Page 63 of 75 FirstFirst ... 135359606162636465666773 ... LastLast
    Amazing Member

Issue 2 was another damn good issue imo. I dont see this Doom as being out of character, but more the character having changed from going through all he has in the last few years.

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by spike1228 View Post
    Issue 2 was another damn good issue imo. I dont see this Doom as being out of character, but more the character having changed from going through all he has in the last few years.
    Totally agree. I think that is why you saw a lot of us Doom fans get pissed off when Slott went with a Doom that harkens back to the 1970s. I will continue to give Bendis credit with honoring Hickman's ending to Secret Wars by showing in Infamous Iron Man that Doom had realized he didn't want to go back to his old ways. Does he backslide from time to time? Sure, just ask Steve the news anchor

The estimated sales for Doctor Doom #1 came out today on ComicChron and Doom #1 was just under 60,000 and nosed out Batman #81 for the #23 spot. I was hoping for a top 20 ranking but this will do. We can expect it to drop a bit but I hope it reaches a steady level, like Infamous Iron Man. It leveled off at about 25,000 a month IIRC. Doctor Doom has gotten a lot of positive reviews so hopefull it will hold onto a significant amount of that 60,000.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    The estimated sales for Doctor Doom #1 came out today on ComicChron and Doom #1 was just under 60,000 and nosed out Batman #81 for the #23 spot. I was hoping for a top 20 ranking but this will do. We can expect it to drop a bit but I hope it reaches a steady level, like Infamous Iron Man. It leveled off at about 25,000 a month IIRC. Doctor Doom has gotten a lot of positive reviews so hopefull it will hold onto a significant amount of that 60,000.
    I'm happy with these numbers for the most part. 60k for a #1 isn't going to set the world on fire but it's a good showing in this current industry. Especially compared to the dismal performance of many other recent Marvel launches. Edging out Batman on the charts is just the icing on the cake, although I suspect it has more to do with the failure of that book then the quality of Doctor Doom in this instance. Regardless I hope to see Doctor Doom pass #12 this time but we'll just have to wait and see.

I hope that we get a solid year out of this too. I also hope that Cantwell stays on this title as long as possible. I realize that a film or TV project may take him away but right now he's doing 3 comics : The Mask, Everything and Doctor Doom. I recall that JMS was doing some film stuff when he worked for Marvel. He did the script for the Clint Eastwood film Changeling while he was on Thor IIRC.

I'm surprised about Batman because the longevity and consistency of the comic is why Diamond Comic Distributor uses Batman's sales record as part of their index calculator. Batman seems to be DC's bread and butter, with all of it's spin offs. On the index, Batman is always the 100.00 index. Doctor Doom's index is 100.71 so it is a bit higher. The leader in October was Hickman's X-Men #1 with a killer debut of 429.74 for the index

From their website: About the Diamond Sales Index: The Sales Index of selected monthly Best Seller Charts is presented as a comparative tool for retailers and publishers. It presents Diamond’s monthly sales for individual titles in relation to Diamond’s total sales for the issue of DC Comics' monthly Batman comic book. (Batman is used as the control title – with a value of 100 – because sales of Batman usually remain relatively stable.) This allows for easy comparison to other titles and helps retailers gauge their orders for all other titles. This formula is only a guide, other factors may impact a titles’ ability to sell in certain locations and clientele.

On another note, do you think maybe Lady Victorious had time to set Steve the news anchor free or hide him somewhere before the international forces came in? That wouldn't look good for Latveria and especially Doom

BANNED

On another note, do you think maybe Lady Victorious had time to set Steve the news anchor free or hide him somewhere before the international forces came in? That wouldn't look good for Latveria and especially Doom
    Hmm... good question. I bet that Steve was probably still hanging from the ceiling when the international forces arrived. It'd be hilarious if they walked straight under him and didn't notice. Most people don't look up if something is outside their normal field of vision.

Quote Originally Posted by Kintor View Post
    Hmm... good question. I bet that Steve was probably still hanging from the ceiling when the international forces arrived. It'd be hilarious if they walked straight under him and didn't notice. Most people don't look up if something is outside their normal field of vision.
    I think if the ceiling were high enough I could see that happening. Maybe they turned Steve loose, then they used the Rembrancer on him so that part was erased!

Quote Originally Posted by Kintor View Post
    As fun as I think would be seeing the soldiers walked straight under him and didn't notice I think that the attack was t quick to hide Steve. But at that point all were so angry at Doom that a little kidnapping could do very little to ignite more the hate.

But I'm afraid he could have been dead if the soldiers blown part of the castle, or maybe he is upside in some dungeon, maybe we will se him again.
    "And you eater of world. May you taste our righteous fire, And choke on it. For my planet's sake, I spit my last breath at thee"

Where the Diwatas and the Triumph Division live

Doom and Vader in the Line it is Drawn:

In honor of the debut of Disney Plus, we want you to merge together any two properties available on the streaming service.

originaldayfan suggested

Darth Vader and Doom meet at the shop when they both go in for an armor tune up.

Axel Medellin drew this one. His website is here.

Human Torch/Fantastic Four/She-Hulk/Disney Big Hero 6 /Tangled/G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero/Transformers G1 fanatic, Avatar-maker, and Marvel Moderator
    "一人じゃないから。" AI、『Story』。
    "ヒロ、お前を信じてる。" タダシ、『ベイマックス』。
    "You were my my new dream." "And you were mine." Eugene Fitzherbert and Rapunzel.
    "Knowing is half the battle."
    G.I. Joe.
    Know the CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

BANNED

It should be Doom and Palpatine on the whole. I mean yeah Vader has some similarities to Doom in terms of costume but essentially he's a slave of the Emperor and a flunky in the Imperial regime. Whereas Doom bows before no one.

That is so true. I've pointed that out before to others who compare them, esp when I used to post in the old Rumbles thread years ago. You'd never see Doom bend a knee before Palpatine. But don't remind me about Clyde Wyncham aka alleged Master of Doom. Bah!

BTW The new series is getting a pretty solid consensus of positive reviews.
    Last edited by Iron Maiden; 11-16-2019 at 11:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravin' Ray View Post
    Doom and Vader in the Line it is Drawn:

In honor of the debut of Disney Plus, we want you to merge together any two properties available on the streaming service.

originaldayfan suggested

Darth Vader and Doom meet at the shop when they both go in for an armor tune up.

Axel Medellin drew this one. His website is here.

This is so cute! I love that Mrs Potts is serving tea. Once again, We see that Doom enjoys a good dinner with interesting dinner companions. I've been trying to compile a collection of all of them, the latest being inviting Conan to dinner in Savage Avengers. Sometimes I think Doom's true avocation is running an inn or resort hotel. But I'm thinking his management style would be akin to Basil Fawlty's

Citizen of Atlantis ImperiusWrecked's Avatar

Ok so I read Doom 2099 (the old series) and I think I finally found a reference (although very small) to the "Lion of Latveria", Fortune holds a tarot card and on it is a Lion and woman holding the Lion's mouth shut, Fortune makes a reference that she is the woman holding the Lion's mouth and that Doom's history was a dark one but she should be able to control his darker side, meaning the Lion is representing Doom. Anyways I thought it interesting since the villains name was Tiger Wylde and so I thought Tiger vs Lion? Sorry this is the closet I got to finding this reference, still thank you to everyone for your help!

"No one should ever question where my allegiance lies." - Namor of Atlantis

This is so cute! I love that Mrs Potts is serving tea. Once again, We see that Doom enjoys a good dinner with interesting dinner companions. I've been trying to compile a collection of all of them, the latest being inviting Conan to dinner in Savage Avengers. Sometimes I think Doom's true avocation is running an inn or resort hotel. But I'm thinking his management style would be akin to Basil Fawlty's

Conan running around in modern Marvel is a bit confusing to me. Has he been pulled from the past or some alternate reality? Are the old Marvel Conan stories canon? Should Doom not be aware of Conan, or at least his time? I would imagine characters like Doom or Dr Strange would at least be aware of ancient sorcerers like Thoth-Amon or Thulsa Doom. Atlantean history is also tied up with Conan's history and world.

Quote Originally Posted by ImperiusWrecked View Post
    Ok so I read Doom 2099 (the old series) and I think I finally found a reference (although very small) to the "Lion of Latveria", Fortune holds a tarot card and on it is a Lion and woman holding the Lion's mouth shut, Fortune makes a reference that she is the woman holding the Lion's mouth and that Doom's history was a dark one but she should be able to control his darker side, meaning the Lion is representing Doom. Anyways I thought it interesting since the villains name was Tiger Wylde and so I thought Tiger vs Lion? Sorry this is the closet I got to finding this reference, still thank you to everyone for your help!

Good catch. I've not had a chance to look deeper but I feel sure that there may be a more recent reference. If I ever come across it, I will post it.

Citizen of Atlantis ImperiusWrecked's Avatar

Good catch. I've not had a chance to look deeper but I feel sure that there may be a more recent reference. If I ever come across it, I will post it.
    No worries if you can't find it, this whole quest was really just me trying to compile a list of Victor's nicknames and when I heard that one I was spurred on to search for it bc it sounded very interesting. If I do come across it I will def post it too! Thanks
    "No one should ever question where my allegiance lies." - Namor of Atlantis