Page 43 of 75 FirstFirst ... 3339404142434445464753 ... LastLast
    Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    That's hilarious. Taken right from an old Spidey children's comic IIRC?
    Yes! It's got several wonderful panels for fans of the best SVTU. The original:

Last edited by Reviresco; 08-08-2019 at 07:22 PM.
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

I will have to see if I can find that on Marvel Unlimited. I want to see if they have a digitized version of that. The old print copies have their charm but the colors fade after a while. They didn't exactly use the best quality paper back then.

Where the Diwatas and the Triumph Division live

Latest Doom movie news and it's not good.

Noah Hawley's Doctor Doom Movie Is Dead (Again)
    Human Torch/Fantastic Four/She-Hulk/Disney Big Hero 6 /Tangled/G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero/Transformers G1 fanatic, Avatar-maker, and Marvel Moderator
    "一人じゃないから。" AI、『Story』。
    "ヒロ、お前を信じてる。" タダシ、『ベイマックス』。
    "You were my my new dream." "And you were mine." Eugene Fitzherbert and Rapunzel.
    "Knowing is half the battle."
    G.I. Joe.
    Know the CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Thanks for the update, Ray. I think the solo movie is a longshot but I think the addition of Doom to the MCU is inevitable. The Russo brothers want it to happen and Feige was interested enough to talk with Noah Hawley. They may come to some sort of deal or maybe have him contribute his ideas about Doom for wherever he appears. I'm still not convinced he will be a large part of the Fantastic Four movie. Marvel Studies needs to distance themselves as much as possible from the failed Fox attempts and use some other menace for their debut version of the FF.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravin' Ray View Post

I am shocked at this news.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravin' Ray View Post

Well, at least we got the solo book.

Thanks for the update, Ray. I think the solo movie is a longshot but I think the addition of Doom to the MCU is inevitable. The Russo brothers want it to happen and Feige was interested enough to talk with Noah Hawley. They may come to some sort of deal or maybe have him contribute his ideas about Doom for wherever he appears. I'm still not convinced he will be a large part of the Fantastic Four movie. Marvel Studies needs to distance themselves as much as possible from the failed Fox attempts and use some other menace for their debut version of the FF.
    I agree. Doom WILL be in the MCU. It is just a matter of time. And Noah Hawley's vision of Victor Von Doom can still be part of that, even if it is delayed.
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

Just read Fantastic Four #13 and sadly it didn't make me change my mind : it's out of my pull-list for now and I'll just consider maybe get the trades. But there's something of interest in it for us

The whole fan page is about Doom! Four letters and the answer by Tom B.!

(I fear that the answer is not the most interesting part... )
    - To Tammy and the Blue Rose !

Quote Originally Posted by Abe View Post
    Just read Fantastic Four #13 and sadly it didn't make me change my mind : it's out of my pull-list for now and I'll just consider maybe get the trades. But there's something of interest in it for us

The whole fan page is about Doom! Four letters and the answer by Tom B.!

(I fear that the answer is not the most interesting part... )
    Forgot to update a few things here but will start out with commenting on this. Tom Brevoort's answer to letter that (again!) raised the issue about how much of the characterization of Doom had regressed in Slott's story and disregards the character's trajectory throughout Secret Wars, his Iron Man appearances with Stark, Infamous Iron Man and MTIO. I think Tom B was wavering a bit with his answer. It's true that with Doom, or any major Marvel character for that matter, that all of their appearances can come into play. But you could also say that there are a lot of characters where change "sticks" with them. Take someone like Clint Barton or Natasha Romanov aka Black Widow. They both started out as villains related to Iron Man's early days. You have Rogue of the X-Men, who also started out in the Avengers as a villain. Or Emma Frost. I guess the X-Men are pretty well known for taking in reformed villains. Magneto is part of that too although he is still capable of some dark deeds. Brevoort's somewhat apologetic tone of promising to do better is encouraging. Let's hope Cantwell's Doctor Doom series is more in tune with Infamous Iron Man and MTIO that Slott's FF.

But then you will always have some writers that prefer to use the villainous Doom, which is not always a terrible thing, but they want to take things to the extreme end of the scale, Mark Waid "Unthinkable" being a case in point. I've been trying to catch up on some other titles and bought some of his recent Doctor Strange staff (spoiler alert....Strange has his own OMD moment in the current issue). In short, now it is Strange that must rebuild the universe and he has to put things back in place; the good and the bad. This leads to the eye rolling splash page, which puts Doom right next to none other that Hitler

There are a couple of questionable choices in that group, like Kang for instance. I can see why Thanos is there since he once wiped out half of the population of the universe. I can't think of any instance when you can characterize Kang as genocidal but I suppose there could be something I missed. I'm thinking mainly of his appearance in Avengers Forever and his other versions of himself like Immortus. But as we see here, Waid is going to be one of those writers that is going to keep Doom in that box
    Last edited by Iron Maiden; 08-17-2019 at 09:56 PM.

iMan 42s

That page is ludicrous.

No, I get why it's framed like that. The villains on that page are not the problem here. The issue is that it's framing fictional super villains against a real world monster whose actions are still being felt today especially with the rise of White Nationalism. Dormammu, Kang, Doctor Doom, or Thanos simply cannot be comparable given that Adolph Hitler was a real person. People actually died (which is a massive understatement) to the whims of an actual monster and his genocidal goals. The Marvel villains are not in the same ballpark because none of them are real. We do not have any actual ramifications of Dormammu's dark magic or Kang building a chronal Empire. Hitler and his Nazis forced people to eat each other and shoot family members. It's simply not the same thing.
    This just makes Mark Waid come off like a complete tool. I'm not saying you can't use Hitler, and lord knows we need to beat him down even in the grave, but this not the thing to do. Yeah Mark, I'm sure you're going to make a lot of people happy by saying Hitler was essential to the universe. We apparently needed Hitler slaughtering the Jewish people and committing god knows how many crimes against humanity, it's apparently Destiny according to you. That's surely comparable to Kang right?
    Wouldn't it have just been easier to use Red Skull? It communicates the same idea and you don't have the audacity of saying Hitler's acts of evil was destiny.

I don't think he thought this through.
    -----------------------------------
    For anyone that needs to know why OMD is awful please search the internet for Linkara' s video's specifically his One more day review or his One more day Analysis.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperiorIronman View Post
    That page is ludicrous.

No, I get why it's framed like that. The villains on that page are not the problem here. The issue is that it's framing fictional super villains against a real world monster whose actions are still being felt today especially with the rise of White Nationalism. Dormammu, Kang, Doctor Doom, or Thanos simply cannot be comparable given that Adolph Hitler was a real person. People actually died (which is a massive understatement) to the whims of an actual monster and his genocidal goals. The Marvel villains are not in the same ballpark because none of them are real. We do not have any actual ramifications of Dormammu's dark magic or Kang building a chronal Empire. Hitler and his Nazis forced people to eat each other and shoot family members. It's simply not the same thing.
    This just makes Mark Waid come off like a complete tool. I'm not saying you can't use Hitler, and lord knows we need to beat him down even in the grave, but this not the thing to do. Yeah Mark, I'm sure you're going to make a lot of people happy by saying Hitler was essential to the universe. We apparently needed Hitler slaughtering the Jewish people and committing god knows how many crimes against humanity, it's apparently Destiny according to you. That's surely comparable to Kang right?
    Wouldn't it have just been easier to use Red Skull? It communicates the same idea and you don't have the audacity of saying Hitler's acts of evil was destiny.

I don't think he thought this through.
    I agree with you there and you went far deeper into the inappropriateness of that page. I'm thinking that this was Waid and the artist Barry Kitson did not just toss Hitler in there on a whim. I know one thing the story mentions is that Strange has to put things back exactly as they were but as you say, he makes a terrible choice here using a RW example in Hitler being a needed to make the universe whole again. It's like he's saying on the balancing scale of the universe, Hitler is more important than the millions of people his regime exterminated in the most horrifying ways.
    Last edited by Iron Maiden; 08-17-2019 at 10:05 PM.

The end of that story, and the splash page shown, were, at least in a hamfisted way, trying to tell the reader that things HAD to be put back the way they were, otherwise you start asking yourself "Why doesn't Strange just erase Hitler while he has a chance?" It opens a can of worms that is the consequence of every time travel/reality altering storyline. The writer and artist just weren't very good at it. It was clumsy and rushed imo.

I did want to mention the recent developments with the former Avengers A.I. Doombot in the Runaways #23. When last seen, Doombot had been taken out of commission by the young Gib when Doombot tried to stop him from harming the Runaways. His badly damaged body was taken back to the Runaways cave. The Runaways had two disabled A.I.s on their hands since Victor Mancha, Doombot's bestie from Avengers A.I. was having conflicting feelings about his existence and whether or not he can avoid becoming the villainous Victorious again. He had decided to forgo using his robotic body and just exist as a disembodied head. He figures he less likely to do any harm to anyone that way. There's an added bit of danger in that Chase had unwittingly removed the miniature black hole in that was placed in Doombot's chest by Hank Pym in order to block Doombot more destructive programming.

Doombot and Victor have a meeting of the minds in which they have this great discussion about their status as artificial creations with both having notorious creators/father figures in their memory banks. While Doombot is rebooting Victor has to prevent him from staying stuck in his original more destructive programming. I have to say I was very glad to see writer Rainbow Rowell bring back this Avengers A.I. relationship between these two. Artist Kris Anka gave Doombot such a distinct look which is miles beyond his rather generic Doombot form which lacked the usual Doom attire. When Doombot talks about his inner conflict on being stuck in his Doom programming, he reminds me of the Tin Man in search of a heart only Doombot is in search of his identity and what it means to be human vs an imitation of life.

In a tweet from earlier this year, Rowell has said "There are three characters in Runaways named "Victor," and I see no reason to stop there. (BRB, pitching my "TO THE VICTOR" miniseries, with Chase, Doombot and Victor.) I know I would definitely be interested in that.

Last edited by Iron Maiden; 08-17-2019 at 10:55 PM.

Forgot to update a few things here but will start out with commenting on this. Tom Brevoort's answer to letter that (again!) raised the issue about how much of the characterization of Doom had regressed in Slott's story and disregards the character's trajectory throughout Secret Wars, his Iron Man appearances with Stark, Infamous Iron Man and MTIO. I think Tom B was wavering a bit with his answer. It's true that with Doom, or any major Marvel character for that matter, that all of their appearances can come into play. But you could also say that there are a lot of characters where change "sticks" with them. Take someone like Clint Barton or Natasha Romanov aka Black Widow. They both started out as villains related to Iron Man's early days. You have Rogue of the X-Men, who also started out in the Avengers as a villain. Or Emma Frost. I guess the X-Men are pretty well known for taking in reformed villains. Magneto is part of that too although he is still capable of some dark deeds. Brevoort's somewhat apologetic tone of promising to do better is encouraging. Let's hope Cantwell's Doctor Doom series is more in tune with Infamous Iron Man and MTIO that Slott's FF.

But then you will always have some writers that prefer to use the villainous Doom, which is not always a terrible thing, but they want to take things to the extreme end of the scale, Mark Waid "Unthinkable" being a case in point. I've been trying to catch up on some other titles and bought some of his recent Doctor Strange staff (spoiler alert....Strange has his own OMD moment in the current issue). In short, now it is Strange that must rebuild the universe and he has to put things back in place; the good and the bad. This leads to the eye rolling splash page, which puts Doom right next to none other that Hitler

There are a couple of questionable choices in that group, like Kang for instance. I can see why Thanos is there since he once wiped out half of the population of the universe. I can't think of any instance when you can characterize Kang as genocidal but I suppose there could be something I missed. I'm thinking mainly of his appearance in Avengers Forever and his other versions of himself like Immortus. But as we see here, Waid is going to be one of those writers that is going to keep Doom in that box
    As soon as I saw this, I said, "Mark Waid." LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by Reviresco View Post
    As soon as I saw this, I said, "Mark Waid." LOL!
    I get what he's going for honestly. If someone did go back in time and shoot Hitler, for example, it would alter history to the point that I doubt anyone reading this thread would have been born.

I certainly wouldn't be.

But it just comes off in ridiculously poor taste. Kind of belittling all the people who died under the Third Reich by lining him up with a bunch of fictional characters. Reflects the extreme tone deaf attitude I've come to expect from Mark Waid.

Would have shown a lot more tact. to just put Red Skull there.

Quote Originally Posted by Ptrvc View Post
    I get what he's going for honestly. If someone did go back in time and shoot Hitler, for example, it would alter history to the point that I doubt anyone reading this thread would have been born.

I certainly wouldn't be.

But it just comes off in ridiculously poor taste. Kind of belittling all the people who died under the Third Reich by lining him up with a bunch of fictional characters. Reflects the extreme tone deaf attitude I've come to expect from Mark Waid.

Would have shown a lot more tact. to just put Red Skull there.
    It does sort of remind you of what is probably the best known episode of the original Star Trek series: Harlan Ellison's City on the Edge of Forever ***. Kirk and Spock had traveled back in time to the U.S during the times of the Depression in the 1930s. Their goal was pretty much the same....to undo whatever Doctor McCoy did that wiped out their own time period. The social activist that Kirk fell in love with would go on to lead a pacifist movement that delayed the U.S. entry into WWII, allowing Hitler to prevail.....is she lived that long. Kirk had to allow fate to play out and he had to watch her die when she got killed in a traffic accident.

So in that scenario, they avoid the trap that Waid falls into. The Star Trek story doesn't make it necessary that Hitler should live. It was that certain events could not be altered so that he would be defeated as before.

*** about that episode. Ellison was notoriously angry about the changes the Star Trek writers and producers made to his script. If they had been totally faithful to it, it would have far exceeded the budget they had for a weekly episode! There were other issues to but it's an interesting story in itself if you care to look it up.