Page 79 of 96 FirstFirst ... 296975767778798081828389 ... LastLast
Results 1,171 to 1,185 of 1437
  1. #1171
    Fantastic Member Eto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Posts
    316

    Default

    I've been reading some Namor back issues (2003, 12-issue run, 2010 run), but recently I've read the 6-issue run which took place during Civil War.
    I liked the series, but I'd like to know what to read next since it ended on a cliffhanger? (Atlantis in ruins, Namor and his people go to Latveria?)
    Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by Eto; 05-29-2019 at 06:13 AM.

  2. #1172
    Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    The Sunless Realm
    Posts
    8,182

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Eto View Post
    I've been reading some Namor back issues (2003, 12-issue run, 2010 run), but recently I've read the 6-issue run which took place during Civil War.
    I liked the series, but I'd like to know what to read next since it ended on a cliffhanger? (Atlantis in ruins, Namor and his people go to Latveria?)
    Thanks in advance.
    One of the much lamented, and sadly too often occurring, dropped story lines -- if you can believe. That had to be one of the all time greatest cliffhangers, and Marvel did no real follow up. There's two mini-series that aren't really so much about 616 Namor. He's in AVENGERS INVADERS as both an Invader and 616 Namor. The other mini-series is a great psychological horror story, but despite the title, that particular Namor doesn't actually have much panel time. It's call SUB-MARINER THE DEPTHS.

    Have you read New Avengers: The Illuminati? It retcons alot of stuff, and will be important in the future, but Namor is the star of that series, I


    Let's see, it's pretty scattered after that post Civil War mini-series. IIRC, Namor's next appearance is in:


    Order 6 and 7.


    There's a bunch of Dark Reign / Cabal appearances that I need to look up that follow. While they don't have anything to do with that I recommend these three arcs.


    Incredible Hercules 121- 123 (which is hilarious, so a bit different from the Namor you've probably been reading.)

    Winter Soldier Winter Kills, and Captain America 46-48

    The Marvels Project 1-8
    Last edited by Reviresco; 05-29-2019 at 07:05 AM.
    ***Namor75 Celebration Threads***

    IMPERIUS REX FOREVER

  3. #1173
    Mighty Member Thor-El's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Between Asgard & Krypton
    Posts
    1,255

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Eto View Post
    I've been reading some Namor back issues (2003, 12-issue run, 2010 run), but recently I've read the 6-issue run which took place during Civil War.
    I liked the series, but I'd like to know what to read next since it ended on a cliffhanger? (Atlantis in ruins, Namor and his people go to Latveria?)
    Thanks in advance.
    I think that once characters stop having their solo series they start to become weaker and undefined as they go thru too many different interpretations. Some people like to just read modern comics but to me if you really want to know Namor as the character the way he was originally intended by his creator you need to go to the golden age and then the silver age. Marvel Mystery Comics and his first two solo series from the 40's and then the 70s are a must read.

  4. #1174
    Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    The Sunless Realm
    Posts
    8,182

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Thor-El View Post
    I think that once characters stop having their solo series they start to become weaker and undefined as they go thru too many different interpretations. Some people like to just read modern comics but to me if you really want to know Namor as the character the way he was originally intended by his creator you need to go to the golden age and then the silver age. Marvel Mystery Comics and his first two solo series from the 40's and then the 70s are a must read.
    Well, whenever a character is a guest star, he's basically being used / abused to further the solo book's story. You get the 'definitive' character in his own book, IMO. Not to sound too much like a geezer, but back in the Silver, and even Bronze Age, I think the writers' tended to use, rather than abuse, guest characters. Nowadays, you get trash like SS happening.

    The Golden Age isn't in continuity per se, but it's an excellent view to the original creator's, Bill Everett, intentions -- and it is a lot of fun, except for the WWII propaganda. Everett's Namor is not the Namor I grew up reading and loving -- it was Stan Lee and Roy Thomas noble, but hot tempered, Namor. But I later came to enjoy and respect what Everett did with his original creation. So, yes, I definitely recommend the Silver / Bronze Age Tales to Astonish and Sub-Mariner series, my favorites, if you don't mind reading older comics.
    ***Namor75 Celebration Threads***

    IMPERIUS REX FOREVER

  5. #1175
    Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    The Sunless Realm
    Posts
    8,182

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Thor-El View Post
    Rev, so glad to see you back and read your comments, makes me want to continue with my comic. So much stuff I want to do between the read-a-thons and the online comics I do need 48 hour days and a 7 day week-end.
    It's good to be back, though I'm not sure for how long. Things have been crazy with an endless plate of things to do and due.

    And YES! So much fandom stuff I'd rather be doing. We'll both get back to it shortly, I'm sure.



    Quote Originally Posted by Thor-El View Post
    This is exciting and love how they have positioned Namor as almost a mystery silhouette but the new armor and hair ugh! I guess I should be just happy he is being used at all.
    LOL! Well, his hair doesn't look quite as shaggy. I would prefer the speedo too, but ah well. At least we have that in Puzzle Quest. And I agree. He's very shark like in the promo.

    I can't believe the day has come where Namor is in TWO games! FINALLY!
    ***Namor75 Celebration Threads***

    IMPERIUS REX FOREVER

  6. #1176
    Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    The Sunless Realm
    Posts
    8,182

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Doombot View Post
    Who are some characters or some areas of the MU that you would like Namor to interact with in future (hypothetical) stories?
    Quote Originally Posted by H-E-D View Post
    She's pretty obscure, but, Jennifer Kale. She learned her magic from the Tome of Zhered-Na, and Zhered-Na was an ancient Atlantean sorcerer... Perhaps a bit of a tenuous connection there, but it's something.
    Quote Originally Posted by Doombot View Post
    Interesting choice. I've never heard of the character, but sorcery and ancient Atlantis? I'm so in.
    An excellent choice, with Jennifer Kale! I haven't kept up with her stuff at all, but looking at the database, I see she was in a 00 series called The Witches? And she appears to be tied to Weird World in her most recent appearances. The ties to Zhered-Na should definitely be explored as she's contemporary with Kammu and Zarta. Lots of cool magic and ancient Atlantis stories could be explored.

    I'd love to see it tie in with Suma Ket and Artys Gran.

    And while we are at it, let's bring in Clea ... or Dr Strange.

    Oh, and that Atlantean sorceress Cullen Bunn created. Ardnea.
    ***Namor75 Celebration Threads***

    IMPERIUS REX FOREVER

  7. #1177
    Spectacular Member Doombot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    198

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Reviresco View Post
    And while we are at it, let's bring in Clea ... or Dr Strange.
    I would LOVE to see a great story where Namor has to call upon Strange to help him unravel some ancient horror mystery. One where Strange is the guest in a Sub-Mariner story and he has to come to Atlantis. I'm assuming Strange would have to travel to Atlantis is his astral from? Can he physically travel through the ocean with just a spell or something?

  8. #1178
    Citizen of Atlantis ImperiusWrecked's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Location
    Atlantis
    Posts
    689

    Default

    Old Man Namor shows up in Major X (2019) #4. Also it looks like he has twins, Nomar and Lora, but not sure exactly. These are the only panels he appears in but there is a bit more with the kids themselves. I haven't been reading this comic but it was pointed out to me on twitter that Namor shows up.

    Edit: I was also told that Namor's kids first appear in issue 2





    Also good to see you back Rev!!!
    Last edited by ImperiusWrecked; 05-29-2019 at 10:35 PM.
    "No one should ever question where my allegiance lies." - Namor of Atlantis

  9. #1179
    Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    The Sunless Realm
    Posts
    8,182

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Doombot View Post
    I would LOVE to see a great story where Namor has to call upon Strange to help him unravel some ancient horror mystery. One where Strange is the guest in a Sub-Mariner story and he has to come to Atlantis. I'm assuming Strange would have to travel to Atlantis is his astral from? Can he physically travel through the ocean with just a spell or something?
    He's done both. Though, generally I dislike having airbreathers show up to Atlantis, cause the writers make it look easy and totally ignore how hostile the environment is. Human beings just can't take the crushing pressures, even if they have their little breathing masks, they move SSSSSLLLLLOOOOOOWWWWW because of the immense weight of water on their bodies, they can't see, see they can't hear well, and they have no idea which direction is up. However, Dr. Strange (and Clea) can get something of a pass, because he's got spells.

    There has been a few cross over magic stories between Namor and Strange because of Atlantis, IIRC. We can definitely have more. Especially since Stuart Moore clarified Namor's role in Atlantean magic. I'm surprised Strange hasn't tried to turn Namor into a magical battery. LOL! Maybe that's why they are 'friends?'
    ***Namor75 Celebration Threads***

    IMPERIUS REX FOREVER

  10. #1180
    Spectacular Member Doombot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    198

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Reviresco View Post
    He's done both. Though, generally I dislike having airbreathers show up to Atlantis, cause the writers make it look easy and totally ignore how hostile the environment is. Human beings just can't take the crushing pressures, even if they have their little breathing masks, they move SSSSSLLLLLOOOOOOWWWWW because of the immense weight of water on their bodies, they can't see, see they can't hear well, and they have no idea which direction is up. However, Dr. Strange (and Clea) can get something of a pass, because he's got spells.

    There has been a few cross over magic stories between Namor and Strange because of Atlantis, IIRC. We can definitely have more. Especially since Stuart Moore clarified Namor's role in Atlantean magic. I'm surprised Strange hasn't tried to turn Namor into a magical battery. LOL! Maybe that's why they are 'friends?'
    Namor's role in Atlantean magic? Can you elaborate? I'm not sure I know which story you're referencing.

  11. #1181
    Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    The Sunless Realm
    Posts
    8,182

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Doombot View Post
    Namor's role in Atlantean magic? Can you elaborate? I'm not sure I know which story you're referencing.
    In Stuart Moore's Namor the First Mutant, the last arc, IIRC. Moore created the position of Logomancer, which was basically the Royal Wizard. And Moore leaned into the old "abilities" of kings. And Moore stated the ruler of Atlantis the role of conduit of Atlantean magic. Here's the page. Bottom left corner.




    In this run, Namor's blood is also a magical ingredient. But this wasn't the first time we saw this. In the Suma Ket story, Byrrah's royal blood was used to open a magical ward to release Suma Ket into the world again.
    Last edited by Reviresco; 05-30-2019 at 10:11 PM.
    ***Namor75 Celebration Threads***

    IMPERIUS REX FOREVER

  12. #1182
    Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    The Sunless Realm
    Posts
    8,182

    Default

    I'm hoping for more pages with Namor in the Marvel 1000, but it looks there will be at least one with the Invaders. Not sure who the artist is.

    ***Namor75 Celebration Threads***

    IMPERIUS REX FOREVER

  13. #1183
    Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    The Sunless Realm
    Posts
    8,182

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ImperiusWrecked View Post
    Old Man Namor shows up in Major X (2019) #4. Also it looks like he has twins, Nomar and Lora, but not sure exactly. These are the only panels he appears in but there is a bit more with the kids themselves. I haven't been reading this comic but it was pointed out to me on twitter that Namor shows up.

    Edit: I was also told that Namor's kids first appear in issue 2





    Also good to see you back Rev!!!
    Thanks! This week has definitely been hectic. O_O

    Interesting ... though, I'm a bit surprised. I'm not a Liefield fan, so I hadn't even looked at those. Can't say I'm really feeling Old Man Namor. Do we know anything else about the kids? Like who is their mom? I'm trying to remember who has white hair?

    I'm also a bit confused about why this "creator" couldn't have created a place that had clean oceans??
    ***Namor75 Celebration Threads***

    IMPERIUS REX FOREVER

  14. #1184
    Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    The Sunless Realm
    Posts
    8,182

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ImperiusWrecked View Post
    Third: I came across a Gambit fan website, that is honestly amazing, its got alot of things there about the character and I began to think if maybe we couldn't do something like that for Namor? The best thing about this website is the comic apperances rating scale! Its got a list of comic appearances with a number which indicates how important this is to the character, with the lower number meaning the character is only shown on panel with no speaking role, to a higher number which means this character has an active role. This would have been SO helpful for buying comics cause there is nothing worse imo than buying a comic and finding out that Namor is nothing but background.

    I know how to run blogs/post new content/keeps things updated provided I have the free time to do so, but my coding skills would be very stretched to attempt to pull off something on this larger scale. However the thought of having one dedicated site that kept updating monthly and has all the info one would ever need about Namor and his world is so tempting. I am seriously considering it however creating a website from scratch and having a place to host the images etc. would be an undertaking and something I have never done before, though I do have basic HTML skills I know enough to know that this is gonna require a massive effort. I thought to ask everyone what you all thought? and to ask if there was some way to accomplish this? or if anyone knows any website making skills/knows someone who has these skills and is willing to consider planning this out with me?

    Well other than the new game info for Namor which I've already posted about the only other news I have is that Namora will be showing up in the New Agents of Atlas comic coming out this summer, Greg Pak said on his twitter that she and the old team would be there for an appearance. I like namora so i will be picking up the new comic.
    I have a website. But sadly, I've never really set it up -- the best intentions and all. In part, because I have to teach myself, and in part, the time issue and in part I couldn't decide on a format. ONE day, however ...

    That Gambit site is nice. Have you seen the Daredevil one? It is AMAZING.

    http://www.manwithoutfear.com/daredevil.shtml
    ***Namor75 Celebration Threads***

    IMPERIUS REX FOREVER

  15. #1185
    Citizen of Atlantis ImperiusWrecked's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Location
    Atlantis
    Posts
    689

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Reviresco View Post
    I'm hoping for more pages with Namor in the Marvel 1000, but it looks there will be at least one with the Invaders. Not sure who the artist is.
    I hope there is more to Namor than just one story/page with the Invaders! I love the team but come on, Namor needs something alone or focused on him.

    Quote Originally Posted by Reviresco View Post
    Thanks! This week has definitely been hectic. O_O

    Interesting ... though, I'm a bit surprised. I'm not a Liefield fan, so I hadn't even looked at those. Can't say I'm really feeling Old Man Namor. Do we know anything else about the kids? Like who is their mom? I'm trying to remember who has white hair?

    I'm also a bit confused about why this "creator" couldn't have created a place that had clean oceans??
    This comic seems to be set either in the future or an au verse, I haven't bothered reading more than two issues though. Here is a few scans from issue 2 with the kids, and they talk a bit more in another panel but thats about it. Seems like the old earth or world was abandoned? They all moved to this new one where things were ok before it all went bad. Old man Namor is just Namor with white hair He still has abs of steel. lol, I don't know, it doesn't seem like the Atlanteans play much of a role here except for them to say how the oceans are going bad and for Major X to remind them of their place when they get angry. But I can't really judge cause I haven't read more and I feel no need to unless I get more of the twins (I'm calling them twins bc I don't know that they are not) Writer is Liefeld but Brent Peeples is penciling the interior:




    Quote Originally Posted by Reviresco View Post
    I have a website. But sadly, I've never really set it up -- the best intentions and all. In part, because I have to teach myself, and in part, the time issue and in part I couldn't decide on a format. ONE day, however ...

    That Gambit site is nice. Have you seen the Daredevil one? It is AMAZING.

    http://www.manwithoutfear.com/daredevil.shtml
    OMG!!!! They even have a fan message board!!! This is stunning! I swear Namor needs his own site like this! I will have to chat with you later about your site, do you have a link to it? I'm still thinking about making one but I'm holding off a bit until I know I will have more free time to work on it, since I don't want to start the project without at least knowing that I have a 80% shot at completing it.
    "No one should ever question where my allegiance lies." - Namor of Atlantis

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •