Page 171 of 182 FirstFirst ... 71121161167168169170171172173174175181 ... LastLast
Results 2,551 to 2,565 of 2721
    Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixx9 View Post
    I have never seen Men Fish nor Mermaids, but would live to see some spotlight on them, even if only briefly and with lots of mystery!
    There was a mermaid in Subby #54.

But if I remember correctly, she was part of a group of Mer-Mutants.

Piranha was one of the Men-Fish, IIRC. He created more like him. Also Dr. Dorcas had Men-Fish he created too.

Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

Quote Originally Posted by ImperiusWrecked View Post
    In the recent FF comic its confirmed that Reed/Sue are soulmates so I really hope we don't get any Namor/Sue stuff at any point in the future. (I know I hate on this ship alot but I'm tired of it! I hate that Namor keeps being used for Reed/Sue drama and he needs his own love interest)
    And of course I will always be that contrary person (and been reading since the '60s) who sees the Namor / Sue thing differently. Certainly there was once some sort of attraction.

These days I think Namor and Sue see something else in each other: The access point to their unique worlds that neither can fully belong to. Sue is the part of his human side that he can relate to and understand human perspectives. It is similar to the role that Betty Dean may have played, though never seen exactly like that. Betty/Sue and other women have been the role of Namor's conscience. Sue sees the part of Namor that represents a unique but valid race of humans/huminoids that exist in their world. While we may never know their true origin (I maintain it is more likely that they're a subset of Inhumans/possibly other mixtures; Deviant, with norm type humans, the way that the Bird People were or the Stallion / Centaur Inhumans) Sue is the sort of 'voice' for Namor in human matters, just as she was with those Old Atlanteans, in respect to Namor and the world.

I'm 'poly-sensual' and exist in a world of very open poly-sensual type folks; we call them the modern Pagan community. So I don't see or have any problem with men or women being very, very loving with each other, in most senses of that term. Not talking about 'swingers" or polyamory folks specifically.

Citizen of Atlantis ImperiusWrecked's Avatar

Have you had a chance to read the Ocean Master: Year of the Villain comic? It just came out and I love how well done it was, the art was great and the way the plot wrapped up what Orm had been up to recently. The folks at DC know how to world build and make good recurring characters, but yeah, other than the people Rev listed I can't think of any group that sticks around, even the lemurians have not shown up in a while. I wish Marvel could give Namor the DC treatment and just let someone take over for a long run.

Quote Originally Posted by Oberon View Post
    And of course I will always be that contrary person (and been reading since the '60s) who sees the Namor / Sue thing differently. Certainly there was once some sort of attraction.

These days I think Namor and Sue see something else in each other: The access point to their unique worlds that neither can fully belong to. Sue is the part of his human side that he can relate to and understand human perspectives. It is similar to the role that Betty Dean may have played, though never seen exactly like that. Betty/Sue and other women have been the role of Namor's conscience. Sue sees the part of Namor that represents a unique but valid race of humans/huminoids that exist in their world. While we may never know their true origin (I maintain it is more likely that they're a subset of Inhumans/possibly other mixtures; Deviant, with norm type humans, the way that the Bird People were or the Stallion / Centaur Inhumans) Sue is the sort of 'voice' for Namor in human matters, just as she was with those Old Atlanteans, in respect to Namor and the world.

I'm 'poly-sensual' and exist in a world of very open poly-sensual type folks; we call them the modern Pagan community. So I don't see or have any problem with men or women being very, very loving with each other, in most senses of that term. Not talking about 'swingers" or polyamory folks specifically.
    I'm totally fine and would actually LOVE it if someone let Namor and Sue be friends who shared a past fondness, the time it was best showcased imo was in Fantastic Four (1998) #6. It was really well done and they can be friends who have a connection, but the thing that really irritates me is Namor going: You're the only one who ever mattered, who i ever loved etc. because it invalidates the fact he got over Sue and was married, twice!, and also Betty Dean was Namor's first surface love and they went through a lot together but somehow Sue is always being hailed as the only person Namor ever loved for so long, and then him being used for Reed/Sue drama or to help them with their relationship. I'm sorry to be so negative about this, I love Sue and I love Namor but I don't love them together.

ff_1998.jpg
    Last edited by ImperiusWrecked; 12-13-2019 at 01:54 PM.
    "No one should ever question where my allegiance lies." - Namor of Atlantis

So Namor is getting one comic called MARVEL SNAPSHOTS, it's like there's 8 comics and Namor is featured in the first one! link

It all begins with SUB-MARINER: MARVELS SNAPSHOT #1 when best-selling novelist and Emmy Award-winning TV writer Alan Brennert (L.A. LAW, TWILIGHT ZONE) and superstar artist Jerry Ordway (ALL-STAR SQUADRON, CRISIS ON INFINITE EARTHS) unite to tell an unforgettable story about Marvel’s original antihero: Prince Namor! Set circa World War II, things kick off with an action-packed tale featuring Namor, Betty Dean, and the All-Winners Squad--a dream come true for Brennert. “I can honestly say that I enjoyed working on this story more than any comics story I've done in years. I grew up reading (and loving) Marvel's Golden Age heroes in the 1960s, in reprints in FANTASY MASTERPIECES. But I never thought I'd have a shot at writing them--especially the All-Winners Squad!--and I'm grateful to Kurt Busiek and Tom Brevoort for providing me the opportunity, and to Jerry Ordway for bringing it all to glorious life,” Brennert says. “I'm enormously proud of ‘Reunion’ and honored to be the first story published in MARVELS SNAPSHOTS.”

Artist Jerry Ordway is just as passionate about bringing this tale to life. "When I was offered this project, I jumped at it, being a big fan of the original MARVELS book by Kurt Busiek and Alex Ross. Getting to draw a Sub-Mariner story set in the 1940s, with appearances by the All-Winners Squad, lets me connect with Marvel’s World War II era history, and the work of Subby’s creator, Bill Everett,” says Ordway. “I’ve been a Marvel maniac from the age of 10, so this is pretty cool! Alan Brennert wrote a great script which fits neatly into the bigger tapestry that is the Marvel Universe. I’m thrilled to get to play in this sandbox after so many years as an artist."
    Last edited by ImperiusWrecked; 12-13-2019 at 04:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Reviresco View Post
    There was a mermaid in Subby #54.

But if I remember correctly, she was part of a group of Mer-Mutants.

Piranha was one of the Men-Fish, IIRC. He created more like him. Also Dr. Dorcas had Men-Fish he created too.

Thanks.

Subby looked surprised when he saw the Mermaid! They must be extremely rare and mystical creatures.

So Namor is getting one comic called MARVEL SNAPSHOTS, it's like there's 8 comics and Namor is featured in the first one! link

Holy ****.

Another cover variant for Atlantis Attacks! featuring Namor and Namora, art by Ron Lim and Israel Silva link

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

A WWII throwback is a muuuch smaller victory, but I can say with confidence that it will be fantastic. Alan Brennert.... this guy pretty much never writes comics. Like a dozen to his credit, and most of those turned up in a Batman hardcover (that I bought a few months ago) because they're so good and well loved. He's a good guy. And then Ordway is maybe my all time favorite artist. Superman and recently Cap, now Namor. I don't even know Marvels stuff that well but this can't be missed.
    Welcome or welcome back! Please check out the updated
    CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Another cover variant for Atlantis Attacks! featuring Namor and Namora, art by Ron Lim and Israel Silva link

I gotta say, that "Atlantis Attacks" title logo is pathetically bad. What, did they let the intern do this one?

Where the Diwatas and the Triumph Division live

Quote Originally Posted by Reviresco View Post
    My other question is ... aren't these Sirenas located in the Pacific? Why is Atlantis attacking them? They'd have to move an army across the world. You'd think that would make SOMEONE nervous.
    Sirenas in the Sulu Sea, a marginal sea of the Philippines is to ground the Philippine setting of Wave's origin and story. Call it a fan service to us Filipino Marvel fans but there you have it. As for the reason behind the attack, I guess we'll learn in the upcoming mini.
    Off the top of my head, besides the Old Kings of Atlantis, there are:

Lemuria
    The Aqueos (who may be erradicated)
    The Faceless Ones
    Mermaids
    Attuma's barbarians
    Men Fish
    People of the Black Sea (2 different groups?)
    I have of recent wished that Triton, still alive, would rule a kingdom of aquatic and amphibious Inhumans now that the Inhumans of Attilan have a diaspora.
    Human Torch/Fantastic Four/She-Hulk/Disney Big Hero 6 /Tangled/G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero/Transformers G1 fanatic, Avatar-maker, and Marvel Moderator
    "一人じゃないから。" AI、『Story』。
    "ヒロ、お前を信じてる。" タダシ、『ベイマックス』。
    "You were my my new dream." "And you were mine." Eugene Fitzherbert and Rapunzel.
    "Knowing is half the battle."
    G.I. Joe.
    Know the CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

is Namor gay??

GodDESS Yes, to this. We should find 'real' ways to celebrate or acknowledge that Sue and Namor have a deep, friendly connection, that spans near or quasi romantic feelings from long ago.

But, you're also very right in pointing out the crappy writing that propels Namor to speak of Sue as "the one" that mattered most. Sue may be in the top 2 or 3 of his biggest attractions, but as you point out, she was not either of his marriages. Sue herself should and would be mortified that Dorma didn't matter as much to him.

BANNED

Talking Happy Birthday John Marc DeMatteis!!!

Prince Namor the Sub-Mariner #4 Dec 1984
    "The Road Not Taken!"
    The mighty Sub-Mariner has succeeded in making peace between the undersea Kingdom of Atlantis and the surface world,

but at what cost?

NOTE: The events of this Limited Series set up Namor's next chapter which commences in the
    pages of
    Alpha Flight (1983-1994 1st Series) #15-16 and Avengers (1963-1996 1st Series) #262.

Written by J.M. DeMatteis https://www.bleedingcool.com/2019/12...j-m-dematteis/ and Bob Budiansky.
    Art by Bob Budiansky and Danny Bulanadi.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by 616MarvelYear is LeapYear View Post
    Prince Namor the Sub-Mariner #4 Dec 1984
    "The Road Not Taken!"
    The mighty Sub-Mariner has succeeded in making peace between the undersea Kingdom of Atlantis and the surface world,

but at what cost?

NOTE: The events of this Limited Series set up Namor's next chapter which commences in the
    pages of
    Alpha Flight (1983-1994 1st Series) #15-16 and Avengers (1963-1996 1st Series) #262.

Written by J.M. DeMatteis https://www.bleedingcool.com/2019/12...j-m-dematteis/ and Bob Budiansky.
    Art by Bob Budiansky and Danny Bulanadi.
    This was a good ending, and paved the road for Namor the Avenger! He might need something like this in modern times so new readers get to know him as an Avengers and a hero. Too much of his modern appearances rely on being a monarch and an enemy.

Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar

It all begins with SUB-MARINER: MARVELS SNAPSHOT #1 when best-selling novelist and Emmy Award-winning TV writer Alan Brennert (L.A. LAW, TWILIGHT ZONE) and superstar artist Jerry Ordway (ALL-STAR SQUADRON, CRISIS ON INFINITE EARTHS) unite to tell an unforgettable story about Marvel’s original antihero: Prince Namor! Set circa World War II, things kick off with an action-packed tale featuring Namor, Betty Dean, and the All-Winners Squad--a dream come true for Brennert. “I can honestly say that I enjoyed working on this story more than any comics story I've done in years. I grew up reading (and loving) Marvel's Golden Age heroes in the 1960s, in reprints in FANTASY MASTERPIECES. But I never thought I'd have a shot at writing them--especially the All-Winners Squad!--and I'm grateful to Kurt Busiek and Tom Brevoort for providing me the opportunity, and to Jerry Ordway for bringing it all to glorious life,” Brennert says. “I'm enormously proud of ‘Reunion’ and honored to be the first story published in MARVELS SNAPSHOTS.”

Artist Jerry Ordway is just as passionate about bringing this tale to life. "When I was offered this project, I jumped at it, being a big fan of the original MARVELS book by Kurt Busiek and Alex Ross. Getting to draw a Sub-Mariner story set in the 1940s, with appearances by the All-Winners Squad, lets me connect with Marvel’s World War II era history, and the work of Subby’s creator, Bill Everett,” says Ordway. “I’ve been a Marvel maniac from the age of 10, so this is pretty cool! Alan Brennert wrote a great script which fits neatly into the bigger tapestry that is the Marvel Universe. I’m thrilled to get to play in this sandbox after so many years as an artist."

Holy cow! That Alex Ross Everett tribute cover ... AMAZING! There should be enough muscles on that cover for even Thor-El! ;p

I hope the 'everyday person" we see the story through is Betty Dean. She's long overdue for some love. Not familiar with Alan Brennert but he's saying the right things. I did enjoy Jerry Ordway's work on the Invaders oneshot last year.

This is what I was hoping for when this series was announced last year. Glad Marvel, Ross and Busiek came through. Now if we can only get that Namor solo!
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?