Page 67 of 182 FirstFirst ... 175763646566676869707177117167 ... LastLast
Results 991 to 1,005 of 2721
    Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Reviresco View Post
    I love his expression.

As well as his ... dedication to fitness. Awesome cosplay!

I think he's put on some muscle. I don't remember his biceps being that big in the first picture I saw of him a couple of years ago.
    Yes, an inspiration, really. Time to hit the gym!

Citizen of Atlantis ImperiusWrecked's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    I have to wonder if this is a case of "it just happened to turn out that way." Roddenbury's initial vision of Spock was nothing like any of the interpretations that made it to the screen.
    Which is why I would love to see the article this letter writer referred to. As much as I love Namor's look, I realize he didn't exactly originate it.

What was Roddenberry's initial vision of Spock?
    I have been trying to find something out for years as well and will keep trying to find out where that article is, it's hard since I don't have much time for it or even know where to start exactly. I am not sure, but wasn't Spock's og design supposed to have red skin? Or look more devil like? Namor was reintroduced in 1962 with the FF and Star Trek came out in 1966, so the parallels are there but we lack the hard core evidence to prove it.
    "No one should ever question where my allegiance lies." - Namor of Atlantis

Citizen of Atlantis ImperiusWrecked's Avatar

Thank you for this! I knew I'd read somewhere about the Spock connection. I wish I could find that article the writer referenced. People always point to the obvious looks, but because of their personalities, seem to forget the other core similarity. Both Spock and Namor are mixed race, and it's definitely shaped their characters. Interestingly, both have chosen to try to more like their chosen race than anyone from that race.
    I totally agree about the similarities with both characters, while Namor is much more expressive with his emotions (rage, arrogance, etc) Spock is more reserved, but both struggle to navigate a world(s) where they are considered "other" or Halfbreeds since Spock had to deal with being half human just as Namor does. Other things that are similar besides the strange eyebrows, black hair, and pointed ears: Namor has a friend named Jim, Spock has a friend named Jim. (both Jim's are blonde men). Hope one day to find out if this is true, and I once met/asked a OG Trekkie who was around when Star Trek first came out, and she had said that Gene was a fan of comics. Link

Hello, dear heart! I have been away and am just now seeing this.

I’m afraid I don’t know anything about Prince Namor, but I do know that Gene loved science fiction and he loved comics, so it would seem logical (sorry – can’t help myself 😉 ) that his conscious or subconscious mind was inspired by elements of this in creating Star Trek. He would have been 18 when Prince Namor was created, and from what you tell me, it would seem there must be a connection.

If other characters sometimes call Namor “Spock” then surely there can be no doubt! Did the “Spock” nickname come along prior to 1966, or after? If after, it would seem that Gene created (in part) a tribute to Namor, and Namor’s author(s) & illustrator(s) returned the favor in a sort of mutual fandom love fest. How cool would that be??

Thanks for sharing this with me. I’ve put Prince Namor into my list of things to check out – you’ve sparked my curiosity!

Thanks for being part of my fandom family.

Love and LLAP, Grandma
    I then replied and told her that some of the Spock references did come later. Sadly she passed on a short time later so the Star Trek community was saddened by her passing. We all know that Namor was very popular in the early days, and I feel it could have made an impact for inspiration. I personally love that it created inspiration for such an iconic character but I don't have that article that mentioned, I think that would have been sure fire proof that theory is right, just like the Darth Vader is inspired from Doctor Doom theory.

I love this! Especially the blue plastic bag water chasing them around. LOL!

An amazing amount of work for this kind of animation. Excellent work! I need to add it to the front page.

Thanks for posting!
    You're welcome!

Quote Originally Posted by Thor-El View Post
    Last week-end was The Great Philadelphia Comic Con and Mr. Baaden represented with Sub-mariner in a couple of his suits he created from Subby's old wardrobe. Really excellent job and really cool pictures. He also creates costumes for other cosplayer friends, there was an awesome Moonknight costume he created and a Valzod.
    Very awesome cosplay!
    "No one should ever question where my allegiance lies." - Namor of Atlantis

Quote Originally Posted by Things Fall Apart View Post
    I don't think Coogler would be interested in making a movie like that. There were a lot of themes going on in BP regarding how the dynamic of victims of the black diaspora, and a contemplation the level of shared responsibility black people owe to one another.
    Actually I think he might be very interested in an open conflict between Atlantis and Wakanda, especially if Namor and the MCU Atlantis is Asian-y. Unfortunately a lot of African-American creators seem to want to paint Asians in a negative light recently. Ryan Coogler with a motorbike scene in Creed, that culture has a strong anti-Asian bias, and with the villainous Korean woman in Black Panther. In addition Jordan Peele's inclusion of a lone Asian man in league with the body snatchers in Get Out is the main reason I did not go see Us at theaters.

Quote Originally Posted by Doombot View Post
    I think the hydrokinesis is an interesting part of this story, it's a cool twist, but I wouldn't want him to keep it.
    Yeah seems like a tacky add-on. Kinda like the Madrox like powers they gave Shang Chi. What they should have done to the Master of Kung Fu is simply give him some more Stark Tech. They gave him those Resilient nunchuks, then go full on Bruce Lee and give him some mirror gadget which gives him the ability to turn any battle into Enter the Dragon's end fight.

Then again I still don't like the fact Perez gave Wonder Woman a sword and shield. The lasso and bracers are fine and if they were good enough for Lynda Carter they're good enough for Gal Gadot.

Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Majestic View Post
    Actually I think he might be very interested in an open conflict between Atlantis and Wakanda, especially if Namor and the MCU Atlantis is Asian-y. Unfortunately a lot of African-American creators seem to want to paint Asians in a negative light recently. Ryan Coogler with a motorbike scene in Creed, that culture has a strong anti-Asian bias, and with the villainous Korean woman in Black Panther. In addition Jordan Peele's inclusion of a lone Asian man in league with the body snatchers in Get Out is the main reason I did not go see Us at theaters.
    O_o
    I'm not sure what you are talking about, but that isn't the impression I got from either Black Panther or Jordan Peele's Get Out. As I said repeatedly, I'm not interested in seeing Namor in a Black Panther movie as an opponent.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Majestic View Post
    Yeah seems like a tacky add-on. Kinda like the Madrox like powers they gave Shang Chi. What they should have done to the Master of Kung Fu is simply give him some more Stark Tech. They gave him those Resilient nunchuks, then go full on Bruce Lee and give him some mirror gadget which gives him the ability to turn any battle into Enter the Dragon's end fight.

Then again I still don't like the fact Perez gave Wonder Woman a sword and shield. The lasso and bracers are fine and if they were good enough for Lynda Carter they're good enough for Gal Gadot.

Heh. I'm sure they think they have to 'upgrade' from the 1970s.

That may be part of the reason why I'm somewhat torn about Namor's new hydrokinesis powers -- and probably why they will be temporary. They appear to be stolen from Hydro Man. We haven't gotten much information about how that was accomplished and whether or not it is temporary. It might have been different if Namor had gotten the power from Neptune or an Atlantean artifact. Though, I suppose Namor could have taken the powers via an artifact.
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

INVADERS #7
    CHIP ZDARSKY (W)
    CARLOS MAGNO & BUTCH GUICE (A)
    Cover by BUTCH GUICE
    DEAD IN THE WATER!
    • The world is forever changed.
    • The INVADERS are shattered.
    • And NAMOR is the world’s greatest threat.
    32 PGS./Rated T+ …$3.99

Speaking of Namor's new powers ... the solicit for July's Invaders. Though, I'm thinking it isn't Namor's hydrokinesis, but his special bombs that make him a World Threat ... again. ;p
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

Boisterously Confused

Which is why I would love to see the article this letter writer referred to. As much as I love Namor's look, I realize he didn't exactly originate it.

What was Roddenberry's initial vision of Spock?
    From ThoughtCo. "Spock looks very alien, but Roddenberry's original concept for Spock looked even more alien. Originally, Spock was meant to be half-Martian with a 'reddish complexion.' That changed when they discovered the red makeup would look black on black-and-white TVs still in use at the time. Roddenberry also wanted Spock to not eat or drink, but absorb energy through a plate in his stomach. Thankfully, he was talked out of that idea by one of the writers."

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    From ThoughtCo. "Spock looks very alien, but Roddenberry's original concept for Spock looked even more alien. Originally, Spock was meant to be half-Martian with a 'reddish complexion.' That changed when they discovered the red makeup would look black on black-and-white TVs still in use at the time. Roddenberry also wanted Spock to not eat or drink, but absorb energy through a plate in his stomach. Thankfully, he was talked out of that idea by one of the writers."
    Hmmm. Things I didn't know. And am glad they discarded. LOL! Though, now I'm wondering, did they intend the Klingons to be more red, than black?

Okay, here's the map for War of Realms. Anyone notice the giant plot hole here? Or the huge opportunity missed, AGAIN, in this event?

I, personally, cannot wait for the Avengers to arrest and incarcerate these murdering invaders, especially the Roxxon employees / citizens, and give them all a fair trial without capital punishment.

Where is my "Namor is Right" panel?

Why did the Frost Giants claim North America? Wouldn't it make more sense to claim Antartica?

Not reading this event so I'm sure if that was explained or not.
    Idea's Open Discussion And Growth. Silencing Idea's Confirms Them To Be True In The Minds Of Those Who Hold Them. The Attempt Of Eliminating Idea's Proves You To Be A Fool.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by DragonsChi View Post
    Why did the Frost Giants claim North America? Wouldn't it make more sense to claim Antartica?

S
    P
    O
    I
    L
    E
    R
    S
    for Avengers #18

I'm not reading the series either but there's an article here in CBR that gives away that in Avengers #18 that came out today it is revealed that Mephisto is the one that resurrected Agent Coulson so I wonder if he has anything to do with Namor's black eyes??!

S
    P
    O
    I
    L
    E
    R
    S
    for Avengers #18

I'm not reading the series either but there's an article here in CBR that gives away that in Avengers #18 that came out today it is revealed that Mephisto is the one that resurrected Agent Coulson so I wonder if he has anything to do with Namor's black eyes??!
    I sort of doubt it ... unless Aaron is trying to say Namor made a deal with Mephisto??? And that would be the same Namor that is in Invaders. I'm still guessing that it has something to do with the Celestials, just like She-Hulk.

Mighty Member

I sort of doubt it ... unless Aaron is trying to say Namor made a deal with Mephisto??? And that would be the same Namor that is in Invaders. I'm still guessing that it has something to do with the Celestials, just like She-Hulk.
    Hmm, it could be the Celestials.

Hmm, it could be the Celestials.
    Well, that's just my opinion ... which considering how wrong I've been about Aaron's use of Namor, or more precisely non-use of Namor, I wouldn't say it is all that valuable. ;p

Quote Originally Posted by DragonsChi View Post

I'm not reading it either. But it does seem odd. I think they drew the short stick, what with all the superheroes in North America.

My beef, is if the Asgardians were only sticking to land, it would have made a lot of sense to evacuate to the WATER, i.e. 75% of the planet. Of course, they would have had to NOT tick off Namor, as they regularly do.

For that matter, they should be begging Namor for help ... at least the islands and coasts. He could sweep those clean.