Page 15 of 25 FirstFirst ... 5111213141516171819 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Veitha View Post
    Yeah, it's a bit redundant. spoilers:
    But she becomes an invulnerable Wolverine.
    end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    yeah but so what? Wolverine isnt OP. His limiting factor is his healing factor, not his claws. She herself has so many other powers that she wouldnt be redundant around him
    end of spoilers

spoilers:
    M having a Penance form makes me think of Emma's diamond form. Perhaps the price for being truly invulnerable and able to cut through anything is that she loses her psionic powers.
    end of spoilers
    Quote Originally Posted by The General, JLA #38
    'Why?' Just to see the disappointment on your corn-fed, gee-whiz face, Superman. And because a great dark voice on the edge of nothing spoke to me and said you all had to die. There is no 'Why?'

Quote Originally Posted by nx01a View Post
    spoilers:
    M having a Penance form makes me think of Emma's diamond form. Perhaps the price for being truly invulnerable and able to cut through anything is that she loses her psionic powers.
    end of spoilers
    or most of them. Meaning no flight or super strength either. spoilers:
    What she gains is heightened speed, faster reflexes, impenetrable skin in addition to the deadly claws. She doesnt use her TP enough for that trade off to make sense
    end of spoilers

I wonder if she has merged with Hollow's body again.

So did we get any reference to her tramp stamp in this issue or not? The real concern here.

Extraordinary Member Silver Fang's Avatar

Since the issue has been out for many hours, are spoiler tags still needed at this point?

I'll use them just in case, but be nice when we don't have to worry.

spoilers:
    This new reveal is interesting & raises many questions. If it's present day, I would really like a good writer to cover this story.

• How does she feel being in a form that was the start of her brother's abuse?
    • How'd she come to terms with the form enough to willingly take it?
    • She once mocked Marius for turning into a freak for power's sake, but her Penance form is equally monstrous-looking, how does she feel about that? Does it make her uncomfortable knowing she can take a form into such a feral-looking creature?
    • How did she find out she could do this? Was it an accident, did she do more exploration with her powers?

I think this is a nice change. it doesn't feel redundant at all, and unlike Emma's diamond form, something like this make sense rather than a writer giving a character a random unrelated power because they needed a tank & Colossus was unavailable. The Penance form compared to the diamond form is an insult to the former. lol

On a serious note again, this does raise other questions. Someone brought up the possibility that while it's 616, we may be seeing a prequel world. So expanding on that thought with Monet, In one of Moira's past lives, Monet & Penance were 1 entity, but upon a reset, they ended up as separate beings whom may merge back together when we come back to the life we've been on all these years. A possibility.
    end of spoilers

LOL, your avatar spoils what we are talking about so no point in spoiler tagging your post

Yeah would've made more sense if spoilers:
    Monet's mind shutdown in her Penance form, including the loss of verbal communication. Kind of a mindless, indestructible beast mode.
    end of spoilers

Extraordinary Member Silver Fang's Avatar

Ah well. Had to take the chance of getting it before it was taken. Decided on the avatar change after making the post. Then again, may go back to the old one, and use the current for my profile pic.

Edit: In fact, done. Sig pic is more unique imo. Other pic works great for profile though.

Quote Originally Posted by Spinster Sinister View Post
    Yeah would've made more sense if spoilers:
    Monet's mind shutdown in her Penance form, including the loss of verbal communication. Kind of a mindless, indestructible beast mode.
    end of spoilers
    But if she's a mindless, how would she know to revert?

I think what we saw was fine as is. I didn't think it was redundant. Just confusing. lol
    Last edited by Silver Fang; 09-04-2019 at 02:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Fang View Post
    Ah well. Had to take the chance of getting it before it was taken. Decided on the avatar change after making the post.

But if she's a mindless beast without reason, why would she know to revert?
    Oh no I don't think that's the reality. I think that would've made the trade-off a bit more even.

I am happy with the development, It might lead to some generic use over time but overall I think gives her some flexibility. I think someone called her "invulnerable wolverine" well using her like that means that in some scenarios now a writer goes do I use Wolverine or Monet. Wolverine is going to get the call in a lot those scenarios but Monet now has chances to fill in that role which just increase her chance to be used. I think even if they tie her super-strength, invulnerability and some physical traits to the alt form it would kinda be okay. Just from an archetype standpoint alone and think has improved from a branding standpoint as well, If the story side is good I think her popularity is going to go up by alot.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Fang View Post
    Since the issue has been out for many hours, are spoiler tags still needed at this point?

I'll use them just in case, but be nice when we don't have to worry.

spoilers:
    This new reveal is interesting & raises many questions. If it's present day, I would really like a good writer to cover this story.

• How does she feel being in a form that was the start of her brother's abuse?
    • How'd she come to terms with the form enough to willingly take it?
    • She once mocked Marius for turning into a freak for power's sake, but her Penance form is equally monstrous-looking, how does she feel about that? Does it make her uncomfortable knowing she can take a form into such a feral-looking creature?
    • How did she find out she could do this? Was it an accident, did she do more exploration with her powers?

I think this is a nice change. it doesn't feel redundant at all, and unlike Emma's diamond form, something like this make sense rather than a writer giving a character a random unrelated power because they needed a tank & Colossus was unavailable. The Penance form compared to the diamond form is an insult to the former. lol

On a serious note again, this does raise other questions. Someone brought up the possibility that while it's 616, we may be seeing a prequel world. So expanding on that thought with Monet, In one of Moira's past lives, Monet & Penance were 1 entity, but upon a reset, they ended up as separate beings whom may merge back together when we come back to the life we've been on all these years. A possibility.
    end of spoilers
    I like both Monet and Emma a lot, but Emma's diamond form never seemed out of place to me because she isnt even the first mutant telepath with diamond skin, that is Jack o Diamond from the Stan Lee run, who probably inspired Morrison (he was the criminal who adopted Cyclops when he escaped from the orphanage, he fought with Charles for Cyclops) I always thought Emma and Jack (who is dead) should be retconned as relatives, either family or because of genetic experiments.

I dont have a problem with Monet being able to switch into a Penance form. I would explain it as, she has always been able to do it since she left the Penance form in Gen X (and the Monet we had back then was revealed as being her sisters fused dragon ball style), but didnt do it because it gave her bad memories, or because of vanity, she prefers to be beautiful. But now she feels more comfortable with that because she grew up as a person, or because it was a life death situation.

Repost thoughts on Monet's recent HoX appearance:
    HoX #4 SPOILERS BELOW HoX #4 SPOILERS BELOW
    Only thing that's different with the Penance powerset is appearances
    , and the razor sharp claws. As a fan of Monet since the jump this is worrisome. For these reasons: 1. Doesn't seem to add to her battle effectiveness...M's already invulnerable unless it makes her indestructible ( we see in HOX4 it does not) What's the point of the transformation? Does her Razor sharp claws make her significantly more deadly than her super strong punches?
    2. Shes basically Paige but with 1 husk form
    3. She becomes yet another black Mutant who's "battle body" erases her race. Outta the 10 or 11 black X-Men over half changes into raceless "Battle body" this doesn't erase her race but does potentially limit its visibility. How many times has Bobby Dacosta been in an issue in Sunspot mode vs. NOT powered up? Maggot?
    4. Part of the appeal (to me at least) was M was a hot chick who could kick your ass while retaining her hotness breaking the trope that chicks have to lose their female visibility/looks in order to keep up with the guys
    5. its just going to MUCK up her already MUCKed up history... not only hers but the M-Twins, and the Penance shell..Unless Hickman's gonna do Right by her and explain why change. WHY EFFIN DO IT?
    6. M transforming in the body that her brother trapped her in, abused her in for years in order to gain Razor sharp claws seeeeeems a liiiil problematic
    GrindrStone(D)

Quote Originally Posted by BroHomo View Post
    Repost thoughts on Monet's recent HoX appearance:
    HoX #4 SPOILERS BELOW HoX #4 SPOILERS BELOW
    I agree with all this. I honestly don't see the reason for the change. Sure, it was a cool scene, but it doesn't add much to the character if you think about it. She already had a very flexible powerset. Now she has even more powers and a potentially more confusing backstory? How are they going to explain Hollow? Seems like we'll have a reverse Betsy/Kwannon situation.
    Now the change is made, I just hope she won't get an "Archangel" sort of character arc, with Penance being her dark persona. God, that would be boring and repetitive.

1. Yes the claws are more devastating.

2. I guess but Paige has far more versatility

3. I really dont see the race issues here. Monet is still black. I think it would be more problematic if Penance was her default form but its not. She also doesnt need it to go into battle so she wont always use it. The only thing different it adds so far is the claws and those are more destructive than her fists

4. She is still all of that. I doubt this change was done so she can keep up with the men.

5. As far as convoluting things, I also disagree. The Penance shell and M-twins are never used and largely irrelevant.

6. I guess but there may be a reason for this beyond her control