Quote Originally Posted by ImperiusWrecked View Post
LOL, Honestly I still have issues every time Sue/Namor comes up because its all people really know him for, but his time with the Fantastic Four (if we include all their comics of which there are A LOT) Namor doesn't show up every two issues to try and seduce Sue. He comes and goes and is mostly used in my opinion as a contrast to Reed.

Here we have Reed: A smart scientist more interested in his work than human connection (though i do know he has a good relationship with his family) focusing more on the brainy aspects, a nice guy compared to Namor and one of the heroes of the Fantastic Four. He is the guy Marvel wants you to root for, the underdog compared to Namor.

Then we have Namor: A handsome, arrogant, brash, prince from the far off magical underwater city of Atlantis strutting around showing off his riches and muscles and saying he wants a queen, the dream fantasy for most girls, and the bad boy compared to Reed.

I once read something, where their relationship was compared to Namor being Catwoman to Susan's Batman, he would swoop in to distract and seduce the main hero in a tight fitting garment and then be on his merry way to do whatever he wants. Which made me laugh honestly.

Namor was never going to end up with Sue, it was just a love triangle that Marvel dragged on for years and teased fans with. If it was going to happen then it would have happened way back in the early fantastic four comics but now its far too late and really I am pretty tired of him only being remembered for susan storm and black panther. I really really hope that Marvel doesn't bring it up again. If you see the times when Namor and Sue were just friends and where writers were not trying to force them together they have this great friendship. The thing that bothers people most is that Namor always gets along better with female characters than he does males, and he is really only Susan's friend, not Reed or Ben or Johnny. IMO he tolerates them because Susan is a good person and he values her and her friendship.
That's not entirely my reason for not caring as much for the Namor / Sue relationship, but yes, that does seem to be what a lot of people know him for. Of course, it's usually how he is introduced in cartoons, also. The double edged sword of popular exposure.

Sadly, it is always going to be brought up, because some writers want to use him to liven up Reed and Sue's relationship. Sue also isn't above using Namor to do so. Also, it is a way to bring Namor into whatever is going on with the FF. I don't know if they have a _great_ friendship, but Namor will always having feelings for her, just as he has feeling for his two deceased wives, and Betty Dean, and Tamara, and Diane Arliss, and all the ladies in his life. And of course, to be fair, Namor WOULD start a more than platonic relationship with Sue, IF Sue wanted to.

I agree with the bolded, but I don't think that is what bothers people about Namor and Sue's relationship. No one wants to be 'left' in a relationship, and few blame themselves when it happens. So, they blame the guy their SO left with, instead looking at what went wrong with the relationship. There may be a bit of projecting going on. And Reed is almost always cast as the absent minded husband, who sometimes forgets his family while working. Oddly, Bendis, or maybe it was Reed, on their Illuminati mini-series.