Page 44 of 182 FirstFirst ... 344041424344454647485494144 ... LastLast
    Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by ImperiusWrecked View Post
    In the end I humbly suggest that if we do get a movie then each actor going up for the role should scream 'Imperius Rex!' as part of their auditions. XD
    I agree, that Imperious Rex its like the fabled Tarzan yell!

I agree with Namor having the older school dramatic Shakespearean speech, and not a more modern slang. In the end I humbly suggest that if we do get a movie then each actor going up for the role should scream 'Imperius Rex!' as part of their auditions. XD
    I'm against Namor using modern Slang, I think of it as someone too "royal" to speak in such common way. But also think that he should include more latin in the mix up, after all his battle cry is Imperius Rex.

About his appearance I think that someone with a slightly asian look or at least mediterranean.

Astonishing Member

Does he really count as Marvel's first superhero?

Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PCN24454 View Post
    Marvel thinks so.

Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

Citizen of Atlantis ImperiusWrecked's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PCN24454 View Post
    Namor is Marvel's first superhero and the first comic anti-hero however I think the term anti-hero didn't become popular until much later. The definition of a anti-hero fits namor's personality since his first appearance, however in the golden age they were all superheros. Namor has been the first of many things:

First anti-hero, first marvel hero, first comic book royalty, first super hero to fly in comics, first to have a superhero crossover fight (with the original human torch) first biracial character since it states in his first comics that his parents come from two different races, first underwater hero.
    "No one should ever question where my allegiance lies." - Namor of Atlantis

Namor is Marvel's first superhero and the first comic anti-hero however I think the term anti-hero didn't become popular until much later. The definition of a anti-hero fits namor's personality since his first appearance, however in the golden age they were all superheros. Namor has been the first of many things:

First anti-hero, first marvel hero, first comic book royalty, first super hero to fly in comics, first to have a superhero crossover fight (with the original human torch) first biracial character since it states in his first comics that his parents come from two different races, first underwater hero.

I could be wrong, but I believe the post was an attempt question Namor's heroism. Namor is clearly Marvel's first hero, even if he may not necessarily been Marvel's first _American_ hero.

One thing I've always loved about Namor is he makes me remember there are at least two sides to most situations.
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

Quote Originally Posted by Reviresco View Post
    I could be wrong, but I believe the post was an attempt question Namor's heroism. Namor is clearly Marvel's first hero, even if he may not necessarily been Marvel's first _American_ hero.

One thing I've always loved about Namor is he makes me remember there are at least two sides to most situations.
    Very true, I love how I am always analyzing things with Namor, and it does make for a good question, I mean as Marvel's first American Hero that isn't also classified as a anti-hero then it would have to be Jim Hammond the Original Human Torch. However Namor is half american and he turns rather quickly to aiding the humans in his comics, and if we are just talking a super hero as in a person who has extra abilities and uses them to save people then Namor would totally be classified as that.

By the way, did you change the title of the thread? I had thought it was Imperius Rex! Namor appreciation 2019?

I think a few of the thread titles were changed. The Black Panther thread title was also changed/shortened.
    We are the Dora Milaje. We are the daughters of the 18 tribes of Wakanda. We are the teeth of the Panther God. Out of 10,000 years of sweat and bloodshed and battle are we born. We are the women of this ancient land. Deadliest of the species. And our time has come!

By the way, did you change the title of the thread? I had thought it was Imperius Rex! Namor appreciation 2019?
    Quote Originally Posted by nj06 View Post
    I think a few of the thread titles were changed. The Black Panther thread title was also changed/shortened.

No, it wasn't me. Sadly only mods can change the thread titles after they are started. I'm not sure WHY it was changed, as I don't think the thread titles break any rules, but I suspect a non-Marvel forum thread mod came thru and decided he didn't like all the Appreciation thread titles, and stripped all of them that were on the first page of their lovely, descriptive titles. However, he didn't want to take the time to change all the Appreciation thread titles, as nothing on page 2 or beyond was changed.

I wrote Ravin' Ray to see if he could change it back to it's original title: IMPERIUS REX! Namor the Sub-Mariner Appreciation 2019. Feel free to ask him or Global Honored to do so, if you'd like.

Very true, I love how I am always analyzing things with Namor, and it does make for a good question, I mean as Marvel's first American Hero that isn't also classified as a anti-hero then it would have to be Jim Hammond the Original Human Torch. However Namor is half american and he turns rather quickly to aiding the humans in his comics, and if we are just talking a super hero as in a person who has extra abilities and uses them to save people then Namor would totally be classified as that.

That's a handful of qualifiers for claiming a 'first.'

However, it wouldn't necessarily be Jim Hammond, as there were a few other American heroes in Marvel Comics #1. I think Angel and Masked Raider also could claim that spot. Namor gets the 'First Marvel Superhero,' IMO, because his story is actually a reprint and appeared before Marvel Comics #1.

That's an interesting point about the definition of superhero. I brought up the American part, because Namor is an Atlantean hero, from his first appearance. That puts him in conflict with the Americans, who wouldn't, at least from his first few appearances, wouldn't be considered an American hero. Of course, as Marvels shows, this changes soon, when he starts fighting Nazis -- which was relatively quickly, IIRC.

That's a handful of qualifiers for claiming a 'first.'

However, it wouldn't necessarily be Jim Hammond, as there were a few other American heroes in Marvel Comics #1. I think Angel and Masked Raider also could claim that spot. Namor gets the 'First Marvel Superhero,' IMO, because his story is actually a reprint and appeared before Marvel Comics #1.

That's an interesting point about the definition of superhero. I brought up the American part, because Namor is an Atlantean hero, from his first appearance. That puts him in conflict with the Americans, who wouldn't, at least from his first few appearances, wouldn't be considered an American hero. Of course, as Marvels shows, this changes soon, when he starts fighting Nazis -- which was relatively quickly, IIRC.
    Oh I agree, honestly I really do think Namor is Marvel's first superhero. Since he was created in April and the others were all created/released in october of 1939 iirc. Also Marvel has shown many times in the comic splash pages that he is the first and they did that 80 years post with Namor and not the other characters. I just wish they would treat him better and give him a solo after Invaders.

No, it wasn't me. Sadly only mods can change the thread titles after they are started. I'm not sure WHY it was changed, as I don't think the thread titles break any rules, but I suspect a non-Marvel forum thread mod came thru and decided he didn't like all the Appreciation thread titles, and stripped all of them that were on the first page of their lovely, descriptive titles. However, he didn't want to take the time to change all the Appreciation thread titles, as nothing on page 2 or beyond was changed.

I wrote Ravin' Ray to see if he could change it back to it's original title: IMPERIUS REX! Namor the Sub-Mariner Appreciation 2019. Feel free to ask him or Global Honored to do so, if you'd like.
    That sucks. I liked the thread titles

Oh I agree, honestly I really do think Namor is Marvel's first superhero. Since he was created in April and the others were all created/released in october of 1939 iirc. Also Marvel has shown many times in the comic splash pages that he is the first and they did that 80 years post with Namor and not the other characters. I just wish they would treat him better and give him a solo after Invaders.
    Yes, exactly.

I hope so, also. There seems to be interest from some creators. Gail Simone has shown some interest, and of course, and depending on the story, I bet Patrick Zircher would sign on for the art. I don't know if Zdarsky was kidding or not, but he might be interested in writing also. Though, he seems more interested in Daredevil right now.

I don't know, however, how editorial feels. I'm not sure there's alot of push there. I guess some it might depend on the sales numbers of Invaders. I need to find out how the first issue did.

That sucks. I liked the thread titles
    Me too. Especially if it isn't going to be applied universally.

Skrull Namor appears in Cosmic Ghost Rider Destroys Marvel History (2019) #1 to seduce Sue.

Edit: If you are unfamiliar with the term Zaddy it is a slang term that refers to a man who is very appealing, handsome, fashionable, and has swagger and s*x appeal. I had to look it up myself cause I had no clue, lol.
    Last edited by ImperiusWrecked; 03-07-2019 at 06:15 PM.

My LCS delayed my shipment of Invaders #2 by one week. I need my Namor fix!

We could talk technicalities forever, but I'm willing to give a totally non-bias edge towards Namor in this debate because of this

Skrull Namor appears in Cosmic Ghost Rider Destroys Marvel History (2019) #1 to seduce Sue.

Edit: If you are unfamiliar with the term Zaddy it is a slang term that refers to a man who is very appealing, handsome, fashionable, and has swagger and s*x appeal. I had to look it up myself cause I had no clue, lol.
    That dialogue hurt to read haha

Quote Originally Posted by Things Fall Apart View Post
    What do you guys think Namor should sound like? Should he have an accent, and what vocal range should he have? Like on a musical scale.

I can't NOT hear Vegeta's voice from Dragonball Z when I read Namor's dialogue.

If anyone's looked into it, the similarities don't end there. There are even theories that Goku is based off of Superman. Could it be possible that Vegeta could be based off Namor? The creators' appreciation for Golden Age comics is well documented... I wonder...
    Last edited by Of Atlantis; 03-07-2019 at 06:42 PM.
    Currently Reading: DC: Shazam /// MARVEL: Daredevil, Invaders, Winter Soldier /// IMAGE: Seven to Eternity /// TITAN: Bloodborne

Upcoming Reading:

Trade Waiting: IMAGE: East of West, Black Road, The Black Monday Murders /// DARK HORSE: Hellboy, Witcher

Quote Originally Posted by Of Atlantis View Post
    My LCS delayed my shipment of Invaders #2 by one week. I need my Namor fix!
    Enjoy it when it comes in!