Page 37 of 75 FirstFirst ... 2733343536373839404147 ... LastLast
    Citizen of Atlantis ImperiusWrecked's Avatar

I don't know it this has been asked before; but if you could have one writer and one artist for a Doom Solo Comic who would that be and also what would you want to see happen in the solo?
    "No one should ever question where my allegiance lies." - Namor of Atlantis

Quote Originally Posted by ImperiusWrecked View Post
    I don't know it this has been asked before; but if you could have one writer and one artist for a Doom Solo Comic who would that be and also what would you want to see happen in the solo?
    Writer: J. Michael Straczynski
    Artist: Ron Garney

I remember enjoying Straczynski's Doom from his run in ASM. And it would be interesting to see Garney's version of Doom.

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

JMS is a good choice. I also liked Doom's appearances in his ASM (and we don't need to bring up OMD ) Both of his appearance had more than a touch of humor to them. JR Jr (who left Marvel some years back) draws Doom like a giant and he dwarfs a disguised Steve Rogers. He did bring up a seldom used team up of Doom and Loki in his Thor run that I also enjoyed. JMS left Thor so the arc had to be finished by Kieron Gill. JMS grew frustrated by Marvel's insistence that he tie in with an event running at that time. This was was when Norman Osborn's Dark Reign was going on, followed by Siege. He didn't want to have to tie into all that and change some of his plot so he amicably departed the title.

As for what kind of solo I'd like, I think it would be interesting to see a revival of the Cabal. the Wizard had the Intelligencia but that seems to have been set aside. They would employ other villains as a means to their ends. But they would not know who they were working for. It could be a far reaching web of agents carrying out whatever goal is set by the group. I can see Loki perhaps being a part of this but perhaps he would be too treacherous. Possibly Namor, depending on what his status is these days. They would see themselves as a group looking out for the best interests of Earth bu;t outside the purview of the various heroes. But one person we don't need to see again is the Hood! I think it would help to build up a supporting cast or at least some frequent guest appearance. Infamous Iron Man did this to an extent. The Thing showed up frequently along with whoever was in charge of SHIELD, Doctor Strange and Amara (where is she??)

IMO Doom could use another trusted operative that would be in the supporting cast like he had with Lancer years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by K7P5V View Post
    Writer: J. Michael Straczynski
    Artist: Ron Garney

I remember enjoying Straczynski's Doom from his run in ASM. And it would be interesting to see Garney's version of Doom.
    Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    JMS is a good choice. I also liked Doom's appearances in his ASM (and we don't need to bring up OMD ) Both of his appearance had more than a touch of humor to them. JR Jr (who left Marvel some years back) draws Doom like a giant and he dwarfs a disguised Steve Rogers. He did bring up a seldom used team up of Doom and Loki in his Thor run that I also enjoyed. JMS left Thor so the arc had to be finished by Kieron Gill. JMS grew frustrated by Marvel's insistence that he tie in with an event running at that time. This was was when Norman Osborn's Dark Reign was going on, followed by Siege. He didn't want to have to tie into all that and change some of his plot so he amicably departed the title.

As for what kind of solo I'd like, I think it would be interesting to see a revival of the Cabal. the Wizard had the Intelligencia but that seems to have been set aside. They would employ other villains as a means to their ends. But they would not know who they were working for. It could be a far reaching web of agents carrying out whatever goal is set by the group. I can see Loki perhaps being a part of this but perhaps he would be too treacherous. Possibly Namor, depending on what his status is these days. They would see themselves as a group looking out for the best interests of Earth bu;t outside the purview of the various heroes. But one person we don't need to see again is the Hood! I think it would help to build up a supporting cast or at least some frequent guest appearance. Infamous Iron Man did this to an extent. The Thing showed up frequently along with whoever was in charge of SHIELD, Doctor Strange and Amara (where is she??)

IMO Doom could use another trusted operative that would be in the supporting cast like he had with Lancer years ago.
    I really love the idea of a new Cabal series! I also really kinda want to see something centered in Latveria, where Victor has lots of interactions with Kristoff. (also yes where is Amara? i hate when cast gets dropped for no reason) As for art I would love to see more of Gabriele Dell'Otto's Doom, I love this variant cover.

I can understand why that would frustrate a writer, having to uproot his planned out story just to include some event that would derail it. Its why I wish Marvel would stop trying to tie in every single character no matter what is going on, in their events.

Oh, yes. If ever there was a new Doom series, I think Kristoff should be there. He was passed over in Secret Wars (which I could understand) but he should have been in Infamous Iron Man. I don't know if he's been in any comic since Hickman's New Avengers ended. At least no one that comes to this thread has reported any sightings.

Dell'Otto is a fabulous choice but I'm not sure if he does interiors these days. I'd like to see Maleev again but I think wherever Bendis goes, he goes. The artist who did the War Scrolls. Cian Tormey would be another good choice IMO. I don't know why Aaron Kuder isn't doing Fantastic Four but that's another I'd like to see.

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    Oh, yes. If ever there was a new Doom series, I think Kristoff should be there. He was passed over in Secret Wars (which I could understand) but he should have been in Infamous Iron Man. I don't know if he's been in any comic since Hickman's New Avengers ended. At least no one that comes to this thread has reported any sightings.

Dell'Otto is a fabulous choice but I'm not sure if he does interiors these days. I'd like to see Maleev again but I think wherever Bendis goes, he goes. The artist who did the War Scrolls. Cian Tormey would be another good choice IMO. I don't know why Aaron Kuder isn't doing Fantastic Four but that's another I'd like to see.
    I'm totally keeping an eye out for any sign of Kristoff, I was really hoping he would have showed up in that WOtR tie in, "a rose for victor" even as a background character or something, but nothing.

I'd be happy if we at least get a "wallpaper" appearance in something. Kristoff's been M.I.A. too long. I'm not sure why he hasn't appeared since before SW.

I'm not quite sure what team I'd like, there are so many I like and many I don't. What I find most interesting about the idea is what do you do with Doom at this point? What do you do with him after what he's accomplished? If you center a series on him, and take into account everything the character has gone through in the last few years (barring the most recent FF appearance) what would Victor's motivations even be? What goals or desires would he have? How can you make him antagonistic to many of the mainstream heroes yet not have him regress into "the same thing we do every night, Pinky, try to take over the world!"

Quote Originally Posted by Doombot View Post
    I'm not quite sure what team I'd like, there are so many I like and many I don't. What I find most interesting about the idea is what do you do with Doom at this point? What do you do with him after what he's accomplished? If you center a series on him, and take into account everything the character has gone through in the last few years (barring the most recent FF appearance) what would Victor's motivations even be? What goals or desires would he have? How can you make him antagonistic to many of the mainstream heroes yet not have him regress into "the same thing we do every night, Pinky, try to take over the world!"
    This is so easy. the answer of how to "Make Victor a threat to the heroes while still driving his character forward" is make it personal again. Now I love God Emperor Doom as much as anyone, and I love classic Doom, I even enjoyed parts of Infamous Doom, but in order to make Doom a threat is to make it personal, why is he so motivated to be a enemy to Richards? its a personal feud. Why does he want to amass power in the first place? to free his mother, to help his people, to save mankind. Doom doesn't see himself as a villain, only as a necessary thing in order for the world to be saved.

For this to happen, is to bring in Kristoff, imagine Kristoff is in some kind of danger. Now this is his son, how far would Doom go to save him? If we had a Doom series make that his journey, he knows how far he will go, but keep throwing barriers at him, watch him overcome them. Heroes are trying to stop him because he wants to tap into some unlimited power? They only see him trying to steal power but for Doom its a necessary part of his plan to save his son. Flashback scenes to when Kristoff was younger and Doom suddenly had a person who saw him as a hero and not a villain, I really hate how Infamous Doom made everything about Doom trying to uphold Iron Man's mantle, there was already another character doing that, it should have been Doom trying to right the wrongs he did. Or trying to be a hero for his son. I really feel the problem with the current Doom isn't that he has regressed to Classic Doom but that it just isn't personal. He has no stake in this really, he doesn't really need Galactus. Where do you take the character who has essentially become a god in that universe, you have to go really personal and deep within the character to find out other sides of him. Thats my take on it. Make a character care deeply about something and watch the audience come to care for it too.

Mighty Member

Edit.

------
    Last edited by lordozone; 07-12-2019 at 06:48 PM.
    I try to improve my english, feel free to correct me by DM if you see some mistakes !

This is so easy. the answer of how to "Make Victor a threat to the heroes while still driving his character forward" is make it personal again. Now I love God Emperor Doom as much as anyone, and I love classic Doom, I even enjoyed parts of Infamous Doom, but in order to make Doom a threat is to make it personal, why is he so motivated to be a enemy to Richards? its a personal feud. Why does he want to amass power in the first place? to free his mother, to help his people, to save mankind. Doom doesn't see himself as a villain, only as a necessary thing in order for the world to be saved.

For this to happen, is to bring in Kristoff, imagine Kristoff is in some kind of danger. Now this is his son, how far would Doom go to save him? If we had a Doom series make that his journey, he knows how far he will go, but keep throwing barriers at him, watch him overcome them. Heroes are trying to stop him because he wants to tap into some unlimited power? They only see him trying to steal power but for Doom its a necessary part of his plan to save his son. Flashback scenes to when Kristoff was younger and Doom suddenly had a person who saw him as a hero and not a villain, I really hate how Infamous Doom made everything about Doom trying to uphold Iron Man's mantle, there was already another character doing that, it should have been Doom trying to right the wrongs he did. Or trying to be a hero for his son. I really feel the problem with the current Doom isn't that he has regressed to Classic Doom but that it just isn't personal. He has no stake in this really, he doesn't really need Galactus. Where do you take the character who has essentially become a god in that universe, you have to go really personal and deep within the character to find out other sides of him. Thats my take on it. Make a character care deeply about something and watch the audience come to care for it too.
    This is way the Iron Man stuff never made sense to me, even though I still enjoyed it. Doom never saw himself as a villain or someone doing evil. He always did whatever he saw as necessary to fulfill his goals. Even his more insane goals of becoming master of the world, were because he legit saw himself as the most fit to do so.

Extraordinary Member

Ed Brubaker and Gabriele Dell Otto.

For this to happen, is to bring in Kristoff, imagine Kristoff is in some kind of danger. Now this is his son, how far would Doom go to save him? If we had a Doom series make that his journey, he knows how far he will go, but keep throwing barriers at him, watch him overcome them. Heroes are trying to stop him because he wants to tap into some unlimited power? They only see him trying to steal power but for Doom its a necessary part of his plan to save his son. Flashback scenes to when Kristoff was younger and Doom suddenly had a person who saw him as a hero and not a villain
    Yes, and that's another reason that makes me think on Kristoff as a huge missed opportunity. The dynamic between Doom and his child could be the source of a lot of good histories.
    Personally, my head cannon always paints Victor as a somewhat overprotective parent, yes he is able to be very demanding and even putting his son on risk himself (sending him in missions since childhood, making him act as decoy, making him fight against powerful adversaries) but poor of the fool that dares to lay a hand over HIS child.
    Maybe by possessivity, maybe because he cares about his reputation or maybe (and that's my personal choice) because he just honestly loves him as a parent loves his son.
    I think that if someone were stupid/evil/brave enough to try to kidnap/harm/try to extract information by force from Kristoff; Doom won't be able to kill him, at contrary, he is more creative than that and I'm sure that and would do things able to make death look as a sweet and peaceful in comparison just to set a example.
    Hell, as far as I know he could already have done something like that and that's the reason because we can see Kristoff traveling to places as Madripoor or U. E. without any care or fear. After all a teen with Doom memories, but without his experience, could be a tempting target for every villain and even some heros who wanted to know more about Doom to defeat or control him.

I really hate how Infamous Doom made everything about Doom trying to uphold Iron Man's mantle, there was already another character doing that, it should have been Doom trying to right the wrongs he did.
    Yup, seeing Victor becoming another person trying to be an Iron related character feels odds, like if he were trying to be another "spider" or "wolverine" related character, was a total -people, there are like 3 personas who could do that, we really need someone unrelated at all, doing the same? and he has to be Victor Von Doom?- I can't see DOOM waiting to be anyone else but himself

Or trying to be a hero for his son. I really feel the problem with the current Doom isn't that he has regressed to Classic Doom but that it just isn't personal. He has no stake in this really, he doesn't really need Galactus. Where do you take the character who has essentially become a god in that universe, you have to go really personal and deep within the character to find out other sides of him. Thats my take on it. Make a character care deeply about something and watch the audience come to care for it too.
    I suppose that some people can alegate that Doom cares about Valeria, and while that's is true at some extent, IMO his relationship with Valeria has a totally different source and a totally different dynamic. With Valeria he plays to be the cool uncle, he doesn't that because he cares about the girl, yes, but also because he wants to screw with Riiiichaaards, and that obsession is getting old and nonsensical. He wanted not only to show off that he was able to deliver the child that Reed couldn't but that said child even "loved him more" something obsessive; and at this point even absurd since Reed with all his deficiencies has proved himself as a competent parent. So Victor can play the uncle role but he never will be so important to that child as the real parent who is there 24/7, damn that girl even has actual uncles who spend more time and had more participation in her life. With Kristoff he IS the parent, they are able to develop a relationship outside the F4 stuff and being their own family with their own issues, ups and downs. Also he adopted Kristoff not to show off, but full of honor (and maybe a bit of guilt) and they eventually developed from a master/servant relationship to a father/son, something that makes Victor look...nobler.

That is so true, while Victor obviously cares for Valeria, its a far different relationship than the one he has with Kristoff. Almost like a beloved apprentice rather than a daughter. I think you really hit something good there. A reason for Kristoff to be in danger could be that he has Doom's memories, and by now maybe villains have begun to doubt Doom is the top dog and want to take him down, so going after Kristoff would be a great way to kick off a series. Now if only someone at Marvel has the same idea. lol

Honestly I don't get why Victor HAD to be Iron Man at all. I don't read much Iron man comics though so its one of the reasons I wasn't happy about infamous.

iMan 42s

He became Iron man largely due to what Bendis was doing over in Iron man at the time.

Riri Williams and Victor spent time as Iron man due to what was going to be a culmination of Bendis plotting at the time, though we don't really know what the end result was. Bendis jumped ship to DC and we got the haphazard ending of Invincible Iron man that I'm not convinced anyone was happy with. Sure he could end it there but he just wasn't done hence a couple of dropped plot points.
    At any rate the two becoming Iron man (or more specifically Riri Williams being a cancerous growth on Iron man for a year+) was to be spinning out of Civil War 2 and getting hip with the kids as Bendis tried to emulate his success with Miles Morales through Iron man. Victor was supposed to have turned over a new leaf which meant Bendis could do almost whatever he wanted but found himself more and more embroiled in Riri Williams leading to garbage like Legacy. Victor was supposed to be the counterpoint to Riri. Someone who'd seen it all and hit the ultimate glass ceiling and made more than a few enemies along the way. He was the veteran to Riri's rookie.

It didn't really pan out.
    Victor's book was fine and had some crossovers (even in some cases beating Riri) but being held in Bendis affairs and having Riri attached to projects instead leads to Infamous Iron man being underused and under-explored, which then leads us to Dan Slott.
    He got on Fantastic Four and with a big name with a "return to form" (which is just code for internet memes and slurping the 70's) we get the one thing Victor was on that was starting to explore Victor's mindset to be abruptly canceled for whatever that dumbass plan with batteries was.

Infamous Iron man was a fine idea pretty much killed through an onslaught of misuse, bad writing and nobody otherwise knowing how to write the damn thing ironically outside of Bendis and two or three others. It was kind of like Penance all over again with writers not knowing a single thing about the mindset or character to try and make it work.
    -----------------------------------
    For anyone that needs to know why OMD is awful please search the internet for Linkara' s video's specifically his One more day review or his One more day Analysis.