Page 51 of 182 FirstFirst ... 4147484950515253545561101151 ... LastLast
    Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ImperiusWrecked View Post
    THANK NEPTUNE. I've said it before but I am not at all pleased with how Aaron is treating Namor and the Atlanteans, so reading this makes me happy. The downside is that readers who do pick up war of realms will probably only get a cameo of Namor in a splash page somewhere, but it is a small price to pay for Aaron not dragging Atlantis more into the gutter. lol, he already destroyed Atlantis so destroying it twice would be over kill XD. Namor is getting far better focus in Invaders and so I'm putting my hope in that comic.
    LOL! Like I said, it's a mixed bag. Events give more exposure, but that doesn't necessarily mean it's _good_ exposure. Hopefully we'll get something else that more Namor friendly. In addition to the Invaders, that is.
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

Citizen of Atlantis ImperiusWrecked's Avatar

Hey Rev, not sure if you might know this but I once read an article about Bill Everett and his inks for the original submariners, and how that changed when I believe it was Kirby who finalized the Atlanteans as being blue in FF? They were blue and green before because of how Everett was experimenting with the inks? I was trying to find that article/webpage again and couldn't. Did you ever come across this?
    "No one should ever question where my allegiance lies." - Namor of Atlantis

Hey Rev, not sure if you might know this but I once read an article about Bill Everett and his inks for the original submariners, and how that changed when I believe it was Kirby who finalized the Atlanteans as being blue in FF? They were blue and green before because of how Everett was experimenting with the inks? I was trying to find that article/webpage again and couldn't. Did you ever come across this?
    My understanding is that in the first couple of issues of Marvel Comics / Marvel Mystery Comics, Bill Everett was experimenting with the coloring techniques, much like John Byrne did with Duo Shade on his Namor run, in an effort to portray the effect of being underwater. It basically resulted in very muddy reproduction. In those first issues, Everett also colored almost everyone, including Namor, blue -- again to portray the effect of being underwater. When the Atlanteans, at least the women, were out of the water, they looked like Namor. Shortly, Everett abandoned the idea that Namor and the female Atlanteans should be colored blue underwater. Though, inconsistently, there were a couple of issues, where the women were colored blue or green. The men, all the time, in or out of the water, IIRC, were green and looked more alien.

Yes, it was Stan Lee and Kirby's Fantastic Four Annual #1, where the Sub-Mariners became Atlanteans and as a race, both genders, blue.

I think the article you are looking for is by Sean Howe -- and it's illustrated! Here's the link.

Atlantis Blues
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

Quote Originally Posted by Reviresco View Post
    My understanding is that in the first couple of issues of Marvel Comics / Marvel Mystery Comics, Bill Everett was experimenting with the coloring techniques, much like John Byrne did with Duo Shade on his Namor run, in an effort to portray the effect of being underwater. It basically resulted in very muddy reproduction. In those first issues, Everett also colored almost everyone, including Namor, blue -- again to portray the effect of being underwater. When the Atlanteans, at least the women, were out of the water, they looked like Namor. Shortly, Everett abandoned the idea that Namor and the female Atlanteans should be colored blue underwater. Though, inconsistently, there were a couple of issues, where the women were colored blue or green. The men, all the time, in or out of the water, IIRC, were green and looked more alien.

Yes, it was Stan Lee and Kirby's Fantastic Four Annual #1, where the Sub-Mariners became Atlanteans and as a race, both genders, blue.

I think the article you are looking for is by Sean Howe -- and it's illustrated! Here's the link.

Atlantis Blues
    Thanks so much! I knew the male Atlanteans were more fish like and non human than the female ones, and you are a life saver! I was going insane trying to remember where I had read this.

Thanks so much! I knew the male Atlanteans were more fish like and non human than the female ones, and you are a life saver! I was going insane trying to remember where I had read this.
    Happy to help and pass along Sean Howe's excellent article / blogpost.

I need to go through and see where the Atlateans were also colored green. It could be the influence of Llyra, but I was thinking that the green skinned merman were Lemurian. I think Stuart Moore hinted at it also and the biases accompanying it.

David Self was hired to write a Namor script, but I thought it was earlier than 2004. Though, this could be a second or third draft. This actually makes Namor more like Aquaman, i.e. raised on land, so I’m glad they didn’t go this route. One of the big battle scenes reminded of the big battle scene in the Aquaman movie, so I’m wondering if some folks at DC didn’t read it also.

If you want to read the alleged script, you can find it here:

David Self Sub-Mariner Script

I love these ideas, and your command of Namoric History.

David Self was hired to write a Namor script, but I thought it was earlier than 2004. Though, this could be a second or third draft. This actually makes Namor more like Aquaman, i.e. raised on land, so I’m glad they didn’t go this route. One of the big battle scenes reminded of the big battle scene in the Aquaman movie, so I’m wondering if some folks at DC didn’t read it also.

I'm totally going to give this a read later, thanks! I am very glad that they didn't make it if they were just going to go the aquaman route. Even though the what if namor grew up on land one shot is one of my favorite comics it just is that, an AU, and his story is far better where he has grown up in the ocean. I wouldn't be surprised if they did since I have been a bit critical about how much they have taken from Namor's whole look. Seriously in some Aquaman stills all they had to do was slap on some wings and pointed ears and there was Namor. (lol, I'm going to have to rent Aquaman and give a watch soon)

This link is for Marvel covering their 80 years history in articles, I'm keeping an eye on it to see if Namor is featured in April, since that was the time his comic was first created.

Marvel's 80 Year History

I was just over in the "Positive Attributes" thread and Stingray was brought up. I've never been a huge fan of the character, but I do like the Jacques Cousteau comparison. I've just never been able to get past the suit, it just makes no sense to me aside from the wings. He has like an arrow or spade shape on his mask, I'm guessing some starburst on his chest, and then standard briefs and boots. Am I missing something with the symbols?

I did come across this link while skimming google for pics of him though:

https://henchman4hire.com/2016/02/16...-ever-written/

Mighty Member

Speaking of Ross, his Marvelocity exhibit is up at the museum near Chicago. I wish I could go see, but that doesn't look likely at the moment. However, from some images I've seen online, it has at least two Namor pieces.

If you look to the far right of the image, there's Dr. Strange and Namor! I don't remember seeing this one in the book at all. Thor-El, did you see it? Several of the paintings on this wall appeared in the huge fold out cover, but not this Namor. It has a Johnny Romita Sr. vibe to me.

https://twitter.com/DunnMuseum/statu...97832019939329

Plus, they had the wonderful series of panels from the Jack Kirby Iron Man fight in Tales of Suspense and Tales to Astonish.

https://twitter.com/thealexrossart/s...65253278158849

Sorry, I have been a bit swamped with work lately and missed this post. Been simply scanning the board really quick and just reading a paragraph here and there. That Namor portrait in the exhibit is not in the book. First time I see it. But WOW, makes me wish I could go to that exhibit, what a treat!

Oh, well two days until the next Invaders comes out, looking forward to it!

Mighty Member

Wow, Rev! What a great find!

Quote Originally Posted by Doombot View Post
    I was just over in the "Positive Attributes" thread and Stingray was brought up. I've never been a huge fan of the character, but I do like the Jacques Cousteau comparison. I've just never been able to get past the suit, it just makes no sense to me aside from the wings. He has like an arrow or spade shape on his mask, I'm guessing some starburst on his chest, and then standard briefs and boots. Am I missing something with the symbols?
    Quote Originally Posted by Doombot View Post
    I did come across this link while skimming google for pics of him though:

https://henchman4hire.com/2016/02/16...-ever-written/
    You know, I've never thought about that before. WHY does he have that red star / sun burst on his chest? And the white spade shape on his helmet? I can understand why his suit is white -- most sea creatures have a white or pale underside. I'll have to go back and read his origin story again.

I understand why some folks don't appreciate the character -- after all, his suit is the flashiest thing about him. He has a stable personal life, despite his wife's connections. And he's really a scientist, not a superhero. And he's more of a real scientist, than the ridiculous super geniuses who know EVERYTHING, cause "science." But I loved watching all those Jacques Cousteau shows, and Stingray exemplifies sea exploration and the good guy trying to form a bridge with the alien Atlantean culture.

Thanks for the link! Will try to read it a lunch.

Quote Originally Posted by Thor-El View Post
    Sorry, I have been a bit swamped with work lately and missed this post. Been simply scanning the board really quick and just reading a paragraph here and there. That Namor portrait in the exhibit is not in the book. First time I see it. But WOW, makes me wish I could go to that exhibit, what a treat!

Oh, well two days until the next Invaders comes out, looking forward to it!
    Quote Originally Posted by Thor-El View Post
    Wow, Rev! What a great find!
    It was definitely an interesting read, especially, like I said, given what we got in the Aquaman movie.

I sympathize. I'm at work right now. Well, not RIGHT now. LOL!

Ah, that's what I thought. Thanks for the verification. I'll have to see if he's selling posters or prints of it somewhere.

Yes, I'd LOVE to go to Chicago and see that exhibit. Actually, I'd love to have been at C2E2 last weekend and made the museum a side trip. Oh well. Maybe next year.