Page 33 of 182 FirstFirst ... 232930313233343536374383133 ... LastLast
    Citizen of Atlantis ImperiusWrecked's Avatar

Was talking with a friend about this scene in Invaders again today and I just always chuckle over the Shark stealing Namor's shorts!

"No one should ever question where my allegiance lies." - Namor of Atlantis

Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar

The expression on Namor's face in that last panel is priceless. LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by ImperiusWrecked View Post
    Ugh I LOVE that art, I love it so much.

Of course I will always be greedy for more Alex Ross Namor, and the Torch miniseries is one of my most reread series, I loved Namor's cameo and the call back to the og fight between the sub-mariner and the torch but this time it took THREE torches just to put Namor down!

Really? I'm surprised that's your most re-read mini-series. It always gets left out of Invaders discussions, though I think that Ross intended it to be part of his trilogy of Invaders titles. Now that I think about it, Ross DID write mostly about Jim Hammond in his books. Half of Avengers Invaders was about Jim and that AI digression. And then, of course, he gave Torch's characters a whole mini. Invaders Now was the only one that didn't have a strong Jim Hammond storyline. Time to go looking for some Alex Ross interviews. ;p

This is why I'm so happy to see Zdarsky feature Namor. He's gotten the short end of the stick as far as story lines and emphasis in most of the Invaders revivals. Not like the British Invaders, who have been woefully ignored, but still, of the founding Invaders, it seems it is either Cap or Hammond.

Rivera has done Namor in a variety of styles, but that one is definitely my favorite. I would love to see more of those. In fact, I'd love to see something like what he, and Phil Noto, did for the FF. Where they did these retro magazine article style pieces, almost a society news sort of thing, for the F4. It would be great to see something like that for Namor, starting with the 30s and 40s, in Old Hollywood glamor gossip mags. We know Namor did the social / nightlife thing from various comics, like in Namor the First Mutant 5 at the restaurant with Betty Dean and in one of Brubaker's books, where Namor was all dressed up for some diplomatic / top brass function and was teasing ... I think it Jim Hammond about dancing with some lady at the ball.
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

Quote Originally Posted by Reviresco View Post
    The expression on Namor's face in that last panel is priceless. LOL!

Really? I'm surprised that's your most re-read mini-series. It always gets left out of Invaders discussions, though I think that Ross intended it to be part of his trilogy of Invaders titles. Now that I think about it, Ross DID write mostly about Jim Hammond in his books. Half of Avengers Invaders was about Jim and that AI digression. And then, of course, he gave Torch's characters a whole mini. Invaders Now was the only one that didn't have a strong Jim Hammond storyline. Time to go looking for some Alex Ross interviews. ;p

This is why I'm so happy to see Zdarsky feature Namor. He's gotten the short end of the stick as far as story lines and emphasis in most of the Invaders revivals. Not like the British Invaders, who have been woefully ignored, but still, of the founding Invaders, it seems it is either Cap or Hammond.

Rivera has done Namor in a variety of styles, but that one is definitely my favorite. I would love to see more of those. In fact, I'd love to see something like what he, and Phil Noto, did for the FF. Where they did these retro magazine article style pieces, almost a society news sort of thing, for the F4. It would be great to see something like that for Namor, starting with the 30s and 40s, in Old Hollywood glamor gossip mags. We know Namor did the social / nightlife thing from various comics, like in Namor the First Mutant 5 at the restaurant with Betty Dean and in one of Brubaker's books, where Namor was all dressed up for some diplomatic / top brass function and was teasing ... I think it Jim Hammond about dancing with some lady at the ball.
    The Torch mini is so underrated, the emotions between the father son dynamic of Toro and Jim make this whole book. I really love Jim and Namor a lot. Jim really gets left out of a lot of things, and Toro too, with Namor its like he just beats them out because he gets thrown into cameos with other titles, xmen, avengers etc. but Jim hasn't had a solo in ages and with how Marvel treats the golden age heroes who aren't Captain America its very unlikely Jim will get anything any time soon. I love how Zdarsky is focusing this Invaders run on Namor (who needs all the focus I can get for him) but I do hope for some good Jim moments, especially the friendship moments between Jim and Namor since I feel they are much closer friends than with the other Invaders.

Namor needs a solo, I know I keep saying this but he NEEDS one. Bring back Oracle, and let Jim take that over like they did in the past, so that Namor has a friend on the surface world (as well as a foothold to keep an eye on surface business) bring back the old council and get Atlantis back to glory! I don't want Namor on the surface the whole time but if he had Oracle then it would be ok for when he needs to go to the surface. World building Namor and his cast should be strong both below and above the sea.

I would also love a whole series or art set in those times too, and I think what you are talking about was the party at Falsworth Manor, where Namor goes to flirt with Jackie and annoy Jim, this was in Winter Kills, one of my favorite stories. (I love Namor in uniform or a suit or anything or nothing )

The Torch mini is so underrated, the emotions between the father son dynamic of Toro and Jim make this whole book. I really love Jim and Namor a lot. Jim really gets left out of a lot of things, and Toro too, with Namor its like he just beats them out because he gets thrown into cameos with other titles, xmen, avengers etc. but Jim hasn't had a solo in ages and with how Marvel treats the golden age heroes who aren't Captain America its very unlikely Jim will get anything any time soon. I love how Zdarsky is focusing this Invaders run on Namor (who needs all the focus I can get for him) but I do hope for some good Jim moments, especially the friendship moments between Jim and Namor since I feel they are much closer friends than with the other Invaders.
    I agree about Jim and Namor being closer. In the comics they are Outsiders, plus they have far more history together than with Cap. I noticed in the new Invaders that Jim tells Cap, Namor IS our friend, while Cap tells Bucky, Namor WAS our friend.

Jim gets left out because of Johnny Storm -- Marvel was going feature him, not the original. Unlike Namor, who did get multiple appearances, and got his own book, Jim never did. So, except for the Golden Age fans -- and there are fewer and fewer of them in fandom and amongst writers, for most comic fans, it's going to be Johnny Storm, when they think of using a Human Torch.

Well, The Torch mini was written by Mike Carey, off an Alex Ross script, and he's a good writer in his own right.

Namor needs a solo, I know I keep saying this but he NEEDS one. Bring back Oracle, and let Jim take that over like they did in the past, so that Namor has a friend on the surface world (as well as a foothold to keep an eye on surface business) bring back the old council and get Atlantis back to glory! I don't want Namor on the surface the whole time but if he had Oracle then it would be ok for when he needs to go to the surface. World building Namor and his cast should be strong both below and above the sea.
    I agree with you 1000%!!! There's so much potential and so much clean up that needs to be done after AvX. And it's beyond time for Namor to have a solo. I mean it's been almost a decade! And this while some really odd choices get books and other characters get multiple chances. And with the success of Aquaman's movie, Marvel needs to get off its butt and put out a quality aquatic book with the OG Prince of Atlantis!

I would also love a whole series or art set in those times too, and I think what you are talking about was the party at Falsworth Manor, where Namor goes to flirt with Jackie and annoy Jim, this was in Winter Kills, one of my favorite stories. (I love Namor in uniform or a suit or anything or nothing )

Yes! That's it! So great!

I also love how Namor comes in the door, and leaves out the window. LOL!

Here's the original Phil Noto images I was talking about. I'd forgotten he called them the Hank Pym Photo Archives.

https://philnoto.com/hank-pym-photo-archives
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

Sigh.

Well, another part of Namor's cast gets trashed. It appears they've killed off Loa in Uncanny X-Men #11. As far as I can tell this happened entirely off panel and for absolutely no reason whatsover. I've no idea how it happened or what she was doing there. Of course, there will be zero reaction from Namor, I'm sure. I am so tired of this sort of "writing."

I'm still holding out hope, like Stingray, that this immediately gets reversed. There's some weird stuff going on in the X-Men books now -- maybe it's an alternate reality or something.

Sigh.

Well, another part of Namor's cast gets trashed. It appears they've killed off Loa in Uncanny X-Men #11. As far as I can tell this happened entirely off panel and for absolutely no reason whatsover. I've no idea how it happened or what she was doing there. Of course, there will be zero reaction from Namor, I'm sure. I am so tired of this sort of "writing."

I'm still holding out hope, like Stingray, that this immediately gets reversed. There's some weird stuff going on in the X-Men books now -- maybe it's an alternate reality or something.
    They do have the Age of X-Man event or whatever going on but I haven't been following more than spoilers to know all details. Still it's like Namorita being resurrected for a single panel and never even showing that she was back or anything in the FF comic that came out last year. Just there is no consequences anymore for killing or bringing them back. I know that comics area revolving door of death but there at least used to be explanations or even whole issues dedicated to X came back from the dead! and character reactions. I really just hate pointless deaths for no reason.

I agree about Jim and Namor being closer. In the comics they are Outsiders, plus they have far more history together than with Cap. I noticed in the new Invaders that Jim tells Cap, Namor IS our friend, while Cap tells Bucky, Namor WAS our friend.

Jim gets left out because of Johnny Storm -- Marvel was going feature him, not the original. Unlike Namor, who did get multiple appearances, and got his own book, Jim never did. So, except for the Golden Age fans -- and there are fewer and fewer of them in fandom and amongst writers, for most comic fans, it's going to be Johnny Storm, when they think of using a Human Torch.

Well, The Torch mini was written by Mike Carey, off an Alex Ross script, and he's a good writer in his own right.

I agree with you 1000%!!! There's so much potential and so much clean up that needs to be done after AvX. And it's beyond time for Namor to have a solo. I mean it's been almost a decade! And this while some really odd choices get books and other characters get multiple chances. And with the success of Aquaman's movie, Marvel needs to get off its butt and put out a quality aquatic book with the OG Prince of Atlantis!

Yes! That's it! So great!

I also love how Namor comes in the door, and leaves out the window. LOL!

Here's the original Phil Noto images I was talking about. I'd forgotten he called them the Hank Pym Photo Archives.

https://philnoto.com/hank-pym-photo-archives

Oh wow, I have seen a few of those around but not all of them, I love it! The whole feel of someone else documenting the downtime of the hero's lives is so interesting.

It's true that distinction is there, Jim and Namor's bond is much stronger and I noticed that Jim said that too in the comic. I really can't wait for the next issue to come out, and yeah I know Marvel does consider Johnny to be the main Human Torch which he is but still we could have more than one comic going on with the other Torches. Well at least I wish we could have Jim as a regular in a Namor comic since I love the idea of fire and water being friends.

The evolution of Namor the Sub-Mariner in cartoons 2018:

Last edited by ImperiusWrecked; 02-09-2019 at 05:50 PM.

That's a great compilation! Thanks for posting it. I'm adding it to the front page.

They do have the Age of X-Man event or whatever going on but I haven't been following more than spoilers to know all details. Still it's like Namorita being resurrected for a single panel and never even showing that she was back or anything in the FF comic that came out last year. Just there is no consequences anymore for killing or bringing them back. I know that comics area revolving door of death but there at least used to be explanations or even whole issues dedicated to X came back from the dead! and character reactions. I really just hate pointless deaths for no reason.
    Yes, that's why I'm hoping that this gets reversed.

Namorita AND Marrina, both return from the dead, and we've seen nothing of them. Makes absolutely no sense. Especially considering all the tough times Atlantis and the Atlanteans are going through. I mean, Nita can run off and help the FF, but she can't help the Atlanteans??? And then there's her mom, Namora, who she hasn't seen in decades.

Oh wow, I have seen a few of those around but not all of them, I love it! The whole feel of someone else documenting the downtime of the hero's lives is so interesting.

It's true that distinction is there, Jim and Namor's bond is much stronger and I noticed that Jim said that too in the comic. I really can't wait for the next issue to come out, and yeah I know Marvel does consider Johnny to be the main Human Torch which he is but still we could have more than one comic going on with the other Torches. Well at least I wish we could have Jim as a regular in a Namor comic since I love the idea of fire and water being friends.
    Phil Noto also did a bunch of variant covers in the same style, as various retro magazines. I'll see if I can find them collected in one place.

We have to get the Namor comic first, before we can get Jim in it. LOL! And I really don't understand WHY this hasn't happened.

We have to get the Namor comic first, before we can get Jim in it. LOL! And I really don't understand WHY this hasn't happened.
    Thanks! And yes Namor needs to have a solo, I only hope Invaders is good enough for Marvel to finally give in and give the fans what we wanted for years.

A fan art of Dorma and Namor that I love from tumblr. Link to artist: Link

Titled: How deep is your love?

That's lovely. I haven't seen that one before. My only complaint is the black leotard. It has a bit of the Phil Noto vibe. Except that Namor is prettier than Noto's.

Now that I think about it, Noto DID do a Namor and Marrina 'photo' for a wedding cover. I'll have to go looking for that.

There's a fluff piece on Namor joining the MCU on CBR.

But I think this photoshopped image explains WHY it must happen asap.

That's lovely. I haven't seen that one before. My only complaint is the black leotard. It has a bit of the Phil Noto vibe. Except that Namor is prettier than Noto's.

Now that I think about it, Noto DID do a Namor and Marrina 'photo' for a wedding cover. I'll have to go looking for that.
    OH PLEASE. I would love to see that very much!

I was looking for the single image, but couldn't find it. Here's the variant comic it appeared on. The blank on the front was where you could get an artist to draw whatever wedding photo.

I was looking for the single image, but couldn't find it. Here's the variant comic it appeared on. The blank on the front was where you could get an artist to draw whatever wedding photo.
    Thank you! I haven't seen this one but I really like his style. Makes me wish we could have another Atlantean wedding so we could get some good art, but this time no one dies. (of course Namor would need a series first and then a love interest)