Page 31 of 75 FirstFirst ... 2127282930313233343541 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Cronus View Post
    I say we petition Hickman to write FF again.
    He's busy with HoX/PoX and the X-Men. The prospect of being the first writer since Stan Lee to write defining runs on the Fantastic Four, Avengers, and the X-Men is too big and juicy.

At the end of the day, either Doom will survive what Slott did to him or he won't. Doom was the protagonist of Secret Wars'84 and Secret Wars'2015 which sold more than Slott's run has. So it's no hairshirt.

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    He's busy with HoX/PoX and the X-Men. The prospect of being the first writer since Stan Lee to write defining runs on the Fantastic Four, Avengers, and the X-Men is too big and juicy.

At the end of the day, either Doom will survive what Slott did to him or he won't. Doom was the protagonist of Secret Wars'84 and Secret Wars'2015 which sold more than Slott's run has. So it's no hairshirt.
    Both of them were big events having to deal with the status of the marvel universe and one of the events took place at a time when a whole comic would cost a measly 75 cent, not really fair to compare it to Slott's run. Anyway Doom will survive.

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Flashback View Post
    Both of them were big events having to deal with the status of the marvel universe and one of the events took place at a time when a whole comic would cost a measly 75 cent, not really fair to compare it to Slott's run. Anyway Doom will survive.
    Yes, he will survive but IMO it is a mistake for Slott to have pretty much rolled Doom back decades in spite of the fact that Infamous Iron Man was well received by practically all reviews. I think to have him revert to creating death traps for the FF (I mean, when was the last time that happened?? Unthinkable? ) when it wasn't that long ago when he was teamed up with Ben and Johnny.

Don't get me wrong, I want there to be an ongoing Fantastic Four comic but I don't think Slott is going to be the one to create one worth remembering. He is too rooted in the past. This is why you see several people here (and I'm sure many more) want to see a writer like Hickman return to the title. Heck, I think they should have given Chip Zdarsky a chance. He did pretty well with MTIO with Ben and Johnny.

I like this page from the annual, where Victor tells Reed how he felt responsible for them since Reed chose not to reveal to them that he was still alive. He didn't trust them enough to keep that secret.

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    Yes, he will survive but IMO it is a mistake for Slott to have pretty much rolled Doom back decades in spite of the fact that Infamous Iron Man was well received by practically all reviews. I think to have him revert to creating death traps for the FF (I mean, when was the last time that happened?? Unthinkable? ) when it wasn't that long ago when he was teamed up with Ben and Johnny.
    Maybe this was an editorial mandate to make the character ready for eventual MCU synergy?

It should only be a matter of time until Doom appears there and then it will most likely be as he initially appeared in the comics, the number one villain in the Marvel universe.

Quote Originally Posted by Deleuzeyermind View Post
    BLINK BLINK is that a 1st series Legends Doom? that is still my favorite line and rendition.
    I think it is. I've had the larger one for a while now.....about 10 years at least.

Guess I am in the minority of Slott's run with Doom...I am sorry but while I liked the ending to Secret Wars with Doom getting his face healed...I also knew that it couldn't and shouldn't stick forever...Doom's look is too iconic to just simply go away, his classic armor...I got all the Infamous IM issues and was never a fan of him adopting the IM persona even to right his so-called wrongs...there are other ways for Doom to grow as a character but to go almost heroic is a bit much even for a Doom fanatic as myself (plus the artwork was not appealing at all)...I like when Doom is causing mayhem but he feels he is in the right...maybe it is a reversion, but issue 6 was a great issue of Doom's over the top dialogue, his big bang cannons (over the top and yet so Doom in terms of his genius), and causing the quartet problems...loved the idea of him siphoning off Galactus...just showing that a mere mortal can even topple a god...showcasing this to the galaxy was a great way to play up his ego....it was beautiful artwork...Doom will survive whatever people feel like has happened to him (I mean if he can come back from that godawful "Marquis" bowing to him storyline that Millar did, then he can survive anything...besides, I want to see Doom in classic form to coincide with his eventual MCU debut...

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. I can understand wanting to see the classic Doom return, at least in respect to the armor. I think we all expected him to give up the Iron Man mantle when Tony returned. I still advocate for a redesigned Doom armor though. But then it seems every artist is going to give it their own touches anyway. I liked the dark tones of the Infamous armor because it reminds me a bit of the Doom 2099 armor, except with the armor being more graphite colored instead of silver.

It's all right to want the classic Doom return but I think he was pwned pretty badly in this story, naturally because Slott wanted to make the FF shine. Having Doom forget Sue's power to make thing invisible is pretty flimsy. He should remember it slnce she made him crash right into a mountainside by turning it invisible when he had the Power Cosmic back in FF#60. Why couldn't he find the control mechanism of the various traps if it was right in front of him? Sue makes things invisible, not intangible. And going back to the old "Doom made some bad calculations" from the 1960s? Why could Reed tell there were power surges when he had no access to any kind of measuring device up in that cell.... but Doom couldn't detect them? That's just lazy writing IMO. You can want the old Doom back but for goodness sake, not a borderline incompetent Doom

Quote Originally Posted by myownlittleusername View Post
    Maybe this was an editorial mandate to make the character ready for eventual MCU synergy?

It should only be a matter of time until Doom appears there and then it will most likely be as he initially appeared in the comics, the number one villain in the Marvel universe.
    I think we're still at least a couple years away from seeing Doom in the MCU but at least we're closer than we were to it becoming a reality than we were 5 years ago. But I can see your point. I just wish they had done a better job of making the transition. Slott gives us nothing to show why he flipped the switch back to a version of about 15 years ago. Or even further if you have Reed pointing out some bad math again.
    Last edited by Iron Maiden; 05-18-2019 at 10:48 AM.

Just want to get back into the discussion/sharing of any Doom action figures eveyone has. Some of my favorites are the smaller scale figure that I have. I found this custom Lego Doom encased in a little display "case". They had also made small copies of comic book covers to place inside. One is the original cover of MSH #20 (Doom's first solo story) and a variant cover that came out using Lego Doom a few years ago. The little guy at the top is a TokiDoki Doom. I gave one to Jonathan Hickman in 2015 at C2E2. I forgot to ask if he still had it !

Here are all of my Doom miniatures. Two of them are toys that came out at the time of the Marvel Superhero Squad cartoon (I miss that show and the online game!) and one is a smaller metal figure which I believe came in a two pack with Reed (not pictured) I think that one is one of the better "classic" Dooms in spite of it's small size. It kind of reminds me of Buscema's drawings of Doom. I tossed in the Namor Superhero Squaddie too since there's never been a lot of figures made of him. The New Marvel Legends figure looks pretty cool though. I've seen him at Walgreen's too. Not pictured are the Squaddies of Galactus, the FF, and the Silver Surfer.

Last edited by Iron Maiden; 05-18-2019 at 10:58 AM.

Amazing Member

Those are dope. I like the Tokidoki doom.

Thanks! I was thinking of putting that Tokidoki Doom on my keychain but I didn't want to lose it somehow!

Citizen of Atlantis ImperiusWrecked's Avatar

Those Doom Figures are awesome, I'm looking to get a classic Doom figure and also the Infamous Doom one, all I have are Namor figures right now (5 of them) but I don't have that Super Hero Squad Namor.

I wanted to ask if you (or anyone): If you could get a chance to pick one storyline to adapt for a Doom focused movie, what would it be? How would your Intro into a Victor Von Doom movieverse go?
    "No one should ever question where my allegiance lies." - Namor of Atlantis

Quote Originally Posted by ImperiusWrecked View Post
    Those Doom Figures are awesome, I'm looking to get a classic Doom figure and also the Infamous Doom one, all I have are Namor figures right now (5 of them) but I don't have that Super Hero Squad Namor.

I wanted to ask if you (or anyone): If you could get a chance to pick one storyline to adapt for a Doom focused movie, what would it be? How would your Intro into a Victor Von Doom movieverse go?
    Obviously, Triumph & Torment. Heroically, Strange and Doom team-up to rescue Doom's beloved mother from Mephisto. It is truly an epic battle of magic and wits as they risk life and limb, and in the end... spoilers:
    they succeed. With his beloved mother out of harm's way, Doom is content and shifts his focus onto more pressing matters: conquering the MCU.
    end of spoilers
    Last edited by K7P5V; 05-22-2019 at 02:18 PM. Reason: Made a correction.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by K7P5V View Post
    Obviously, Triumph & Torment. Heroically, Strange and Doom team-up to rescue Doom's beloved mother from Mephisto. It is truly an epic battle of magic and wits as they risk life and limb, and in the end... spoilers:
    they succeed. With his beloved mother out of harm's way, Doom is content and shifts his focus on to more pressing matters: conquering the MCU.
    end of spoilers
    I agree. You need a lateral move to do Dr. Doom right. He's been introduced badly in three movies.

Dr. Doom is a sorcerer and a scientist. If you introduce him as a scientist right from the start it would be harder to explain him going into sorcery. So start with the sorcery because it ties into his origins, his connections with his mother, and his prophesied damnation. And Doom is sometimes enemy and sometimes ally. So you need to introduce him as a guy who you can briefly see as anti-hero, in context of MCU, a European Stark. So you need to show that, and then have his tragedy. So later when he becomes a villain and so on, you will have that tragic connection about seeing a guy lapsing to villainy but knowing he has a capacity for heroism in him.

You need like a 12 movie arc where Doom is sometimes the guy behind the scenes who funds other villains, sometimes gets in the faces of the Fantastic Four, gets in the face of Wakanda, maybe tries to recruit Spider-Man and funds the Sinister Six. Then you do a Secret Wars which mashes together the 1984 and 2015 versions and you get the ultimate damnation and salvation of Doom.

After you did a villain like Thanos who is this cosmic deity. You need to contrast him with a human villain. A human villain who basically step by step becomes more powerful than Thanos ever did. That's what Doom can be.

And going along with all of your suggestions, I always thought that the title of Kieron Gillen's Thor arc "Latverian Prometheus", is essentially how Doom's arc could be described for the MCU. But I'm not talking about using Gillen's plot but a young Victor who has a dangerous curiosity about gods and immortality. He could start his own independent research of Higg's boson or what we commonly know as the God Particle. Stephen Hawking has theorized that it could potentially destroy the known universe. Maybe this kind of real science can be tied into the Beyonders and a Secret Wars adaptation.
    Last edited by Iron Maiden; 05-21-2019 at 03:48 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    And going along with all of your suggestions, I always thought the title that the title of Kieron Gillen's Thor arc "Latverian Prometheus", is essentially how Doom's arc could be described for the MCU. But I'm not talking about using Gillen's plot but a young Victor who has a dangerous curiosity about gods and immortality. He could start his own independent research of Higg's boson or what we commonly know as the God Particle. Stephen Hawking has theorized that it could potentially destroy the known universe. Maybe this kind of real science can be tied into the Beyonders and a Secret Wars adaptation.
    There's a lot of beats to touch with Doom. He's a time traveler and his time platform totally works with the rules laid down in Endgame. So you can involve him and have him do all kinds of weird stuff. Like I don't know have him travel back in time and fight Downey's Tony Stark in a cameo and have them transported briefly to Camelot and so on.

When you adapt him in the Fantastic Four Sequel (obviously the first movie has to be sans Doom to get the team right) have them do Walt Simonson's fight with Reed across time and mash it with the attack on the Baxter Building, and also the bit with him and Marquis. And end it with him delivering Valeria. That's stuff you can do.