Page 2 of 25 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member Silver Fang's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MichelleDiMera View Post
    I mean..isnt to time to push Monet really hard again? I mean...a 12 issue Maxi series or something. They are finally treating Domino right but Monet is in and out too much...its went on for too long and it needs to be corrected.
    I really think the movie is what has elevated Domino. She was gonna be in Deadpool, so having her in Weapon X may have been Marvel's way of giving her some spotlight, Same reason Gail got to do her solo. Otherwise, she was in & out at random like Monet prior to DP II.

The movies are usually good for elevating characters, IF their character is popular on-screen. And sadly, Domino has turned into a doofus in her success, like Deadpool did. Soon, just like DP,she's gonna be known for being a comedy relief character.

Quote Originally Posted by comeatmebro View Post
    is it a coincidence Monet and Husk didn't show up on the next splash and aren't in any Age of X-Man solicitations
    We don't know. All we got is Jordan D. White saying there MAY be plans for Monet. Far as Uncanny 9 goes, Frenzy wasn't on there either I don't think. It may depend on where everyone is coming from. Some were shown getting Jean's message & on their way. Others seemed more preoccupied, like Frenzy working on her, or a, car. Monet seemed like she was already in a fight elsewhere.

Another thing..is she gonna be dark skinned this year or back to looking like a mixed looking light brown? Lol. They always switching...
    Before this splash page, she was white last we saw her.
    Attachment 76644
    So she's gonna go back to flip-flopping around. She did it constantly in Weapon X where she was either light brown or fair-skinned.
    Last edited by Silver Fang; 01-10-2019 at 05:55 PM.

deleted, merged post
    Last edited by Silver Fang; 01-10-2019 at 05:55 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Fang View Post
    I really think the movie is what has elevated Domino. She was gonna be in Deadpool, so having her in Weapon X may have been Marvel's way of giving her some spotlight, Same reason Gail got to do her solo. Otherwise, she was in & out at random like Monet prior to DP II.

The movies are usually good for elevating characters, IF their character is popular on-screen. And sadly, Domino has turned into a doofus in her success, like Deadpool did. Soon, just like DP,she's gonna be known for being a comedy relief character.

We don't know. All we got is Jordan D. White saying there MAY be plans for Monet. Far as Uncanny 9 goes, Frenzy wasn't on there either I don't think. It may depend on where everyone is coming from. Some were shown getting Jean's message & on their way. Others seemed more preoccupied, like Frenzy working on her, or a, car. Monet seemed like she was already in a fight elsewhere.

Before this splash page, she was white last we saw her.
    Attachment 76644
    So she's gonna go back to flip-flopping around. She did it constantly in Weapon X where she was either light brown or fair-skinned.
    Wow...lol...they got her looking like shes Dominican...yikes. That's quite the 180.

Wow...lol...they got her looking like shes Dominican...yikes. That's quite the 180.
    She's just gonna go back & forth depending on whoever has her character. Especially due to everyone having different ideas on what she is, or should be based on her roots. You can check her last Appreciation thread to see how often her race was argued.

The bit we see of her in Mojo's one-shot, she was really dark. Her pic is in the red outline.
    Attachment 76645

Then here's a Weapon X page where she's light brown like the Uncanny splash page.
    Attachment 76647

Just kinda have to make peace with her flip-flopping, and enjoy it whenever she's depicted in a way you find appropriate. lol
    Last edited by Silver Fang; 01-10-2019 at 06:27 PM.

Sad she has to go through this buuuut...
    For the people who use Monets Algerian background as a way to erase her blackness

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x70q07i

Hater's gonna have to work extra hard now lol....
    Last edited by BroHomo; 01-15-2019 at 09:04 PM.

No Monet thread is complete without this debate. So I figured I would share some homework I did. I was in-between jobs, so I had the free time. lol

And for this thread, it'll be my only posts on the race topic. When the topic comes up again later, I will respond by linking this thread page that show my opinions on it. But once & for all, posts 21-23 are how I feel on the topic.

I did a collage of ALL her designs in GenX - her Black vs. Non-Black (or Ambiguous) appearances. When I say "black", I mean where she's either dark or has features that are typically associated with racially black women. So black is regarding her features or coloring -one or the other, sometimes both.

Let me do the Ambiguous collage first. It's more simple.

These are all the suspect designs M had in GenX where she could be seen as numerous things. I think she still looks black in 2 of these, but it is questionable, and I wanted to be fair.
    Last edited by Silver Fang; 01-22-2019 at 10:53 AM.

These are ALL of her black (as in complexion or features) designs

Last edited by Silver Fang; 01-17-2019 at 01:48 AM.

So for me personally, I do see her as a black character. or mixed-black character like Sunspot. She was often depicted dark and / or having features that are associated with racially black people when she first started out as a character in the 90's and early 2000's. And her appearance was pretty consistent then, with some occasional flubs / exceptions.

So far as explaining the POV for myself, that's what I go on & why I do say she was white-washed in X-Factor. Her character started one more consistent way, for the most part, despite having some odd cases here & there. Given the majority of depiction, that's where I get her as black. So for her to go the opposite route into becoming a fair-skinned woman, I consider inaccurate whitewashing. Not inaccurate as in Algerians or North Africans can't have fair skin. But inaccurate in terms of her specific character and how she was introduced & maintained throughout most of her existence during her launching as a character. So I think she needs to always be brown. I am flexible on what kind. I don't care if she's light or dark brown. But stop making her Caucasian in color.

It's like this with characterization too. If I read a character who started off one way, more consistently, then they get turned into something else, I consider it inaccurate. 2 major examples.

Deadpool went from a tragic & serious character in the 90's to a meme-machine joke. I will always say his character has been ruined because it's a needless deviation from what he started as. Like Monet's light-skinned moments in the 90's, Deadpool had his moments of 4th-wall breaking or comedy. But again, they were moments, not the be all & end all of his character like they've become. Despite some of those occasional moments, DP was more consistently a darker character. No pun intended lol
    Sabretooth had his low points in the past where he jobbed a bit, but they used to be occasional moments & he wasn't taken down without effort. He took down a team of X-Men and emotionally / mentally scarred a good few other people. This was a man who broke Xavier. He played mind-games and was treated as cunning. Again, he had his reckless cases or arrogant cases where he underestimated someone, but he was a threat. Compared to the 180 in 2003 where he was not only depicted as stupid, he was a pushover in combat and that's become a stable part of his character now with writers & editors ignoring the fact he's supposed to be intelligent & dangerous. So instead we have moronic jobbertooth of 13 years. And I will forever call that an inaccurate depiction from how he started.

Both these characters are favorites, and they have both been utterly misused, misinterpreted, and ruined over the last decade.
    Last edited by Silver Fang; 01-22-2019 at 10:55 AM.

If there’s a more than one positive to this week’s Uncanny, it was Monet:

Lol It took me a few seconds, but I found her. Though not the best artwork for her, and still DAMN to that X-Factor suit!!!.

I wonder if she will appear in AoA. So far, there's a few character unaccounted for there, such as Frenzy & Monet. But instead, we got a new character mysteriously named Moneta, who even more suspiciously is French-Canadian. lol
    Last edited by Silver Fang; 01-16-2019 at 11:51 AM.

BANNED

great stuff @ Silverfang, do you happen to have one with her different clothes she wore during that time? She's always had nice styles

Is every artist just contractually obligated to draw Monet with ridiculously deep cleavage in that costume?

Quote Originally Posted by comeatmebro View Post
    great stuff @ Silverfang, do you happen to have one with her different clothes she wore during that time? She's always had nice styles
    It's a bit more tricky. I have thought about making some with her clothes, casual & her different costumes. But it would take a while to get done, since she has gone through tones of wardrobe. She had nice looks in GenX. Not so much after that, imo.

Quote Originally Posted by Beetle View Post
    Is every artist just contractually obligated to draw Monet with ridiculously deep cleavage in that costume?
    Well the artists are most likely men. So while not obligated, they probably just like it. lol

I wish she'd lose that outfit...no pun intended. lol I would like to see her in something more unique & fashionable. She had some nice costumes in GenX, but sadly they were uniform & all her teammates had variations of the same thing. So sadly no uniqueness to it.
    Last edited by Silver Fang; 01-16-2019 at 01:49 PM.

Monet's spotlight on UncannyXMen.net has been updated:

Spotlight On...Monet

Quote Originally Posted by Spinster Sinister View Post
    Monet's spotlight on UncannyXMen.net has been updated:

Spotlight On...Monet
    Thank goodness it was finally updated. It started to get depressing how far behind it was. lol

Also, I finally got around to doing the collection of Monet's wardrobe from GenX.

I am only counting real Monet, not the M-Twins since they weren't really her. So, when M isn't superhero-ing, she tended to have a very dress-casual style, with some exceptions.

Last edited by Silver Fang; 02-23-2019 at 04:03 PM.