Page 58 of 75 FirstFirst ... 84854555657585960616268 ... LastLast
    Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kintor View Post
    Some preliminary thoughts, having read the issue. Definitely off to a strong start, Doom is in equal measures noble and capricious in his mannerisms, successfully carrying the story. The true test of this book will come in #2 though, as we see if this shake-up of Doom's status quo manages to stick the landing.

Without spoiling any of the plot, one of my favourite moments is:
    spoilers:
    The full page panel of Doom writing in his study, with no dialogue or captions present. It’s not often you see something truly contemplative in a comic book. Yet this image says so much about Doom’s character, a small glimpse into his private world beyond the public face of Latveria’s monarch.
    end of spoilers
    I purposely avoided reading any posts here. But I agree with you. That full page of Doom really was a highlight for me also. Thanks for posting in the review thread!

Quote Originally Posted by ImperiusWrecked View Post
    RIP to Steve the Anchor man, he really should have known better XD. Loved this issue, and can't wait for more. I really enjoyed alot of scenes from it and it was just so great to see spoilers:
    Boris and Victor placing bets and knowing each other so well. Doom in his study and speaking with Kang is the highlight for me.
    end of spoilers
    I like how this shows how deep the affection is between them as the years go on. Petra seems a bit terrified though. I wonder if she is the aunt of Valeria, the original of course. I don't get the sense that she is her mother since she has 2 other children.

iMan 42s

Went to the shop this morning to pick this up. I'll admit I was pretty much here for it and had it not been for Absolute Carnage I would've bought the other variants. They had an MJ with the Doom bots, Doom look out from his castle, and of course the Bianchi variant. I got that one and am framing it. Those in of themselves are pretty good pieces but I'm a sucker for that Bianchi art.
    -----------------------------------
    For anyone that needs to know why OMD is awful please search the internet for Linkara' s video's specifically his One more day review or his One more day Analysis.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperiorIronman View Post
    Went to the shop this morning to pick this up. I'll admit I was pretty much here for it and had it not been for Absolute Carnage I would've bought the other variants. They had an MJ with the Doom bots, Doom look out from his castle, and of course the Bianchi variant. I got that one and am framing it. Those in of themselves are pretty good pieces but I'm a sucker for that Bianchi art.
    I picked up the MJ Variant. I have some sentimental attachment to it. I would the comics cover contest in the Community forum with it a couple of weeks back! The Doom on the castle parapets was going for $12.00 at my LCS so I passed on that. They didn't have the Bianchi one. I would have got that one too.

iMan 42s

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    I picked up the MJ Variant. I have some sentimental attachment to it. I would the comics cover contest in the Community forum with it a couple of weeks back! The Doom on the castle parapets was going for $12.00 at my LCS so I passed on that. They didn't have the Bianchi one. I would have got that one too.
    Everybody at the shop I was at was going crazy over it. It was only just opening (I arrived an hour after they opened) and the employees and customers had nothing but good things to say about it. I got a good feeling about this.

The Bianchi cover looks great but I wanted the MJ variant as well. I can't remember if I ever liked variants but here I am
    For anyone that needs to know why OMD is awful please search the internet for Linkara' s video's specifically his One more day review or his One more day Analysis.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperiorIronman View Post
    Everybody at the shop I was at was going crazy over it. It was only just opening (I arrived an hour after they opened) and the employees and customers had nothing but good things to say about it. I got a good feeling about this.

The Bianchi cover looks great but I wanted the MJ variant as well. I can't remember if I ever liked variants but here I am

Me too. I used to avoid them because of the pricing. I always give my LCS a print out of the Marvel selections for the upcoming week and check off things I want. Some years back, they never had a separate listing for the variants. Now they do but some shops still will charge more for certain ones. Maybe Marvel doesn't send as many of certain ones to press???

I like these first hand accounts of customer interest. Things were slow at my local LCS but it is a small operation anyway. His larger store is downstate.
    Last edited by Iron Maiden; 10-09-2019 at 05:48 PM.

Loved it! Cant wait for next issue.
    "Sir, does this mean that Ann Margret's not coming?"
    ----------------------
    "One of the maddening but beautiful things about comics is that you have to give characters a sense of change without changing them so much that they violate the essence of who they are." ~ Ann Nocenti, Chris Claremont's X-Men.

iMan 42s

Me too. I used to avoid them because of the pricing. I always give my LCS a print out of the Marvel selections for the upcoming week and check off things I want. Some years back, they never had a separate listing for the variants. Now they do but some shops still will charge more for certain ones. Maybe Marvel doesn't send as many of certain ones to press???

I like these first hand accounts of customer interest. Things were slow at my local LCS but it is a small operation anyway. His larger store is downstate.
    The shop I currently go to has a few locations currently. I don't know what the situation was like at the other shops and I'm probably not going to find out unless I ask the owner since he stops into that location at least once a week. If I I find out though I'm sure I'll post about it.

San Diego, CA and Den of Madness, Castle Doom, Latveria

Doctor Doom #1. Loved it, a great start, excited to see where it goes from here. I think Cantwell has a terrific touch with the character, and I dig the detail and light in Larroca's art.

I did buy all five covers. The original, the Mary Jane, the Art Adams cover (which is one for every 50 issues ordered), the Deodato cover (my favorite - one in every 10 ordered) and the Bianchi variant (one in every 25 issues ordered). For a small shop like mine, they have to charge a premium for the variants, because they may not sell 50 or 100 issues. For me, it's only money (ack!) and they'll charge whatever I'll still pay it because I actually love the cover art for all of these variants. I've soured on variants in the past - I do think it's a bit of a racket and a trick, and it's not like I'm ever going to sell them for a profit (even if I could, I wouldn't). Anyway, it's not often that I'll go for the more expensive variants, but I owe my LCS for keeping me in Doom (they're always pulling issues and saving them for me). Plus, again, the art on these is stellar.

Plus, maybe a little incentive for TPTB at Marvel to keep this title going. Yes, I have high hopes.
    ds
    "Because ... I am Doom
    ... What Gods dare stand against me?"

Posting from the dungeon of Castle Doom, Latveria

Glad you are joining in on all the positive reactions. What was your favorite scene? I agree with the other guys that liked the page showing him alone in his private study, going old school by writing a journal by hand.

Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DoomScribe View Post
    Doctor Doom #1. Loved it, a great start, excited to see where it goes from here. I think Cantwell has a terrific touch with the character, and I dig the detail and light in Larroca's art.

I did buy all five covers. The original, the Mary Jane, the Art Adams cover (which is one for every 50 issues ordered), the Deodato cover (my favorite - one in every 10 ordered) and the Bianchi variant (one in every 25 issues ordered). For a small shop like mine, they have to charge a premium for the variants, because they may not sell 50 or 100 issues. For me, it's only money (ack!) and they'll charge whatever I'll still pay it because I actually love the cover art for all of these variants. I've soured on variants in the past - I do think it's a bit of a racket and a trick, and it's not like I'm ever going to sell them for a profit (even if I could, I wouldn't). Anyway, it's not often that I'll go for the more expensive variants, but I owe my LCS for keeping me in Doom (they're always pulling issues and saving them for me). Plus, again, the art on these is stellar.

Plus, maybe a little incentive for TPTB at Marvel to keep this title going. Yes, I have high hopes.
    ds
    Thanks for the run down on the variants. My LCBS only had the Mary Jane one, and I was tempted, but had some other stuff come in to buy. Had they the Bianchi one, however, I probably would have sprung for it. I love his work, and his Doom in particular. If Marvel ever does a SVTUP, I want him to do the cover.
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

Quote Originally Posted by Reviresco View Post
    Thanks for the run down on the variants. My LCBS only had the Mary Jane one, and I was tempted, but had some other stuff come in to buy. Had they the Bianchi one, however, I probably would have sprung for it. I love his work, and his Doom in particular. If Marvel ever does a SVTUP, I want him to do the cover.
    I hope that if the Doom series lasts that they get to a SVTU revival at some point. It's long overdue!

There's an interview up at Newsarama with some interesting quotes from Cantwell. Some of the future guest appearances he mentions are ntial future in the story, so I bring back Morgan Le Fay(!), Mephisto, Dr. Strange and M.O.D.O.K.

That reunion with Morgan le Fay looks like it could be pretty awkward since the break up was messy. I remember Doom finally went back for a visit that began their affair in Bendis's Mighty Avengers, she acted pretty weird about it afterwards. After he left, she was scrying for him to see if she could find in in the current time. IIRC Morgan still lives in some part of the past, not sure exactly where. She was able to locate him in the middle of a meeting with Norman's Cabal and Doom was sitting between Emma Frost and Fem-Loki. Morgan then teleported to the present and attacked Doom after Osborn arranged to have him dropped off back in Latveria. Doom was in the Raft at this time and Osborn was in charge of National Security so he was able to get him released. As soon as he was dropped off from helicopter, Morgan Le Fey appeared and relentlessly attacked him. Even Osborn's Dark Avengers helped out but she still ended clobbering him.

*** What was confusing though was that in Millar's FF he was in prison in the international prison in The Hague when Reed went to visit him. This was in the Master of Doom story.
    Last edited by Iron Maiden; 10-10-2019 at 12:02 PM.

Hi, you all Latverian citizens!

No a surprise, I loved it : truly a great start. (But I said it already... a bit early...)

And I got all the variants I saw in my LCS : the MJ one - for MJ, Madonna and Marylin of course. And the Deodato variant - for 8 euros, which wasn't too much.

That's all. Just wanted to add my little part to the current discussion. I won't do that each week, but for sure I'm in for the all run (unlike the current FF book, which I dropped before the current arc... even if I may consider buying the trade...).
    - To Tammy and the Blue Rose !

Quote Originally Posted by Abe View Post
    Hi, you all Latverian citizens!

No a surprise, I loved it : truly a great start. (But I said it already... a bit early...)

And I got all the variants I saw in my LCS : the MJ one - for MJ, Madonna and Marylin of course. And the Deodato variant - for 8 euros, which wasn't too much.

That's all. Just wanted to add my little part to the current discussion. I won't do that each week, but for sure I'm in for the all run (unlike the current FF book, which I dropped before the current arc... even if I may consider buying the trade...).
    Greetings Abe!

Sadly with you on the FF, Abe. I haven't dropped it yet, but I've been considering it. Unlike Doom's book, I don't rush to the store to pick it up on the release day.
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

I hope that if the Doom series lasts that they get to a SVTU revival at some point. It's long overdue!

There's an interview up at Newsarama with some interesting quotes from Cantwell. Some of the future guest appearances he mentions are ntial future in the story, so I bring back Morgan Le Fay(!), Mephisto, Dr. Strange and M.O.D.O.K.

That reunion with Morgan le Fay looks like it could be pretty awkward since the break up was messy. I remember Doom finally went back for a visit that began their affair in Bendis's Mighty Avengers, she acted pretty weird about it afterwards. After he left, she was scrying for him to see if she could find in in the current time. IIRC Morgan still lives in some part of the past, not sure exactly where. She was able to locate him in the middle of a meeting with Norman's Cabal and Doom was sitting between Emma Frost and Fem-Loki. Morgan then teleported to the present and attacked Doom after Osborn arranged to have him dropped off back in Latveria. Doom was in the Raft at this time and Osborn was in charge of National Security so he was able to get him released. As soon as he was dropped off from helicopter, Morgan Le Fey appeared and relentlessly attacked him. Even Osborn's Dark Avengers helped out but she still ended clobbering him.

*** What was confusing though was that in Millar's FF he was in prison in the international prison in The Hague when Reed went to visit him. This was in the Master of Doom story.
    Oh no. I try to forget the Master of Doom story. I'd like to think when the MU was remade after Secret Wars, that Franklin just left out that run. LOL!