Page 143 of 182 FirstFirst ... 4393133139140141142143144145146147153 ... LastLast
Results 2,131 to 2,145 of 2721
    Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Doombot View Post
    This is kinda ridiculous. Namor has had countless "attack the world because of toxic pollution" stories. If I were writing Sub-Mariner it would be more of a challenge to find new ways for Namor to confront human pollution and destruction, not for him to just confront it at all, he's done that many times. Namor needs new villains, particularly in the pacific and the asian nations, like India, China, Indonesia and Japan. India and China are the world's biggest polluters in terms of river and ocean waste. Imagine Namor responding to Chinese waste and the CCP unveiling a new deterrent in the form of some kind of super powered agent of their own. Or Namor violently confronting Japan over wild tuna and whale depletion and Japan having to send out Sunfire or some other deterrent. There could be lots of international tension and high stakes over issues like this.
    That's just lazy stupid writing, Namor should be a symbol of fight against pollution and climate change when written correctly. These days if the character is a strong male and a figure of authority he has to be made a buffoon that will be put in his place and proven wrong by the smaller weaker looking but much more stronger and heroic character. Marvel is letting these writers assassinate all their strong male characters. Who is left untouched, Black Panther and Captain America?
    Last edited by Thor-El; 10-27-2019 at 07:02 AM.

Mighty Member

Since I'm anxiously waiting for Tarot and I know many Namor fans from the board are as well interested in this mini series I thought it would be cool to revisit that first Avengers/Defenders crossover. Interestingly everything starts in Fantastic Four # 54 by Stan Lee and Jack Kirby with the introduction of the Evil Eye. A powerful weapon created in medieval times by the wizards of Avalon and guarded by The Wanderer, a knight that has been in suspended animation for centuries. Johnny Storm and Wyatt Wingfoot head back from Wakanda into the desert heading towards the imprisoned Attilan where Johnny wants to try his flame against the barrier once more to try to liberate his beloved Crystal. They stumble into a crypt and awaken the Wanderer who explains them that the Evil Eye is the last surviving weapon from Avalon. Wanting to use the weapon to try it against Attilan's barrier Johnny steals it from the Wanderer but ignorant of how to operate the weapon it overcharges and seemingly explodes by the end of the story and before Johnny can try it against the barrier.

Quote Originally Posted by Thor-El View Post
    Since I'm anxiously waiting for Tarot and I know many Namor fans from the board are as well interested in this mini series I thought it would be cool to revisit that first Avengers/Defenders crossover. Interestingly everything starts in Fantastic Four # 54 by Stan Lee and Jack Kirby with the introduction of the Evil Eye. A powerful weapon created in medieval times by the wizards of Avalon and guarded by The Wanderer, a knight that has been in suspended animation for centuries. Johnny Storm and Wyatt Wingfoot head back from Wakanda into the desert heading towards the imprisoned Attilan where Johnny wants to try his flame against the barrier once more to try to liberate his beloved Crystal. They stumble into a crypt and awaken the Wanderer who explains them that the Evil Eye is the last surviving weapon from Avalon. Wanting to use the weapon to try it against Attilan's barrier Johnny steals it from the Wanderer but ignorant of how to operate the weapon it overcharges and seemingly explodes by the end of the story and before Johnny can try it against the barrier.

Thanks for this, Thor-El. We must be on the same mental wavelength, because just last night, I started to read the Avengers-Defenders War!

It started by mentioning the Human Torch and the Evil Eye, with the theory that the Evil Eye was destroyed as reported by Johnny. But Dormammu was sure it survived, now smaller in multiple sections that could be linked together.

I never saw that FF issue so it fills in missing Info. I am interested to see more of that issue's details.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixx9 View Post
    Thanks for this, Thor-El. We must be on the same mental wavelength, because just last night, I started to read the Avengers-Defenders War!

It started by mentioning the Human Torch and the Evil Eye, with the theory that the Evil Eye was destroyed as reported by Johnny. But Dormammu was sure it survived, now smaller in multiple sections that could be linked together.

I never saw that FF issue so it fills in missing Info. I am interested to see more of that issue's details.
    That's the beautiful thing about the silver age, everything connected so well and made you want to read every interlaced title, plus characters were perfectly written back then. Another title that connects to the Avengers/Defenders crossover is Thor #207. This is a Halloween issue were the Marvel Bullpen gets drawn into the story as characters taking part of a costume parade, some are even dressed up as DC characters. Loki takes the essence of these people into his sword and attacks Thor. In the fight Thor summons the lightning and destroys the sword releasing the captive souls and Loki ends up blind and seemingly falling down a cliff. The crossover starts immediately after this Thor scene in Avengers #115 with a blind Loki falling down the cliff.

Last edited by Thor-El; 10-27-2019 at 08:16 PM.

Astonishing Member Electricmastro's Avatar

Classic art by Mike Mignola from Marvel Fanfare #45 (August, 1989):

I love Mignola (Triumph & Torment is one of my favorite Marvel comics) but his proportions are too far off for me.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mormegil View Post
    I love Mignola (Triumph & Torment is one of my favorite Marvel comics) but his proportions are too far off for me.
    I agree not a fan of his anatomy, particularly in this piece.

There are seven Tarot #1 pages previewed at Bleeding Cool:

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2019/10...s-paul-renaud/

Citizen of Atlantis ImperiusWrecked's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Reviresco View Post
    Agreeing with Thor-El again. That Pillowfort blog is looking great! I like the format you are choosing for your reviews. And your support of our beloved Prince is awesome! I've only one question. When do you sleep?
    lol, who needs sleep? XD

So much to catch up on! those previews look great!

As to the subject of namor vs pollution, I really think that Roxxon needs to become the major big bad of Namor's comics for his surface world interactions. Not just as a touch and go thing but really show them as the evil corporation that they are. I've had an idea that if Namor got another solo then Llyra would be the a major villain, taking over Roxxon in an effort to hurt Namor, and using Lemuria then Namor would have to fight her on two fronts, both on the land and sea and perhaps even reopen Oracle to do so.
    "No one should ever question where my allegiance lies." - Namor of Atlantis

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by ImperiusWrecked View Post
    lol, who needs sleep? XD

So much to catch up on! those previews look great!

As to the subject of namor vs pollution, I really think that Roxxon needs to become the major big bad of Namor's comics for his surface world interactions. Not just as a touch and go thing but really show them as the evil corporation that they are. I've had an idea that if Namor got another solo then Llyra would be the a major villain, taking over Roxxon in an effort to hurt Namor, and using Lemuria then Namor would have to fight her on two fronts, both on the land and sea and perhaps even reopen Oracle to do so.
    I like your thoughts about Roxxon, and your idea about LLyra as a major threat and part of Roxxon is good too.

Mighty Member

I'm glad Paul Renaud gets to draw classic Namor in these series. His artwork is much better than what I've seen lately but it makes me realize no one has drawn a better Namor in comic pages than Big John Buscema.

And another wrestler gets wishlisted for Namor, EC3 Michael Hunter Hutter

I agree with you about Buscema being the best. Marie Severin is a close second for me.

Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar

I'm glad Paul Renaud gets to draw classic Namor in these series. His artwork is much better than what I've seen lately but it makes me realize no one has drawn a better Namor in comic pages than Big John Buscema.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mormegil View Post
    I agree with you about Buscema being the best. Marie Severin is a close second for me.

I have to agree with both of you. Big John early run on Namor makes him my favorite Namor artist. His later Namor wasn't as striking, IMO, especially when he started drawing him with the flat top. And yes, even over Everett, who I didn't appreciate as much as I do now. Especially Everett's 1950s Atlas run and his last work on Namor.

Marie Severin and Sal Buscema are also favorite Namor artists. Both are sadly underappreciated.
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Reviresco View Post
    I have to agree with both of you. Big John early run on Namor makes him my favorite Namor artist. His later Namor wasn't as striking, IMO, especially when he started drawing him with the flat top. And yes, even over Everett, who I didn't appreciate as much as I do now. Especially Everett's 1950s Atlas run and his last work on Namor.

Marie Severin and Sal Buscema are also favorite Namor artists. Both are sadly underappreciated.
    Yes, Marie Severian, Sal Busceme, Gene Colan and of course Bill Everett, all contributed their beautiful artwork to the awesome silver age run of Namor. I think I liked Gene Colan's Tales to Astonish work more than his run in the Sub-mariner title that seemed a bit rushed. Everett was doing incredible work in the Sub-mariner title before he died.

Citizen of Atlantis ImperiusWrecked's Avatar

Oh very good tastes in artists, I have to say that Marie's Namor is very dear to my heart, loved her work a lot.

Also just dropping this here, not sure if I left a link here before or not but a while back I started making and collecting some Namor gifs, I will keep searching and adding more gifs as time goes by but I thought it best to keep them all in one place.

https://giphy.com/channel/imperiuswrecked
    "No one should ever question where my allegiance lies." - Namor of Atlantis

Yes, Marie Severian, Sal Busceme, Gene Colan and of course Bill Everett, all contributed their beautiful artwork to the awesome silver age run of Namor. I think I liked Gene Colan's Tales to Astonish work more than his run in the Sub-mariner title that seemed a bit rushed. Everett was doing incredible work in the Sub-mariner title before he died.
    I was going to list Gene Colan as one of my favorites. But when I was googling images to post i couldn't find anything I thought was really good. But I didn't look back at the Tales to Astonish "Adam Austin" stuff.

I'm a newish fan of Sub-mariner. I'm just not getting to the Bill Everett bronze age stuff. I'm on #55.