Page 181 of 182 FirstFirst ... 81131171177178179180181182 LastLast
Results 2,701 to 2,715 of 2721
    Citizen of Atlantis ImperiusWrecked's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ravin' Ray View Post
    Didn't the tattoos start with Namorita in her blue-skinned Kymaera persona? Because that's the earliest I can recall of any Atlantean having tattoos. Since the Abraxas story in the Fantastic Four in 2001 showed a blue Nita, that means she already had them in the past.
    I was just checking back but Kymaera did not start out with the tattoos, at least I don't think so, and I think they came later also wasn't Nita already back to her usual look just before that New Warriors series? I recall she had the white outfit and pony tail in the comics at some point.

new warriors (1990) #44

"No one should ever question where my allegiance lies." - Namor of Atlantis

Quote Originally Posted by Thor-El View Post
    When I say:

"But how terrible, look how Namor looks like a white man that is leading a tribe of aborigines, and like a modern Tarzan they are all following after him."

I'm referring to the picture below as an example of why Namor with no tattoos and white skin next to a bunch of blue Atlanteans in skimpy clothes and wearing tattoos looks like a white man surrounded by aborigines hence the Tarzan comparison.

I understand.

A fan made a 3 D print sculpture of Namor and I thought it was pretty cool. link

Where the Diwatas and the Triumph Division live

Lovely! And next to He-Man and Skeletor to boot. Too bad DC has the publishing rights to Masters of the Universe, I'd like to see a MotU/Marvel crossover with Namor involved, battling Merman.
    Human Torch/Fantastic Four/She-Hulk/Disney Big Hero 6 /Tangled/G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero/Transformers G1 fanatic, Avatar-maker, and Marvel Moderator
    "一人じゃないから。" AI、『Story』。
    "ヒロ、お前を信じてる。" タダシ、『ベイマックス』。
    "You were my my new dream." "And you were mine." Eugene Fitzherbert and Rapunzel.
    "Knowing is half the battle."
    G.I. Joe.
    Know the CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar

Nice! Very impressed that he did this with a 3D printer??? Some interesting textures and portrayals of the costume / armor.

Of course, the only problem is he left off the ankle wings!

Lovely! And next to He-Man and Skeletor to boot. Too bad DC has the publishing rights to Masters of the Universe, I'd like to see a MotU/Marvel crossover with Namor involved, battling Merman.
    OMG. I just Googled Merman ... he looks like Mr. Fish!
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

I think the tattoos are a terrible idea. First I would have expected Namor to be wearing them too if this was well executed as he is part of this culture. But how terrible, look how Namor looks like a white man that is leading a tribe of aborigines, and like a modern Tarzan they are all following after him.

To me the best Atlanteans are the silver age look where they all wear capes, chi tons, tunics and greco-roman uniforms and helmets adorned with ocean motifs where all Atlanteans look more clothed and civilized than Namor who would only wear his speedo, cape and a crown like a young savage barbarian king ready to spring into action - the avenging son, the savage sub-mariner.
    That's part of my question. Why doesn't Namor have tattoos? Why are those other Atlanteans wearing them?

Of course, if Namor was wearing his speedo, he'd fit in fine with the rest of the Atlanteans. ;p

Interesting ... Whereas, for me, it always struck me as odd that the other Atlanteans were wearing more clothes than Namor in those Silver Age books. And don't get me started on the capes. LOL!

Didn't the tattoos start with Namorita in her blue-skinned Kymaera persona? Because that's the earliest I can recall of any Atlantean having tattoos. Since the Abraxas story in the Fantastic Four in 2001 showed a blue Nita, that means she already had them in the past.
    I think the white tattoos first appeared on blue skinned Namorita, but at a later date, circa 2005 New Warriors. There Atlanteans with black tattoos in the 2002 Tsunami Namor book, though.

Quote Originally Posted by ImperiusWrecked View Post
    I was just checking back but Kymaera did not start out with the tattoos, at least I don't think so, and I think they came later also wasn't Nita already back to her usual look just before that New Warriors series? I recall she had the white outfit and pony tail in the comics at some point.
    IW is right. Kymaera Namorita didn't have any tattoos when she first appeared. I believe, though I could be wrong, that she didn't have the white tattoos until Skottie Young's New Warriors book in 2005. Plus, as IW pointed out, Namorita had shed her blue skin and was back to her normal white skin (and wearing a white costume) before that Skottie Young book. Yes, as Ray mentioned, Namorita was blue (but without tattoos) in the encounter with Abraxas in FF 2001, but that was something Abraxas did, and she was back to normal by the end of that storyline in FF. So, when did Namorita turn back to blue between 2001 and 2005?
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

I think you are right about when these appeared Rev, I certainly most remember them first coming out around this era but if I have enough time I will try to look back further. I'm fine with the Tattoos since it's not on every character that we see, for instance Andromeda doesn't have them, and if we had someone on a Namor book perhaps they could explain them as being something that is culturally important to the Atlanteans/followers of Neptune.
    I think if they were culturally / religiously important, Namor and the nobles would be wearing them. Or we'd see them consistently on the Atlaneans, which we haven't, even in the last 20 years since their appearance. And yes, if we had a Namor book, we maybe could get an explanation. As it is, fans are left to figure it out, when I suspect editorial or artists actually care.

Also I do recall Namor had a set of tattoos in the Order (2007) #7, so he definitely embraced his Atlantean culture with them but perhaps they are in fact some kind of paint for ceremonies or something since he didn't stick with them.

However I will point out that this is the comic where Namor lies and claims that Fen was r*ped by Leonard, so unless Thakorr was telling Namor lies since this never appears in any other comic, I tend not to take that particular claim as canon, but I would not put it past Thakorr who hated surfacers to have tried to spread those kind of tales. Namor always knew that his mother loved his father very much. Yet the tattoos have not appeared on Namor since iirc.
    Hmmm. I'd forgotten about that panel. But I'm not getting the feeling that panel was about Namor embracing his Atlantean culture, so much as Tha-Korr trying to humiliate him again. Besides, Atlantean was the only culture he knew.

I agree. That issue of the Order was full of an awful lot of lying from Namor, which is highly unusual. I'm not sure exactly what Fraction was trying to do there.

That's right, we don't even know if they are actually tattoos or paint. That panel would indicate they are some sort of paint.

Plus, why do they appear now, when they weren't around for most of Atlantean history as we know it?

And I can't help but think there is some caste or class distinction at work, if we don't see them on any of the nobles. Hmmm. Now I have to go back and take a look at Sub-Mariner Revolution. Trying to remember if anyone there had the markings?

In case it isn't clear, I'm a bit torn about the tattoos. I think the lack of thought behind them makes me less than happy with them. Well, that and them suddenly appearing without explanation. They make it look like a fashion choice, like torn jeans or bell bottoms.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Reviresco View Post
    That's part of my question. Why doesn't Namor have tattoos? Why are those other Atlanteans wearing them?

Of course, if Namor was wearing his speedo, he'd fit in fine with the rest of the Atlanteans. ;p

Interesting ... Whereas, for me, it always struck me as odd that the other Atlanteans were wearing more clothes than Namor in those Silver Age books. And don't get me started on the capes. LOL!

I think the white tattoos first appeared on blue skinned Namorita, but at a later date, circa 2005 New Warriors. There Atlanteans with black tattoos in the 2002 Tsunami Namor book, though.
    Namor wearing less than the regular Atlantean strikes me as natural, as heroes in sword and sandals always do. Its not only consistent with the Silver Age but the Golden Age too. As for the origin of the white tattoos I always thought they were copying the Disney movie Atlantis. At least that's the first time I saw those tattoos in media. Which made me think how unoriginal that they were leaving the greco-roman culture behind in favor of an indigenous Atlantis flavor like the Disney animated movie.

Mighty Member

Because I've got a cold this past weekend and even though I feel miserable I got some time to flex my creative juices before the new year. Hope everybody has a a happy new year!!!

Namor vs Roxxon

Sorry to hear you have a cold, but this looks awesome! I love seeing Namor take on Roxxon and the polluting corporations.

Namor wearing less than the regular Atlantean strikes me as natural, as heroes in sword and sandals always do. Its not only consistent with the Silver Age but the Golden Age too. As for the origin of the white tattoos I always thought they were copying the Disney movie Atlantis. At least that's the first time I saw those tattoos in media. Which made me think how unoriginal that they were leaving the greco-roman culture behind in favor of an indigenous Atlantis flavor like the Disney animated movie.

Didn't make that connection, but the timing is right, I think. The movie came out in 2001. Is she Atlantean? I guess I need to watch this.

I don't mind if it is going for an indigenous motif, which makes sense to me, but they certainly need to explain it and the parameters. Cause it wasn't around until relatively recently. Though it is awful geometric. I think it would be cooler and more unique, if they were more like the sea life around.

In the Golden Age, I think Namor actually wore more clothes. And some weird ones at that. But I guess I don't see Namor so much in the Sword and Sandal / Conan mode, though I can see where some story arcs were going for that vibe.

Mighty Member

Sorry to hear you have a cold, but this looks awesome! I love seeing Namor take on Roxxon and the polluting corporations.
    Thank you, Rev. Its always nice to get your seal of approval as one of Namor's most dedicated and knowledgeable fans around.

Mighty Member

Didn't make that connection, but the timing is right, I think. The movie came out in 2001. Is she Atlantean? I guess I need to watch this.

I don't mind if it is going for an indigenous motif, which makes sense to me, but they certainly need to explain it and the parameters. Cause it wasn't around until relatively recently. Though it is awful geometric. I think it would be cooler and more unique, if they were more like the sea life around.

In the Golden Age, I think Namor actually wore more clothes. And some weird ones at that. But I guess I don't see Namor so much in the Sword and Sandal / Conan mode, though I can see where some story arcs were going for that vibe.
    Yes, she is Atlantean. I saw the movie once, when it came out so I don't remember much but I recall there were more natives and if I remember well they all had those symbols in their bodies. I also think they followed up with a Disney channel series or a direct to video sequels.

I always understood Atlantis as this part of the Roman or Greek empire that sunk into the oceans, hence the Father Neptune worship. This indigenous modern take seems so alien to me as I always thought they were Roman/Greek from origin. Of course until I read the golden age as those look more like man-seals or aquatic beings.
    Last edited by Thor-El; 12-30-2019 at 05:52 PM.

Namor didn't show up in Marvel's latest $10 book Incoming, which apparently is a giant ad for future events / books. However, apparently the Defenders of the Deep did. I can't find the whole page online right now. Will keep looking. However, here's what I did fine.

This decree from Namor really doesn't sound like Namor ... but I'm guessing these villains are ... improvising. It results in a great face palm from Black Panther. However, it is confusing, since ... didn't we just spend a whole year with Atlantis attacking ... with that red, white and blue costumed character standing next to BP participating in it? And didn't Cap and the Invaders already "talk sense" into Namor???

I have a WHOLE rant about this panel, besides the WTF with Cap. But it is too late to start right now. I do want to say I like this artists work. I believe it is Andrea Sorrentino, but in a completely different style from his usual Jae Lee look.

This scan is also from Incoming, but it refers to the upcoming Agents of Atlas engagements with Namor. I love Ares reaction. LOL!

Last edited by Reviresco; 12-30-2019 at 11:49 PM.

Thank you, Rev. Its always nice to get your seal of approval as one of Namor's most dedicated and knowledgeable fans around.
    Awww. I'm but one of many on our thread here. But I've no where near your talent with the computer or cosplay, and definitely appreciate you spending your time on my favorite character.

Yes, she is Atlantean. I saw the movie once, when it came out so I don't remember much but I recall there were more natives and if I remember well they all had those symbols in their bodies. I also think they followed up with a Disney channel series or a direct to video sequels.

I always understood Atlantis as this part of the Roman or Greek empire that sunk into the oceans, hence the Father Neptune worship. This indigenous modern take seems so alien to me as I always thought they were Roman/Greek from origin. Of course until I read the golden age as those look more like man-seals or aquatic beings.
    I'll definitely check it out. I'm reading a lot of different takes on Atlantis for research. Which reminds me, I read Mera Tidebreaker ... More on that, as the looting of Namor continues.

I think in some of the various movies and stuff, they use the Greek style, because the only mention of it we get is from the Greek Plato. Allegedly it existed some time in the classical era. However, it is described as outside of that world, also, i.e. more exotic and unknown. It's location sits firmly in the unknown, past the Pillars of Hercules, past the known world. Though, they do borrow Poseidon ... however, that could just be the Greek conception of an Atlantean sea god.

Of course, with Marvel, Atlantis isn't Greek / Roman. It's pre-Hyborian, and belongs in the REH universe of Kull and Conan -- though that wasn't Stan Lee's original intent.
    Last edited by Reviresco; 12-31-2019 at 07:29 AM.