Page 99 of 182 FirstFirst ... 49899596979899100101102103109149 ... LastLast
Results 1,471 to 1,485 of 2721

Not replaced, but just left on a shelf.

Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ImperiusWrecked View Post
    Rumors and a leak about upcoming characters for Marvel Future Fight, it includes Namor, Wave, and Silver Surfer. The leaks were taken down but I saw this online, it looks like Namor may be coming in august maybe? link

I am stunned and amazed that we will get Namor in THREE games this year. Of course, it's been long, long, long overdue. And as DragonChi said, I would have hoped he would be the lead in that announcement. But then again, they are doing the same to Silver Surfer, so it isn't like Namor is being singled out for an add on, "oh, and BTW," announcement.

Quote Originally Posted by DragonsChi View Post
    I honestly don't think a Namor movie would be a good idea.

The current time we live... with the culture the way it is... Namor would be so much bait to utterly destroy.

I think at best we should hope for a Namor book and wish/pray a Namor movie doesn't happen until the world regains their collective senses.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ptrvc View Post
    If he was really lucky he might get one good movie before being replaced.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reviresco View Post
    I'm not sure exactly what you're referring to ... there's some much going on now. But again. We seriously doubt we'll get any kind of comic book push / book, until the movie / TV side starts doing something him. Sadly, that's just the way Marvel is now. The tail wagging the dog.

Thing is...your probably won't even get Namor if that happens. And if you do...he more then likely won't be the same character that we have in the books. Which will in the end effect how he is represented in the books there after.
    The bolded is defintely true. If we, God forbid, got a Teen Namor raised on land in the movies, the comic book Namor would be regressed to adolescence somehow, and his entire history wiped out.

Glad to see Namor is possibly getting a shot at being in Marvels Future Flight game. However, once again Wave is taking center stage as Marvel's water character.

More writing on the wall...?
    IS Wave a water character at all? I mean, is she a water breather? I thought she was something like Stingray.

Quote Originally Posted by BlackClaw View Post
    What makes you think he’ll be replaced?
    Quote Originally Posted by Doombot View Post
    Not replaced, but just left on a shelf.
    I don't see how Wave is going to replace Namor. Not in the comics or in any movie / TV attempt. I can see Marvel pushing her for a short time, and, as Doombot said, putting Namor more on the shelf, cause editorial just doesn't care.
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

Couldn't Namor perhaps be introduced into the MCU as a diplomat on behalf of Atlantis? Either way I think saving him for an inevitable MCU Fantastic Four film would be the best; introduce him as an anti-villain who sides with Doom, but makes a heel-face turn by the end of the film so he can be ready to be a good guy by the second. I still think either Luke Evans (check out the realistic Namor in the crowd cover, looks just like him) or Daniel Dae Kim (unless he's too old) should play him in the MCU.
    The city I once knew as home is teetering on the edge of radioactive oblivion

Quote Originally Posted by Spiderfang View Post
    Couldn't Namor perhaps be introduced into the MCU as a diplomat on behalf of Atlantis? Either way I think saving him for an inevitable MCU Fantastic Four film would be the best; introduce him as an anti-villain who sides with Doom, but makes a heel-face turn by the end of the film so he can be ready to be a good guy by the second. I still think either Luke Evans (check out the realistic Namor in the crowd cover, looks just like him) or Daniel Dae Kim (unless he's too old) should play him in the MCU.
    I love Namor, and I think he has a lot more ... diplomacy skills than some writers portray, but I don't really think of him as a diplomat first. He's something of a drama queen. When he shows up in the MCU, it's going to be in a burst of bigger than life, righteous outrage!

I could live with Namor first appearing in an FF movie, since that's how he was introduced into the Silver Age. Though, I would have preferred a WWII, Invaders introduction, I think that boat has sailed.

I'm not so sure about Evans. He was great as Gaston, so we know he can play arrogant, but I'm not so sure about his intensity. Daniel Dae Kim is 50. It would be a push for him to play Namor now. Casting Namor is tough. He has to have great physicality, intense personality, and an ability to spout some theatrical bombast. Oh, and also bring the sexy.
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

Mighty Member

I'm hoping this gets resolved and puts Namor back on his heroic path.

Major betrayal? Of who? And who's betraying? Namor???
    When Zdarsky was interviewed he said the only way he was interested in writing Namor was as a hero but if that's were he is going it has taken forever. All we've seen is a brainwashed crazy Namor again menacing the surface world. Hopefully there is a turning point really close by now, would be nice if he could go back to basics visually as well but by now I'm not expecting that change, I think we will have vampire Namor for awhile but at least a heroic Namor as a teammate with Cap and the Human Torch would be nice.

Link Marvel is gonna be rereleasing Marvel Mystery Comics #1 and doing a bunch of other stuff this August for their 80th anniversary, I only hope that we get some Namor stuff too.
    I don't know why I keep reading these things. They just make me mad. Once again, we don't have Namor on the poster celebrating the publication of Marvel Comics #1. Worse, we have Marvel editorial spouting nonsense.

"For myself and almost every other comic book fan around the world, Marvel's beloved comics and characters have been a part of our lives for as long as we can remember. But it all started with the Human Torch." said C.B. Cebulski, Editor-in-Chief of Marvel. "As we salute Marvel's 80th anniversary this year, we're excited to celebrate Marvel's official birthday!"
    No. Not really, CB. It all started with Namor. At the very least you could acknowledge both Namor and Torch.

But again, I'm not sure what I expect when their poster features Squirrel Girl and leaves off Reed Richards and most of the X-men.

Mighty Member

I love Namor, and I think he has a lot more ... diplomacy skills than some writers portray, but I don't really think of him as a diplomat first. He's something of a drama queen. When he shows up in the MCU, it's going to be in a burst of bigger than life, righteous outrage!

I could live with Namor first appearing in an FF movie, since that's how he was introduced into the Silver Age. Though, I would have preferred a WWII, Invaders introduction, I think that boat has sailed.

I'm not so sure about Evans. He was great as Gaston, so we know he can play arrogant, but I'm not so sure about his intensity. Daniel Dae Kim is 50. It would be a push for him to play Namor now. Casting Namor is tough. He has to have great physicality, intense personality, and an ability to spout some theatrical bombast. Oh, and also bring the sexy.
    I was looking at Leonardo Di Caprio in Once Upon a Time in Hollywood interviews and it hit me what a good Namor he would make. His features are spot on, he has the widow's peek, the arched eyebrows, he is tall and would make an imposing figure with a great presence. But I wouldn't expect DiCaprio to have the musculature, and with his long frame very difficult to put a lot of muscle mass at his age so it would be a covered in armor Namor which for most people would be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Thor-El View Post
    When Zdarsky was interviewed he said the only way he was interested in writing Namor was as a hero but if that's were he is going it has taken forever. All we've seen is a brainwashed crazy Namor again menacing the surface world. Hopefully there is a turning point really close by now, would be nice if he could go back to basics visually as well but by now I'm not expecting that change, I think we will have vampire Namor for awhile but at least a heroic Namor as a teammate with Cap and the Human Torch would be nice.

I agree. Bring back the speedo and heroic Namor!

That's a cool pic! Is from the 60s TV show?

Quote Originally Posted by Thor-El View Post
    I was looking at Leonardo Di Caprio in Once Upon a Time in Hollywood interviews and it hit me what a good Namor he would make. His features are spot on, he has the widow's peek, the arched eyebrows, he is tall and would make an imposing figure with a great presence. But I wouldn't expect DiCaprio to have the musculature, and with his long frame very difficult to put a lot of muscle mass at his age so it would be a covered in armor Namor which for most people would be fine.
    I can't believe I'm saying this, but DiCaprio is getting older too. LOL!

I'm not sure about him either. He's never really hooked me in any of his movies.

Mighty Member

That's a cool pic! Is from the 60s TV show?
    Yes, it is. Those 5 to me should be The Avengers roster that never leaves, yes including Namor.

I can't believe I'm saying this, but DiCaprio is getting older too. LOL!

I'm not sure about him either. He's never really hooked me in any of his movies.
    He has an intensity as an actor that I think would be very well suited to Namor.

Cool idea. I would be unimpressed if there was not some service to Namor's early Silver age appearances - and yes, that means some sort of confusion or mix up with Sue and Reed.

Citizen of Atlantis ImperiusWrecked's Avatar

So I did make an 80th edit with the characters variant cover, I want to do one with all the submariner characters but that will take much longer so for now I made this one over the weekend. The Alex Ross art from Invaders #1 didn't match the look very well so I used another Namor art by Marko Djurdjevic from a Sub-Mariner variant cover. I thought it fit better.

namor80bordervariantedit.jpg
    "No one should ever question where my allegiance lies." - Namor of Atlantis

Astonishing Member

The bolded is defintely true. If we, God forbid, got a Teen Namor raised on land in the movies, the comic book Namor would be regressed to adolescence somehow, and his entire history wiped out.
    I don't know about that. Fans sometimes make a bigger deal out of "synergy" than the comics actually do. I'm certainly not saying that it hasn't influenced things in the comics sometimes, or that there is no reason for concern....but its pretty rare that everything that has been established about a character has been thrown away to try and line up with the movie or tv portrayal. If anything, I think the comics have started to ease back from that a bit in recent years.

Citizen of Atlantis ImperiusWrecked's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dermie View Post
    I don't know about that. Fans sometimes make a bigger deal out of "synergy" than the comics actually do. I'm certainly not saying that it hasn't influenced things in the comics sometimes, or that there is no reason for concern....but its pretty rare that everything that has been established about a character has been thrown away to try and line up with the movie or tv portrayal. If anything, I think the comics have started to ease back from that a bit in recent years.
    Wanda and Pietro Maximoff have been mutants since day 1 of their introduction, not only did Marvel mcu not show it in the movie (which i could understand bc of rights issues) but they went further and changed them in the comics too, its the most hated and ignored retcon in comic fandom that I am aware of. Taking away years of them struggling with the idea, especially pietro, that they are children of a villain and all the storylines that came with that, now being told that they dont matter because they aren't mutants anymore. There was no need to change them except for Marvel comics changing to fit the mcu, which i hate. It's a valid concern that marvel comics would change namor to fit a namor movie version.
    "No one should ever question where my allegiance lies." - Namor of Atlantis

Astonishing Member

Wanda and Pietro Maximoff have been mutants since day 1 of their introduction, not only did Marvel mcu not show it in the movie (which i could understand bc of rights issues) but they went further and changed them in the comics too, its the most hated and ignored retcon in comic fandom that I am aware of. Taking away years of them struggling with the idea, especially pietro, that they are children of a villain and all the storylines that came with that, now being told that they dont matter because they aren't mutants anymore. There was no need to change them except for Marvel comics changing to fit the mcu, which i hate. It's a valid concern that marvel comics would change namor to fit a namor movie version.
    Yep, I did acknowledge that there IS reason for concern. I'm just saying it isn't the foregone conclusion that some people immediately panic and assume it will be.

As you noted, the Wanda and Pietro situation was connected to issues surrounding rights, not just for those two characters but also for mutants in general. That was less about making them fit the MCU versions than it was about clearly defining them as Marvel Studios turf (although Pietro ended up getting more screentime with the X-movies than he did in the MCU anyway).