Page 37 of 182 FirstFirst ... 273334353637383940414787137 ... LastLast
    Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar

Just read in another thread, that the new weekly Avengers event just killed off the Greek pantheon, except Herc. I guess there won't be any Neptune Holidays in the Atlanteans near future. ugh.
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

Citizen of Atlantis ImperiusWrecked's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Reviresco View Post
    We will sing it until it gets done!

I think, like the origin of many traditional surface world holidays, most of the Atlantean holidays come from the cycle of nature. Though, I think they are far closer to the reason for those holidays than surface dwellers. It would look better on the screen, but it would still be awesome to have things like a holiday / celebration of the coral spawning. It could be fertility festival, like Beltaine. Or maybe like a religious Japanese Cherry Blossom festival.

The migration of various animals could definitely be hunting / rites of passage holidays. I posted this amazing migration of flying rays. I can easily see the Atlanteans having a great holiday trying to catch these guys.

Yes!!! Celebration of the elements, of the creatures cycles, maybe even the greeting of the baby turles when they first come into the sea after hatched on land, and the migrations of whales, dolphins and jellyfish etc. There is so much that the Atlanteans could celebrate or have holiday's for that are very connected to the sea the live in. Also Namor catching and flying with the Rays are from my favorite comic 'Dying in Paradise'.

Quote Originally Posted by Reviresco View Post
    Just read in another thread, that the new weekly Avengers event just killed off the Greek pantheon, except Herc. I guess there won't be any Neptune Holidays in the Atlanteans near future. ugh.
    Oh no even Neptune? Well they called him Poseidon too I think but basically its the same character in Marvel since its the same deity. This sucks but I'm sure Neptune will be back though he hasn't been featured in Namor's stories in ages. Which as him being their deity you would think that would happen more often, especially since namor is his descendant.

Quote Originally Posted by Oberon View Post
    Classical Greeks or Romans most likely celebrated the Solstices and Equinoxes, since Astrology and seasonal changes did figure into their culture and religion. They did not celebrate (pretty sure) other Pagan holidays that have a more Celtic basis (Halloween/Samhain, Lammas, Imbolc, etc) which for the modern Pagan are about halfway between the Equinoxes and Solstices.

There are some ancient feast days of certain Roman/Greek Gods or Goddesses. Diana has a day in May, possibly June. Things like that. I'd have to check on Neptune or the others.
    It would be interesting to know if astrology and the changing of the moon would be celebrated in atlantis, cause of the tidal effects of the moon on the ocean.
    Last edited by ImperiusWrecked; 02-15-2019 at 04:10 PM.
    "No one should ever question where my allegiance lies." - Namor of Atlantis

Quote Originally Posted by Oberon View Post
    Classical Greeks or Romans most likely celebrated the Solstices and Equinoxes, since Astrology and seasonal changes did figure into their culture and religion. They did not celebrate (pretty sure) other Pagan holidays that have a more Celtic basis (Halloween/Samhain, Lammas, Imbolc, etc) which for the modern Pagan are about halfway between the Equinoxes and Solstices.

There are some ancient feast days of certain Roman/Greek Gods or Goddesses. Diana has a day in May, possibly June. Things like that. I'd have to check on Neptune or the others.
    I don't know alot about the ancient and Pagan holidays, but I think alot of them are based on the astrological (in the sense of shortest and longest days) and seasonal changes, aren't they? I think the Atlaneans share alot with them.

Quote Originally Posted by ImperiusWrecked View Post
    Yes!!! Celebration of the elements, of the creatures cycles, maybe even the greeting of the baby turles when they first come into the sea after hatched on land, and the migrations of whales, dolphins and jellyfish etc. There is so much that the Atlanteans could celebrate or have holiday's for that are very connected to the sea the live in. Also Namor catching and flying with the Rays are from my favorite comic 'Dying in Paradise'.

Exactly! I bet the jellyfish would be another amazing visual. And the baby turtles! Sooo cute.

And that is one of my favorite Namor stories.

Oh no even Neptune? Well they called him Poseidon too I think but basically its the same character in Marvel since its the same deity. This sucks but I'm sure Neptune will be back though he hasn't been featured in Namor's stories in ages. Which as him being their deity you would think that would happen more often, especially since namor is his descendant.
    The last time I saw Neptune was in the Incredible Hercules arc. Which was fun, but a less than ... godly, shall we say, appearance. Personally, I'm fine with Neptune not showing up often. Too much abuse, i.e. him showing up and saving the day anytime things get bad.

It would be interesting to know if astrology and the changing of the moon would be celebrated in atlantis, cause of the tidal effects of the moon on the ocean.
    I don't see astrology, per se, playing a large role, since they don't see the stars all the time, like surface dwellers do. But there has to be an underwater equivalent -- or it's all seasonal. That's something I've thought was interesting. The underwater equivalent of various sciences or things that don't work underwater.
    Last edited by Reviresco; 02-16-2019 at 09:02 PM.
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

Do we know what Namora has been up to all this time? When was the last time we saw her?
    We are the Dora Milaje. We are the daughters of the 18 tribes of Wakanda. We are the teeth of the Panther God. Out of 10,000 years of sweat and bloodshed and battle are we born. We are the women of this ancient land. Deadliest of the species. And our time has come!

Quote Originally Posted by nj06 View Post
    Do we know what Namora has been up to all this time? When was the last time we saw her?
    Namora was last seen I believe in Secret Empire, Brave New World. I haven't seen her around since then. Wish that the new Agents of Atlas featured the old team with Namora and Venus.

Alex Ross shared this art on his twitter. I know many have probably seen it already but I love his work a lot, and he draws the best Namor wings. Marvels is still my favorite comic.

Alex Ross shared this art on his twitter. I know many have probably seen it already but I love his work a lot, and he draws the best Namor wings. Marvels is still my favorite comic.

Me too. Alex Ross is one of my favorite artists ever, and Marvels is definitely an all-time classic.

Namora was last seen I believe in Secret Empire, Brave New World. I haven't seen her around since then. Wish that the new Agents of Atlas featured the old team with Namora and Venus.
    She really needs to make a comeback somewhere. She has a ton of potential as a character. If Namor can't be on the Avengers I would like to see Namora as a representative of Atlantis on the team. Especially now since she doesn't seem to be a member of the new Agents of Atlas.
    We are the Dora Milaje. We are the daughters of the 18 tribes of Wakanda. We are the teeth of the Panther God. Out of 10,000 years of sweat and bloodshed and battle are we born. We are the women of this ancient land. Deadliest of the species. And our time has come!

Quote Originally Posted by K7P5V View Post
    Me too. Alex Ross is one of my favorite artists ever, and Marvels is definitely an all-time classic.
    Gorgeous Alex Ross sketches! IIRC, they were in one of the Marvels trades.

Speaking of ... did anyone pick up the annotated version of Marvels this week? I was wondering how they were different from previous trades, or if they were?

Quote Originally Posted by nj06 View Post
    She really needs to make a comeback somewhere. She has a ton of potential as a character. If Namor can't be on the Avengers I would like to see Namora as a representative of Atlantis on the team. Especially now since she doesn't seem to be a member of the new Agents of Atlas.
    We often complain about Namor's cast being ignored or worse, killed off. We STILL haven't gotten anything with Namor or Namora and their reaction to Namorita's return. ;mad:

Not too keen on another group taking over Agents of Atlas name.

I just want to share this cause I love how small Namor is compared to She-Hulk! lol.
    From Avengers (1963) 306

I just want to share this cause I love how small Namor is compared to She-Hulk! lol.
    From Avengers (1963) 306

Wow. I never noticed that difference in their sizes.

It is kind of adorable.

On many of these events editorial or writers say it will touch every corner of the MU... but then they totally ignore Namor and the 3/4 of the planet which is underwater. Allegedly, that will be different in War of the Realms, according to Aaron.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Aaron
    Plus, there are battles raging all around the planet. So you can expect to see a lot of the different forces and factions we've been setting up in Avengers, from Namor and his Defenders of the Deep, to the Winter Guard, and the Squadron Supreme. So all the antagonists and extended cast that we've set up across the planet are involved in the War of the Realms. We're trying to touch base on all the things going on during the event with the Avengers and their many foes.
    From a CBR interview about War of Realms here:
    https://www.cbr.com/interview-avenge...s-jason-aaron/

I think he's talking about Namor appearing in Avengers, though I really think he needs a mini or at least a Strikeforce issue. With the earth being divided up between the Norse bad guys, they could take on the Migard Serpent or the Norse sea gods. I think Namor faced off with Sedna in Thor, but she's Inuit, not Norse, IIRC.

Namor art by Patrick Zircher on twitter

Namor art by Patrick Zircher on twitter

I LOVE those Patrick Zircher images and most of what he says on his Twitter about Namor. Another creator who appreciates Marvel's First Superhero. : ) I'd planned to post that exchange from him and Fab Nic and doing a Namor book. Come on Marvel! You've got talent that is interested in a Namor book. Make it so!

Also, I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE that speedo Namor by Zircher. So pretty.