Page 58 of 182 FirstFirst ... 84854555657585960616268108158 ... LastLast
Results 856 to 870 of 2721
  1. #856
    Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    The Sunless Realm
    Posts
    9,107

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Things Fall Apart View Post
    Has anyone every watched the anime "A Lull In the Sea"?

    It's about two towns, one on land and one below the sea and their social inter actions. It's basically a teen romance show, but there is an aspect of it that I think Namor should use.

    The people below the sea are basically like normal humans but they've adapted a film over their skin called "Ena" that allows them to breathe saltwater and while on land the Ena absorbs ambient water from clothing and other sources of water to prevent them from drying out.

    I think Namor should have Ena and instead of the idea of an oxygen imbalance, they could just say that excessive exposure to the surface dries out his Ena (say like a week or so in a typical environment and 12 hours in an extreme arid), reducing his strength and causing symptoms similar to Gout, so it's more severe pain causing him to lash out.

    Him being willing to bare that pain could be symbolic of his heroism, or be used to explain some of his rash actions.
    The only manga I've read on the ocean theme is Children of the Sea, which was slow, but had some beautiful scenes and art. I haven't seen that anime, A Lull in the Sea, though I just went an looked at the trailer. The art and animation is amazing on that! Except for the too cute faces.

    With Hydro Man's powers, I can see Namor doing that now. In some ways, the original black suit was doing something similar. I do find the idea of using his new powers could eventually cause him pain, as a limiting factor and a symbol of heroism. But I don't want it to devolve into that mess that Jason Aaron did with the Vomiting Dr. Strange. Just NO.

    Aaaaah! The oxygen imbalance. I hate that theory. I'd much rather have Namor be responsible for his actions.
    ***Namor75 Celebration Threads***

    IMPERIUS REX FOREVER

  2. #857
    Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    The Sunless Realm
    Posts
    9,107

    Default

    This was posted in Dreadstar's Marvel Posters thread. I think it is by Scott Hampton.

    Quote Originally Posted by Dreadstar View Post
    ***Namor75 Celebration Threads***

    IMPERIUS REX FOREVER

  3. #858
    U Got Me Str8 Trippin Boo nj06's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    4,191

    Default

    How many times has Atlantis been destroyed in the past few years? I recall:

    -Namor destroying it right after Civil War

    -Atlantis being destroyed by Wakanda

    -Atlantis being destroyed by Hyperion


    I really don't want to see it get destroyed again anytime soon. I feel like that trope has become tiresome.
    We are the Dora Milaje. We are the daughters of the 18 tribes of Wakanda. We are the teeth of the Panther God. Out of 10,000 years of sweat and bloodshed and battle are we born. We are the women of this ancient land. Deadliest of the species. And our time has come!

  4. #859
    Mighty Member Custodes's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    1,041

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nj06 View Post
    How many times has Atlantis been destroyed in the past few years? I recall:

    -Namor destroying it right after Civil War

    -Atlantis being destroyed by Wakanda

    -Atlantis being destroyed by Hyperion


    I really don't want to see it get destroyed again anytime soon. I feel like that trope has become tiresome.
    Yes, I agree. I felt that way in the 1970s.... and it is still going on.

  5. #860
    Mighty Member Custodes's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    1,041

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Reviresco View Post
    Yep. I think he was an Atlantean barbarian, but went on to rule another kingdom.
    Yup, he was Atlantean but, became the King of Valusia, on the Thurian Continent.

  6. #861
    Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    The Sunless Realm
    Posts
    9,107

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Custodes View Post
    Yup, he was Atlantean but, became the King of Valusia, on the Thurian Continent.
    Custodes! Good to see you and your own Tigershark.

    That sounds about right. I knew there was a V in there somewhere.
    ***Namor75 Celebration Threads***

    IMPERIUS REX FOREVER

  7. #862
    Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    The Sunless Realm
    Posts
    9,107

    Default

    I just have to say, while I'm happy for their fans, the latest new book announcements annoy me. It's a perfect example of editorial pushing their favorites and the TV / Movies pushing editorial.


    WHERE IS MY NAMOR BOOK????????
    ***Namor75 Celebration Threads***

    IMPERIUS REX FOREVER

  8. #863
    Citizen of Atlantis ImperiusWrecked's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Location
    Atlantis
    Posts
    1,166

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Reviresco View Post
    I just have to say, while I'm happy for their fans, the latest new book announcements annoy me. It's a perfect example of editorial pushing their favorites and the TV / Movies pushing editorial.


    WHERE IS MY NAMOR BOOK????????
    Same, I know I'm just being all salty when I see other characters get books, even ones who are brand new meanwhile Namor is still without a solo, almost ten years after his last one, and this is his 80th! GIVE HIM A SOLO!

    (Also I'm very nervous and excited about tomorrow's Invaders!!!)
    "No one should ever question where my allegiance lies." - Namor of Atlantis

  9. #864
    Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    The Sunless Realm
    Posts
    9,107

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ImperiusWrecked View Post
    Same, I know I'm just being all salty when I see other characters get books, even ones who are brand new meanwhile Namor is still without a solo, almost ten years after his last one, and this is his 80th! GIVE HIM A SOLO!

    (Also I'm very nervous and excited about tomorrow's Invaders!!!)
    I'm definitely salty. But geez, why wouldn't I be? I mean, how many freaking books does the Punisher need? He's in Savage Avengers. He's got Cosmic Ghost Rider Punisher. He's got his own freaking solo book! So, now he NEEDS another one???

    And I love Loki, and I'll probably be buying that book, but I wish Namor got as many chances as he has for ongoing books in the last decade.

    Ah well. I'll just have to be satisfied with his amazing arc in Invaders ... for now.
    ***Namor75 Celebration Threads***

    IMPERIUS REX FOREVER

  10. #865
    Citizen of Atlantis ImperiusWrecked's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Location
    Atlantis
    Posts
    1,166

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Reviresco View Post
    I'm definitely salty. But geez, why wouldn't I be? I mean, how many freaking books does the Punisher need? He's in Savage Avengers. He's got Cosmic Ghost Rider Punisher. He's got his own freaking solo book! So, now he NEEDS another one???

    And I love Loki, and I'll probably be buying that book, but I wish Namor got as many chances as he has for ongoing books in the last decade.

    Ah well. I'll just have to be satisfied with his amazing arc in Invaders ... for now.
    Susan Storm, a character who has NEVER had a Solo Title despite being around since the Birth of the Silver Age Comics just got announced for a solo title. Link

    Like I'm happy Susan is finally getting a title, and she deserves one as Marvel's first lady even though its only 5 issues, but the most I can hope for (and honestly do not even want because I think the Reed/Namor/Sue love triangle needs to die and give Namor his own love interest) is maybe a Namor cameo in that solo book. Meanwhile Namor still doesn't have a solo or even a rumor of one. *sigh* (Listen I don't hate the Namor/Sue ship, but I am tried of Namor being used as Sue's love interest/forced drama and both characters are held back by this because Marvel will never let this be a thing unless it was an au comic)
    "No one should ever question where my allegiance lies." - Namor of Atlantis

  11. #866
    Mighty Member Thor-El's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Between Asgard & Krypton
    Posts
    1,601

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Reviresco View Post
    I'm definitely salty. But geez, why wouldn't I be? I mean, how many freaking books does the Punisher need? He's in Savage Avengers. He's got Cosmic Ghost Rider Punisher. He's got his own freaking solo book! So, now he NEEDS another one???

    And I love Loki, and I'll probably be buying that book, but I wish Namor got as many chances as he has for ongoing books in the last decade.

    Ah well. I'll just have to be satisfied with his amazing arc in Invaders ... for now.
    An ongoing is so past due. What Marvel has done for decades with Namor is called fanbase starvation, and look at the results, a character so less original like Aquaman has managed to totally steal Namor's thunder and make him look like the imitation in the eyes of the ignorant general public.


    Quote Originally Posted by ImperiusWrecked View Post
    I think the Reed/Namor/Sue love triangle needs to die and give Namor his own love interest
    YES! That romance only makes Namor look bad. I cringe everytime people try to put those two together, please have some respect for a married woman with a beautiful family. Dorma would be my first choice but I'll take even Emma Frost before the invisible woman, don't want to have Namor look like a marriage wrecker.

  12. #867
    Fantastic Member Doombot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    369

    Default

    I don't at all mind the Sue/ Namor dynamic as long as it's shown as being matured, as it has been a very long time since it began. Sue knows that she is deeply attracted to Namor, and could possibly have loved him in another life, but she will never leave Reed of her family. Namor knows his desire for Sue will forever be unrequited, and has accepted as much. It doesn't mean the two can't acknowledge the feelings are there, but it is essentially fantasy for both of them. They can flirt or play a tongue in cheek kind/cat and mouse game, but neither is truly serious and knows it will go nowhere. That's all it should be at this point. Two adult that can admit they have chemistry, but there's nothing to be done about it, and can get on with the business of whatever adventure they're into at the time.

  13. #868
    Citizen of Atlantis ImperiusWrecked's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Location
    Atlantis
    Posts
    1,166

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Thor-El View Post
    An ongoing is so past due. What Marvel has done for decades with Namor is called fanbase starvation, and look at the results, a character so less original like Aquaman has managed to totally steal Namor's thunder and make him look like the imitation in the eyes of the ignorant general public.

    YES! That romance only makes Namor look bad. I cringe everytime people try to put those two together, please have some respect for a married woman with a beautiful family. Dorma would be my first choice but I'll take even Emma Frost before the invisible woman, don't want to have Namor look like a marriage wrecker.
    The fandom starvation happens, people move on and lose interest in the character and then when he does get a solo and it tanks in sales because no one cares then they blame the character for being unappealing and he goes back on the shelf only to be trotted out for cameos and team ups etc. I firmly believe any character, handled right, written correctly, and promoted will find its audience given enough time. Look at some characters who were never meant to be big and see how far they got because people liked them.

    I would love Dorma back and honestly I do LOVE Namor and Emma's dynamic, and now that she is the Black King of the Hellfire club in the comics it gives us even more range to see whether or not they can trust each other/fall in love again etc. I personally think Andromeda is a good choice, then we can have the Namor falling for his enemy Attuma's daughter storyline? Susan is never going to leave her family, and it looks bad to have her or Namor be cheaters. Even if it did happen, it would have happened back in the 60's or 70's. Hell even the 90's. It won't happen now and should it ever come to that it would be short lived because Susan is a big part of the Fantastic Four and it would tear that family apart. Not worth the money to pay to see a romance that I know is failed from the start and will only be reset.


    Quote Originally Posted by Doombot View Post
    I don't at all mind the Sue/ Namor dynamic as long as it's shown as being matured, as it has been a very long time since it began. Sue knows that she is deeply attracted to Namor, and could possibly have loved him in another life, but she will never leave Reed of her family. Namor knows his desire for Sue will forever be unrequited, and has accepted as much. It doesn't mean the two can't acknowledge the feelings are there, but it is essentially fantasy for both of them. They can flirt or play a tongue in cheek kind/cat and mouse game, but neither is truly serious and knows it will go nowhere. That's all it should be at this point. Two adult that can admit they have chemistry, but there's nothing to be done about it, and can get on with the business of whatever adventure they're into at the time.
    I understand what you mean and honestly I feel that it's been done perfectly in Fantastic Four vol 3 #6. Namor and Susan do recognize each others feelings for the other, Susan tells Namor how she feels and they both are mature enough to move on and just be friends. Namor has a far easier time being friends with women and it's not so bad for them to be so.





    He is one of the few male characters that is constantly surrounded by strong women characters. Off the top of my head; Namora, Namorita, Dorma, Emma, Susan, Carrie, Storm, Loa, Hope, Abira, Betty Dean, Andromeda, Tamara Rahn, Princess Fen, Diane Arliss are women who have been friends, family, or lovers or play key roles in his character through time and I can barely think of any men other than the Invaders/Defenders who have been his friends, but even then those men don't have the same impact as the women in Namor's life. Namor has very few friends especially male ones who are close to him.

    I don't mean to sound rude or offend you I swear, but I just feel as long as Marvel keeps saying Namor is hung up on Susan then he won't ever get any forward motion in his own story. Susan has her story, and Namor needs his own. Past references to their attraction I don't mind, but restarting the whole: will Sue leave her husband for the king of the sea? back and forth again is just retreading old ground that has been shown many times before. Of course I'm only stating my own thoughts and I understand if others feel different.
    "No one should ever question where my allegiance lies." - Namor of Atlantis

  14. #869
    Fantastic Member Doombot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    369

    Default

    I hope you're not worried about offending me, I don't even disagree with you lol

    Although I may like the chemistry between Namor and Sue, I don't want it to be anything besides a passing, playful flirtation in the midst of some more important plot they may be involved in. As for legitimate love interests I'm against any of the old characters returning, especially Dorma. Lady Dorma works far better for Namor as a lost love, and I do not like dredging up old characters, certainly dead ones, just because the readers may recognize them. Namor needs NEW characters, NEW love interests, NEW villains. There's seven oceans full of potential new characters and stories to explore.

  15. #870
    Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    The Sunless Realm
    Posts
    9,107

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Doombot View Post
    I hope you're not worried about offending me, I don't even disagree with you lol

    Although I may like the chemistry between Namor and Sue, I don't want it to be anything besides a passing, playful flirtation in the midst of some more important plot they may be involved in. As for legitimate love interests I'm against any of the old characters returning, especially Dorma. Lady Dorma works far better for Namor as a lost love, and I do not like dredging up old characters, certainly dead ones, just because the readers may recognize them. Namor needs NEW characters, NEW love interests, NEW villains. There's seven oceans full of potential new characters and stories to explore.
    I agree to a point. But Namor will never rebuild a supporting cast, unless those new characters stick around and play a reoccuring role in his life. We got Abira and Loa and Crosta in his last ongoing, as well as some other interesting characters / roles. But where are they now? Loa was killed off. Abira was put beyond his reach as a romantic interest. None of his councilors or warlords repeat from series to series. Heck, we can't even get the established character that have been around for decades to show up in his life.
    ***Namor75 Celebration Threads***

    IMPERIUS REX FOREVER

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •