Page 46 of 75 FirstFirst ... 3642434445464748495056 ... LastLast
    Citizen of Atlantis ImperiusWrecked's Avatar

I felt the same, I was very excited that it might be Namor but Strange is the logical choice for being in New York. (I LOVED T&T) Still I can hope for a Namor cameo! Who knows, if the series runs on for awhile we might see him there.(unless its already been announced its a limited series ? not sure) I still think that the two dropped plot lines for Victor and Namor in the past were wasted opportunities. Namor teaming up with Doom at the end of his 2007 series and also Victor showing up in First Mutant, where Namor still owes him something for his help getting out of Hell.
    "No one should ever question where my allegiance lies." - Namor of Atlantis

Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    I was checking out his Twitter too earlier today. I notice he has a Lego Doom as his banner or whatever Twitter calls that.
    I saw his posts about Triumph and Torment but maybe he's just expressing his fandom for the GN. I guess you could call Dr. Strange a frenemy but they've seldom have been adversaries. He was Doom's Sheriff on Battleworld and he was practically his only friend in Infamous Iron Man. I'd be happy with either but I prefer the guest appearance be Namor's.
    Interesting. Now I'm wondering how many times Strange and Doom have fought?

Quote Originally Posted by ImperiusWrecked View Post
    I felt the same, I was very excited that it might be Namor but Strange is the logical choice for being in New York. (I LOVED T&T) Still I can hope for a Namor cameo! Who knows, if the series runs on for awhile we might see him there.(unless its already been announced its a limited series ? not sure) I still think that the two dropped plot lines for Victor and Namor in the past were wasted opportunities. Namor teaming up with Doom at the end of his 2007 series and also Victor showing up in First Mutant, where Namor still owes him something for his help getting out of Hell.
    I agree. The end of the 2007 Sub-Mariner mini was AWESOME. And then nothing happened. Yes, I know they both joined the Cabal, but we didn't get anything much from that either, other than that one Hickman story, which was a Doom fantasy.

Heck, they hardly had any interaction in Secret Wars.

And let's not forget that cool story with Doom resurrecting Attuma. Another great thread that went no where.

We are definitely long overdue for another SuperVillian Team Up story / mini-series.
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

I'm glad you mentioned the Attuma story from that one shot Made Men. I forgot about that one Another plot that went nowhere and was never mentioned again.

Quote Originally Posted by ImperiusWrecked View Post
    I really hope that Doctor Doom is an ongoing. Marvel sometimes fudges things like that. I am pretty sure the announcement was for an ongoing. But if the numbers aren't to their liking, they will change course and call it a mini series.

You know it seems like Marvel is notorious for leaving these dangling plots. I guess it is because I am mostly into those involving Doom that I am aware of a lot of them surrounding his appearances. There are the two you mentioned. Then if you go back to Brubaker's Captain America, there was one about the operatives of the Red Skull unearthing some evidence of a possible ancestor of Doom's. He mentions this in an old interview that thankfully is still out there

CA: What got left on the cutting room floor? Were there any scenes or plots that you fell in love with, but just couldn't fit into the structure of your run?

EB: Yeah, I had a whole storyline about Bucky and Cap going back in time that included Doctor Doom. It was even hinted at early on in my run. That was something that got cut for some reason, I can't remember why now. I had this great opening for it where Steve Rogers is on the frontlines of a new world war, and gets called to the deathbed of Bucky, who is like 100 years old, and who tells him he ruined the world. It would have been awesome. Oh wait, now I remember. I axed it when I heard about Alex Ross's Invaders/Avengers series, which was covering a bit of the same ground.
    Then I've been complaining about the Infamous Iron loose ends like Amara and her pregnancy and Doom's visions about a future with Tony as Sorcerer Supreme. There was another loose end that I felt got a rushed conclusion for Kieren Gillen's Thor run. Doom had obtained a bit of Loki's DNA back when he was Fem-Loki (what an interesting pairing they made!) Gillen never really did anything with it IIRC there was a story where Loki had Mr Sinister take care of it by sneaking into Castle Doom and getting rid of it.

Here's some of the Brubaker set up in Captain America. Some of it was in the Captain America 75th anniversary issue, another in CA #45 IIRC. But no one ever picked up on it to this day. I think it would help to explain Victor's Germanic surname of Von Doom. Maybe it was an assumed name by this distant ancestor and his true name had never been found out.

Last edited by Iron Maiden; 08-26-2019 at 11:17 AM.

Yesss! Brubaker writing Doom is awesome! I wish my BOoks of Doom wasn't packed away.
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

Quote Originally Posted by Reviresco View Post
    Yesss! Brubaker writing Doom is awesome! I wish my BOoks of Doom wasn't packed away.
    You should also check out Brubaker's first arc of Winter Soldier. Doom is pretty prominent in that because former Latverian PM Lucia Von Bardas is plotting against him by making it look like Latveria is attacking the U.S. Bucky, Natasha and Doom have a team up in this to stop her. This occurs around the time he had Kristoff as regent because of the brain damage he got from his fight with Red She Hulk in Fall of the Hulks. I think Brubaker was taking that into consideration to a small extent because he is a bit loopy at times.

Last edited by Iron Maiden; 08-26-2019 at 12:41 PM.

You should also check out Brubaker's first arc of Winter Soldier. Doom is pretty prominent in that because former Latverian PM Lucia Von Bardas is plotting against him by making it look like Latveria is attacking the U.S. Bucky, Natasha and Doom have a team up in this to stop her. This occurs around the time he had Kristoff as regent because of the brain damage he got from his fight with Red She Hulk in Fall of the Hulks. I think Brubaker was taking that into consideration to a small extent because he is a bit loopy at times.

Oh yes! I think I ended up buying that twice, because of the 'wonderful' repackaging of trades that Marvel constantly does.

That's Butch Guice, isn't it? Wow. Now I really want to see Doom show up in an Invaders flashback. That would be awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by Reviresco View Post
    Oh yes! I think I ended up buying that twice, because of the 'wonderful' repackaging of trades that Marvel constantly does.

That's Butch Guice, isn't it? Wow. Now I really want to see Doom show up in an Invaders flashback. That would be awesome!
    Yes, that was Guice. Love the photorealism touch to his work. Let's keep our fingers crossed on a Doom appearance in Invaders. IMO it would be a natural with Namor on that team. I have the TPB on this too.

Where the Diwatas and the Triumph Division live

This video lists Marvel's Top 10 Schools, and there's one for Latveria, and it's named "Victor von Doom Institute for Gifted Youths". The only other Latverian-based school I'm aware of, the "Latverian School of Science" from the Infinity: The Hunt miniseries, isn't mentioned.

Human Torch/Fantastic Four/She-Hulk/Disney Big Hero 6 /Tangled/G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero/Transformers G1 fanatic, Avatar-maker, and Marvel Moderator
    "一人じゃないから。" AI、『Story』。
    "ヒロ、お前を信じてる。" タダシ、『ベイマックス』。
    "You were my my new dream." "And you were mine." Eugene Fitzherbert and Rapunzel.
    "Knowing is half the battle."
    G.I. Joe.
    Know the CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Quote Originally Posted by Ravin' Ray View Post
    This video lists Marvel's Top 10 Schools, and there's one for Latveria, and it's named "Victor von Doom Institute for Gifted Youths". The only other Latverian-based school I'm aware of, the "Latverian School of Science" from the Infinity: The Hunt miniseries, isn't mentioned.
    Well, being honest I wasn't aware of the "Victor Von Doom Institute for Gifted Youths" certainly sounds to setting that Doom would do but I remember the "Latverian School of Science and I think that the cast were interesting enough to deserve another check, was a pretty good opportunity to use some of the old forgotten citizen of Latveria and add interesting elements, I found pretty funny the concept of a female doombot for example.

Yes, that was Guice. Love the photorealism touch to his work. Let's keep our fingers crossed on a Doom appearance in Invaders. IMO it would be a natural with Namor on that team. I have the TPB on this too.
    Agreed. There's a difference between what Guice is doing compared to similar artists like Greg Land & Salvador Larroca.

I hope that for the Doom series that Larocca goes back to the style from the time he was doing the Fantastic Four, the young Namor series and Xtreme X-Men and I'll be satisfied. I peeked at some of his Star Wars issues online and it's eh...OK.

Quote Originally Posted by Coatl View Post
    Well, being honest I wasn't aware of the "Victor Von Doom Institute for Gifted Youths" certainly sounds to setting that Doom would do but I remember the "Latverian School of Science and I think that the cast were interesting enough to deserve another check, was a pretty good opportunity to use some of the old forgotten citizen of Latveria and add interesting elements, I found pretty funny the concept of a female doombot for example.
    I think we can conclude that Doom does believe that education holds value, even though he may not have held a lot of respect for some of his university professors.

Remember how he scolded those Latverian children for not being in school in Infamous Iron Man? And the little bit of advice he gave Ironheart about her education? Very paternal too.

I think we can conclude that Doom does believe that education holds value, even though he may not have held a lot of respect for some of his university professors. Remember how he scolded those Latverian children for not being in school in Infamous Iron Man? And the little bit of advice he gave Ironheart about her education? Very paternal too.
    Well as far as I remember one of the many advantages of living in Latveria is that there is almost none child without basic care, all they get basic education and a good night of sleep, about Victor university professors, well they were stupid americans, not well mannered Latverians so, of course they were a bunch of fools without vision.

But still I would live to see more of the most famous educational centers, at least in "The Latverian School of Science" looked as magical invocations could be an optative class, I mean, they have Vampires, Satires, Demons and werewolves as students.

Returning to a participation of Doom in the new Invaders title, YES, please, I'm reading it and I'm loving the narrative, the art is a bit blurry sometimes but still comfortable, and I have always supported the frienemist between Doom and Namor, I was saddened that it was never reignited after they "broke up" in secret wars, but seeing the Latverian ambassador defending Atlantis in the ONU from the attacks of USA bring me hope.

Well as far as I remember one of the many advantages of living in Latveria is that there is almost none child without basic care, all they get basic education and a good night of sleep, about Victor university professors, well they were stupid americans, not well mannered Latverians so, of course they were a bunch of fools without vision.
    Yes, how foolish of them not to recognize the nascent genius in their care! I also forgot to note about how Doom took measures to see that the orphaned Kristoff was given a proper education too.

But still I would live to see more of the most famous educational centers, at least in "The Latverian School of Science" looked as magical invocations could be an optative class, I mean, they have Vampires, Satires, Demons and werewolves as students.
    I wonder who they could have as instructors? I imagine Victor might leave behind some visual material, a holographic lecture or two perhaps.

Returning to a participation of Doom in the new Invaders title, YES, please, I'm reading it and I'm loving the narrative, the art is a bit blurry sometimes but still comfortable, and I have always supported the frienemist between Doom and Namor, I was saddened that it was never reignited after they "broke up" in secret wars, but seeing the Latverian ambassador defending Atlantis in the ONU from the attacks of USA bring me hope.
    Ah, what comic did this take place in?

Quote Originally Posted by K7P5V View Post
    Agreed. There's a difference between what Guice is doing compared to similar artists like Greg Land & Salvador Larroca.
    Coloring is really key as well. Whereas Land and Larroca usually get colored by Guru-eFX, who has a more rendered, photorealistic approach to coloring. Bettie Breitweiser's more stylized, flattened colors help keep it out of the uncanny valley.

I'll always wonder what Land's work would look like if they gave his work to a more interesting colorist

Quote Originally Posted by H-E-D View Post
    Coloring is really key as well. Whereas Land and Larroca usually get colored by Guru-eFX, who has a more rendered, photorealistic approach to coloring. Bettie Breitweiser's more stylized, flattened colors help keep it out of the uncanny valley.

I'll always wonder what Land's work would look like if they gave his work to a more interesting colorist
    I think Land could be a better artist if he didn't rely so much on what some call tracing. I think it's one of the tricks he uses to meet deadlines. It's not entirely unknown in the comics industry and I guess it's a fine line between photo referencing and using some of the new tech to help things along. Vince Colletta is reviled by a lot of Jack Kirby fans because he would remove some details in Kirby's work to meet a deadline. But that is exactly why Stan would use him to meet the deadline, which was a very serious thing in those days. Not like now, when we see delays in stuff.