Page 22 of 182 FirstFirst ... 121819202122232425263272122 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Thor-El View Post
    This could be a coloring error but it could also be whatever is influencing Namor knows when to hide its presence, that would be cool.
    Sure, it could be a coloring error. I admit that. But why automatically do a bad faith reading on Cap is the thing I was mostly trying to point out. Is he a different kind of friend then Jim? Sure. Jim's more in-touch with his sensitive side than either Steve or Namor or even Bucky are. From Steve Namor gets blunt honesty, Steve's the type of friend who will tell you straight-up when you're being an idiot, but he'd also take a bullet for you in a heartbeat. From Jim comes the sympathy and more compassionate nature. They are different. That's why they make a good team *shrug*. If they were all the same they wouldn't have pushed each other to be as effective as they were as Invaders. Doesn't mean Steve doesn't care. Obviously he does, he dropped everything to run to Namor despite Tony beseeching him not to and despite the fact that the Avengers chair, T'Challa, probably will not be too happy with Steve for abandoning his post when there is both a war with Atlantis on the horizon and some sort of Vampire Civil War that Jason Aaron is trying to set up.

I empathize a bit with the rock and the hard place Steve is stuck in here. He is at odds with the American government. When Ross complained to Steve that T'Challa was the Avengers chair, which put the Avengers under the purview of Wakanda instead of America, Steve told Ross straight up, I don't work for you and the Avengers do not belong to any one country. And now he's taking a leave of the Avengers to go try and save someone they see as a foe, someone they are prepared to go to war with. Should Steve fail in any of this, he'll have zero recourse after it, he would have burned all his bridges. And still he's doing it. That's a pretty big declaration of love for Namor. He showed this same single-mindedness when saving Bucky during Brubaker's run, if we all recall. It's who Steve is, maybe he's not the most expressive of guys but his actions speak for him.

...Also, it was Steve, during Robinson's All New Invaders run, that organized and planned Namor's rescue from the Kree, recruiting Jim and Bucky into it.
    Last edited by capandkirby; 01-18-2019 at 05:06 PM.

What is really interesting to me about this War Ghosts storyline is that it's been seeded very devout Namor fans. If you've been gobbling up all his appearances you are getting a complex story about him that's lost on people only checking out Avengers.
    Pull List:

Marvel Comics: Venom, X-Men, Black Panther, Captain America, Eternals, Warhammer 40000.
    DC Comics: The Last God
    Image: Decorum

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by capandkirby View Post
    Sure, it could be a coloring error. I admit that. But why automatically do a bad faith reading on Cap is the thing I was mostly trying to point out. Is he a different kind of friend then Jim? Sure. Jim's more in-touch with his sensitive side than either Steve or Namor or even Bucky are. From Steve Namor gets blunt honesty, Steve's the type of friend who will tell you straight-up when you're being an idiot, but he'd also take a bullet for you in a heartbeat. From Jim comes the sympathy and more compassionate nature. They are different. That's why they make a good team *shrug*. If they were all the same they wouldn't have pushed each other to be as effective as they were as Invaders. Doesn't mean Steve doesn't care. Obviously he does, he dropped everything to run to Namor despite Tony beseeching him not to and despite the fact that the Avengers chair, T'Challa, probably will not be too happy with Steve for abandoning his post when there is both a war with Atlantis on the horizon and some sort of Vampire Civil War that Jason Aaron is trying to set up.

I empathize a bit with the rock and the hard place Steve is stuck in here. He is at odds with the American government. When Ross complained to Steve that T'Challa was the Avengers chair, which put the Avengers under the purview of Wakanda instead of America, Steve told Ross straight up, I don't work for you and the Avengers do not belong to any one country. And now he's taking a leave of the Avengers to go try and save someone they see as a foe, someone they are prepared to go to war with. Should Steve fail in any of this, he'll have zero recourse after it, he would have burned all his bridges. And still he's doing it. That's a pretty big declaration of love for Namor. He showed this same single-mindedness when saving Bucky during Brubaker's run, if we all recall. It's who Steve is, maybe he's not the most expressive of guys but his actions speak for him.

...Also, it was Steve, during Robinson's All New Invaders run, that organized and planned Namor's rescue from the Kree, recruiting Jim and Bucky into it.
    Oh, for sure. I love some things that Jason Aaron has done with Thor and others I don't care too much so we will have to wait and see. It could be just mischaracterization of how Cap would behave with Namor by Jason Aaron or it could be that everything has a purpose and this entity that we think is controlling Namor knows when to hide itself. Any way I'm glad the story is being picked up by Zdarsky because he seems to have a good handle of all the characters even though I have a hunch the War on Realms will have some deep connections with this Namor story.

Mighty Member

From Namor's cartoon Episode 5: The Thing from Space" Namor fights Attuma's army in the outskirts of Atlantis and defeats them.
    Last edited by Thor-El; 01-18-2019 at 06:38 PM.

Mighty Member

From Namor's cartoon Episode 5: The Thing from Space" Namor fights Attuma's army in the outskirts of Atlantis and defeats them.
    Last edited by Thor-El; 01-18-2019 at 06:38 PM.

Citizen of Atlantis ImperiusWrecked's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Things Fall Apart View Post
    What is really interesting to me about this War Ghosts storyline is that it's been seeded very devout Namor fans. If you've been gobbling up all his appearances you are getting a complex story about him that's lost on people only checking out Avengers.
    I don't care for Aaron's characterization or story at all. I follow along just when Namor pops up though.

I feel like I have been waiting years for this, getting into Namor back in 2014, and back into comics after a long absence I started tracking down everything about the Sub-Mariner I could, and I missed out on the last Invaders and thankfully I wasn't following squadron supreme having not known what happened until later or I would have been very cross (I still am! Sentry shouldn't have been able to do that to Namor his skin is super strong and withstood lasers!)

So seeing this unfold is a real treat because its NOT just a what happens next story but Chip is digging back into the past and playing up the relationships between them. It is a very good time to be Namor fan (I hope) cause he is FINALLY getting some well needed solid writing.
    "No one should ever question where my allegiance lies." - Namor of Atlantis

Thor-El What an Icon! I love that it moves. I haven't seen that panel around before, do you happen to know which issue it was from?

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by ImperiusWrecked View Post
    Thor-El What an Icon! I love that it moves. I haven't seen that panel around before, do you happen to know which issue it was from?
    Sure thing IW. That's from Hulk 10, 11 and 12 from 2009. A story by Jeph Loeb and Ed McGuinness that makes the Defenders pawns in a game between the Grandmaster and the Collector. one of my favorite comics stories ever, mostly for the art since I love McGuinness. The cool thing is the pawns were taken from crucial moments in time, Namor had just witnessed the death of Dorma and was being promised her resurrection if he win the fights. The Collector had Tiger Shark teeth laced with adamantium.

Sure thing IW. That's from Hulk 10, 11 and 12 from 2009. A story by Jeph Loeb and Ed McGuinness that makes the Defenders pawns in a game between the Grandmaster and the Collector. one of my favorite comics stories ever, mostly for the art since I love McGuinness. The cool thing is the pawns were taken from crucial moments in time, Namor had just witnessed the death of Dorma and was being promised her resurrection if he win the fights. The Collector had Tiger Shark teeth laced with adamantium.
    omg thank you! I have to go get this comic!!!

Mighty Member

After reading this story I've always wished Ed McGuinness would do a Namor ongoing, or a Defenders revival, to me he does the perfect Namor and Defenders plus I love the way McGuinness orchestrates fights and action. Here's some links to comixology and the three covers.

https://www.comixology.com/Hulk-2008...xpc3Qvc2VyaWVz

Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar

I love your gif avatar!

I'm not a huge Jeph Loeb fan, but I will say that he is one of the few writers who remembers Lady Dorma.

And yes, McGuiness obviously loves John Buscema Namor.
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

After reading this story I've always wished Ed McGuinness would do a Namor ongoing, or a Defenders revival, to me he does the perfect Namor and Defenders plus I love the way McGuinness orchestrates fights and action. Here's some links to comixology and the three covers.
    Didn't McGuiness say he's loved to do a Namor ongoing?

Great covers! And the cool thing was McGuiness did opposite teams for those covers as variants.

Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Reviresco View Post
    Didn't McGuiness say he's loved to do a Namor ongoing?

Great covers! And the cool thing was McGuiness did opposite teams for those covers as variants.
    You could tell McGuinness was having fun! Isn't it funny how those two Elders of the Universe in this story ended up in the MCU!

And McGuinness & Zdarsky on a Namor ongoing would be a dream come true!!!
    Last edited by Thor-El; 01-18-2019 at 08:41 PM.

You could tell McGuinness was having fun! Isn't it funny how those two Elders of the Universe in this story ended up in the MCU!

I'm definitely keeping my fingers crossed for a Namor ongoing and that is definitely a team I could get behind.

Cool painting! I love the Kirby art / machine in the background.

Quote Originally Posted by Reviresco View Post

I'm definitely keeping my fingers crossed for a Namor ongoing and that is definitely a team I could get behind.

Cool painting! I love the Kirby art / machine in the background.
    I can get behind that team too, the art looks great and so far Chip is doing great with Namor.