Page 42 of 75 FirstFirst ... 3238394041424344454652 ... LastLast
    iMan 42s

Doom is in a fairly unique position given that most people know him for the disfigurement. While I would prefer a more modern take on that it does come with its benefits.

Having Victor disfigured enables them to employ the "Darth Vader" method of using a stand-in for the physicality and then dub over him. But on a narrative level it also allows some freedom with what Victor might look like under the mask and or how he sounds. Whether he's actually disfigured or has a scar can be up for debate until the reveal. And then you have the power that Doom can transfer his mind into someone else. Meaning that any potential time Victor is unmasked he could be anybody. And even then you have the Doombots which could look like virtually anything.

Doing it like Darth Vader would work here but especially for the sinister quality of it because you never know where and how Victor will show himself, and even if that's what he really looks like, disfigured or not.
    The buildup to Victor's full reveal can be glorious given that we might only get small snippets of his full power or that we never see the actual Victor. Meaning that the audience is left in anticipation and fear over what Doctor Doom actually is. If you ask me, that's also a great way of tackling the various incarnations Victor has had over the years. You can redesign Victor each film knowing it may or may not even be him.

While I don't think we need a big actor, I wouldn't be against Adam Driver as Doom.
    -----------------------------------
    For anyone that needs to know why OMD is awful please search the internet for Linkara' s video's specifically his One more day review or his One more day Analysis.

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Adam Driver would be a good casting choice if we only ever see him in flashbacks to his younger days in college. Another young actor who would work for Doom from that period is Aneurin Barnard, who played Richard III in the Starz mini series The White Queen. Whatever actor they cast would not get a lot of "face time" and I think either would work.

I guess they could always change it for the movies but Reed, Victor and Ben have been depicted as older than Tony, Bruce or Hank. Originally Reed and Ben were old enough to have served in WWII while Stark didn't and was from the Viet Nam war era. He was never in the military but was captured by the Viet Cong. So do you go with another older voice actor for Doom at some point? Should the intros of the FF and Doom involve flashbacks to the past or will you lose the audience if you go too far off into the weeds?

Sometimes I wonder if using the Byrne classic Terror in a Tiny Town to show where the FF and Doom have been and why they were unaccounted for in the early days of the MCU would be one path to take in the MCU. It would be kind of trippy to show them living in this artificial construct of their lives. But just as in the comics, the Puppet Master could turn on Doom and leave them all trapped there for a while.
    Last edited by Iron Maiden; 07-30-2019 at 02:46 PM.

Citizen of Atlantis ImperiusWrecked's Avatar

I honestly like the Doom from that old 1994 Fantastic Four movie, sure the movie wasn't a master piece but that Doom was more interesting to me than the other two Doom's. The actor really leaned into the role. Though the character in the comics has grown and changed by now, I just feel the actor should be someone who can embody the character. Also I strongly hope Marvel would build up to Doom and not rush him into the first movie they can. Also an unknown Romani Actor with a good voice would be my first pick, I can't really think of any who are super famous so it kinda like casting an unknown which would work in Doom's favor. Imo Marvel just shouldn't rush the character, build up the mystery would be more satisfying when Doom finally does appear.

"No one should ever question where my allegiance lies." - Namor of Atlantis

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    Ah, I went and bought the digital version of Marvels Epilogue #1 and now I see what you meant. I won't spoil it but it certainly is .... unusual. And I think it's an homage to similar appearance that was X-Men #98 by Dave Cockrum at the same location.

I agree that LaRocca is a good choice and I do like the style he used back in the days when he was doing the Fantastic Four . I took a peek at some of his work on the Star Wars titles and it does look pretty good except it sometimes looks a bit stiff at times.
    The cameo was unusual for sure.I found it to be way funny to see that cameo,that i had not even noticed by reading X-men#98 untill reading Marvels:Epilogue recently.
    Yeah,Larroca´s illustrations can look a bit stiff in some pages.Even so i would say the art style of Larroca´s is interesting in a Doctor Doom comic book.

I'm not sure everyone is so worried about where the FF was or why they weren't in the previous films. The world is a big place, Reed and the gang could have been doing their own thing during these years, and simply haven't become the "Fantastic Four" yet. IF you must have some sort of story as to why they weren't joining the Avengers, an interesting idea would to have them be an infamous case of missing scientists. Reed Richards and his crew mysteriously disappeared in 19whatever never to be seen again. Reed and the others return to earth, having been in other dimensions or the Negative Zone, unaware that they have been missing for decades. They become famous hero scientists who returned from beyond and have news of other life etc etc, and officially become the Fantastic Four. Upon returning they also discover the radiation or cosmic energy has affected them in strange ways now that they're home.

Doom, having quietly overthrown and ruled Latveria in recent decades, sees his old rival return and become famous, causing him to come out from behind the mysterious ,North Korea like, secrecy of his country and act on the larger world stage.

Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar

Iron Maiden!

I don't know if you saw this: Alex Ross is going to be signing his Marvelocity book at his art exhibit at the Dunn Museum in Libertyville, IL (just outside Chicago) on August 10th, 1PM-4PM.

https://twitter.com/thealexrossart/s...26744363798528

If you go, could you ask him if he's going to make prints of that Subby piece that didn't get into the book, please.

He also posted this prelim for his Doom piece.

Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

Thanks for the alert but I doubt I will be going there. It takes me through the horrible traffic near O'Hare Airport, which I really hate driving. If it were somewhere on the SW side, no problem. I know enough alternate routes to avoid the expressway. Oh well, maybe I will see if he makes an appearance closer to home some day.

Too bad Iron Maiden...

On the other hand it's a good opportunity to say Hi to you and Rev! I hope you both are fine!

I've been away from the boards quite a long time, but I couldn't help but notice that we'll have a Doom solo book soon : great news! And I think I like the story hinted by the solicits... So : so far so good.

(And I hope you're reading Hickman's current Marvel books... I like them A LOT!!! )
    - To Tammy and the Blue Rose !

Hi Abe. I hope you are having a great summer break! I have to admit I am behind in my reading and have to catch up with Hickman's books, even if it is the X-Men. Reed and Sue do have a cameo. Will Doom show up too for one? We can only hope.

Hi Abe. I hope you are having a great summer break! I have to admit I am behind in my reading and have to catch up with Hickman's books, even if it is the X-Men. Reed and Sue do have a cameo. Will Doom show up too for one? We can only hope.
    Hi Iron Maiden! Yes, the summer break is nice. At least it is long... I hope you'll enjoy some holidays too!

About Hicman's X-Men, I think it's gonna be quite mutant related. The FF were there, but my guess is that's because Franklin should play a part - maybe big, but I'm not sure. So I don't see yet where Doom could fit in this relaunch of the X-men. But it's of course brilliant imho, and it's really a treat to have to digest a big issue each week during a few months! Don't be too much behind and don't get spoiled too much!

About Victor - and Val... and the rest of the family in fact - I have given up hope on Slott's FF. I'll get next week issue and then will wait the trade if what I read about the next issue is appealing...

At least the new solo doesn't seem to be tied to that FF run. An alternative timeline is involved? I guess that's the best we could hope till the next time Vic becomes a god... ha ha (or Amara shows up again... )
    Last edited by Abe; 08-06-2019 at 02:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Abe View Post
    Hi Iron Maiden! Yes, the summer break is nice. At least it is long... I hope you'll enjoy some holidays too!

About Hicman's X-Men, I think it's gonna be quite mutant related. The FF were there, but my guess is that's because Franklin should play a part - maybe big, but I'm not sure. So I don't see yet where Doom could fit in this relaunch of the X-men. But it's of course brilliant imho, and it's really a treat to have to digest a big issue each week during a few months! Don't be too much behind and don't get spoiled too much!

About Victor - and Val... and the rest of the family in fact - I have given up hope on Slott's FF. I'll get next week issue and then will wait the trade if what I read about the next issue is appealing...

At least the new solo doesn't seem to be tied to that FF run. An alternative timeline is involved? I guess that's the best we could hope till the next time Vic becomes a god... ha ha (or Amara shows up again... )

I'm still ticked off that no one at Marvel has done anything with Amara. Just give it some kind of conclusion. Did she have the baby? Did she give it up for adoption? I mean, there are some possibilities to consider. She could be in danger from any of Doom's enemies. The child too. I'm afraid that Marvel is following a tactic I've seen over the years...they just hope that the fans forget all about it and then they don't have to do anything.

I know with this new series, it's probably not going to give Hickman an opportunity to use Doom. Just remember, If Hickman ever does a scene with Doom playing the piano, then I'm the one responsible! (if he remembers, that is ) I'm glad that someone proposed a news series for Doom that takes him out of his "comfort zone" . I liked Heroes Return stuff about Doom because Marvel sort of left him behind when all the heroes made the jump from Franklin's pocket universe back home again. He was left on his own for a bit and had to make new alliances....and some new enemies. I still miss Lancer from those days but I think she's dead.

Ha ha! I'm really eager to see that piano scene! Maybe we'll have to wait quite some time, but I could almost bet that it will happen someday!

Thanks for the alert but I doubt I will be going there. It takes me through the horrible traffic near O'Hare Airport, which I really hate driving. If it were somewhere on the SW side, no problem. I know enough alternate routes to avoid the expressway. Oh well, maybe I will see if he makes an appearance closer to home some day.
    I think he lives near Chicago, doesn't he? So you probably will have another opportunity. Far more than I will, at least.

Quote Originally Posted by Abe View Post
    Too bad Iron Maiden...

On the other hand it's a good opportunity to say Hi to you and Rev! I hope you both are fine!

I've been away from the boards quite a long time, but I couldn't help but notice that we'll have a Doom solo book soon : great news! And I think I like the story hinted by the solicits... So : so far so good.

(And I hope you're reading Hickman's current Marvel books... I like them A LOT!!!

Abe! Good to see you! Glad you are doing okay. Things on my end remain busy, but someday I might catch up. Don't laugh too hard. ;p

I've started the Hickman book and I'm sure I'll enjoy it -- though I think he's going to ignore the First MUTANT of the Marvel Universe. sigh. I was surprised to see the FF, and we know he loves Doom, so he might make an appearance. Especially if the fan theories about Franklin come true.

I'm still ticked off that no one at Marvel has done anything with Amara. Just give it some kind of conclusion. Did she have the baby? Did she give it up for adoption? I mean, there are some possibilities to consider. She could be in danger from any of Doom's enemies. The child too. I'm afraid that Marvel is following a tactic I've seen over the years...they just hope that the fans forget all about it and then they don't have to do anything.

I know with this new series, it's probably not going to give Hickman an opportunity to use Doom. Just remember, If Hickman ever does a scene with Doom playing the piano, then I'm the one responsible! (if he remembers, that is ) I'm glad that someone proposed a news series for Doom that takes him out of his "comfort zone" . I liked Heroes Return stuff about Doom because Marvel sort of left him behind when all the heroes made the jump from Franklin's pocket universe back home again. He was left on his own for a bit and had to make new alliances....and some new enemies. I still miss Lancer from those days but I think she's dead.
    And we appreciate you and your contribution, Iron Maiden!

At least Doom is getting a book, so hopefully the Amara situation will be addressed.
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

Namor is finally joining some games this year, including StrikeForce. This is the BEST image from StrikeForce I've found. It is done by Stefanoterry79, who is an associate Game Designer for Marvel Strikeforce.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B03zp-sh...on_share_sheet

That's hilarious. Taken right from an old Spidey children's comic IIRC?