Page 66 of 182 FirstFirst ... 165662636465666768697076116166 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    Yeah, that would never happen in real...bzz bzz bzz...wait! "Haliburton" who?

I hate to say it folks, but Marvel has missed The Sub-Mariner's window. With Aquaman's box office performance, even if they had the rights sewed up, it would be very difficult to launch a Namor project that makes investing in a comics push for him seem worthwhile to TPTB. Unless somebody comes up with a killer pitch, i suspect it will be sometime before Marvel's earliest anti-hero sees another title.
    Could they do something on Disney + though?
    Pull List:

Marvel Comics: Venom, X-Men, Black Panther, Captain America, Eternals, Warhammer 40000.
    DC Comics: The Last God
    Image: Decorum

Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Things Fall Apart View Post
    I think, though I am not certain, that Disney + is going to be for MCU related characters. Like the only What If stories in that animated show will deal with characters that have appeared in the MCU.

If that's the case, we'd probably see Namor in something under Jeph Loeb aegis, rights settled, which doesn't exactly fill me with confidence. O_O
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Things Fall Apart View Post
    Even if they could, they would have a hard time looking original. Unless it was a truly epic work, The Casuals would see it as a cheesey knockoff of Aquaman. Which is shatteringly ironic.

Citizen of Atlantis ImperiusWrecked's Avatar

I do wonder where this fan response was printed? Spock's creator was a fan of Subby and Spock was inspired by Namor, I had guessed this theory but haven't seen it confirmed anywhere.

link

"No one should ever question where my allegiance lies." - Namor of Atlantis

A Youtube channel called Marvel Knights Animations created a stop motion animation of Namor and I thought I would share, it's not long and I believe they used the voice over from one of the video games.

Youtube Link
    Published on Apr 6, 2019
    Marvel Namor The Sub-Mariner Stop Motion Test.

This videos shows the animation test of Prince Namor spinning his trident to drown his fellow surface dweller X-Man Ice Man.

Even if they could, they would have a hard time looking original. Unless it was a truly epic work, The Casuals would see it as a cheesey knockoff of Aquaman. Which is shatteringly ironic.
    People, the causal fans, already consider Namor a knock off, I wouldn't care so long as we get something. The only way to make Namor stand out is to let it (tv show, movie, animation) be about him and not drag him into a crossover or team up and shove him to the background. I'm still angry that they replaced him with Attuma in the Black Panther cartoon honestly.

I hate to say it folks, but Marvel has missed The Sub-Mariner's window. With Aquaman's box office performance, even if they had the rights sewed up, it would be very difficult to launch a Namor project that makes investing in a comics push for him seem worthwhile to TPTB. Unless somebody comes up with a killer pitch, i suspect it will be sometime before Marvel's earliest anti-hero sees another title.
    Well, the obvious answer to that is NOT to make it cheesey. ;p

It's a sad commentary on Marvel Comics that the movies direct which characters to push, which comics to make.

That said, I don't think Marvel, either the movies or the comics, are that concerned about originality or following the competition. Both Marvel and DC released their live action arrow slinging heroes around the same time. Heck, look at the constant comics push Moon Knight, Marvel's Batman, for over a decade. Marvel comics have been pushing Captain Marvel for almost as long, as an answer to DC's Wonder Woman. There's absolutely no reason why Marvel comics shouldn't be pushing Namor heavily, and showing why the OG Ultraman of the Deep is still the best.

I'm not so sure the MCU will be doing a Namor movie, because the DCU Aquaman stole quite a few things from Namor. But the success of Aquaman should at least show the comics side how awesome that undersea world can be. That's what I hope we Namor fans get out of the Aquaman movie.

Quote Originally Posted by ImperiusWrecked View Post
    People, the causal fans, already consider Namor a knock off, I wouldn't care so long as we get something. The only way to make Namor stand out is to let it (tv show, movie, animation) be about him and not drag him into a crossover or team up and shove him to the background. I'm still angry that they replaced him with Attuma in the Black Panther cartoon honestly.
    Sadly, DC is going full steam ahead on their Namor knock off characters. While Aquaman stole the Outsider / Other aspect of Namor, Black Adam is about to steal the sharper edges, regal side of Namor's personality. If they give Black Adam the 'look' of Namor, with the pointy ears, widows's peak, and eyebrows, I'm sure Feige will use that as "reasons" to not use Namor in anything.

But again, none of that should stop the comics side of things.
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

I do wonder where this fan response was printed? Spock's creator was a fan of Subby and Spock was inspired by Namor, I had guessed this theory but haven't seen it confirmed anywhere.

link

Thank you for this! I knew I'd read somewhere about the Spock connection. I wish I could find that article the writer referenced. People always point to the obvious looks, but because of their personalities, seem to forget the other core similarity. Both Spock and Namor are mixed race, and it's definitely shaped their characters. Interestingly, both have chosen to try to more like their chosen race than anyone from that race.

A Youtube channel called Marvel Knights Animations created a stop motion animation of Namor and I thought I would share, it's not long and I believe they used the voice over from one of the video games.

Youtube Link
    Published on Apr 6, 2019

This videos shows the animation test of Prince Namor spinning his trident to drown his fellow surface dweller X-Man Ice Man.

I love this! Especially the blue plastic bag water chasing them around. LOL!

An amazing amount of work for this kind of animation. Excellent work! I need to add it to the front page.

Thanks for posting!

Mighty Member

Last week-end was The Great Philadelphia Comic Con and Mr. Baaden represented with Sub-mariner in a couple of his suits he created from Subby's old wardrobe. Really excellent job and really cool pictures. He also creates costumes for other cosplayer friends, there was an awesome Moonknight costume he created and a Valzod.

Last edited by Thor-El; 04-19-2019 at 08:22 AM. Reason: typos

^
    His biceps are huge, and the costume is pretty good all things considered.
    The city I once knew as home is teetering on the edge of radioactive oblivion

Quote Originally Posted by Thor-El View Post
    Last week-end was The Great Philadelphia Comic Con and Mr. Baaden represented with Sub-mariner in a couple of his suits he created from Subby's old wardrobe. Really excellent job and really cool pictures. He also creates costumes for other cosplayer friends, there was an awesome Moonknight costume he created and a Valzod.

I love his expression.

As well as his ... dedication to fitness. Awesome cosplay!

Quote Originally Posted by Spiderfang View Post
    ^
    His biceps are huge, and the costume is pretty good all things considered.
    I think he's put on some muscle. I don't remember his biceps being that big in the first picture I saw of him a couple of years ago.

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Reviresco View Post
    Thank you for this! I knew I'd read somewhere about the Spock connection. I wish I could find that article the writer referenced. People always point to the obvious looks, but because of their personalities, seem to forget the other core similarity. Both Spock and Namor are mixed race, and it's definitely shaped their characters. Interestingly, both have chosen to try to more like their chosen race than anyone from that race.
    I have to wonder if this is a case of "it just happened to turn out that way." Roddenbury's initial vision of Spock was nothing like any of the interpretations that made it to the screen.

I have to wonder if this is a case of "it just happened to turn out that way." Roddenbury's initial vision of Spock was nothing like any of the interpretations that made it to the screen.
    Which is why I would love to see the article this letter writer referred to. As much as I love Namor's look, I realize he didn't exactly originate it.

What was Roddenberry's initial vision of Spock?

Mighty Member

Youtube Link
    Published on Apr 6, 2019

This was very cool. A ton of work went into doing this stop motion animation I'm sure. Well done!