Page 62 of 182 FirstFirst ... 125258596061626364656672112162 ... LastLast
    Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Reviresco View Post
    I tried to keep my Namor stuff in boxes that I could get to and unpack first ... but the movers had other ideas.

I'll see if I can find it online.
    That would be great! About Marrina's hatchlings, that is very interesting. I never finished Saga of the Sub-Mariner, not so fond of the artwork at the time so I missed that page that explains the real father. The Avengers story makes it seem as if they might be Namor's.

Quote Originally Posted by Reviresco View Post
    Exactly. But also, Namor is a prince. He HAS to have an heir to succeed him. He's not going to hide the person who is going to take the Atlantean throne and let some one else raise and train him, away from the Atlantean court. Especially given how close he and his mother were. His mother would be appalled. Beyond that, I think Namor would LOVE being a dad.

If you look at the images from that link of Cronin's article, you can see that Simonson leaves the father of the eggs a mystery. Next to last panel.

Found it! Or at least one of the comics I remember. It was in Saga of Sub-Mariner 12. The next to last panel. Namor clearly states they were the Plodex kids.

Of course, there's that other story that Cronin posted, so clearly, the editors are conflicted and not on the same page on this question.
    I honestly think it'd be a great story to have them be Namor's, and him having to deal with the tragic reality that these two hybrid creatures are his lost children. Especially if they were more creature than Atlantean and he would have to eventually kill them. It would be all the more sad if Marrina was still dead, but apparently she's alive again. I wish they would just let these characters stay dead.

Citizen of Atlantis ImperiusWrecked's Avatar

Thanks everyone, I had been pretty sure Namor wasn't the dad, I think it makes more sense he wasn't because if they had been his and Marrina kids then with her being half human/half alien and Namor being half human/half atlantean then they would have been half human, quarter atlantean, quarter alien. I would rather the writers not give him more kids unless they intend to keep them, I do think he would make a good dad. I personally wish Kris Anka had been given a Namor book, he was very into Namor/Emma Frost a while back and I bet we could have had a good storyline with that, especially since he once showed off designs for Neena Frost, a Namor/Emma love child.

kristaferanka:

Neena Frost - in uniform

So.

Neena is the love-child of Emma Frost and Namor. After years of casual hook-ups, Neena was the result. Emma chose to raise Neena by herself, rather than relying on namor (cause lets be honest, namor isn’t exactly a positive parental figure), which is why Neena ended up taking Frost as her last name as opposed to McKenzie. Being an intelligent girl, Neena was able to recognize the “alpha dog"ness of her parents very early on and decided to steer away from that. Brought up with all the dignity, confidence, and elegance of her parents, but with none of the ego. But she still maintains the classic “bitch face” her parents are famous for. She suffers no fools, but rarely ever steps up into the leader role, she is a perfect support unit to any team and will often just get the job done herself.

Her basic power set is Flight and Superstrength which he inherited from her father, but because she’s down to being only a quarter atlantean, she cannot breathe underwater. For extra durability, she can go into a diamond form, like her mother.

After graduating the Jean Grey School, she joined up with the now-reformed Older Cylcop’s team who work out of rebuilt Genosha. This team specializes as a mutant Swat unit within Genosha. The Team consists of Cyclops, Tempus, Armor, Elixier, Beast, X-23, Molly Hayes, and Neena. Being of the same power set, Neena, Molly, and Armor have formed a great bond.
    link

This other art is from a fan artist:
    dimaiv-nov:
    kristaferanka did a great job making this Neena Frost’s design. I really like Neena’s look and Kris’ works inspire me so I tried to suit her parents up the same way too. I wanted to make a whole family look integrally.
    Link

"No one should ever question where my allegiance lies." - Namor of Atlantis

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by ImperiusWrecked View Post
    Thanks everyone, I had been pretty sure Namor wasn't the dad, I think it makes more sense he wasn't because if they had been his and Marrina kids then with her being half human/half alien and Namor being half human/half atlantean then they would have been half human, quarter atlantean, quarter alien. I would rather the writers not give him more kids unless they intend to keep them, I do think he would make a good dad. I personally wish Kris Anka had been given a Namor book, he was very into Namor/Emma Frost a while back and I bet we could have had a good storyline with that, especially since he once showed off designs for Neena Frost, a Namor/Emma love child.

link

Link

I have my own ideas for a fan fiction of a battle between Marrina's kids and Namor. Now its in my todo list. Thanks for sharing the designs for Emma's and Namor's daughter, very interesting take. So much potential for story and character development there.

Quote Originally Posted by Thor-El View Post
    I have my own ideas for a fan fiction of a battle between Marrina's kids and Namor. Now its in my todo list. Thanks for sharing the designs for Emma's and Namor's daughter, very interesting take. So much potential for story and character development there.
    We def need more Namor content, a battle sounds good, especially if the kids inherited the tendencies of the father who iirc wanted to take over the world or something? I really need to reread those comics, its been ages. There is so much potential in Namor stories, its sad that Marvel can't see that.

Quote Originally Posted by Thor-El View Post
    I definitely do as well, mine's more a horror idea, and it would have the hatchlings be Namor's children.

Those are good designs, but for me, I'd rather keep Namor separated as much as possible from the X-World. I find Namor being just another mutant robs him of his uniqueness.

Quote Originally Posted by Doombot View Post
    I definitely do as well, mine's more a horror idea, and it would have the hatchlings be Namor's children.

Those are good designs, but for me, I'd rather keep Namor separated as much as possible from the X-World. I find Namor being just another mutant robs him of his uniqueness.
    I think being on an X team and as a supporting character is what robs him of the panel time he deserves. IIRC Namor was a mutant before even mutants were called that/created, in the comic 'wings on his feet' which was released 8 years before the x-men were created, the origin of Namor's ankles wings were written, he gained them when his life and his mother's life was in danger as a teen. So the basis of the mutant gene being triggered in those years was written, though the x-men did make it their own, and added everything we love about the x-men. I find this very interesting since Namor is then later called 'the first mutant' in several splash pages. So him being a mutant is just another part him but him being on an x team won't work,though I did enjoy that time in the comics, Namor needs to stand alone. I mean look what happened with xmen red, he was barely in that book and even though he was a part of that team, there were several group shots of everyone except him in that comic.

Yet another Namor CBR article, I mean, I don't mind and Marvel should be giving Namor more attention in his 80th year but these last few weeks have been one after another? I feel like they are trying to get more people interested in him and I'm keeping my fingers crossed for a solo announcement soon! Link

Mighty Member

I think being on an X team and as a supporting character is what robs him of the panel time he deserves. IIRC Namor was a mutant before even mutants were called that/created, in the comic 'wings on his feet' which was released 8 years before the x-men were created, the origin of Namor's ankles wings were written, he gained them when his life and his mother's life was in danger as a teen. So the basis of the mutant gene being triggered in those years was written, though the x-men did make it their own, and added everything we love about the x-men. I find this very interesting since Namor is then later called 'the first mutant' in several splash pages. So him being a mutant is just another part him but him being on an x team won't work,though I did enjoy that time in the comics, Namor needs to stand alone. I mean look what happened with xmen red, he was barely in that book and even though he was a part of that team, there were several group shots of everyone except him in that comic.

Wow, IM this is a story I didn't know about!!! Can I say once more how great is to have you and Reviresco in this board. I thought we were spoiled with Reviresco but now we have double the super fans. Its awesome to have fans onboard that know these characters so well. I joined around 2004-5 and knew basic stuff about Namor since I hadn't read none of the golden or silver age stories just the Byrne run and his Avengers tenure under Stern and of course my favorite 60s cartoons but slowly have been getting to know the character better, almost as much as my childhood all time favorite Thor. I still have to finish reading in order the golden age and silver age Namor appearance, its a project I have on the backburner but I know I'll do it.

Thanks Thor-El! I'm sure Rev knows way more since I'm still going through golden age stuff myself as well as some modern cameo appearances I haven't had time for yet. When I read 'wings on his feet' I was a bit shocked, because even though they don't say mutant, the premise of mutants and how they gain their ability through the x gene being triggered upon maturing through teenhood or being in a stressful situation was so clear here. I know Marvel did say Namor was a mutant the first time he appeared in the X-Men comics, and even though he isn't the oldest mutant in the chronological in universe timeline, I feel he really was the first prototype mutant to be made, especially since mutants are considered 'other' and shunned by society.

A quote from WIKI which if it is true and Everett did write this story, then it means that Everett came up with the idea of extra ablilties appearing in people long before the x-men were created. It wouldn't surprise me if Stan Lee and Jack Kirby were inspired by this story for mutants.

Bill Everett, in his first Sub-Mariner story, described the character as "an ultra-man of the deep [who] lives on land and in the sea, flies in the air, [and] has the strength of a thousand [surface] men". No other powers were mentioned. When the series was revived in 1954, Namor lost his ankle wings and with them the power of flight; they, and his full strength, were restored in Sub-Mariner Comics #38 (Feb. 1955), in which Everett additionally wrote a flashback story, "Wings on His Feet", detailing their appearance on Namor at age 14. This story was twice reprinted during the Silver Age of Comic Books, in Marvel Super-Heroes #17 (Nov. 1968), and in the book Comix by Les Daniels.
    Of course this is my theory, since Marvel definitely credits Lee and Kirby with the mutants but I still feel Everett should have had some recognition. The man really was a good story teller.

Here is the full comic of Wings on his Feet! I thought you might like to read it Thor-El.

wings on his feet 1.jpg

wings on his feet 2.jpg

wings on his feet 3.jpg

They recap that story as well in the Saga of The Sub-Mariner miniseries.

link

Link

Interesting look and background. Although I think it would be cool if she could still breathe underwater.
    We are the Dora Milaje. We are the daughters of the 18 tribes of Wakanda. We are the teeth of the Panther God. Out of 10,000 years of sweat and bloodshed and battle are we born. We are the women of this ancient land. Deadliest of the species. And our time has come!

Quote Originally Posted by nj06 View Post
    Interesting look and background. Although I think it would be cool if she could still breathe underwater.
    I think it would be cooler if she could still breath underwater too.

Quote Originally Posted by Doombot View Post
    They recap that story as well in the Saga of The Sub-Mariner miniseries.
    I read it there first years ago before reading the older one. It nice that they summarized that. Honestly I always rec Saga for readers to catch up on the older comics.

sotsm2.jpg

Gosh I love it when Namor smiles

AHHHHHHH. MORE INVADERS. This is a great year to be an Invaders fan. Link

Marvel Comics announces a new series, Captain America & The Invaders: The Bahamas Triangle, with issue #1 dropping this July. The book is written by Will Eisner Comic Book Hall of Famer Roy Thomas, with art by Inkpot Award-winning Jerry Ordway, and multiple variant covers by Ron Lim and Patch Zircher.

No one has a greater love for The Invaders than Thomas; he created the original team with artist Sal Buscema in The Avengers #71 (December 1969).

About the issue:
    March 1941. Assigned to safeguard President Roosevelt during a fishing trip in the Bahamas, the newly commissioned Cap endures his baptism under fire — while a German U-boat (carrying the Nazi super-soldier called Der Wunderkrieger (or Wonder Warrior) heads for the island chain’s capital! His mission: to kidnap England’s once-king, the Duke of Windsor, and sit him on the throne of a defeated Britain! But others happen to be in that part of the Atlantic as well — the once-bitter rivals the Sub-Mariner and the Human Torch!

Ordway has contributed to some of the biggest books in the industry during his career, and now we get to see what he comes up with working on vintage characters from Marvel’s early days.

This will be the second Invaders series out currently, joining the series by Chip Zdarsky, Carlos Magno, Butch Guice, Alex Guimaraes, and Travis Lanham.
    I've been reposting this everywhere cause I am excited!!!