Page 161 of 182 FirstFirst ... 61111151157158159160161162163164165171 ... LastLast
Results 2,401 to 2,415 of 2721
    Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Electricmastro View Post
    Hmm, seems that in 1981, Namor's physical strength was considered to be on par with the Thing, but lesser so compared to the Hulk (Amazing Spider-Man Annual #15).

Namor has never had any trouble dominating Iron Man and has always rivaled The Hulk. From that superheavyweight list only Hulk, Thor and Hercules on a good day can give Namor a run for his money. I'd definitely switch Namor for Iron Man. Glad lately Namor has showed he is in that category as he was originally intended to be Marvel's premier strongman since the golden age.

Also, Silver Surfer being a middleweight? Come ON. Surfer would mop the floor with most anyone on this list.

Astonishing Member Electricmastro's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Doombot View Post
    Also, Silver Surfer being a middleweight? Come ON. Surfer would mop the floor with most anyone on this list.
    In terms of physical power or cosmic power?

Both. (though you can't really separate the two, Surfer is The Power Cosmic)

With the Power Cosmic, it's really no contest. Surfer's cosmic powers are beyond deadly to anyone on this list, even Hulk and Thor. The problem, due to his character, is that he never uses them. He has matter manipulation powers akin to the Molecule Man, he could "unmake" Thor or turn Hulk into apple sauce etc. He can physically shatter vibranium. Surfer is a vastly underrated character. When he was enslaved on Sakaar and his powers reduced he still tossed around Hulk and the Warbound single handedly.

Mighty Member

Both. (though you can't really separate the two, Surfer is The Power Cosmic)

With the Power Cosmic, it's really no contest. Surfer's cosmic powers are beyond deadly to anyone on this list, even Hulk and Thor. The problem, due to his character, is that he never uses them. He has matter manipulation powers akin to the Molecule Man, he could "unmake" Thor or turn Hulk into apple sauce etc. He can physically shatter vibranium. Surfer is a vastly underrated character. When he was enslaved on Sakaar and his powers reduced he still tossed around Hulk and the Warbound single handedly.
    I disagree on the Surfer being at the top of the list. He sure makes my heavyweights but I wouldn't give him a victory over Thor, Hulk or Namor. He wields the power cosmic but he is terrible at maintaining his power at his peak, usually getting very weak after a discharge and even fainting. I have never seen his powers be like the Molecule Man but that could be depending on the writer I guess. His strength could probably augment depending on the energy source he is tapping on but I would think this is something akin to Carol Danvers/Binary where he would need to tap into a special source not readily available so this uber strength is not the norm.

Here's a power description from Wikipedia:

The Surfer sustains himself by converting matter into energy; he does not require food, water, air, or sleep, but occasionally enters a sleep-like meditation to dream. He can survive in nearly any known natural environment, including deep space, hyperspace, and black holes and stars. The Surfer can project energy in various forms for offensive and defensive use, including force fields, bolts of cosmic force powerful enough to destroy entire planets, and create black holes. He can utilize the Power Cosmic to augment his superhuman strength to indeterminate levels. The Surfer can heal living organisms, though he cannot raise the dead, and he has proven capable of revitalizing and evolving organic life on a planet-wide scale. He can cast illusions, create interdimensional portals to other locations including microverses, manipulate and phase through solid matter, and exercise some level of control over the astral plane. However, when using these abilities, this results in him becoming greatly weakened, making the use of these abilities limited.
    Last edited by Thor-El; 12-01-2019 at 09:59 AM.

Namor is one of my favourite characters, but you're dreaming if you think he could take Surfer. Hulk and Thor at least have a shot, but even they would still lose. As with all comics, it comes down to the writer and their bias on any one character and which character's book it is. Hulk and Thor are far more popular characters than Surfer, and have both had books that have run forever. Poor Namor is more or less in the same boat as Surfer.
    Last edited by Doombot; 12-01-2019 at 02:37 PM.

Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar

Hope everyone had a wonderful Thanksgiving holiday!

Mine was obviously spent away from the computer. Will try to catch up tomorrow.
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

Quote Originally Posted by Reviresco View Post

Mine was obviously spent away from the computer. Will try to catch up tomorrow.
    I as well. Hope all had a great Holiday!

I'm starting up the Namor Advent Calendar thread again! Wish me luck!

https://community.cbr.com/showthread...dvent-Calendar
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

Hmm, seems that in 1981, Namor's physical strength was considered to be on par with the Thing, but lesser so compared to the Hulk (Amazing Spider-Man Annual #15).

I've seen this before and disagreed with it. Of course Namor is misplaced, especially when you consider Iron Man's placement. But now I recall that this is supposed to be Spidey's opinion, which explains a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by K7P5V View Post
    Eventually, the Silver Surfer would be considered Class 100 (or in this case, The Super-Heavyweights).
    There's definitely been power creep, and decline, on many of these characters over the decades. At one time, Namor and the Thing were the strongest there were. Then Hulk showed up. I'm surprised at She-Hulk's placement also. She should be much stronger, I would have thought.

Quote Originally Posted by Thor-El View Post
    Namor has never had any trouble dominating Iron Man and has always rivaled The Hulk. From that superheavyweight list only Hulk, Thor and Hercules on a good day can give Namor a run for his money. I'd definitely switch Namor for Iron Man. Glad lately Namor has showed he is in that category as he was originally intended to be Marvel's premier strongman since the golden age.
    Hopefully it sticks. But exactly on Iron Man. On sheer strength, I don't think he's ever bested Namor. Plus there's the caveat Namor mentions, IN THE WATER, which I wish all writers would follow, instead of jobbing Namor in the water.

That was my thoughts too. That Silver is definitely a heavyweight, because his Power Cosmic gives him the advantage over most characters. But I've never thought of him as a bruiser / brick.

Namor is one of my favourite characters, but you're dreaming if you think he could take Surfer. Hulk and Thor at least have a shot, but even they would still lose. As with all comics, it comes down to the writer and their bias on any one character and which character's book it is. Hulk and Thor are far more popular characters than Surfer, and have both had books that have run forever. Poor Namor is more or less in the same boat as Surfer.
    This is why I avoid the Rumbles boards. Because it does come down to writers and their biases, as far as "feats." And when you don't have your own book, you get a lot less feats.

Quote Originally Posted by Subby1939 View Post
    These are the only original pages I own. From Annual 1 of the last series done , drawn by Max Fuimara. Loved the action in these panels and how savage Namor was. He breaks Cap America’s arm like a twig. Love that lol! Enjoy

Wow! You've got quite a few pages from that annual. Nice! I think I like the blue line better than the finished inked and colored pages.

Thank you so much for sharing your collection, Subby1939. I've really enjoyed seeing these gems. If I ever get settled and unpacked, I'll have to share my collection.

Quote Originally Posted by ImperiusWrecked View Post
    So I finally finished my Namor the Sub-Mariner Comic Reading Guide for any new fans, I tried to get as much as I could in there but if I forgot anything important then I'm sorry. Anyways I hope this will help any new fans who don't know where to start/find Namor in the comics and I added in upcoming comics like Tarot and Atlantis Attacks since Namor seems to be featured in them a lot from the previews.

Quote Originally Posted by DragonsChi View Post
    This is Excellent! Good job!

I will have to look over it a bit more throughly when I get the chance but with a quick glance it looks great. Thank you for making this!
    Quote Originally Posted by Thor-El View Post
    This is awesome! Your efforts are greatly appreciated IW! You rock!
    I have to echo my fellow Namor fans. GREAT work! Really shows just how much material Namor has racked up over his 80 decades!

Quote Originally Posted by ImperiusWrecked View Post
    Thanks everyone! lol, I'm happy to contribute to our small fandom and I'm just glad I got one of my projects done, maybe this way we might be able to lure in new readers. I think Namor should definitely have a bigger fan base because he is such an interesting character.
    We may be fewer, but we're high quality fans.

Mighty Member

Evidently you are a superfan of Silver Surfer but the truth is Surfer is never thought as an Alpha character the way Namor, Thor, Hulk and even Hercules and Wolverine are portrayed. Surfer in his own comic spends the most time fainting and coming short of finishing many fights, most of the times is portrayed as a victim, while all those characters project themselves as bad asses able to push beyond their points of breaking to claim victory against much powerful threats. Take the last Defenders mini series as an example were Surfer gives his powers to Namor in order to be able to accomplish what needs to be done.

And I agree about writers being biased and juggling power levels as they please, even the MCU, it would have been unthinkable that Thor would have given Mjolnir to Cap in order to defeat Thanos decades ago but the Russo Brothers started with Cap and that was their favorite character so that's the greatest example of this crap.
    Last edited by Thor-El; 12-02-2019 at 12:44 PM.

Citizen of Atlantis ImperiusWrecked's Avatar

I'm starting up the Namor Advent Calendar thread again! Wish me luck!

https://community.cbr.com/showthread...dvent-Calendar
    Good Luck! I will definitely be checking out this thread later!

I have to echo my fellow Namor fans. GREAT work! Really shows just how much material Namor has racked up over his 80 decades!

We may be fewer, but we're high quality fans.
    Thanks so much and yes I agree we Subby fans are a class of our own!

For anyone interested Paul Renaud spoke a bit about the upcoming Tarot comic link

Another fan commented they though that Tarot took place in the 70s/80s and Renaud replied:

....It could be happening now. It's not set in the 70/80's. I can't say too much coz it would spoil the story.
    "No one should ever question where my allegiance lies." - Namor of Atlantis

Where the Diwatas and the Triumph Division live

I wonder if Atlanteans have an equivalent holiday for whatever they are thankful for and what would they serve?
    Human Torch/Fantastic Four/She-Hulk/Disney Big Hero 6 /Tangled/G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero/Transformers G1 fanatic, Avatar-maker, and Marvel Moderator
    "一人じゃないから。" AI、『Story』。
    "ヒロ、お前を信じてる。" タダシ、『ベイマックス』。
    "You were my my new dream." "And you were mine." Eugene Fitzherbert and Rapunzel.
    "Knowing is half the battle."
    G.I. Joe.
    Know the CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES