    I always read things with Namor in it ever since I started reading comics but I didn't really get into him until Sterns Avengers in the 1980s. I really enjoyed Byrnes 90s solo and his collaboration with Jae Lee later in the same series. His interactions with Dr. Doom were the stuff of legends.
    Welcome to the thread! I'm the say way. I read just about anything with Namor in it. And yes, there's alot of fans of the Super Villain Team Up relationship with Doom. In many ways, it is wasted potential by Marvel, IMO. I was really hoping we'd see more after Sub-Mariner Revolution, with this great ending page.

Haven't watched it yet so I will comment later. Just wanted you guys to get a chance at it first:

Idea's Open Discussion And Growth. Silencing Idea's Confirms Them To Be True In The Minds Of Those Who Hold Them. The Attempt Of Eliminating Idea's Proves You To Be A Fool.

Quote Originally Posted by DragonsChi View Post
    Haven't watched it yet so I will comment later. Just wanted you guys to get a chance at it first:

Not sure if comparing Aquaman to Wonder Woman is really the best idea, considering she can vary wildly in strength.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by LordUltimus View Post
    Not sure if comparing Aquaman to Wonder Woman is really the best idea, considering she can vary wildly in strength.
    S
    P
    O
    I
    L
    E
    R
    S

Ugh! I will only say I knew it was going to end this way. Superman beating Thor in the JLAVengers same as Aquaman beating Namor here, and at the end they give a bunch of invented numbers to justify the win. Just a bunch of nonsense!

I DID NOT know there was this shra card thing. But I had read the speculation on that date as being so "obvious" waaaay back in the '80s. Some fan letters or fanzine type article. Someone else must have thought so too. Like I said it is sort of irresistible. Besides the astrology (and I admit that Aquarius is a good call, but Pisces is ruled by the element of Water, whereas Aquarius is ruled by element of Air) the numberology thing of '2's is interesting to me too, as they can signify intuitive, watery type emotions and mystery.

Citizen of Atlantis ImperiusWrecked's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Reviresco View Post
    No, there's a diary entry from one of the Young Namor stories in the Atlas era that says his birthday is February 2 -- so it's not technically canon. I don't know where that card got that birthday and I don't think miscellaneous stuff like that is technically canon. Saga says Namor is a Christmas baby -- which technically is canon. I'm not sure about that Bryne era story. Do you remember if it had a date?
    Quote Originally Posted by Oberon View Post
    I DID NOT know there was this shra card thing. But I had read the speculation on that date as being so "obvious" waaaay back in the '80s. Some fan letters or fanzine type article. Someone else must have thought so too. Like I said it is sort of irresistible. Besides the astrology (and I admit that Aquarius is a good call, but Pisces is ruled by the element of Water, whereas Aquarius is ruled by element of Air) the numberology thing of '2's is interesting to me too, as they can signify intuitive, watery type emotions and mystery.
    I really just am very confused because is there no set date for Namor's birthdate? If marvel doesn't count the Atlas era stories then would he be the 22nd? I mean even in the bryne story for the namor annual where they surprise him they didn't say the date but the comic took place on a sunny day so it could have been spring or summer? Marvel we need a set answer here, even though I do like the idea of the 2/22/22 birthdate.

Quote Originally Posted by Thor-El View Post
    S
    P
    O
    I
    L
    E
    R
    S

Ugh! I will only say I knew it was going to end this way. Superman beating Thor in the JLAVengers same as Aquaman beating Namor here, and at the end they give a bunch of invented numbers to justify the win. Just a bunch of nonsense!
    SPOLIERS/RANT

This was just as I thought it would be, a popularity contest and with Aquaman now being DC's big thing of course Aquaman would win. He has always been the more popular character because he does get so much more exposure and comics and cartoons than Namor does. The calculations they have done are just their way of justifying a thing that makes zero sense. Why even bring up the purple man when you are just going to have Aquaman control Namor?

Mind Control. While he was in water. His strongest element... it doesn't work. I mean the reason why Doctor Doom even had to go after Namor first was because he knew that the submariner would have too much willpower and strength to fight the purple man's control. He had to weaken him before hand. Lets not forget they always factor out one of his greatest abilities, Namor can fly but it was barely used there, also he has bullet proof skin.

So I'm not even a little surprised that Aquaman won but I am mad they didn't do half as much research into Namor as they did Aquaman and of course used mind control to win. EVEN THOUGH THEY THEMSELVES SAID THAT AQUAMAN HAD LIMITED CONTROL OVER OTHER PEOPLE'S MINDS AND AT MOST COULD GIVE THEM A HEADACHE.
    (Sorry just a little salty here).
    "No one should ever question where my allegiance lies." - Namor of Atlantis

Don't bother. It's nonsense, and biased, as expected.

I'm surprised they did all that animated stuff, though. Looks like they spent most of their effort there, instead of considering Namor's abilities.

Maybe I need to read more Aquaman, but I never thought he had particularly super strength. Though, I think they were comparing Aquaman's speed, not strength, to WW. Of course, I'd never heard that WW could move at multiples speed of LIGHT??? Really?

Namor is fast, much faster than people give him credit for. He's moved as quick as Silver Surfer. He can catch torpeodos and jet missiles. But of course, nothing close to the speed of light. Heheh... I typoed that as the SPEEDO of light. ;p

Quote Originally Posted by Thor-El View Post
    S
    P
    O
    I
    L
    E
    R
    S

Yep. That business about countering the force needed to sink a continent... I don't think that's entirely accurate, but whatever. They were going to pick Aquaman, despite the FACT that Namor hasn't only matched the strongest Marvel character, the Hulk, but has beaten him.

SPOLIERS/RANT

This was just as I thought it would be, a popularity contest and with Aquaman now being DC's big thing of course Aquaman would win. He has always been the more popular character because he does get so much more exposure and comics and cartoons than Namor does. The calculations they have done are just their way of justifying a thing that makes zero sense. Why even bring up the purple man when you are just going to have Aquaman control Namor?

Mind Control. While he was in water. His strongest element... it doesn't work. I mean the reason why Doctor Doom even had to go after Namor first was because he knew that the submariner would have too much willpower and strength to fight the purple man's control. He had to weaken him before hand. Lets not forget they always factor out one of his greatest abilities, Namor can fly but it was barely used there, also he has bullet proof skin.

So I'm not even a little surprised that Aquaman won but I am mad they didn't do half as much research into Namor as they did Aquaman and of course used mind control to win. EVEN THOUGH THEY THEMSELVES SAID THAT AQUAMAN HAD LIMITED CONTROL OVER OTHER PEOPLE'S MINDS AND AT MOST COULD GIVE THEM A HEADACHE.
    It's okay, rant away. You are among Namor fans.

I get annoyed about the flying thing too. But it happens in the comics all the time. Hickman totally ignored the fact that Namor could fly circles around most of his fights. Seriously, next to time you read his run count how many times you see Namor fly.

Bullet proof? He has NUCLEAR BOMB proof skin. ;p

To wash out the taste of Deathbattle ...

Here's the variant cover of Marvels Annotated #1, which will be out next week. I wish Ross had done Namor on the first cover, but he's going back to Jim Hammond again.

I'm not sure what is in this book, except Marvels 0 and 1. The solicit says, "Packed with extras and completely remastered, you don't want to miss this unique look back at the Marvels phenomenon!" It's allegedly 104 pages long, which I guess is part of the reason why it is 8 bucks! I think I'll take a look at it at the comic shop first.

I really just am very confused because is there no set date for Namor's birthdate? If marvel doesn't count the Atlas era stories then would he be the 22nd? I mean even in the bryne story for the namor annual where they surprise him they didn't say the date but the comic took place on a sunny day so it could have been spring or summer? Marvel we need a set answer here, even though I do like the idea of the 2/22/22 birthdate.

SPOLIERS/RANT

Don't bother. It's nonsense, and biased, as expected.

I'm surprised they did all that animated stuff, though. Looks like they spent most of their effort there, instead of considering Namor's abilities.

Maybe I need to read more Aquaman, but I never thought he had particularly super strength. Though, I think they were comparing Aquaman's speed, not strength, to WW. Of course, I'd never heard that WW could move at multiples speed of LIGHT??? Really?

Namor is fast, much faster than people give him credit for. He's moved as quick as Silver Surfer. He can catch torpeodos and jet missiles. But of course, nothing close to the speed of light. Heheh... I typoed that as the SPEEDO of light. ;p

Yep. That business about countering the force needed to sink a continent... I don't think that's entirely accurate, but whatever. They were going to pick Aquaman, despite the FACT that Namor hasn't only matched the strongest Marvel character, the Hulk, but has beaten him.

It's okay, rant away. You are among Namor fans.

I get annoyed about the flying thing too. But it happens in the comics all the time. Hickman totally ignored the fact that Namor could fly circles around most of his fights. Seriously, next to time you read his run count how many times you see Namor fly.

Bullet proof? He has NUCLEAR BOMB proof skin. ;p
    Yea...it was somewhat biased. Good showing but in their very video they said that Aquaman got his hand eaten by Piranha(which I didn't know) and Namor withstood attacks from Hulk and a mountain falling on him....How do they figure he could get eaten by those fish? They also left out that Namor is bullet proof while Aquaman is only resistant....

I think if they went more in depth on their resistant/durability they might have had to change their vote...
    Idea's Open Discussion And Growth. Silencing Idea's Confirms Them To Be True In The Minds Of Those Who Hold Them. The Attempt Of Eliminating Idea's Proves You To Be A Fool.

Quote Originally Posted by Oberon View Post
    I think the duality of Pisces also plays nicely into Namor's dual nature.

I don't think many of the characters have set birthdays.

Well, the Golden Age stuff is supposed to be comics based off the characters and events. At least that's what Roy Thomas said when people asked why the Invaders didn't match up to the Golden Age comics. And it's been repeated in various other comics.

In SAGA 1, it says Namor was born "not long before the world above would celebrate a new year." So, a Christmas or solstice baby. That's the only "date" I've seen in post Golden Age comics -- other than those cards.

Extraordinary Member

Yea...it was somewhat biased. Good showing but in their very video they said that Aquaman got his hand eaten by Piranha(which I didn't know) and Namor withstood attacks from Hulk and a mountain falling on him....How do they figure he could get eaten by those fish? They also left out that Namor is bullet proof while Aquaman is only resistant....

I think if they went more in depth on their resistant/durability they might have had to change their vote...
    Namor has greater Durability and he is more invulnerable then aquaman and is a better fighter then post flash point aquaman and he stronger too.
    Aquaman
    Superhuman Durability: Tough enough to resist small arms fire with minor injury, the teeth of most trench dwellers break upon contact with his body. He survived an RPG blowing in his face and can thrive in the darkest, deepest bowels of the ocean deep suffering no discomfort. He even lived through falling back to Earth after being launched into orbit by Mera, coming back down hard on top of a sea monsters head, without injury.
    https://dc.fandom.com/wiki/Arthur_Curry_(Prime_Earth)

Namor McKenzie (Earth-616)
    Superhuman Durability: The tissues of Namor's body are much harder and more resistant to physical injury than those of normal human beings and most other Atlanteans. Namor can withstand tremendous impact forces, high caliber bullets, falls from orbital heights, exposure to temperature and pressure extremes, blows from powerful superhumans, and powerful energy blasts without sustaining injury.
    https://marvel.fandom.com/wiki/Namor...ie_(Earth-616)

Someone mention this in the comment section.
    Ryan o'sullivan quote-
    They neglected to mention also that Namor soloed the avengers recently no selling the attacks of Thor, captain marvel, she hulk, Iron man and ghost rider. And now he has hydrokenisis like mera. They were using Atlans strike to equate to trillions of tons while savage hulk has destroyed a dimension with his strikes. More hard to equate but Namor still beat hulk in that Era. They use old Namor feats compared to modern aquaman feats. Aquaman had the strength of 125 men in the 90s it wasn’t until new 52 till he started throwing submarines like Namor has since the golden age. And since Namor’s modern op feats were neglected i am wondering if deathbattle decided on the more popular choice from the get go.
    Last edited by mace11; 02-07-2019 at 12:02 AM.

Extraordinary Member From The Shadows's Avatar

I love doom and namor! They're great comics and so entertaining.
    True, true! And I think sometimes I have a thing for pointy ears...

Marvel Studios really needs to bring in Namor! Preferably starting out in a Captain America flashback and build up from there.

Extraordinary Member

Wonder woman by way the does not move faster then the speed of light.Plus that wonder woman is not even the current main canon version.

Keep in mind by the way there are marvel characters that are as strong and stronger then hulk.
    Here some info on that.
    15 Marvel Characters Stronger Than The Hulk | Screen Rant
    “Hulk is strongest there is!” That’s something the Hulk has proclaimed on many an occasion. It’s a pretty bold statement from someone who absolutely isn’t the strongest there is. In fact, he’s not all that close but, then again, the gamma-powered Avenger never was the brightest bulb in the box. Sure, staunch fans of the character will claim that he has unlimited potential strength, but we can only go by what we’ve seen him do on-panel, and comic books have shown that the Hulk certainly has his limits.
    The very Marvel universe the Hulk inhabits is home to countless characters whose strength is superior to that of the Green Goliath’s. In many of those cases, Hulk’s strength is emphatically dwarfed by said characters (to the extent that him punching them in the face with all his might would be the equivalent of a flea punching the average human). And we’re not just talking about the godlike creator entities in the Marvel universe. The likes of the One-Above-All and the Living Tribunal quite obviously make the Hulk’s very existence pale into insignificance, but you definitely don’t have to go that far up the power hierarchy to find characters who could out-muscle Bruce Banner’s angry alter ego.
    So, with that in mind, let’s take a look at some of the characters in the Marvel universe who could put Hulk to the sword in a battle of strength. While the entries in this list vary vastly in terms of their power levels, it will prove that you don’t have to look up as far as you might think to find such individuals. Here are 15 Marvel Characters Stronger Than The Hulk.
    To read more go here.
    https://screenrant.com/marvel-charac...than-the-hulk/

and
    15 Characters Stronger Than The Hulk-CBR
    Bruce Banner, the Incredible Hulk, is considered by many to be the strongest hero on Earth. At the very least, the Hulk definitely thinks so, constantly yelling that “Hulk is the strongest one there is!”. With gamma-fueled strength, a healing factor, and his notorious ability for getting stronger the madder he becomes, fans generally believe the Hulk is unbeatable. The early days of Marvel definitely reinforced the idea; their two strongest heroes were the Hulk and Thor. Over the years, the Hulk’s strength has grown to the point where his footsteps create earthquakes. Writers have expanded on Hulk’s powers as they try and reach the upper levels of his strength; the Hulk always turns the tide of any battle.
    Despite the power to lift mountains and crack planets, Marvel is chock full of beings stronger than the Hulk; some can turn him inside out with just a pinky. It’s not pleasant to think about, which is why Marvel likes to hide said characters away, letting fans believe Hulk really is the strongest one around. However, much to chagrin of Hulk fans around the world, today at CBR we’re looking at 15 characters stronger than the Hulk that Marvel would rather you not know exist.
    To read more go here.
    https://www.cbr.com/marvel-character...than-the-hulk/
    Last edited by mace11; 02-06-2019 at 11:58 PM.