Page 162 of 182 FirstFirst ... 62112152158159160161162163164165166172 ... LastLast
Results 2,416 to 2,430 of 2721
    Astonishing Member Electricmastro's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Reviresco View Post
    I've seen this before and disagreed with it. Of course Namor is misplaced, especially when you consider Iron Man's placement. But now I recall that this is supposed to be Spidey's opinion, which explains a lot.
    His strength was also listed as having been a 6/7.

Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Electricmastro View Post
    Oh no!!! Not the power grids! I find those mostly wrong. I'm not sure how they come up with those.
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

Quote Originally Posted by Ravin' Ray View Post
    I wonder if Atlanteans have an equivalent holiday for whatever they are thankful for and what would they serve?
    Believe it or not, the winter solstice was tied to Poseidon/Neptune in ancient Greece. So the Atlanteans most likely would have some version of this celebration tied to the winter months and Neptune.

Oh no!!! Not the power grids! I find those mostly wrong. I'm not sure how they come up with those.
    Oh, I so agree! While I do like quantitative analysis (numbers), those grids were awful---and many times wrong!

The older Deluxe edition was much more detailed and for those with super-strengrh, gave mostly correct strength levels (at least at that period of time) without any grids.

Marvel characters really need at least 10 levels, no less, while DC probably needs at least 15. (OK, yes, I admit I have spent much time looking at the various levels!

Quote Originally Posted by Doombot View Post
    Believe it or not, the winter solstice was tied to Poseidon/Neptune in ancient Greece. So the Atlanteans most likely would have some version of this celebration tied to the winter months and Neptune.
    Really? That's interesting. I wonder what is the connection? Winter storms?
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixx9 View Post
    Oh, I so agree! While I do like quantitative analysis (numbers), those grids were awful---and many times wrong!

The older Deluxe edition was much more detailed and for those with super-strengrh, gave mostly correct strength levels (at least at that period of time) without any grids.

Marvel characters really need at least 10 levels, no less, while DC probably needs at least 15. (OK, yes, I admit I have spent much time looking at the various levels!

I didn't think of that. Why did they choose 7?

I didn't think of that. Why did they choose 7?
    I think they were trying to simplify the grids. (They had some books in early 2000s which were the predecessors which had only 5, if I remember correctly.).

I remember really not liking them because there was not enough space between the categories. For example, between "weak human" and lifting "1000 pounds" could easily have 3 categories, if not 5 categories.
    Last edited by Phoenixx9; 12-03-2019 at 02:08 AM.

Citizen of Atlantis ImperiusWrecked's Avatar

Some Namor holiday icons!

"No one should ever question where my allegiance lies." - Namor of Atlantis

More icons!

I think that this, other lore about Neptune, and also other things tied to the oceans changing, migration of fish, would be a cause of some kind of holiday in addition to stuff like the King's birthday to the people of Atlantis.

Quote Originally Posted by Electricmastro View Post

I often hate these things because they rank Namor so low on the intelligence scale, like just because Namor isn't a super genius scinetist doesn't mean he isn't smart. He has the education of a Prince, vast knowledge of the oceans and it's creatures, as well as how to run a kingdom, miltary stratigies for war etc. He shouldn't be a 2, at least a couple of points more imo.

It's December! Which means it's time for the Feast of Fish! This was a panel where an AU Namor became something like a Santa Claus to people.

From the Gwenpool's Holiday Special Merry Mix-Up

Quote Originally Posted by ImperiusWrecked View Post
    I think that this, other lore about Neptune, and also other things tied to the oceans changing, migration of fish, would be a cause of some kind of holiday in addition to stuff like the King's birthday to the people of Atlantis.

I often hate these things because they rank Namor so low on the intelligence scale, like just because Namor isn't a super genius scinetist doesn't mean he isn't smart. He has the education of a Prince, vast knowledge of the oceans and it's creatures, as well as how to run a kingdom, miltary stratigies for war etc. He shouldn't be a 2, at least a couple of points more imo.
    Yes, these are often wrong, sometimes on most characters in at least one category or more. It seems the writers of today are unaware of the true nature and abilities of the denizens of the Marvel Universe.

That one set of old Handbooks was very good on strength along with some detail regarding powers in general. But it lacked in psychic, mystical and most other energies as far as how powerful or any useful rankings.

I think that 2 is supposed to be average intelligence, but it always looks so low when the scale is only maxed a 7. I find I have never agreed with these charts for any character over the years. Look at his speed, come on. He's not Silver Surfer, but Namor is pretty damn fast.

I think they were trying to simplify the grids. (They had some books in early 2000s which were the predecessors which had only 5, if I remember correctly.).

I remember really not liking them because there was not enough space between the categories. For example, between "weak human" and lifting "1000 pounds" could easily have 3 categories, if not 5 categories.
    Holy cow. FIVE would have been awful.

And yes, that's one of my complaints about these 'grids.'

I often hate these things because they rank Namor so low on the intelligence scale, like just because Namor isn't a super genius scientist doesn't mean he isn't smart. He has the education of a Prince, vast knowledge of the oceans and it's creatures, as well as how to run a kingdom, military strategies for war etc. He shouldn't be a 2, at least a couple of points more imo.
    Exactly. And Namor has outsmarted the smartest people in the MU multiple times. Granted that a different sort of intelligence than Big Brain Science, but it is still above average intelligence. Heck, he's language skills alone should give him a boost on that "grid."

I've also found the Fighting Skills and Speed categories awful low, also.

Yes, these are often wrong, sometimes on most characters in at least one category or more. It seems the writers of today are unaware of the true nature and abilities of the denizens of the Marvel Universe.

That one set of old Handbooks was very good on strength along with some detail regarding powers in general. But it lacked in psychic, mystical and most other energies as far as how powerful or any useful rankings.
    I agree. Part of the problem is that the editors / writers tend to disregard stuff that hasn't happened in the last ten years. That's fine if you're Spider-Man and have had multiple solos over the last ten years, but if you are interpreting Namor on the last ten years of guest appearances inconsistently written and abused, you get a very incomplete picture of Namor.

But as for the "grids" and handbooks ... I don't know what their excuses are.

They just put out a nice hardcover edition of the original Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe. I'm pretty sure I have the original issues, but they are packed away some place. I'm trying to decide if I need to get this. It's a bit overpriced at $75, but of course, I'd get it at Instock Trades for 45% off. Though I really need to save my money for the second Timely Greatest Bill Everett Namor Omnibus, which comes out in April, I think.

Quote Originally Posted by advertisement
    The original OFFICIAL HANDBOOK OF THE MARVEL UNIVERSE is collected in a single hardcover for the very first time! It's the fact-filled series that put the entire Marvel Universe into the hands of wide-eyed fans of the 1980s! The OHOTMU featured stunning original art from some of the era's biggest names and in-depth profiles of Marvel's greatest heroes and villains - from Abomination to Zzzax and pretty much everyone who was anyone (at the time) in between! Plus: A lengthy section devoted to then-dead and inactive characters - and a whole book of diagrams detailing Marvel's most iconic weapons, hardware and paraphernalia! With origins, team affiliations, super-power assessments and other vital statistics, this is the ultimate reference tome for the first four decades of Marvel history! Collecting OFFICIAL HANDBOOK OF THE MARVEL UNIVERSE (1983) #1-15.

I think that 2 is supposed to be average intelligence, but it always looks so low when the scale is only maxed a 7. I find I have never agreed with these charts for any character over the years. Look at his speed, come on. He's not Silver Surfer, but Namor is pretty damn fast.
    Namor's speed has been remarked on repeatedly in battles over the years, and underestimated. Writers should consider, if Namor is incredibly fast UNDERWATER, and that's been demonstrated repeatedly, then outside of water, where he is moving without the weight of tons of water restricting him, he should devastatingly fast. Seriously. Just time how fast you can run in water up to your hips and compare it to running out of the water.

It's December! Which means it's time for the Feast of Fish! This was a panel where an AU Namor became something like a Santa Claus to people.

From the Gwenpool's Holiday Special Merry Mix-Up

LOL! That's definitely setting the Christmas mood in the thread! Thanks for posting it and the Christmas icons! I was going to go looking for them, but got distracted last night.