Page 71 of 75 FirstFirst ... 2161676869707172737475 LastLast
Results 1,051 to 1,065 of 1120
    Citizen of Atlantis ImperiusWrecked's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    Yeah, with Doom having his own series I'm not too worried about that. Just have to wait to see how they explain it away. I don't know of any Doombots that are programmed to eat human food. My favorite line in the book is where Conan gives props for Doom being "a magician with the heart of a warrior."...a spot on description! And Conan hates wizards and sorcerers.

Conan the Barbarian had a great run when Roy Thomas was writer and a terrific newcomer by the name of Barry Windsor Smith was doing the art. It's too bad Marvel doesn't have any of those on Marvel Unlimited. I also remember reading a REH Conan paperback or two since my oldest brother had bought those. They had those great Frank Frazetta covers. The Sword and Sorcery genre in comics faded away over the years but I believe there still are a lot of games in the genre
    I will definitely try to look into the Roy Thomas run when I can since Thomas is one of my fave writers, especially with the Invaders. However for now I'll be focused on the Serpet Crown book that's going on since the Crown ties into Namor stuff and I'm hoping for more about it's connection to Atlantis.

Thanks for those previews! I know I will be getting this because Zdarsky is writing it.
    "No one should ever question where my allegiance lies." - Namor of Atlantis

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Yes, I think this might be just about the only worthwhile comic in this event.

What is really strange is that now that we have Conan back at Marvel, there must be some hold up in getting the comics into Marvel Unlimited. There are very few loaded there and none of the Roy Thomas/Barry Windsor Smith run. Maybe they are just behind in loading up stuff

BANNED

Here's where we stand with the sales of Doctor Doom so far:

23 Doctor Doom #1 - 59,927
    41 Doctor Doom #2 - 38,784

A loss of 21k readers is substantial but I think there's still enough left to keep this book viable. We'll just have to see if things stabilise with #3 or if they continue to drop. Once Doctor Doom finds its level we can say more about the long-term prospects of the book.

Quote Originally Posted by Kintor View Post

A loss of 21k readers is substantial but I think there's still enough left to keep this book viable. We'll just have to see if things stabilise with #3 or if they continue to drop. Once Doctor Doom finds its level we can say more about the long-term prospects of the book.
    I think the first issue is always hard to use as a yardstick. We have to remember that this represents order by the vendors and there were variant covers. Being in the top 50 is good but now we have to see what happens with issue #3 and onward. Infamous Iron Man leveled off at about 25,000 a month and that is usually a safe number.

Here's a bit of Chip Zdarsky's interview on SyFyWire where he talks about writing Doom 2099. Link to full interview

"I was about fifteen, sixteen, when the original line came out. I fell in love with Spider-Man 2099 and Doom 2099 right out of the gate," Zdarsky said. "The really interesting thing about the 2099 line, both original and today, is that the mandate is to create new characters that have the same classic hero name instead of just putting the characters we know into the future. The one exception in the original line was Doom, though you weren't sure at first."

When pitching Doom 2099, Zdarsky said he wanted to stay true to those roots. In the original series, Victor, along with the readers, remained unsure if he was the one true Doom until issue #25. More recently, in the 2099 Alpha one-shot, we see that Doom has been very busy. Ever wary of usurpers, he can be seen tapping into the universal power of the Watchers to monitor any threats.

A fan of Victor Von Doom from John Byrne's Fantastic Four run and, more recently, Jonathan Hickman's Secret Wars, Zdarsky said he's been looking forward to returning to the character after writing him in Marvel Two-In-One in 2015.

BANNED

Thanks for the link Iron Maiden. It's good that Chip Zdarsky has apparently read the original Doom 2099. I always loved his work on Marvel 2-in-1, I think he really did justice to Doom as character and the concept of him being the 'Infamous Iron Man' while still remaining recognisable as Doctor Doom. So I really want to like Doom 2099 #1, I just hope that the final product is better the preview pages we've been shown so far.

I still can't put my finger on exactly why I don't like those preview pages. Maybe it has nothing at all do with Zdarsky? I just find those pages dull, visually dull if nothing else and since comics are a visual medium that can detract from the story as a whole. Cyberpunk has always been visually stunning. Yes, dystopian and sometimes post-apocalyptic but always running on information overload. Even the muted tones of Blade Runner 2049 managed to remain visually interesting with the sheer amount of detail always on screen.

Doom got overshipped, #2's dollar rankings indicate it sold more like 25k. I think the idea is to get two trades done while he's not in Fantastic Four since there are apparently mandates set for how he and Victorious are used in other books so they don't affect plans.
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Thanks for the link Iron Maiden. It's good that Chip Zdarsky has apparently read the original Doom 2099. I always loved his work on Marvel 2-in-1, I think he really did justice to Doom as character and the concept of him being the 'Infamous Iron Man' while still remaining recognisable as Doctor Doom. So I really want to like Doom 2099 #1, I just hope that the final product is better the preview pages we've been shown so far.

I still can't put my finger on exactly why I don't like those preview pages. Maybe it has nothing at all do with Zdarsky? I just find those pages dull, visually dull if nothing else and since comics are a visual medium that can detract from the story as a whole. Cyberpunk has always been visually stunning. Yes, dystopian and sometimes post-apocalyptic but always running on information overload. Even the muted tones of Blade Runner 2049 managed to remain visually interesting with the sheer amount of detail always on screen.
    I know what you mean about the art. Not only is the scene sparse (well, it is a desert) but the colors are dull and almost monotone. Plus it looks like Victor put his head in a sack full of angry cats. The dialogue did catch my interest, particulary that part about his amnesia. That was part of Doom's problem when he arrived suddenly in the year 2099....he only had partial memories of his past. I guess tomorrow we will find out. Since this is a one shot I guess everything will either wrap up here or probably 2099 Omega.

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post
    Doom got overshipped, #2's dollar rankings indicate it sold more like 25k. I think the idea is to get two trades done while he's not in Fantastic Four since there are apparently mandates set for how he and Victorious are used in other books so they don't affect plans.
    Yes, #1 and #2 got a double shipped. I was never sure why....did comic book shops actually reorder? One would think that would be the only reason for that but that's hard to say these days. And they never tell what the digital sales are.

Marvel just released the variant cover for issue #4 and it's a beauty. This is an homage done by Will Sliney to the Jim Krueger/Alex Ross Earth X series. It's not Doom but Reed had taken up residence in Doom's castle and began to wear his armor, mostly out of guilt when he wasn't able to prevent Sue and Johnny's death in a final battle with Doom. Once again, Doom ended up in Hell in that series but later became an angel as part of the trilogy that included Earth X/Paradise X/Universe X. I will have to go back and read those one day

Here is a cover from Earth X #2, which tells the story about that final battle and why Reed has taken on Doom's armor

BANNED

Alright then, here we go Doom 2099 #1. I thought it best to break my thoughts into non-spoiler and spoiler parts.

Spoiler free:
    In the end this is a well written story and a good twist on the ideas from the original Doom 2099. Actually, I think this might be a great story but I need more time to reflect on that to say for certain. With that said, the book could stand to use a lot more colour. Everything is just brown and gunmetal grey. Although, what little colour does appear is used to excellent effect, highlighting key panels and moments in the plot.

Spoilers:
    spoilers:
    The twist as to the true identity of Doom is rather complicated. Especially since we meet both the protagonist Doom and the other Doom who is already ruling over the 2099 universe. Based on what is shown I'm inclined to think that both are Doom and yet not Doom at the same time. Like a merging of both personalities with Doom's influence proving to be the dominant part. Plus, I assume that the accident which caused all this is also responsible for the electromagnetic interference which keeps the Thorites low tech.
    end of spoilers

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    Marvel just released the variant cover for issue #4 and it's a beauty. This is an homage done by Will Sliney to the Jim Krueger/Alex Ross Earth X series. It's not Doom but Reed had taken up residence in Doom's castle and began to wear his armor, mostly out of guilt when he wasn't able to prevent Sue and Johnny's death in a final battle with Doom. Once again, Doom ended up in Hell in that series but later became an angel as part of the trilogy that included Earth X/Paradise X/Universe X. I will have to go back and read those one day
    It's a real big spoiler for Zdarsky's Doom 2099#1.

Where the Diwatas and the Triumph Division live

Sidebar: Since Morgan and Doom have a history, and she's being portrayed by Elizabeth Hurley in future episodes of Hulu's Runaways, even if I doubt the MCU will link the two I'd want Doom's actor to be able to match Hurley in depicting their characters' personalities.

Human Torch/Fantastic Four/She-Hulk/Disney Big Hero 6 /Tangled/G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero/Transformers G1 fanatic, Avatar-maker, and Marvel Moderator
    "一人じゃないから。" AI、『Story』。
    "ヒロ、お前を信じてる。" タダシ、『ベイマックス』。
    "You were my my new dream." "And you were mine." Eugene Fitzherbert and Rapunzel.
    "Knowing is half the battle."
    G.I. Joe.
    Know the CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

iMan 42s

Doom 2099 is frustrating the more I think about it. It's gonna be a bit before I can properly summarize it but it is competently written. The major issue is that it's twist is built on shaky ground in a reboot that didn't need to occur on the premise that will never happen in continuity. And despite the title and cover it's not even about Doom 2099 so why did they even bother? Also why was Doom even hallucinating Reed?

B-
    - Not about title/cover character
    - Art spoiled the twist for me
    - Feels too short given the information it puts forward
    - You could've dropped the Ravage section and just presented Victor as is with more on his backstory
    -----------------------------------
    For anyone that needs to know why OMD is awful please search the internet for Linkara' s video's specifically his One more day review or his One more day Analysis.

I confess I am confused but maybe that is because I was expecting something about Doom 2099 and as you say, it's not. Let me just add this and I don't think it is too spoilery.....at one point, a spell is invoked that was used back in Simonson's Fantastic Four.

So at first that made me think this story was about Kristoff being "cured" by Doom again, that is until I got to that last page. So was the spell used to make spoilers:
    Reed realize he was not Doom ???
    end of spoilers