Page 47 of 182 FirstFirst ... 374344454647484950515797147 ... LastLast
    Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Blind Wedjat View Post
    This is what he posted

Quote Originally Posted by Coatl View Post
    Wasn't it a cover for a past event? Fear itself "The deep" I guess.
    Yes, it is the cover for an older event tie-in mini-series, Fear Itself The Deep.

Thanks for posting that, Blind Wedjat! Appreciate it!

It's an interesting choice, but I'm guessing that he probably wanted something that related to the Hendrix lyrics, than that he's thinking of Namor in the movie. And he does say on his twitter page that, "HINT: tweets are never teases or hints." Of course, that doesn't explain why it was deleted. ;p
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

This popped up in my recommended list for Amazon.
    Namor the Sub-Mariner by John Byrne and Jae Lee Omnibus
    Pull List:

Marvel Comics: Venom, X-Men, Black Panther, Captain America, Eternals, Warhammer 40000.
    DC Comics: The Last God
    Image: Decorum

Quote Originally Posted by Things Fall Apart View Post
    This popped up in my recommended list for Amazon.
    Namor the Sub-Mariner by John Byrne and Jae Lee Omnibus
    Yes! It's official. Or at least Amazon Official.

Wow. 1.7 POUNDS of pure 90s Namor! Almost 1200 pages! All oversized! Can't wait till October.
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

Mighty Member

This turned up in the facebook Namor group, thought you guys would appreciate seeing it.: Brazilian cover, inspired by an Everett panel from Marvel Comics #11. The unknown artist added lots of realistic details to the characters and their costumes... Namor was colored green sometimes... reflecting the confusion of the first issue's coloring.

Brazilian reprints of Everett's Sub-Mariner stories featured amazing covers, often inspired directly by Everett's interiors. About 6 months after Marvel Comics #13, in which the Sub-Mariner and Forma sported these amazing costumes, the cover for Gibi Mensal #4 featured this gorgeous illustration, based in one of the panels by Everet.

And the original panel from the golden age issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Thor-El View Post
    This turned up in the facebook Namor group, thought you guys would appreciate seeing it.: Brazilian cover, inspired by an Everett panel from Marvel Comics #11. The unknown artist added lots of realistic details to the characters and their costumes... Namor was colored green sometimes... reflecting the confusion of the first issue's coloring.

Those are FABULOUS! Definitely "Fin" costume quality.

And look at that fish on the gas mask cover! That's the angriest fish I've ever seen.

It looks like everyone is colored yellow on that first cover. Isn't that a cop on the corner getting knocked out? He looks yellow too.

These are great finds, Thor-El. Thanks for sharing.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Reviresco View Post
    Those are FABULOUS! Definitely "Fin" costume quality.

And look at that fish on the gas mask cover! That's the angriest fish I've ever seen.

It looks like everyone is colored yellow on that first cover. Isn't that a cop on the corner getting knocked out? He looks yellow too.

These are great finds, Thor-El. Thanks for sharing.
    Glad you liked it.

So where exactly is Atlantis these days? How many times has the city been rebuilt and/or moved locations? Has Marvel ever really pinned this down? It's difficult to get a grasp in you mind of the geography of Marvel's undersea locations which makes it hard to imagine the hows/whens and wheres of particular stories or future world building.

Citizen of Atlantis ImperiusWrecked's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Doombot View Post
    So where exactly is Atlantis these days? How many times has the city been rebuilt and/or moved locations? Has Marvel ever really pinned this down? It's difficult to get a grasp in you mind of the geography of Marvel's undersea locations which makes it hard to imagine the hows/whens and wheres of particular stories or future world building.
    Atlantis was first set in the Antarctic waters way back in the beginning but it has moved many times, I always tend to think of it somewhere in the Atlantic oceans these days since the last Map of Atlantis had is very old. But it has been in the pacific back when Namor was with the X-Men and they created New Atlantis. Also in Agents of Atlas someone finally explained how Atlantis could be rebuilt quickly with Atlantean tech and the city was called Oceanus. Right now I have zero clue as to where Atlantis is specifically but apparently in Invaders it seems to be rebuilding slowly after it was destroyed in Avengers. I tend to think of it not too far away from New York since Namor frequently shows up there but I could be wrong.
    Agents of Atlas (2009) #6:

Quote Originally Posted by Thor-El View Post

Brazilian reprints of Everett's Sub-Mariner stories featured amazing covers, often inspired directly by Everett's interiors. About 6 months after Marvel Comics #13, in which the Sub-Mariner and Forma sported these amazing costumes, the cover for Gibi Mensal #4 featured this gorgeous illustration, based in one of the panels by Everet.
    Amazing! Thanks for sharing Thor-el! I love seeing foreign covers, and I have seen a few online but not these. Love this one especially.
    "No one should ever question where my allegiance lies." - Namor of Atlantis

A fan on twitter made this fan edit of actor Rick Yune as Namor! Link

Nice! I love these photoshopped actors artists are doing.

Nice! I love these photoshopped actors artists are doing.
    Me too. As long as the artists were given permission from the actors.

Quote Originally Posted by K7P5V View Post
    Me too. As long as the artists were given permission from the actors.

I don't think that happens or is expected, even for people who are selling prints and publicity photos of the actors.

Quote Originally Posted by Doombot View Post
    Yes, it was pinned down in an annual or letters page a long time ago -- back before the ocean floor was even 'mapped,' IIRC. All the new stuff, however, not so much. The Marvel Atlas pinned it down to the North Atlantic on nearer Ireland, for some reason. Of course, that was before at least four or five destruction of Atlantis, so it's out of date.

I don't think Marvel really cares about Atlantis or world building the undersea civilizations, or about what little continuity has been established. When every air breather and his ancient grandfather can visit, spy on it, kidnap Atlanteans, etc. -- in a loin cloth, no less -- it's clearly nothing but a place to be trashed to make other characters look good. Writers seem to have zero understanding how hostile an environment the ocean is, or remember that Atlantis is one of the most advanced technological and magical civilizations on the planet. It's the only one that has actually conquered the planet, on panel. Sadly, it's been destroyed far too many times in the modern age, and what, 6 or 7 times in the last decade alone?

Quote Originally Posted by ImperiusWrecked View Post
    Atlantis was first set in the Antarctic waters way back in the beginning but it has moved many times, I always tend to think of it somewhere in the Atlantic oceans these days since the last Map of Atlantis had is very old. But it has been in the pacific back when Namor was with the X-Men and they created New Atlantis. Also in Agents of Atlas someone finally explained how Atlantis could be rebuilt quickly with Atlantean tech and the city was called Oceanus. Right now I have zero clue as to where Atlantis is specifically but apparently in Invaders it seems to be rebuilding slowly after it was destroyed in Avengers. I tend to think of it not too far away from New York since Namor frequently shows up there but I could be wrong.
    Agents of Atlas (2009) #6:

I think Oceanus is a colony, not Atlantis the capital city proper. Of course, one wonders what Lemuria thinks about Atlantis building two cities in the Pacific -- though one of them, New Atlantis, is now destroyed.

The Antarctic Atlantis, the one Bill Everett created and didn't consider Atlantis at all, wasn't the first historical Atlantis. It was Tha-Korr's, or his father's Atlantis, after they moved from the old site, for some reason I can't remember. The first Atlantis was built on the ruins of the pre-Catacylsym Atlantis, somewhere in the middle of the Atlantic. Of course, repeatedly retconned with more and more history to also be the site of some version of Attilan and Morgan Le Fay's Avalon. Part of the problem being, that Atlantis is name of the continent and the capital city and the empire.

And then there's Ry'leh ...

Yes, it was pinned down in an annual or letters page a long time ago -- back before the ocean floor was even 'mapped,' IIRC. All the new stuff, however, not so much. The Marvel Atlas pinned it down to the North Atlantic on nearer Ireland, for some reason. Of course, that was before at least four or five destruction of Atlantis, so it's out of date.

I don't think Marvel really cares about Atlantis or world building the undersea civilizations, or about what little continuity has been established. When every air breather and his ancient grandfather can visit, spy on it, kidnap Atlanteans, etc. -- in a loin cloth, no less -- it's clearly nothing but a place to be trashed to make other characters look good. Writers seem to have zero understanding how hostile an environment the ocean is, or remember that Atlantis is one of the most advanced technological and magical civilizations on the planet. It's the only one that has actually conquered the planet, on panel. Sadly, it's been destroyed far too many times in the modern age, and what, 6 or 7 times in the last decade alone?

I think Oceanus is a colony, not Atlantis the capital city proper. Of course, one wonders what Lemuria thinks about Atlantis building two cities in the Pacific -- though one of them, New Atlantis, is now destroyed.

The Antarctic Atlantis, the one Bill Everett created and didn't consider Atlantis at all, wasn't the first historical Atlantis. It was Tha-Korr's, or his father's Atlantis, after they moved from the old site, for some reason I can't remember. The first Atlantis was built on the ruins of the pre-Catacylsym Atlantis, somewhere in the middle of the Atlantic. Of course, repeatedly retconned with more and more history to also be the site of some version of Attilan and Morgan Le Fay's Avalon. Part of the problem being, that Atlantis is name of the continent and the capital city and the empire.

And then there's Ry'leh ...
    It's a mess, and as I said before, there is not one single comic or series where we can glean all the necessary worldbuilding of Atlantis and the Sea-vilations (LOL, sorry a sea pun) and other colonies/cities to have a well defined idea of where everything is. In either case I know we had Atlantis, Lemuria (though I haven't read anything about it in some time), Oceanus, Attuma and the Trenches, and other various places like Trident Station etc. where Sea people congregated in one time or another. Also iirc wasn't there a group of sea people who took over Old Atlantis in the Antarctic and Namor had to send them a message that he was the only King? This happened I believe in a Fantastic Four comic and Susan or someone had to be a emissary.

I think I should try and ask Chip Zdarsky what he thinks about locations since he is currently writing Atlantis in Invaders?

Quote Originally Posted by ImperiusWrecked View Post
    I think I should try and ask Chip Zdarsky what he thinks about locations since he is currently writing Atlantis in Invaders?
    He answered with wanting to leave it vague. Here is the link to the tweet: Link