Page 35 of 182 FirstFirst ... 253132333435363738394585135 ... LastLast
    Mighty Member

"A Prince of the blood needs no weapons!" From the 60s Sub-mariner cartoon: The Planet of Doom, To Test a Prince. Namor is abducted to another planet that wants to transfer the oceans of planet Earth to its own dry planet and is pitted in mortal combat against the planet's champion for ownership of Earth's oceans.

Last edited by Thor-El; 02-13-2019 at 02:21 PM.

Mighty Member

From the 60s Sub-mariner cartoon: The Planet of Doom, To Test a Prince. Namor is abducted to another planet that wants to transfer the oceans of planet Earth to its own dry planet and is pitted in mortal combat against the planet's champion for ownership of Earth's oceans.

Mighty Member

From the 60s Sub-mariner cartoon: The Planet of Doom, To Test a Prince. Namor is abducted to another planet that wants to transfer the oceans of planet Earth to its own dry planet and is pitted in mortal combat against the planet's champion for ownership of Earth's oceans. Using his incredible strength he uses his attackers weapons to free himself from his mortal predicament.

Citizen of Atlantis ImperiusWrecked's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Thor-El View Post
    "A Prince of the blood needs no weapons!" From the 60s Sub-mariner cartoon: The Planet of Doom, To Test a Prince. Namor is abducted to another planet that wants to transfer the oceans of planet Earth to its own dry planet and is pitted in mortal combat against the planet's champion for ownership of Earth's oceans.
    awesome gifs! I seem to remember there was a time in the comics that this story was used as well? where aliens wanted to take earth's water and they had surgically shut namor's gills so he wouldn't be able to return to the water?
    "No one should ever question where my allegiance lies." - Namor of Atlantis

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by ImperiusWrecked View Post
    awesome gifs! I seem to remember there was a time in the comics that this story was used as well? where aliens wanted to take earth's water and they had surgically shut namor's gills so he wouldn't be able to return to the water?
    I think this one is an original, unless it is based on a golden age story. At least I went thru Tales to Astonish trying to find this story but couldn't find anything.

Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar

I think this one is an original, unless it is based on a golden age story. At least I went thru Tales to Astonish trying to find this story but couldn't find anything.
    That is original cartoon art. It isn't from a comic, like the Quest.

It's later, in the 1968 solo run. The aliens don't steal Namor for a 'trial by combat' for the Earth's water. But he is abducted by the aliens onto their orbiting ship ... I can't remember exactly why. And they do end up messing with his gills so he can't breath water. And they are trying to steal Earth's water.

Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

Citizen of Atlantis ImperiusWrecked's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Reviresco View Post
    That is original cartoon art. It isn't from a comic, like the Quest.

It's later, in the 1968 solo run. The aliens don't steal Namor for a 'trial by combat' for the Earth's water. But he is abducted by the aliens onto their orbiting ship ... I can't remember exactly why. And they do end up messing with his gills so he can't breath water. And they are trying to steal Earth's water.
    Yes that is the one! thanks
    "No one should ever question where my allegiance lies." - Namor of Atlantis

From the 60s Sub-mariner cartoon: The Planet of Doom, To Test a Prince. Namor is abducted to another planet that wants to transfer the oceans of planet Earth to its own dry planet and is pitted in mortal combat against the planet's champion for ownership of Earth's oceans.

I love this gif! Namor peeking around and reaching around the Grater / Spikey Trap, like he's pawing at his opponent.

And look at that alien's eyebrows! I thought Namor was the king of the eyebrows, but this guy has him beat.

Thanks for posting these Thor-El.
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

Quote Originally Posted by Things Fall Apart View Post
    I think using The Depths as a starting block for his MCU appearance might be a good way to differentiate Namor from Aquaman. Maybe the MCU Atlanteans can have more of a Deep Ones/Dagon type of vibe rather than having them modelled on a shinning antiquity inspired kingdom.
    I could definitely see this for a comic, but MCU seems to avoid that sort of scary and dark stories -- Infinity War withstanding. I think someone else mentioned it, and the more I think going the Avatar route for an MCU Atlantis might be ideal. By that mean, Namor and Atlantis as forces of Nature, elementals, protecting the environment.

The reason for The Depths being rereleased isn't so odd when you know that there are rumors of the Aquaman spinoff The Trench in the works. From the article I read it said The Trench was introduced and focused on in 2011 in the comics. Meanwhile the The Depths was 2009 iirc. Funny how after Namor is a horror type comic in the Mariana Trench a few years later suddenly DC has that too? :/ Anyways it's just rumors now but the characters for the Trench were introduced in the Aquaman movie. Marvel could just be subtley reminding people that they did the Horror comic first?
    I need to read the Aquaman Trench story, but when I saw the movie, I didn't think of the Depths, I thought of the Faceless Ones. And those guys are from Tales to Astonish in the 1960s! And in the 90s, they were far more scary and really look more like the Trench.

I think Marvel needs to stop tiptoeing around that and just come out with a damn solo. Push Namor to the top as a big player again. My own suspicions are that Invaders will only focus on Namor for the 6 issues that are already confirmed and then focus on others, but I'm hoping this means that we will get a solo after those 6 issues so Namor has that as well as costarring in the Invaders as it moves on to other characters.
    THIS. Namor is a great character, but in this current environment, he's not going to be top player he could be if Marvel doesn't push the character and give him the opportunities some other characters are repeatedly given.

And yes, I'm curious what Zdarsky has planned for both the Invaders and Namor after this arc. I can't see him giving Namor the focus he has presently in a team book, even though I woiuld enjoy it. ;p

Sad about how every character seems to have a chance at an animated show when I know that handled right a Sub-Mariner show could be stunningly beautiful. However I would want good animation and not a show for laughs like the other shows seem to be.
    I agree on both counts. A less for laughs, Namor in Atlantis animated show would be fantastic! So many cool things they could do.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Reviresco View Post

I need to read the Aquaman Trench story, but when I saw the movie, I didn't think of the Depths, I thought of the Faceless Ones. And those guys are from Tales to Astonish in the 1960s! And in the 90s, they were far more scary and really look more like the Trench.

OMG! Yes, that is what I thought too!!! I was looking through Tales to Astonish today and when i got to this story I though, wait isn't that The trench?!!

OMG! Yes, that is what I thought too!!! I was looking through Tales to Astonish today and when i got to this story I though, wait isn't that The trench?!!
    The concept, at least what was shown in the movie, certainly appears to be very similar to the Faceless Ones. But like I said, I haven't read the comics. I really liked how they were portrayed by Jae Lee in the 90s, but that is also one of my favorite arcs.

Wow! This is great news and those covers look awesome. The one of Namor wrestling the shark, would love to have it in poster size.
    It's a modern take on a classic piece of art. Here's the original art, which DrSolarMOTA at the Marvel Masterworks site found.

I love the title of the series. Timely's Greatest. YES!

Would Namor and his "Defenders of the Deep" traveling the oceans on a pirate like ship attacking ocean polluters be a good comic?

Mighty Member

A very awesome St Valentine's Day to all my fellow atlanteans!

Quote Originally Posted by Cville View Post
    Would Namor and his "Defenders of the Deep" traveling the oceans on a pirate like ship attacking ocean polluters be a good comic?

Hmmmm. I have my doubts, in part because of the make up of Aaron's Defenders of the Deep. With Orka and Tiger Shark and Echnida on the team, there would have to be some heavy duty explaining as well as dealing with the inevitable back stabbing and ... conflict. Those guys ARE Namor's rogues. It would be sort of like the Cabal, but with not so well known villains. Which could be interesting, but it would take a big investment and fresh ideas from a writer. Plus, more time spent developing those guys (and the blank slates of Blood Tide and Echnida and King Crab?) and maybe not so much time on Namor. In case it isn't clear, I'm not real fond of the line up for the Defenders of the Deep.

There would definitely have to be an over-reaching plot / conflict to the book, perhaps with Roxxon standing in for man's pollution of the oceans. It would give Namor and company a symbolic victory, since he's never going to get a real, final victory over the surface world, especially on that count.

I don't know ... not sure that's exactly the book I would pitch. Though, now that I think about it, Brian Wood did something similar, didn't he, with The Massive?