Page 43 of 182 FirstFirst ... 333940414243444546475393143 ... LastLast
    Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Thor-El View Post
    I liked issue 2 a lot. Liked the Butch Guice artwork a lot more than Magnos'. Too few Butch Guice pages this time tough. I don't remember if Nay and her father are new characters created for this series or if they are old characters.
    LOVED Guice's art, as you can see from my new avatar.

I like Magno's work also, but for different reasons. His amazing detail just floors me, and his underwater scenes are gorgeous. But I do like Guice's Namor better. Besides the iconic speedo, he's leaner and more classic than Magno's.

Bill Everett inking Kirby in Thor are some of the most beautiful Kirby artwork I've ever seen.

That's one of the prettiest Thor / Kirby men I've seen. I've seen several Kirby fans who love Everett's inks the best.

Quote Originally Posted by ImperiusWrecked View Post
    Someone asked Carlos Magno that and he confirmed that the characters were new and he was the one who created their designs. Twitter Link

And that Thor art is beautiful! Kirby and Everret made a great duo!
    Thanks for the link!
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

What do you guys think Namor should sound like? Should he have an accent, and what vocal range should he have? Like on a musical scale.
    Pull List:

Marvel Comics: Venom, X-Men, Black Panther, Captain America, Eternals, Warhammer 40000.
    DC Comics: The Last God
    Image: Decorum

Citizen of Atlantis ImperiusWrecked's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Things Fall Apart View Post
    What do you guys think Namor should sound like? Should he have an accent, and what vocal range should he have? Like on a musical scale.
    Namor definitely has an accent, English is NOT is first language, his accent is mentioned in Namor, The Sub-Mariner (1990) #26 as sounded French or German, since the woman is not used to Atlantean accents she would have guessed something like that. I think Namor would have a deep baritone, and I always tend to think of his singing voice to be like a opera singer, very deep and dramatic.

submariner26.jpg
    "No one should ever question where my allegiance lies." - Namor of Atlantis

Namor definitely has an accent, English is NOT is first language, his accent is mentioned in Namor, The Sub-Mariner (1990) #26 as sounded French or German, since the woman is not used to Atlantean accents she would have guessed something like that. I think Namor would have a deep baritone, and I always tend to think of his singing voice to be like a opera singer, very deep and dramatic.

submariner26.jpg
    Someone awhile back said they thought of him as sounding a lot like Yul Brenner in The King and I. As for accent, maybe Israeli Hebrew? Kind of like Gal Gadot's.
    Last edited by KOSLOX; 02-28-2019 at 12:35 PM.
    Pull List:

Marvel Comics: Venom, X-Men, Black Panther, Captain America, Eternals, Warhammer 40000.

Someone awhile back said they thought of him as sounding a lot like Yul Brenner in The King and I. As for accent, maybe Israeli Hebrew? Kind of like Gal Gadot's.
    The comparison of Namor and Yul Brynner in the King and I has been said to me many times when I try to describe Namor, lol. I wonder why? Must be those haughty looks and Kingly demeanor and that Brynner did go without a shirt several times. lol

I do not think he has a 'gal gadot voice' to be honest, I can't accurately describe what Namor sounds like, and I have yet to find an actor or singer who captures his voice perfectly. However one of my fancasts for Namor Daniel Dae Kim did also play the King in the King and I. However his voice wasn't something I think of when I think of Namor, nor the accent.

He's half Scottish, he should have a thick Glaswegian accent:

That's a clip of the film Under the Skin (the director had Scarlett Johansson drive around and ask Glasgow locals for directions while hidden cameras filmed them); got to love Scarlett nodding like she understood more than one word in ten.

I mean, who would have the nerve to ask Namor to repeat anything?

Quote Originally Posted by Panic View Post
    He's half Scottish, he should have a thick Glaswegian accent:

That's a clip of the film Under the Skin (the director had Scarlett Johansson drive around and ask Glasgow locals for directions while hidden cameras filmed them); got to love Scarlett nodding like she understood more than one word in ten.

I mean, who would have the nerve to ask Namor to repeat anything?

LOL! Having been in a situation where I tried to understand a THICK Scottish accent, I can relate.

Also, someone owes me an hour and half of my life back for watching that movie. O_O
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

I'm terrible at voices and music. I think Namor should have a deeper voice, one that could be heard across the battlefield. No tinny voice yelling, Imperius Rex! And he's clearly great at delivering a rousing speech.

submariner26.jpg
    I agree, definitely a slight accent. Though ... I don't see in what universe someone would mistake a German accent for a French one??? I can see hackles rising on both sides that border. LOL!

The comparison of Namor and Yul Brynner in the King and I has been said to me many times when I try to describe Namor, lol. I wonder why? Must be those haughty looks and Kingly demeanor and that Brynner did go without a shirt several times. lol

I do not think he has a 'gal gadot voice' to be honest, I can't accurately describe what Namor sounds like, and I have yet to find an actor or singer who captures his voice perfectly. However one of my fancasts for Namor Daniel Dae Kim did also play the King in the King and I. However his voice wasn't something I think of when I think of Namor, nor the accent.

Definitely the shirtlessness. ;P It's shorthand for describing alot of the attitude and appeal of Namor, since more people are familiar with Yul Brynner. If that 1950s Sub-Mariner tv show had materialized, I'd have definitely cast Yul Brynner over Richard Egan.

Speaking of voices ... when they finally do put Namor in the movies / tv or in animation, do you want him to speak in Stan Lee Shakespearean or in Bill Everett Sufferin' Shad Slang? Of course, the second would probably be ... updated.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Reviresco View Post
    Speaking of voices ... when they finally do put Namor in the movies / tv or in animation, do you want him to speak in Stan Lee Shakespearean or in Bill Everett Sufferin' Shad Slang? Of course, the second would probably be ... updated.
    To me Namor will always sound best with a deep semi-Shakespearean voice like that of John Vernon in the 60s cartoon.

Mighty Member

I used to watch Hercules old films on television when I was a kid and one of the Hercules actors that left the biggest impression on me was Mark Forest who started as a bodybuilder like Steve Reeves and Arnold. Interestingly enough Mark Forest went to become an Opera singer after leaving acting. At the time I never identified Forest with Namor but now that I look back his features seem to resemble Namor a lot, wonder if Gene Colan and John Buscema ever used Forest as a reference for their Namor. I also don't think Namor would look oriental but more Italian like Mark Forest whose real name was Lou Degni and was an american actor, that was an Italian descent fluent in Italian which helped him getting the Hercules part since those films used to be filmed in Italy. Atlantis is also part of the Greek mythology so I don't think oriental actors would be suitable. No oriental city ever worshiped Neptune. Its like making Asgard with predominantly Latino actors or having a black or Latino Thor.

Last edited by Thor-El; 03-04-2019 at 08:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Reviresco View Post
    Hmm.. Neither I guess.

Since we're adapting, I'd model Atlantis on the classic antiquity (with science fiction elements thrown in), and borrow his speech patterns from Lycurgus.
    Last edited by KOSLOX; 03-04-2019 at 08:22 AM.
    Pull List:

I used to watch Hercules old films on television when I was a kid and one of the Hercules actors that left the biggest impression on me was Mark Forest who started as a bodybuilder like Steve Reeves and Arnold. Interestingly enough Mark Forest went to become an Opera singer after leaving acting. At the time I never identified Forest with Namor but now that I look back his features seem to resemble Namor a lot, wonder if Gene Colan and John Buscema ever used Forest as a reference for their Namor. I also don't think Namor would look oriental but more Italian like Mark Forest whose real name was Lou Degni and was an american actor, that was an Italian descent fluent in Italian which helped him getting the Hercules part since those films used to be filmed in Italy. Atlantis is also part of the Greek mythology so I don't think oriental actors would be suitable. No oriental city ever worshiped Neptune. Its like making Asgard with predominantly Latino actors or having a black or Latino Thor.

I can definitely see the resemblance to Namor. Especially in the first picture.
    We are the Dora Milaje. We are the daughters of the 18 tribes of Wakanda. We are the teeth of the Panther God. Out of 10,000 years of sweat and bloodshed and battle are we born. We are the women of this ancient land. Deadliest of the species. And our time has come!

To me Namor will always sound best with a deep semi-Shakespearean voice like that of John Vernon in the 60s cartoon.
    John Veron's voice does creep into your brain after watching all those 60s cartoon. I'd rather seen the older Namor, than the young Namor -- even if those Everett flashbacks in the 1950s were awesome -- and older Namor is more formal in his speech.

Clearly, I need to watch more old Sand and Sandal / Gladiator movies. ;p

I really need a book on John Buscema.

Marvel's already made it clear they don't mind color blind casting. Even if the underwater Atlanteans worship Neptune, I don't think it is because they are descendants of the Greeks or the Romans. They predate those cultures. Arguably, they MAY be the descendants of the pre-Hyborian Atlantis, since Kammu not only bears the last king of Atlantis' name, but had a spiritual connection. So we don't know exactly what, if any, air breathing race the Atlanteans share features with. Everett intended them to be non-white looking, IMO. And actually, he didn't intend them to even be Atlantean. That was an addition of Stan's, IIRC.

OTOH, I have to insist on Namor's dad being of Scottish descent in the comcis. If, for nothing else, the links to the Cimmerians and the air breathing Atlanteans. LOL!

Hmm.. Neither I guess.

Since we're adapting, I'd model Atlantis on the classic antiquity (with science fiction elements thrown in), and borrow his speech patterns from Lycurgus.
    Plato's Atlantis? I think that still leaves quite a bit of room for the style of the city.

The more I think about it, the more I think that if we don't get an Asian Namor, we'll get a British Commonwealth Namor. Off the top of my head, I just can't think of an American actor who can pull off the role. Voice actor, if they go with animation, could be different, but I'm not that familiar with the voice actors.

And as far as accent ... it doesn't have to be thick. I'm thinking of the way Mads Mikkelson, or Rutger Hauer, or Alexander Skarsgård speak.

I agree with Namor having the older school dramatic Shakespearean speech, and not a more modern slang. In the end I humbly suggest that if we do get a movie then each actor going up for the role should scream 'Imperius Rex!' as part of their auditions. XD

Does anyone know if Marvel will be creating/releasing 80th anniversary comics like they did for the 70th? I'm looking to preorder any Namor 80th comics and don't know when and if this news will be released?