Page 1 of 75 123451151 ... LastLast
    Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar

Default Victor Von Doom: Doctor Doom Appreciation 2019

All Hail Doom!

Something more MAJESTIC to follow!

Link to previous threads:
    https://community.cbr.com/showthread...m-Appreciation
    https://community.cbr.com/showthread...reciation-2018
    Last edited by Reviresco; 01-01-2019 at 02:35 PM.
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

COLLECTED EDITIONS:

Private War of Doctor Doom
    Overthrow of Doctor Doom
    Emperor Doom
    Essentials Super-Villain Team-Up
    Doctor Strange & Doctor Doom: Triumph and Torment
    Doom (by Chuck Dixon)
    Books of Doom
    Doomwar
    Doom 2099
    Marvel Masterworks Astonishing Tales

Marvel Double Shots #2 - "Masks" by Christopher Priest

DOCTOR DOOM READING LIST BY DOOMSCRIBE

Fantastic Four - Annual 2 1964 Stan Lee/ Jack Kirby “Origin of Doctor Doom”; & “The Final Victory of Dr. Doom!” (2 new stories) Origin story. Then rescued from space (issue 23) by Rama Tut; Dr Doom uses berry juice to turn FF against each other; but defeated by Reed at the Encephalo-gun. **

Marvel Superheroes 20 May, 1969 Roy Thomas/ Larry Lieber “This Man . . . This Demon!” Diablo. Retells Doom’s origin and the story of Valeria, as Diablo seeks a partnership to rule using Doom’s time platform, currently under armed guard at his replica castle in the USA. **

Fantastic Four 86 May, 1969 Stan Lee/ Jack Kirby “The Victims!” The FF & villagers defeat Omnipurpose robots; Doom destroys the village but Sue’s shield saves them. **
    Fantastic Four 87 June, 1969 Stan Lee/ Jack Kirby “The Power and the Pride!” The FF storm the castle; Doom uses hypersound against Hauptmann to prevent destruction of valuable art. **

Astonishing Tales 1 Aug., 1970 Roy Thomas/ Wally Wood “Unto You is Born . . the Doomsman!” Prince Rudolfo. Doom creates an artificial being using cosmic power and his own brain patterns; Ramona who looks like Valeria, sets a trap. **
    Astonishing Tales 2 Oct., 1970 Roy Thomas/ Wally Wood “Revolution!“ The Faceless One. Former Crown Prince Rudolfo seeks to usurp the throne of Latveria, aided by the mysterious Faceless, while the android Doomsman runs amok, toppling all in it’s path. **
    Astonishing Tales 3 Dec., 1970 Larry Lieber/ Wally Wood “Doom Must Die!” Doom and Faceless struggle for control of Doomsman; an earthquake destroys Castle Doom & the hopes of the Rudolfo’s rebels. **
    Astonishing Tales 5 Apr., 1971 Larry Lieber/ George Tuska “A Land Enslaved!” Red Skull. Doom battles Skull, is caught by surprise and trapped in an adamantine mummy, but he defeats them & uses shrinking ray on his enemies. **
    Astonishing Tales 8 Oct., 1971 Gerry Conway/ Gene Colan “Though Some Call it Magic!” Mephisto. Doom embarks on a dangerous battle with demons on a midsummer’s eve for the soul of his lost mother. The first telling of this tragic tale. *******

Fantastic Four 116 Nov., 1971 Archie Goodwin/ John Buscema. “The Alien, The Ally and Armageddon!” The Watcher, and the Stranger. Reed is brainwashed by the alien Over-Mind (an Eternal), and Sue asks Doom to aid the rest of the FF in a desperate battle. *******

Sub-Mariner 47 (vol 1) Mar-72 “Doomsmasque”
    Sub-Mariner 48 (vol 1) Apr-72 “Twilight of the Hunted”
    Sub-Mariner 49 (vol 1) May-72 “The Dream Stone” Sort of a campy story when read now, but overall an interesting take on these two titanic monarchs of the Marvel Universe told over three issues. An amnesiac Namor is re-acquainted with Doctor Doom, and taken on a hunt for the Cosmic Cube! With Modok. And contains a remarkably restrained, honorable, and self-reflective portrayal of Victor Von Doom. ****

Marvel Team-Up 42 Feb., 1976 Bill Mantlo/ Sal Buscema “Visions of Hate!” Spidey has time traveled to the time of the Salem Witch Trials. The Vision is drawn into the conflict with the Dark Rider. Doom joins them to defend the past. **
    Marvel Team-Up 43 Mar., 1976 Bill Mantlo/ Sal Buscema “A Past Gone Mad!” The Dark Rider attempts to extract magical energies from Doom to increase his own power **
    Marvel Team-Up 44 Apr., 1976 Bill Mantlo/ Sal Buscema “Death in the Year Before Yesterday!” Moondragon. Doom is almost lost, but finally uses his magical might with the aid of the others to defeat the Dark Rider. **

Super-Villain Team-Up 10 Feb.,1977 Bill Mantlo/ Bob Hall “The Sign of the Skull!” Captain American storms the Latverian embassy while Shroud and Rudolfo invade castle Doom, now controlled by Red Skull, who shoots down Doom & Cap’s plane. *****
    Super-Villain Team-Up 11 Apr., 1977 Bill Mantlo/ Bob Hall “My Ally, My Enemy!” Red Skull plans to use the Hypno-Ray, Doom & Cap are shrunk, but make way to the castle where Namor and Shroud assist them against the Skull *****
    Super-Villain Team-Up 12 June, 1977 Bill Mantlo/ Bob Hall “Death-Duel!” Doom and Red Skull battle on the Moon *******

Fantastic Four 198 Sept., 1978 Marv Wolfman Keith Pollard “Invasion!” ***
    Fantastic Four 199 Oct., 1978 Marv Wolfman/ Keith Pollard “The Son of Doctor Doom!” ***
    Fantastic Four 200 Nov., 1978 Marv Wolfman/ Keith Pollard “When Titans Clash!” ***

Superman and Spider-man Marvel Treasury Edition #28 1981 ***

Iron Man 149 Aug., 1981 David Michelinie/ John Romita Jr “Doomquest” Iron Man and Dr Doom are sent to England of the past, to King Arthur’s court! ******
    Iron Man 150 Sept., 1981 David Michelinie/ John Romita Jr “Knightmare” Doom seeks to ally himself with Morgan LeFey, as Iron Man sides with King Arthur. But they must work together in order to return to their proper time. ******

Fantastic Four 236 Nov., 1981 John Byrne/ John Byrne “Terror in a Tiny Town!” ******
    Fantastic Four 246 Sept., 1982 John Byrne/ John Byrne “Too Many Dooms!” *******
    Fantastic Four 247 Oct., 1982 John Byrne/ John Byrne “This Land is Mine!” *******
    Fantastic Four 258 Sept. 1983 John Byrne/ John Byrne “Interlude” *******
    Fantastic Four 259 Oct. 1983 John Byrne/ John Byrne “Choices” ****

Secret Wars 1 – 12 (Limited Series) May 1984. Heroes and Villains are transported to Battleworld by the all powerful Beyonder, in order to battle to see who is the most powerful. Doom ostensibly leads the villains, all while plotting to take the power of Galactus, and then the Beyonder himself. ***

Emperor Doom (Graphic Novel) Jun-87 Dr Doom has harnessed the power of the Purple Man, and has declared himself Emperor of the Earth, instilling peace and prosperity throughout the world. But one Avenger must decide whether to take the power away from him, and risk returning the world to one of strife and conflict. Stars the Avengers. *******
    Triumph and Torment (Graphic Novel) 1989 Roger Stern/Mike Mignola/Mark Badger. Doctor Doom and Doctor Strange battle Mephisto in order to free the soul of Doom’s mother from his infernal realm. Includes a synopsis origin story for each of the good doctors. ********

Amazing Spider-Man 349 July, 1991 “Man Of Steal!”
    Amazing Spider-Man 350 Aug, 1991 “Doom Service!” Remarkable appearance for Doom’s ultimate restraint, and also for quite thoroughly kicking Peter’s butt. ****

Doom 2099 1 – 40 January 1993 Sometimes brilliant, ended too soon. Issues after #40 are best left unread. ******

Heroes Reborn: DOOM one shot, January 2000 “Doom!” ******
    Heroes Reborn: Ashema one shot, January 2000 “Ashema” ****
    Heroes Reborn: Doomsday one shot, January 2000 “A World Untamed” ******

DOOM 1 – 3 (Limited Series); October 2000 *** (starts out strong) Remarkable also for the nekkid Doom vs the male African lion in to the death combat!

Doom: The Emperor Returns 1 – 3 (Limited Series); January 2002 ** (ends poorly)

Books of Doom 1 – 6 (Limited Series); November 2005. An expanded re-telling of the rise of Victor Von Doom, and the conquest of Latveria. Great new insights, fabulous art, very well done and highly recommended. *******

Stan Lee Meets Doctor Doom – one shot December 2006. *** Amusing and ties in to continuity in interesting ways.

Iron Man: Legacy of Doom 1 – 4 (Limited Series) April 2008; Iron Man and Doctor Doom tangle again over fragments of Excalibur, magic and science do battle. ****

Doctor Doom & the Masters of Evil 1 – 4 (Limited Series) January 2009 **** A fun mini series aimed at all ages. Great individual moments downgraded by inconsistent art.

Fall of Hulks: Alpha one shot, Feb-10 “Meeting of the Minds” The Intelligentsia gather knowledge from the world, Doom keeps it. Fall of Hulks was difficult to follow unless you got all of the Hulk titles, but this one-shot was a particularly nice showing for Doom. **

Spider-Man & the Secret Wars 1 – 4 (Limited Series) January 2010 Another all-ages title, recaps Secret Wars from Spider-Mans POV, with Dr Doom; again providing a new take on a classic story. ****

*** Non-Doomscribe addition(s) *****

Secret Wars 1 - 9 May to Dec 2015

****** and some Links *******

Would Latveria compete in eurovision

Doom's Greatest Battles

He Wears the Mask Just to Cover the Raw Flesh Ta-NeHisi Coates connects Doom with hip-hop.
    Last edited by Reviresco; 12-29-2019 at 04:01 PM.
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

Favorite Doom Quotes

For no one knows what is best for you ... except your mighty sovereign... Doctor Doom! --FF 84

From DoomScribe: "Because ... I am Doom ... What Gods dare stand against me?"

Favorite Doom Videos

From CJStriker: Darth Vader vs Doctor Doom

“Doom is a very tragic figure. Doom has got a lot of class; I like Doom. He’s got a lot of cool. But Doom has one fallacy; he thinks he’s ugly.” --JackKirby
    Last edited by Reviresco; 01-06-2019 at 12:40 PM.

What else should we put on the first page, fellow Doom fans?

Happy New Year to Dr. Doom and all who follow him .

San Diego, CA and Den of Madness, Castle Doom, Latveria

HAPPY NEW YEAR, everyone!

Doctor Doom HR Doomsday.jpg
    "Because ... I am Doom
    ... What Gods dare stand against me?"

Posting from the dungeon of Castle Doom, Latveria

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    I wish I did have an answer to whether or not Amara will appear anytime soon. Nothing mentioned at all since Iron Man #600. And Kristoff is still MIA since before Secret Wars began as far as I know. I'd love to see both come back.....and Boris!
    Kristoff definitely needs to return. He is a favorite of mine who I feel has a ton of potential.
    We are the Dora Milaje. We are the daughters of the 18 tribes of Wakanda. We are the teeth of the Panther God. Out of 10,000 years of sweat and bloodshed and battle are we born. We are the women of this ancient land. Deadliest of the species. And our time has come!

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

I'm confused now.... Did something happen to the new thread?

BANNED

New year, new Doom thread. I guess this is CBR's new policy to avoid overloading the forums.

Scarlet Witch~4~LIFE!!^_^ CJStriker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    I'm confused now.... Did something happen to the new thread?
    I think it is the New CBR Policy, what happen is that a few months ago CBR was running beyond slowly and they figured one reason was that the very Big thread where slowing us down, so they made a new policy of every year closing the big threads so that no thread becomes to big anymore to slow down CBR again, at least that is how I am understanding it.
    "By Earth and Sky, By Craft and Hex -- By The Past and The Future – I Call HOPE Forth From The DARKNESS! I Speak The Words We Made Into MAGIC! Let THEIR Power Augment Our OWN! To Strike ONE BLOW From Our HEARTS and SOULS – From ALL THAT WE ARE! Let The CALL Go Forth -- AVENGERS! ASSEMBLE!" Scarlet Witch/Wanda Maximoff ~~ From Avengers #689!

Come Join and Learn about Wanda Maximoff at: The Scarlet Witch Appreciation Thread 2023!

Scarlet Witch~4~LIFE!!^_^ CJStriker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Reviresco View Post
    What else should we put on the first page, fellow Doom fans?
    2019 is Another Year for Doom and another chance to Revist why he rules so much!

I think what should be put on the 1st page is show off just Why Do is so Supreme Over Many and the Video Below always reminds me just how BOSS Doom Really is!

"By Earth and Sky, By Craft and Hex -- By The Past and The Future – I Call HOPE Forth From The DARKNESS! I Speak The Words We Made Into MAGIC! Let THEIR Power Augment Our OWN! To Strike ONE BLOW From Our HEARTS and SOULS – From ALL THAT WE ARE! Let The CALL Go Forth -- AVENGERS! ASSEMBLE!" Scarlet Witch/Wanda Maximoff ~~ From Avengers #689!

Come Join and Learn about Wanda Maximoff at: The Scarlet Witch Appreciation Thread 2023!

Quote Originally Posted by CJStriker View Post
    2019 is Another Year for Doom and another chance to Revist why he rules so much!

I think what should be put on the 1st page is show off just Why Do is so Supreme Over Many and the Video Below always reminds me just how BOSS Doom Really is!
    Great idea! I might have to do just links, though, as I don't think CBR will allow me to put alot of videos on one post. But hey, your post made it to the first page, so that works out.

Jewish & Proud Feminist Shadowcat's Avatar

Which Doom is your definitive Doom? Art? Writer? Storyline?
    Comic-Watch Reviewer

Titles:
    /Doctor Strange/Captain Marvel\Scarlet Witch\
    /Iron Man/Captain Britain/Wasp\X-Men\
    /JSA\/X-Treme X-Men\/WILDCATS\

https://comic-watch.com/author/baradtzgmail-com

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcat View Post
    Which Doom is your definitive Doom? Art? Writer? Storyline?
    IMO though canonically speaking, the character of Victor von Doom is an orphan but like success he has many "fathers" for different ages. Stan and Jack of course for the Silver Age, and then I would put John Byrne for the Bronze Age. Finally, Jonathan Hickman for the Modern Age. I'd also put in John Francis Moore and Warren Ellis in there as fathers for their combined work on the Doom of 2099.

Going by comic book eras again, for the Silver Age art, first off you have to say Jack Kirby for developing the design. Then I'd add John Buscema and Gene Colan for adding their touches too. For example, Gene Colan worked a lot with shadow so the cape became dominant under his pencils. John Buscema gave him a certain 'weight", like he was a walking engine of destruction. I think these 3 are the prevailing looks of that era.

John Byrne in the Bronze age is dominant because he was the the Fantastic Four for about 5 years. But his figure seems to have less bulk then the Silver Age Doom, until you look at the John Romita Jr/Bob Layton Doom that makes a memorable appearance in Iron Man #149-150.

In the Modern Age there are so many different artists its hard for me to just to pin down one. Certainly Esad Ribic is near the top with his work on Secret Wars and now as the cover artist for the current Fantastic Four volume that just got underway. I also love what Maleev did with Infamous Iron Man. Yeah, he is using Iron Man's style of armor but it has the Doom touches too with the darker colors.

These are my favorite stories, by eras (I'm sure I'll forget some!)

Silver Age:

FF annual #2: Doom's origin and the introduction of his Latverian homeland
    Astonishing Tales #8: the best story of his solo series is "Though Some Call it Magic". We learn a bit more about his mother's fate, which was only hinted at in the annual. This story is the inspiration for the GN Doctor Strange/Doctor Doom: Triumph and Torment
    FF #57-60: There was some that thought that with the introduction of the cosmic side of Marvel with debut of Galactus and the Silver Surfer that Doom would become overshadowed in the MU. Stan and Jack proved them wrong when Doom wrested the Power Cosmic from the Silver Surfer.

Bronze Era:

John Byrne's Fantastic Four: I like just about all of Doom's appearances here but the one I like most is when he regains the throne from Prince Zorba in FF #247. Byrne adds a bit more of the heroic touch here but doesn't go all the way "white hat" when he ruthlessly kills Zorba to ensure his right to the throne. Another highligh: Byrne again shows a human side of Doom when he take on the guardianship of young Kristoff who is orphaned during a Doombot attack triggered by Prince Zorba.
    Secret Wars Having bought this series as it was published, you got the sense that Doom was in over his head at about the midpoint of the story and might not be a factor in the final issues. But Shooter did surprise me when Doom was the only one to come up with a plan to beat the Beyonder but at great personal risk. After losing a couple of limbs, the Beyonder had begun to study Doom by dissecting him yet manages to implement his plan to steal the Beyonder's power.
    Iron Man #149-150 The combination Iron Man and Doom is a winning one, one that Bendis employed quite a bit in his recent Iron Man and then in the Infamous Iron Man solo series.
    Doctor Strange/Doctor Doom: Triumph and Torment IMO the ultimate Doom story. Nuff Said.

Going to think about the next stage and post again tomorrow about the Modern Age.
    Last edited by Iron Maiden; 01-02-2019 at 08:56 AM.

Citizen of Atlantis ImperiusWrecked's Avatar

Thanks for that rec list! I'm currently about to start reading triumph and torment and really want to read more Doom this year since he is one of my favorite characters!
    "No one should ever question where my allegiance lies." - Namor of Atlantis