Page 27 of 75 FirstFirst ... 1723242526272829303137 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    Me too! I also like that he brought back the holster for a gun. But it's a mystery what he's carrying these days....just a common sidearm or some more high tech.

I guess we can just say that Doom likes variety. I think Ultimate Doom may have had that look but I'd have to check. IMO they really never handled Doom that well in the Ultimate Universe. Sometimes he had goat legs, sometimes he didn't. It was just a hot mess most of the time. He did survive that last incursion but pretty much disappeared after Spider-Man fought him.
    I don't remember where I read that he reserves the side arm for those enemies who aren't worth of getting a shot for one of the power beams of his suit.

And yes Doom should have some variety on him, I mean he is royalty after all, he can afford it. About the Ultimate universe was very sad, the Universe started all promising and interesting but after Ultimatum all the character developments and histories gets all messed up and wasted. Nowadays there are very few thing worth of rescue in that universe and certainly that Doom is not one of those having a much more interesting one in 616.

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Coatl View Post
    I don't remember where I read that he reserves the side arm for those enemies who aren't worth of getting a shot for one of the power beams of his suit.

And yes Doom should have some variety on him, I mean he is royalty after all, he can afford it. About the Ultimate universe was very sad, the Universe started all promising and interesting but after Ultimatum all the character developments and histories gets all messed up and wasted. Nowadays there are very few thing worth of rescue in that universe and certainly that Doom is not one of those having a much more interesting one in 616.
    First of all, I think the writers gave him the name of "Van Damme" as a joke esp since the family home was changed to Brussels instead of Latveria IIRC. I think you may be right about his carrying a sidearm being for less important "tasks". My guess was that he used it for shooting at the rats around the castle for the times when it had fallen under disrepair.

Victor Van Damme could have been handled better. I was looking forward to the issues written by Warren Ellis since I really though his Doom 2099 issues were excellent. But they turned out to be a disappointment to me particularly the part about him having an wealthy, abusive father that would have him recite the family ancestors going back to the middle ages. Then he would get struck across the face if he got them wrong.

BANNED

I am reading, and enjoying to bits, Hickman's run on Avengers and in preparation for Secret Wars 2015, I went and read the original...and man it's amazing. I heard stuff that this comic was gimmicky and so on but it's overwhelming and full of stuff.

And many Jim Shooter wrote the hell out of Dr. Doom there. He's totally the protagonist of Secret Wars, Marvel's first crisis crossover and its biggest commercial success in its time.

iMan 42s

The pistol is kind of weird to me, I kind of get it on the grounds that Victor doesn't always have his armor but why he'd carry it with him considering his armor is undoubtedly more powerful and is quite the advanced sorcerer is kind of beyond me. It could be an advanced weapon, but then why would he not just have it in his armor to begin with?

Maybe it's like the swords at major ceremonies with the pistol acting in that capacity. Not really useful, probably not loaded, just meant to look good.

That being said, Marvel Heroes treated it like an advanced weapon with it doing heavy damage.
    -----------------------------------
    For anyone that needs to know why OMD is awful please search the internet for Linkara' s video's specifically his One more day review or his One more day Analysis.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperiorIronman View Post
    The pistol is kind of weird to me, I kind of get it on the grounds that Victor doesn't always have his armor but why he'd carry it with him considering his armor is undoubtedly more powerful and is quite the advanced sorcerer is kind of beyond me. It could be an advanced weapon, but then why would he not just have it in his armor to begin with?

Maybe it's like the swords at major ceremonies with the pistol acting in that capacity. Not really useful, probably not loaded, just meant to look good.

That being said, Marvel Heroes treated it like an advanced weapon with it doing heavy damage.
    When they had those Marvel Handbooks that included some schematics of Doom's armor, it was listed as a 9mm Broom Handle Mauser. I guess it depends on the occasion. The one that Kirby drew (and according to Joe Sinnott about took 2 hours to ink ) looked more high tech to me. Offhand, I can't remember the last time Doom used a pistol or gun of any kind. But I imagine it can be used to take care of something that is little more than a nuisance and perhaps keep them from getting close. Don't know what the range would be on this though.

Last edited by Iron Maiden; 04-09-2019 at 10:27 AM.

That's why I love this thread so much. Interesting discussions about such small detail as Doom's gun - both significant and.. insignificant but nevertheless in a way thought provoking.
    And such great info as the two hours needed to ink that gun. Which means real talk about what the medium and its history are truly about.

Thanks for that everybody - and especially Iron Maiden: you with your wonderful knowledge...
    - To Tammy and the Blue Rose !

Quote Originally Posted by Abe View Post
    That's why I love this thread so much. Interesting discussions about such small detail as Doom's gun - both significant and.. insignificant but nevertheless in a way thought provoking.
    And such great info as the two hours needed to ink that gun. Which means real talk about what the medium and its history are truly about.

Thanks for that everybody - and especially Iron Maiden: you with your wonderful knowledge...
    You're too kind, Abe. And I recommend the Jack Kirby Collector quarterly magazine from TwoMorrows for some of those little stories. They also sell PDF versions for as little as 2 or 3 dollars. But I have a small collection of the magazines when they deal with the Fantastic Four.

Amazing Member

So just started to get in Doom. Was wondering if there is a currently on going Doom series?

Also what is some of the essential Doom reading?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Valcrist View Post
    So just started to get in Doom. Was wondering if there is a currently on going Doom series?

Also what is some of the essential Doom reading?
    Unfortunately there is currently no ongoing Doom book, it's actually very rare for Doom to take centre stage as a protagonist. The two main Doom ongoings were Doom 2099 in the early/mid-90s and Infamous Iron Man in 2016-2017. Both are good books although Doom 2099 has been out of print for some time and may be tricky to collect.

In terms of other iconic Doom stories there are a couple you should go for first. Start with Books of Doom by Ed Brubaker, it's the definitive retelling of Doom origin story. Then go for Triumph & Torment, it's a graphic novel where Doom teams up with Doctor Strange to rescue his mother's soul from hell, it's a dark epic unlike anything else Marvel has published and Doom really steals the show.

San Diego, CA and Den of Madness, Castle Doom, Latveria

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    When they had those Marvel Handbooks that included some schematics of Doom's armor, it was listed as a 9mm Broom Handle Mauser. I guess it depends on the occasion. The one that Kirby drew (and according to Joe Sinnott about took 2 hours to ink ) looked more high tech to me. Offhand, I can't remember the last time Doom used a pistol or gun of any kind. But I imagine it can be used to take care of something that is little more than a nuisance and perhaps keep them from getting close. Don't know what the range would be on this though.
    John Byrne, who was at least at the time a gun enthusiast/collector, was the one who decided Doom's gun should be a 9 mm Broom-handle Mauser. A bit of an historic weapon, not as German/Nazi as the Luger, but definitely still German so right for the general area, but more WWII than modern times. Byrne drew it in the Official Handbook to the Marvel Universe that way. Kirby's was obviously something different and more sci-fi -ish, but not to say that Doom couldn't have modified his pistol to shoot more than bullets. 9 mm Broomhandle Mauser.jpg

Dooms Armor2001.jpg

I always liked the idea of him having this weapon on his hip, it's nostalgic like the ceremonial sword, but still useful in the modern world. I imagined it was something that was handed down to him by his father, or grandfather, and that's why he held onto it, partly for sentimental reasons. It's another little detail that makes Doom more human, and more mysterious. His motives as always are his own.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "Because ... I am Doom
    ... What Gods dare stand against me?"

Posting from the dungeon of Castle Doom, Latveria

Quote Originally Posted by SuperiorIronman View Post

Although he has used it in the past, it's definitely a more ceremonial item. Something akin to seeing a full dress uniformed general with side arm and sabre.

Quote Originally Posted by Kintor View Post
    Unfortunately there is currently no ongoing Doom book, it's actually very rare for Doom to take centre stage as a protagonist. The two main Doom ongoings were Doom 2099 in the early/mid-90s and Infamous Iron Man in 2016-2017. Both are good books although Doom 2099 has been out of print for some time and may be tricky to collect.

In terms of other iconic Doom stories there are a couple you should go for first. Start with Books of Doom by Ed Brubaker, it's the definitive retelling of Doom origin story. Then go for Triumph & Torment, it's a graphic novel where Doom teams up with Doctor Strange to rescue his mother's soul from hell, it's a dark epic unlike anything else Marvel has published and Doom really steals the show.
    Good choices! I also liked the TPB Villains United, which was essentially all of the old Super-Villain Team Up series. The good thing about the new edition of Triumph and Torment is that it also includes Astonishing Tales #8 "Though Some Call it Magic" the story that gave Roger Stern the inspiration for the GN Triumph and Torment

Plus, if Valcrist would click on page one of this thread, Reviresco copied over the suggested reading list from the closed threads

Where the Diwatas and the Triumph Division live

Tom Brevoort all cringy after this happened to an Aaron Kuder Doom art:

https://twitter.com/TomBrevoort/stat...66823676555264
    The fucking local postal service left this package sitting in a puddle outside my home, turning this beautiful @AaronKuder page into waterlogged garbage. Thanks again Middletown post office.
    Human Torch/Fantastic Four/She-Hulk/Disney Big Hero 6 /Tangled/G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero/Transformers G1 fanatic, Avatar-maker, and Marvel Moderator
    "一人じゃないから。" AI、『Story』。
    "ヒロ、お前を信じてる。" タダシ、『ベイマックス』。
    "You were my my new dream." "And you were mine." Eugene Fitzherbert and Rapunzel.
    "Knowing is half the battle."
    G.I. Joe.
    Know the CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

This upsets me at an astronomical level.
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

That's a shame! I got to see some of his Fantastic Four pages at Aaron Kuder's section in Artist's Alley in C2E2. Beautiful to see in person but a bit rich for my purse at about $600-$800 a page. But would have loved to have one of his pages with both Galactus and Doom

I hope some of those suggestions Tom B received works. But I hope that the next time someone mails him art, there is an extra packing material to seal it. Might be hard to find one in that size but an extra plastic sleeve of some kind that can be sealed should keep out any water.