Page 36 of 182 FirstFirst ... 263233343536373839404686136 ... LastLast
    Mighty Member

Another Valentine's Day image, this one from me to all the board fans but specially to Reviresco and Imperius Wrecked, thanks for keeping the board so interesting and active.

Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Thor-El View Post
    A very awesome St Valentine's Day to all my fellow atlanteans!

Happy Valentine's Day! And I see you beat me to the punch with my favorite couple. Lady Dorma and Namor are the best! That's okay. I'll make up with quantity. ;p

I'll start with the only official Marvel valentine I've seen with Namor.

From Erica Hendricks

And from someone on tumblr. Sadly, I don't have the creators name. But so very Dr Doom.

And one of my favorite articles about Namor -- His Highness with a Love Advice column answering letters on Valentine's Day! Hilarious! This should be a regular feature in any ongoing book, or heck, any book he is in. Here's one letter, but definitely visit the site and read the rest. They are priceless.

ASK NAMOR Valentine's Day Edition

Namor,

My wife and I are busy people but we do enjoy whatever little time we spend together. We got married on February 9th, which is awfully close to Valentine's Day on February 14th. We do like going out and being romantic, but there are only so many hours in a week. Do you recommend that we celebrate both days individually? Should we pick, say, February 12th as a day that we celebrate both occasions? Should we simply celebrate the real occasion of a wedding, not the occasion perpetuated by Hallmark and named after a Catholic martyr of whom we personally know very little?

Your suggestions in this matter would be most helpful.

–Jeff, Ohio

Jeff,

You are an imbecile. This is Valentine's morn. You sought my counsel knowing it would arrive days too late. I do hope your weekend was a terrible and loveless one and that the cushions of your sofa have since conformed to shape of your dour, pitiful rump. And that your woman has taken up with a man who looks like Steven Weber.

I want to sign off here, but I find myself unable. Even in the wake of such a wretched blunder on your part, Jeff.

Because I am nothing, Jeff, if not a romantic. And the sovereign ruler of the seven seas.

Celebrate your wife every day, you horrendous excuse for a lover. Not just on holidays. Love her in the morning. Love her at brunch. Love her throughout the live-long-day. Love her especially in the evenings. With the television set turned off (or volume set at mute). Love that woman until there is nothing left of her. Because when nothing else of her remains in that embrace, do you know where you'll be then? You'll be hugging yourself. It is a gift, Jeff.

A furry little Englishman once said, "In the end, the love you get is equal to the love you give." And even though he ended up with a very mean woman with a peg-leg, he's exceptionally wealthy.

You are welcome.

–Namor
    Last edited by Reviresco; 02-14-2019 at 11:20 AM.
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

Another Valentine's Day image, this one from me to all the board fans but specially to Reviresco and Imperius Wrecked, thanks for keeping the board so interesting and active.

Great work, Thor-El!! Thank you!! What a lovely Valentine's Day present! Lady Dorma and Namor are indeed my favorite pairing.
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

Let's not forget Betty Dean!

These Valentines were made by GarnetVengence on tumblr.

Lol

i am loving these valentines cards!!
    Idea's Open Discussion And Growth. Silencing Idea's Confirms Them To Be True In The Minds Of Those Who Hold Them. The Attempt Of Eliminating Idea's Proves You To Be A Fool.

And another from Garnet Vengence.

From Mel Uran. Another Betty Dean ... but with them both as chibi!

This was Namora's idea originally ... before Jeff Parker took off with the idea.

Quote Originally Posted by DragonsChi View Post
    Lol

i am loving these valentines cards!!
    They are awesome! I would send them out. LOL! Every year, I think I'm going to try my hand at making a few, but the holiday creeps up on me.

Citizen of Atlantis ImperiusWrecked's Avatar

Awesome Thor-El! There is never enough Namor and Dorma!

Quote Originally Posted by Reviresco View Post
    Happy Valentine's Day! And I see you beat me to the punch with my favorite couple. Lady Dorma and Namor are the best! That's okay. I'll make up with quantity. ;p
    All of these are great! Happy Valentine's Day to everyone. I made a simple card so it's not as good as these!

"No one should ever question where my allegiance lies." - Namor of Atlantis

Has there ever been any mention of any type of Atlantean holidays? Do they celebrate any kind of new year? Do they give thanks for anything? What type of holidays do you think they would celebrate? They are a warrior people so I wouldn't be surprised if some of their holidays/celebrations revolve around some sort of battle/war.
    We are the Dora Milaje. We are the daughters of the 18 tribes of Wakanda. We are the teeth of the Panther God. Out of 10,000 years of sweat and bloodshed and battle are we born. We are the women of this ancient land. Deadliest of the species. And our time has come!

Quote Originally Posted by nj06 View Post
    Has there ever been any mention of any type of Atlantean holidays? Do they celebrate any kind of new year? Do they give thanks for anything? What type of holidays do you think they would celebrate? They are a warrior people so I wouldn't be surprised if some of their holidays/celebrations revolve around some sort of battle/war.
    I would need to think more to remember if there is any official holiday. I think they would celebrate something to do with Neptune and the Seas, maybe migration of fish etc. Or that they would celebrate Namor's birthday or that of a royal. I know they must have something because Namor says in one panel for a holiday special I think that 'some surface customs are ridiculous.'

Quote Originally Posted by nj06 View Post
    There's the Running of the Beasts which was in Namor the First Mutant 10.

There was Neptune's Mortal Birthday / Trial by Combat of the Prince / Holy Days in Prince Namor the Sub-Mariner 1.

Quote Originally Posted by ImperiusWrecked View Post
    I would need to think more to remember if there is any official holiday. I think they would celebrate something to do with Neptune and the Seas, maybe migration of fish etc. Or that they would celebrate Namor's birthday or that of a royal. I know they must have something because Namor says in one panel for a holiday special I think that 'some surface customs are ridiculous.'
    It seems like there was something about the priests declaring it in that Stalker from the Stars issue. Remember, Kormok was the one who sent Namor to rejuvenate the Sacred Trident at the South Pole, so the priesthood has some say.

Namor's birthday, makes sense.

Migrations also make sense.

Awesome Thor-El! There is never enough Namor and Dorma!

All of these are great! Happy Valentine's Day to everyone. I made a simple card so it's not as good as these!

I love your card! It's a great image and definitely a Valentine sentiment.

Also agree. Never enough Lady Doma and Namor.

I love your card! It's a great image and definitely a Valentine sentiment.

Also agree. Never enough Lady Doma and Namor.
    Thank you!

There's the Running of the Beasts which was in Namor the First Mutant 10.

There was Neptune's Mortal Birthday / Trial by Combat of the Prince / Holy Days in Prince Namor the Sub-Mariner 1.

It seems like there was something about the priests declaring it in that Stalker from the Stars issue. Remember, Kormok was the one who sent Namor to rejuvenate the Sacred Trident at the South Pole, so the priesthood has some say.

Namor's birthday, makes sense.

Migrations also make sense.
    Yes those are good and also I remembered how when Namor retook his throne after Dorma had betrayed him to Krang then aided him in getting free from the jail, just before he went on the quest for Neptune's trident. After all that didn't Namor have a coronation day/ceremony? I remember there was a celebration page that seemed to indict that coronation days were like a holiday?

In the end I think the Atlanteans do have holidays. However as I keep saying if we could get some world building then it would be great to see more of what their culture is like.

Classical Greeks or Romans most likely celebrated the Solstices and Equinoxes, since Astrology and seasonal changes did figure into their culture and religion. They did not celebrate (pretty sure) other Pagan holidays that have a more Celtic basis (Halloween/Samhain, Lammas, Imbolc, etc) which for the modern Pagan are about halfway between the Equinoxes and Solstices.

There are some ancient feast days of certain Roman/Greek Gods or Goddesses. Diana has a day in May, possibly June. Things like that. I'd have to check on Neptune or the others.

Thank you!

Yes those are good and also I remembered how when Namor retook his throne after Dorma had betrayed him to Krang then aided him in getting free from the jail, just before he went on the quest for Neptune's trident. After all that didn't Namor have a coronation day/ceremony? I remember there was a celebration page that seemed to indict that coronation days were like a holiday?

In the end I think the Atlanteans do have holidays. However as I keep saying if we could get some world building then it would be great to see more of what their culture is like.
    We will sing it until it gets done!

I think, like the origin of many traditional surface world holidays, most of the Atlantean holidays come from the cycle of nature. Though, I think they are far closer to the reason for those holidays than surface dwellers. It would look better on the screen, but it would still be awesome to have things like a holiday / celebration of the coral spawning. It could be fertility festival, like Beltaine. Or maybe like a religious Japanese Cherry Blossom festival.

The migration of various animals could definitely be hunting / rites of passage holidays. I posted this amazing migration of flying rays. I can easily see the Atlanteans having a great holiday trying to catch these guys.