Page 70 of 75 FirstFirst ... 2060666768697071727374 ... LastLast
Results 1,036 to 1,050 of 1120
    Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar

I can see it's time for my bi-weekly trip to the LCBS.

I also read somewhere that the Savage Avengers Doom issue was awesome. Will probably pick it up also.
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

Citizen of Atlantis ImperiusWrecked's Avatar

Cantwell knows his doom history, I really thought we would have a few issues in Hell, but I guess he has other things he wants to get on with and I wouldn't rule out a return trip maybe later. Great issue, and I can't wait for the next one my issue is:

spoilers:
    WILL DOOM KEEP HIS KICKASS NEW ARMOR? I really hope we get it later, because that was so cool. and also i really want there to be a "doom saves valeria and brings her out of hell and back to life" storyline but i hope that cantwell is seeding this for later, so my hopes for a return trip are high
    end of spoilers
    "No one should ever question where my allegiance lies." - Namor of Atlantis

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

I haven't gone to the comic book shop yet. They open about now. I will open up a spoiler thread when I have read it, unless someone else does it first

Quote Originally Posted by Reviresco View Post
    I can see it's time for my bi-weekly trip to the LCBS.

I also read somewhere that the Savage Avengers Doom issue was awesome. Will probably pick it up also.
    I picked this up too and I really liked this one now that Doctor Strange has been added. They're like the Three Amigos on a magical mystery tour or something. I was surprised to see Doom didn't know who Kulan Gath is so that is a little suspicious. We know Doom doesn't die so the ending is suspect to me. We know Doom is in the whole arc, at least on the covers anyway.

I liked the interaction between the 3 of them, and the little thing going on with Conan and the Cloak of Levitation. This is probably one of the few times when Doom really chowed down in front of someone, taking that big ol' turkey leg....Etiquette be damned

Quote Originally Posted by ImperiusWrecked View Post
    Cantwell knows his doom history, I really thought we would have a few issues in Hell, but I guess he has other things he wants to get on with and I wouldn't rule out a return trip maybe later. Great issue, and I can't wait for the next one my issue is:

spoilers:
    WILL DOOM KEEP HIS KICKASS NEW ARMOR? I really hope we get it later, because that was so cool. and also i really want there to be a "doom saves valeria and brings her out of hell and back to life" storyline but i hope that cantwell is seeding this for later, so my hopes for a return trip are high
    end of spoilers
    I really, really was shocked by that appearance and I totally agree. This needs to happen but just not now.

Quote Originally Posted by Kintor View Post
    This is quite an interesting scene, going by the preview at least. Still not sold on Conan being part of the modern Marvel universe though. It just feels wrong, even these 'Savage Avengers' are tame compared to Conan's world at its barbaric peak.

Anyway, suppose I should give my spoiler free run down of the other Doom books this week:

Spider-Man #35
    A solid issue for the most part. Clever twist with the assassin even if Doom's role in the story was minimal. It seems that more and more transhumanist concepts keep leaking into the Marvel universe. Stuff that would be ground-breaking even 10 years ago now only need one page of explanation to be accepted. We'll all be in 2099 for real before you know it.

Doom #3
    Great issue, any story involving Doom fighting his way out of hell is a win in my book. I just wish we got more pages of Doom in that new armour. Regardless, it looks like Doom is getting ready to finally take the initiative in this book. I can't wait for the body count to start rising.
    I really was expecting more from the ASM #35 part of this 2099 event. But it just kind of sits there. It does pick up on the conflict between Symkaria and Latveria so I suppose this could take place in that 6 week gap in Doctor Doom #1, before the Antlion Project was sabotaged. But this story really doesn't need Doom to appear. There is no meeting planned I guess between him and the Doom of 2099 so I don't get the point.

I was impressed with his takedown of Blue Marvel and I wonder if he got a brief power up from Mistress Death. Adam was blown threw half a dozen walls.

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    I picked this up too and I really liked this one now that Doctor Strange has been added. They're like the Three Amigos on a magical mystery tour or something. I was surprised to see Doom didn't know who Kulan Gath is so that is a little suspicious. We know Doom doesn't die so the ending is suspect to me. We know Doom is in the whole arc, at least on the covers anyway.

I liked the interaction between the 3 of them, and the little thing going on with Conan and the Cloak of Levitation. This is probably one of the few times when Doom really chowed down in front of someone, taking that big ol' turkey leg....Etiquette be damned

Oops... forgot about this one ! Seems like something needed in any tasteful collection...
    - To Tammy and the Blue Rose !

I think you will find this one entertaining, Abe! Artist Patrick "Patches" Zircher is a welcome return to Marvel.

Citizen of Atlantis ImperiusWrecked's Avatar

Savage Avengers was a great fun read! I'm sure Victor will be fine (he has his own ongoing so he will be ok, lol) and I don't read much Conan though I have him on my list of stuff to get, but I loved the dynamic between Strange, Doom, and Conan.

"No one should ever question where my allegiance lies." - Namor of Atlantis

Yeah, with Doom having his own series I'm not too worried about that. Just have to wait to see how they explain it away. I don't know of any Doombots that are programmed to eat human food. My favorite line in the book is where Conan gives props for Doom being "a magician with the heart of a warrior."...a spot on description! And Conan hates wizards and sorcerers.

Conan the Barbarian had a great run when Roy Thomas was writer and a terrific newcomer by the name of Barry Windsor Smith was doing the art. It's too bad Marvel doesn't have any of those on Marvel Unlimited. I also remember reading a REH Conan paperback or two since my oldest brother had bought those. They had those great Frank Frazetta covers. The Sword and Sorcery genre in comics faded away over the years but I believe there still are a lot of games in the genre
    Last edited by Iron Maiden; 12-07-2019 at 11:09 AM.

I found some previews for Doom 2099 #1 and I am more confused now that ever about this 2099 event. For one thing, when is all this taking place?

The desert like setting and Doom being almost naked reminds me of Chuck Dixon's Doom mini series where he is stranded on Franklin's Heroes Reborn planet. Only now he has amnesia and we see his scarred face. My question is does Franklin's planet, or Counter Earth II as Marvel later called it, still exist?

iMan 42s

Honestly I'm just not expecting it to be as good as the former Doom 2099. While I do like what I see so far out of the one shots, I'm still not sold on this universe since it's very existence tries to write off content that's leagues better than it. It's not to say that it hasn't been competent, but I'd much rather read the old books than I would the diet soda rendition of Marvel 2099. I'd honestly like to be wrong and it supersedes what came before it, but these reboots just aren't grabbing me.
    -----------------------------------
    For anyone that needs to know why OMD is awful please search the internet for Linkara' s video's specifically his One more day review or his One more day Analysis.

They're not doing it for me either. Since Doom 2099 #1 is written by Chip Zdarsky, I do have more faith in it turning out better than what I've read so far. I wonder if he will bring up the old riddle whether or not Doom 2099 was Erick Czerny?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by SuperiorIronman View Post
    Honestly I'm just not expecting it to be as good as the former Doom 2099. While I do like what I see so far out of the one shots, I'm still not sold on this universe since it's very existence tries to write off content that's leagues better than it. It's not to say that it hasn't been competent, but I'd much rather read the old books than I would the diet soda rendition of Marvel 2099. I'd honestly like to be wrong and it supersedes what came before it, but these reboots just aren't grabbing me.
    That 'diet soda' quip is a fairly apt description for this 2099 reboot over all. Most of these one-shots just lack that 90s edge that the original 2099 universe delivered so successfully and effortlessly. The one exception so far I would say is actually Ghost Rider 2099, the premise is near identical to the original version but it actually delivers on the level of gratuitous violence you'd expect from something so heavily influenced by the Terminator. I'd read more Ghost Rider 2099 but I can't say that about any of the other one-shots so far.

Besides that, I must admit that Doom 2099 is the one I'm most nervous about. Doom 2099 is arguably my favourite comic book run ever, those last few issues non-withstanding. A big part of that was the strong first issue, Doom 2099 #1 is a brilliant introduction and an amazing hook that gets you invested in the book as whole. There's no way this new one-shot can compete with that but if it still tells a decent story I'll be happy enough with the event. Although, I must say that the preview panels shown here don't exactly inspire confidence.
    Last edited by Kintor; 12-07-2019 at 08:48 PM.

Doom 2099 has such a high bar to meet that it is kind of doubtful that they can attain that level in Doom 2099 #1 and the finale (I guess) in 2099 Omega. Well, the cover looks good anyway

What I liked best about the 2099 series, and I mostly just read Doom 2099, is that it gave Doom a good supporting cast to interact with; Fortune (a descendant of faithful Boris), Poet, Wire, Vox and Margaretta Von Geisterstadt. After killing off some of John Francis Moore's cast (most notably Poet), Warren Ellis added some of his own with characters like John Herod and the Black Cabinet of Indigo Eshun, Sharp Blue and Morphine Summers. The one shot issue World of Doom as I recall was the title was a well done one shot that laid out the details of Doom's plans for the Corporate United States complete with his manifesto.

Kintor, I know what you mean about those last 2 Doom 2099 issues #43 and #44....the art was horrible! I think somehow the artist Jeff Lafferty changed the look of the book way too much. Too quirky with distortion of the figures, etc. It's a shame that John Francis Moore wrote those last 2 issues of the run, which are pretty good as I recall, but didn't get the proper visuals for them.