Page 40 of 182 FirstFirst ... 303637383940414243445090140 ... LastLast
    Citizen of Atlantis ImperiusWrecked's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Reviresco View Post
    Meant to post this yesterday, on His Highness' second birthday, but got distracted. This an amazing culinary celebration by a Japanese fan named Athena-I.

She makes the Namor image out of chocolate! And does it almost every year, and I think I've posted some her previous celebrations, but here's a link to all of them.
    I love all of Athena-I's Namor celebrations! They also do fan art of Namor!
    "No one should ever question where my allegiance lies." - Namor of Atlantis

Chip was asked how does Namor go to the bathroom in the ocean, and I posted the two Namor panels he wrote in Original Sins (2014) The No-Sin Situation which he retweeted. LINK

Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar

I didn't realize that Chip Zdarsky had done that! LOL!

Reminds me of Evan Dorkin's Haiku.

Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

Hi all. I wanted to ask: what are some of Namor's best speed feats for: 1) flying, 2) swimming, 3) and reaction time/speed?
    We are the Dora Milaje. We are the daughters of the 18 tribes of Wakanda. We are the teeth of the Panther God. Out of 10,000 years of sweat and bloodshed and battle are we born. We are the women of this ancient land. Deadliest of the species. And our time has come!

I am not sure about flying but Namor is the fastest swimmer in the Marvel Universe and it was shown that he can swim as fast as Black Panther's Quinjet. From Black Panther (2009) #1

black panther 2009 1.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by nj06 View Post
    Hi all. I wanted to ask: what are some of Namor's best speed feats for: 1) flying, 2) swimming, 3) and reaction time/speed?
    He's a lot faster on all of those than he often gets credit for.

1) Namor should be one of the best flyers, if not the best, on Earth, because unlike most air breathers, he was born, bred and has spent his entire life in a 3-D environment. While most air breathers are learning to walk, Namor was learning to walk AND to 'fly' underwater. He has innate abilities that allow him to know his body position and the position of other bodies attacking from all directions. He shouldn't be confused by a featureless direction, like "up" or "down." Likewise, he should basically be able to "fly blind," given the poor conditions of sight underwater.

As far as feats in comics ... I'm thinking of the fight with Sunfire from Sub-Mariner 54? Any fight with any Torch.

2) He can swim faster than torpedos. If you look at his first appearance in FF #4, he swims out to Atlantis in what seems like minutes / less than an hour, because Johnny Storm is waiting for him to get back / surface after he drops in the drink. We also have numerous times where Namor swims fast enough to cause whirlpools or make himself into a human drill.

3) Here again, I don't think most writers understand or portray Namor correctly. Try throwing a punch underwater. It's MUCH harder and MUCH slower because of the resistance of water. That's the NORMAL resistance Namor has dealt with all his life. It's the NORMAL resistance Atlanteans have evolved over millenia to deal with. So, when he gets out of the water, where the resistance and weight of the atmosphere is much, much less, his reaction time should be tons faster than he's given credit for.

But we do have feats like Namor catching missiles fired from aircraft. Catching the Surfer's board. And numerous fights where his opponents remark on how much quicker he is than they expected.
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

Mighty Member

Saw this poster listed at $20 on Ebay and couldn't pass it since goes usually for $50. Not a fan of the weird coloring but the reproduction of John Buscema's art seems to be really nice and its about 12 x 19 inches. For what I've seen since this series ended other than when McGuinnes draw him in the Red Hulk saga Namor will never look this badass again.

Last edited by Thor-El; 02-25-2019 at 03:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ImperiusWrecked View Post
    I am not sure about flying but Namor is the fastest swimmer in the Marvel Universe and it was shown that he can swim as fast as Black Panther's Quinjet. From Black Panther (2009) #1

black panther 2009 1.jpg

He's a lot faster on all of those than he often gets credit for.

1) Namor should be one of the best flyers, if not the best, on Earth, because unlike most air breathers, he was born, bred and has spent his entire life in a 3-D environment. While most air breathers are learning to walk, Namor was learning to walk AND to 'fly' underwater. He has innate abilities that allow him to know his body position and the position of other bodies attacking from all directions. He shouldn't be confused by a featureless direction, like "up" or "down." Likewise, he should basically be able to "fly blind," given the poor conditions of sight underwater.

As far as feats in comics ... I'm thinking of the fight with Sunfire from Sub-Mariner 54? Any fight with any Torch.

2) He can swim faster than torpedos. If you look at his first appearance in FF #4, he swims out to Atlantis in what seems like minutes / less than an hour, because Johnny Storm is waiting for him to get back / surface after he drops in the drink. We also have numerous times where Namor swims fast enough to cause whirlpools or make himself into a human drill.

3) Here again, I don't think most writers understand or portray Namor correctly. Try throwing a punch underwater. It's MUCH harder and MUCH slower because of the resistance of water. That's the NORMAL resistance Namor has dealt with all his life. It's the NORMAL resistance Atlanteans have evolved over millenia to deal with. So, when he gets out of the water, where the resistance and weight of the atmosphere is much, much less, his reaction time should be tons faster than he's given credit for.

But we do have feats like Namor catching missiles fired from aircraft. Catching the Surfer's board. And numerous fights where his opponents remark on how much quicker he is than they expected.
    Thanks for the responses. I always felt that Namor should be portrayed as being much faster than most people would give him credit for. I would love for future writers to really explore/showcase just how fast Namor is both in and out of the water.
    We are the Dora Milaje. We are the daughters of the 18 tribes of Wakanda. We are the teeth of the Panther God. Out of 10,000 years of sweat and bloodshed and battle are we born. We are the women of this ancient land. Deadliest of the species. And our time has come!

Quote Originally Posted by Thor-El View Post
    Saw this poster listed at $20 on Ebay and couldn't pass it since goes usually for $50. Not a fan of the weird coloring but the reproduction of John Buscema's art seems to be really nice and its about 12 x 19 inches. For what I've seen since this series ended other than when McGuinnes draw him in the Red Hulk saga Namor will never look this badass again.

It is gorgeous! Even with the green tone. I think it was originally part of the FOOM series of posters.

https://www.worthpoint.com/worthoped...oom-1871026638

No doubt, John Buscema drew an amazing and badass Namor. He's one of my favorite artists. And you can definitely see the influence on McGuinness Namor.

Quote Originally Posted by nj06 View Post
    Thanks for the responses. I always felt that Namor should be portrayed as being much faster than most people would give him credit for. I would love for future writers to really explore/showcase just how fast Namor is both in and out of the water.
    He definitely should. Someday, I'll make a pictorial Feats list. Another project. O_O

Mighty Member

It is gorgeous! Even with the green tone. I think it was originally part of the FOOM series of posters.

https://www.worthpoint.com/worthoped...oom-1871026638

No doubt, John Buscema drew an amazing and badass Namor. He's one of my favorite artists. And you can definitely see the influence on McGuinness Namor.
    Those Foom posters are all so great. Wish could have them all!

Mighty Member

Butch Guice posts on his facebook page some of his pencils and final artwork for Invaders. Some of his original panels he redoes when doing final artwork. Very interesting to see those originals, some I even like more than the changes done for final print.

This is so great to see and thanks for sharing Thor-el, I love looking at the art process and Butch's art so far has been great. I'm excited to see what tomorrow brings!

Quote Originally Posted by imperiuswrecked View Post
    this is so great to see and thanks for sharing thor-el, i love looking at the art process and butch's art so far has been great. I'm excited to see what tomorrow brings!

I. Can. Not. Wait!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Thor-El View Post
    Butch Guice posts on his facebook page some of his pencils and final artwork for Invaders. Some of his original panels he redoes when doing final artwork. Very interesting to see those originals, some I even like more than the changes done for final print.
    Wow. Those are some difference! Usually the original thumbnails are more spontaneous and sometimes have more life, but these seem more about making a different interpretation of the script? Or maybe emphasizing a particular emotion or intent. I mean, I actually like the art on that second row panel better than the finished panel, but I think the finished panel carries the script better. It conveys the sheer exhaustion that besets Namor at that moment.

Really cool stuff. Thanks for posting it, Thor-El!