Page 7 of 182 FirstFirst ... 345678910111757107 ... LastLast
    Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar

Video of Kevin Feige at the Golden Globes talking about looking forward to getting all the Marvel characters back and how he enjoyed Aquaman -- but DC and Marvel aren't competing. Hmmmm.

http://www.mtv.com/news/3108827/kevi...e-guardians-3/
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

Quote Originally Posted by Reviresco View Post
    Video of Kevin Feige at the Golden Globes talking about looking forward to getting all the Marvel characters back and how he enjoyed Aquaman -- but DC and Marvel aren't competing. Hmmmm.

http://www.mtv.com/news/3108827/kevi...e-guardians-3/
    Well...in a sense that is true. DC has only had one successful movie while Marvel is working on it' 11th or 12th. To compete you have to win more times then that.lol
    Last edited by DragonsChi; 01-07-2019 at 05:46 PM.
    Idea's Open Discussion And Growth. Silencing Idea's Confirms Them To Be True In The Minds Of Those Who Hold Them. The Attempt Of Eliminating Idea's Proves You To Be A Fool.

Quote Originally Posted by DragonsChi View Post
    Well...in a sense that is true. DC has only had one successful movie while Marvel is working on it' 11th or 12th. To compete you have to win more times then that.lol
    Heh.

Of course, Twitter immediately claims this means Feige is going to make a Namor movie. Clearly, those people haven't watched Feige forget Namor exists for the last ten years.
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

Citizen of Atlantis ImperiusWrecked's Avatar

Heh.

Of course, Twitter immediately claims this means Feige is going to make a Namor movie. Clearly, those people haven't watched Feige forget Namor exists for the last ten years.
    ha, that time a supposed leak went around about the next phase of mcu movies me and every Namor fan I had known at the time knew it was a fake because it had Namor on there. *sighs* Maybe someone else will remember him.
    "No one should ever question where my allegiance lies." - Namor of Atlantis

That particular take on Young Namor, and there have been a few, appeared in something Marvel called the Tsunami line, which was allegedly aimed at manga readers. I'm pretty sure this book was aimed at a younger audience also. It had great art by Salvador LaRocca, and beautiful covers. But I didn't care for the story so much, as I wasn't the target audience -- but I have heard from fans who loved it and were introduced to Namor via the book. I tend to consider it out of continuity, as it contradicts so much that has come before it.
    I also don't consider it canon, it really messes with what happened before, and Thakorr was way too nice. I did like the grandmother though, and it had really great art, but I have way too many issues with the story.

Quote Originally Posted by ImperiusWrecked View Post
    ha, that time a supposed leak went around about the next phase of mcu movies me and every Namor fan I had known at the time knew it was a fake because it had Namor on there. *sighs* Maybe someone else will remember him.
    The thing is, there ARE people in the business that know about Namor. I remember one of the Agent Carter writers talking about Namor -- but it was followed by the rights excuse. I would have been in HEAVEN if Namor had showed up in that show with Peggy -- and Betty Dean!!!

I also don't consider it canon, it really messes with what happened before, and Thakorr was way too nice. I did like the grandmother though, and it had really great art, but I have way too many issues with the story.
    The art was gorgeous! But yes, I wasn't that impressed by the story. Or some of the characters. And, of course, it invalidates a portion of the origin story. Interestingly enough, the reason we got that series was because Universal was prepping the movie!

Quote Originally Posted by Jemas
    "Namor is a real part of the fabric of Marvel's history and at one time had been one of the most important early characters in the Universe," said Jemas. "In the next couple of years Namor is going Hollywood; Universal Studios purchased the rights to the character. They have a first class creative team in full-scale development of the property. Our job at Marvel, once we know a property is going Hollywood, is we make a real emphasis to do the things that comic books do best which is help get groundswell behind the character early. One of the reasons why Hollywood is so interested in comic books is because they like the buzz that comic book fans create and they understand that comic book fans in general are pretty good at predicting media trends.

"The creative pitches [for Namor], and these are from some of the people I like best in the industry and you know who you are and know I'm making fun of you right now, they fell into two categories: One was from people that were so tired of the old Namor stories that they had the character walk around the rust belt with a backpack, 'I am the former Prince of Atlantis hiding out in Pittsburgh working in a diner,' which I think has nothing to do with the essence of the character. Or they were so in love with the old stories that they did what I call 'Tip-toeing through the Tuna,' where the books were really entirely creatures of 1950s, '60s, '70s storytelling. The approach to Namor had to be very consistent with the original story, but not to let the specifics of the original storytelling guide the narrative.

"Namor is a wonderful character known as a fiery young man with significant passions. The book is a love and political story set in Atlantis in 1930s and the United States. There's nothing about the book that is terribly inconsistent with continuity, but it's certainly not an Ultimate book. It doesn't throw away the old continuity and set the character in the year 2003."

As to the books themselves, Jemas will be co-writing "Namor" with indie creator Andi Watson. Jemas explained his involvement in the process and why he's teamed up with Watson.

"I think to some extent it's important when you're re-launching a character that you have somebody who has a perspective on the role the character will play in the Marvel Universe," explained Jemas. "It does help to have Joe or Me or one of the Marvel editors to be very, very involved in the development of the first story arc. The way it's played out so far is I did the beat sheets for the six issues and some suggestions to Andi for the next six. He's has some of the best scripts I've ever read off of the beat sheets and has done an outstanding job."

Following the first twelve issues Jemas expect Watson to take over the writing chores completely.
    https://www.cbr.com/marvels-12203-pr...-of-a-tsunami/

Was it canon that Namor was sterile and then was that retconned with the appearance of Kamar?

Namor and subject of kids, (I know in AU verses he has had kids, but I'm talking strictly 616 right now):

At first Namor had never had kids, and during the 90's comic we have the whole arc with Llyra and Llyron who turned out to be Namor's nephew since basically he had said he 'couldn't' be Llyron's father, basically the only that could be is if he was sterile. Which was also the issue with Nita finding out the truth about herself and that a long time ago when Namora wanted a child, she had to have Namorita as a clone of herself, so it was canon that half-humans, half-atlanteans couldn't have kids due to them being sterile.

Then comes the 2007 sub-mariner series and Kamar, who just popped up out of the blue and then died (I would have rather we kept Kamar around but it doesn't look like he is going to come back anytime soon) who was Namor's son with an unnamed atlantean woman of Namor's court.

Then we have the Agents of Atlas issue #7 where it was revealed that Namora's birth was calculated so that she and Namor might someday helm a new breed of Atlanteans, and so that could have implied that they could have kids but it was difficult, or only with someone who was like them.

Then we also have the Namor the First Mutant series (Riviresco you reminded me of Loa and I have always had a thought that she may be Namor's granddaughter) where we see Namor rescue a man who could look like him and Alice, (the baby boy Alice had) and we have Loa who was effected by the amulet that Namor had given her grandmother, which honestly I think it would only work on someone with atlantean royal blood?

The thing is, there ARE people in the business that know about Namor. I remember one of the Agent Carter writers talking about Namor -- but it was followed by the rights excuse. I would have been in HEAVEN if Namor had showed up in that show with Peggy -- and Betty Dean!!!
    OMG I had the SAME thought when Agent Carter was announced, and I thought for sure that would be the best way to have a cameo of Namor before moving him to the larger MCU. I honestly thought the first set pictures of Peggy and the blonde roommate she had was going to be Betty Dean.

Thanks for the link to that too! I wonder why Universal never went through with it? They did with Hulk.

BANNED

OMG I had the SAME thought when Agent Carter was announced, and I thought for sure that would be the best way to have a cameo of Namor before moving him to the larger MCU. I honestly thought the first set pictures of Peggy and the blonde roommate she had was going to be Betty Dean.

Thanks for the link to that too! I wonder why Universal never went through with it? They did with Hulk.
    who's the cosplayer in your avy?

Quote Originally Posted by Ichijinijisanji View Post
    who's the cosplayer in your avy?
    Hello! That isn't a cosplayer, it's a edit I made. The actor is Russell Wong back when he was younger. I always thought he looked like he could play a young prince Namor if they had ever made a Sub-Mariner film back then.

BANNED

lmao should've looked closer

I think Daniel dae kim has shown interest in playing namor

Quote Originally Posted by Ichijinijisanji View Post
    lmao should've looked closer

I think Daniel dae kim has shown interest in playing namor
    Daniel Dae Kim was one of my picks for Namor, and I have a few.

daniel dae kim namor.jpg

Other people who I believe also showed interest was Brian Tee and Donnie Yen. I think Brian Tee could make a good Namor too, and my other pick would be Rick Yune.

rick yune namor.jpg

Was it canon that Namor was sterile and then was that retconned with the appearance of Kamar?

Namor and subject of kids, (I know in AU verses he has had kids, but I'm talking strictly 616 right now):

At first Namor had never had kids, and during the 90's comic we have the whole arc with Llyra and Llyron who turned out to be Namor's nephew since basically he had said he 'couldn't' be Llyron's father, basically the only that could be is if he was sterile. Which was also the issue with Nita finding out the truth about herself and that a long time ago when Namora wanted a child, she had to have Namorita as a clone of herself, so it was canon that half-humans, half-atlanteans couldn't have kids due to them being sterile.

Then comes the 2007 sub-mariner series and Kamar, who just popped up out of the blue and then died (I would have rather we kept Kamar around but it doesn't look like he is going to come back anytime soon) who was Namor's son with an unnamed atlantean woman of Namor's court.

Then we have the Agents of Atlas issue #7 where it was revealed that Namora's birth was calculated so that she and Namor might someday helm a new breed of Atlanteans, and so that could have implied that they could have kids but it was difficult, or only with someone who was like them.

Then we also have the Namor the First Mutant series (Riviresco you reminded me of Loa and I have always had a thought that she may be Namor's granddaughter) where we see Namor rescue a man who could look like him and Alice, (the baby boy Alice had) and we have Loa who was effected by the amulet that Namor had given her grandmother, which honestly I think it would only work on someone with atlantean royal blood?
    Namor didn't give that amulet to Loa's grandmother, IIRC. He gave it to Betty Dean. I'll have to read it again, but I didn't get the feeling that Loa was related to Namor.

Oh god. Sometimes, I hate the Byrne run. Actually, I hate all the nonsense dealing with the fertility of Atlanteans airbreathers hybrids. Hated Byrne's theory, hated Kamar's sudden appearance, hated Parker's secret eugenics program. None of it made sense.

I mean, does it make sense that a HEREDITARY, ruling monarchy would allow a ruler who couldn't provide an heir? Especially when they have royal heirs, who aren't hybrids, who desperately WANT the throne? No it does not. Does it make any sense that a ruling prince, who didn't have his own father or a supportive father figure, farm out his HEIR to some wacko to raise and never have anything to do with him? No it does not. Does it make any sense that over the centuries, the rulers of Atlantis wouldn't figure out that hey, listening to those scientist were making them more air breather than they were Atlanteans? No it does not.

Seriously. NEED A LONGTERM SOLO BOOK to straighten this mess out. Ugh.

Objectively, the Hulk is far more of a household name, and comic book success than Namor. And the Hulk didn't do exactly gang busters for Universal -- it may have broken even. Which may have had some bearing on Namor's movie not getting greenlit. Of course, there was going to be a TON of CGI, and this was almost 15 years ago. The script I read was visually amazing. The production / concept art was supposed to be amazing. But the directors kept saying they were wrestling with the script and then Marvel Studios started up.

That would have been so awesome if they had used Betty Dean in the show. Heck, I'd have settled for having one of the background cops be Officer Dean.
    Last edited by Reviresco; 01-07-2019 at 09:19 PM.