Page 64 of 72 FirstFirst ... 1454606162636465666768 ... LastLast
Results 946 to 960 of 1070
  1. #946
    Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Latverian Embassy
    Posts
    13,542

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ImperiusWrecked View Post
    No worries if you can't find it, this whole quest was really just me trying to compile a list of Victor's nicknames and when I heard that one I was spurred on to search for it bc it sounded very interesting. If I do come across it I will def post it too! Thanks
    You're welcome. I feel sure it's out there somewhere and one of us will find it one day. I'm pretty sure it goes back to maybe the early 2000's or so. Maybe as far back as Doom 2099 even.

  2. #947
    Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Latverian Embassy
    Posts
    13,542

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Doombot View Post
    Conan running around in modern Marvel is a bit confusing to me. Has he been pulled from the past or some alternate reality? Are the old Marvel Conan stories canon? Should Doom not be aware of Conan, or at least his time? I would imagine characters like Doom or Dr Strange would at least be aware of ancient sorcerers like Thoth-Amon or Thulsa Doom. Atlantean history is also tied up with Conan's history and world.
    I haven't had a chance to check into just how Conan is now alive in the current Marvel time. I wasn't interested in this title when it began and the first issues aren't on Marvel Unlimited yet. One review I read of the first issue just says the Conan was with another Avenger team as a result of time traveling but doesn't say where that happened.

    Now this looks like is a case of Marvel editors falling asleep at the switch. In this preview from Strikeforce #3, Wiccan says that Doom was married to his mom (they were engaged but the ceremony was halted by the Wolverine and some other Avengers) and that Doom hates him. That wasn't the case either, he just slapped a spell on him that made him think he lost his powers to keep him in line IIRC.




  3. #948
    Spectacular Member Coatl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Location
    México
    Posts
    170

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Doombot View Post
    Conan running around in modern Marvel is a bit confusing to me. Has he been pulled from the past or some alternate reality? Are the old Marvel Conan stories canon? Should Doom not be aware of Conan, or at least his time? I would imagine characters like Doom or Dr Strange would at least be aware of ancient sorcerers like Thoth-Amon or Thulsa Doom. Atlantean history is also tied up with Conan's history and world.
    As far as I remember he was pulled for the battle world from the Secret wars event, but I'm not sure since while I like the character, I'm not fan of the introduction of certain characters in the main universe. I think that there are characters that works fine in their own self contained universes not related to the main continuity and Conan was one of those, how they are going to handle all you mention is something I fear to think since is probably that instead of look for a coherent explanation they just brush all the issue under the rug.

    At same time and referring just about the picture presented, I don't have idea of what interest could have Doom in Conan, he is strong but not stronger that other characters who could work for Doom easily, not particularly intelligent or powerfull, so I don't see why Doom should be tolerating his threats and trying to invite him to dinner instead to just blow him to atoms for attacking his people. Are those two guys in the floor dead?

    Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    I haven't had a chance to check into just how Conan is now alive in the current Marvel time. I wasn't interested in this title when it began and the first issues aren't on Marvel Unlimited yet. One review I read of the first issue just says the Conan was with another Avenger team as a result of time traveling but doesn't say where that happened.

    Now this looks like is a case of Marvel editors falling asleep at the switch. In this preview from Strikeforce #3, Wiccan says that Doom was married to his mom (they were engaged but the ceremony was halted by the Wolverine and some other Avengers) and that Doom hates him. That wasn't the case either, he just slapped a spell on him that made him think he lost his powers to keep him in line IIRC.
    About Wiccan well maybe I'm not very just with the character (I really don't like him) but IMO he has been always a bit over dramatic and has a self serving memory. I don't have Idea of the context of the picture but I pretty sure that Doom doesn't hate him, if something he barely notices him, and the little attention he can get is nothing personal but comes from his powers since. As far as I remember in The children Crusade he was nothing but polite to him until the final confrontation where he was being aggressive against pretty much everyone because he was Doom and was angry. Said that I'm a bit worried about how Doom could be used i that series and I'm expecting that the body tied be revealed actually a Doombot.
    "And you eater of world. May you taste our righteous fire, And choke on it. For my planet's sake, I spit my last breath at thee"

  4. #949
    Keeper of the Torch Ravin' Ray's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Where the Diwatas and the Triumph Division live
    Posts
    5,795

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    One review I read of the first issue just says the Conan was with another Avenger team as a result of time traveling but doesn't say where that happened.
    Conan was brought to modern 616 Earth after the events of the Avengers: No Road Home event. Nyx, the Greek goddess of the night was the main villain. The first Avenger (during the event) he met was would-be Doom bride Wanda.

    Conan Joins Marvel's Avengers in No Road Home Event
    Human Torch/Fantastic Four/She-Hulk/Disney Big Hero 6 fanatic, Avatar-maker, and Marvel Moderator
    "一人じゃないから。" AI、『Story』。
    "ヒロ、お前を信じてる。" タダシ、『ベイマックス』。
    Know the CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

  5. #950
    Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Latverian Embassy
    Posts
    13,542

    Default

    Thanks for the information. He’s been in the present time of the MU a bit longer than I thought. Still it seems a bit goofy.

  6. #951
    Incredible Member Kintor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Posts
    961

    Default

    Some preliminary (spoiler free) thoughts on the relevant 2099 books.

    Spider-Man #34
    A much stronger showing for Doom. In fact, it's quite a Doom centric issue. If you can get past Spider-Man's unfunny one-liners then this issue is definitely worth a read. I think I'll get #35 and #36 to see where this story goes.

    2099 Alpha
    This issue serves as an introduction to the rebooted 2099 universe, so while there is less of a focus on Doom out of necessity his presence is felt on nearly every page. I do admit that Nick Spencer seems to have done his research, there's a lot of references to ideas from the original 2099 stories in the 90s. Anyone familiar with the final Doom 2099 issues before Warren Ellis took over should find the parallels here quite interesting.

  7. #952
    Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Latverian Embassy
    Posts
    13,542

    Default

    Thanks Kintor. My LCS will be opening a little later on and I have these on my pull list.

    Spencer is writing both of these and I think he has a pretty good handle on Doom. He was supposed to have that never published Victor Von Doom series with Becky Cloonan. That was the first time I ever saw a comic get promoted, with all covers completed and then never get to the comic shops. I loved how Doom had a small role in his Superior Foes of Spider-Man and the story of that infamous portrait that was floating around the underworld. It was the Owl's prized possession for a while. I think Doom got it back from the Beetle at the end.

  8. #953
    Incredible Member Kintor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Posts
    961

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    Spencer is writing both of these and I think he has a pretty good handle on Doom. He was supposed to have that never published Victor Von Doom series with Becky Cloonan. That was the first time I ever saw a comic get promoted, with all covers completed and then never get to the comic shops. I loved how Doom had a small role in his Superior Foes of Spider-Man and the story of that infamous portrait that was floating around the underworld. It was the Owl's prized possession for a while. I think Doom got it back from the Beetle at the end.
    Yeah, I think that Spencer has a talent for writing villains in protagonist roles. I really enjoyed his (controversial) run on Captain America: Steve Rogers and the early issues of Secret Empire. So I know that he'll treat Doom with respect as a character throughout. Even if the whole 2099 mini event is still going to be largely a Spider-Man story.

    Plus, I'm sure I've said as much before but I'd love to get my hands on that unfinished Doom book Spencer and Cloonan worked on. Something substantial has to exist out there somewhere. With so much already in place before the sudden cancellation you'd think a couple of issues were near completion and ready to go, with the rest of the story arc already mapped out.

  9. #954
    Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Latverian Embassy
    Posts
    13,542

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kintor View Post
    Yeah, I think that Spencer has a talent for writing villains in protagonist roles. I really enjoyed his (controversial) run on Captain America: Steve Rogers and the early issues of Secret Empire. So I know that he'll treat Doom with respect as a character throughout. Even if the whole 2099 mini event is still going to be largely a Spider-Man story.

    Plus, I'm sure I've said as much before but I'd love to get my hands on that unfinished Doom book Spencer and Cloonan worked on. Something substantial has to exist out there somewhere. With so much already in place before the sudden cancellation you'd think a couple of issues were near completion and ready to go, with the rest of the story arc already mapped out.
    It's really odd because if you dig back into the shipping lists on Diamond Comics Distributors, you can find it. And then it appears on the less frequently compiled cancellations. I think I saved those on but maybe on an old PC of mine.

    But here's the link to archived copies of shipping cancellations If you scroll down to the year 2011, it's in the month of December 2011. The really weird thing is if you just Google the title Victor Von Doom #1, you will find a link that takes you to the Marvel site and it has the covers for issue #1 -3. It even lists that planned release dates. I wonder if there are any inked or just pencilled pages by Becky Cloonan out there? Did she keep them or have to give them to Marvel? Curious situation IMO.

  10. #955
    Citizen of Atlantis ImperiusWrecked's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Location
    Atlantis
    Posts
    989

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    It's really odd because if you dig back into the shipping lists on Diamond Comics Distributors, you can find it. And then it appears on the less frequently compiled cancellations. I think I saved those on but maybe on an old PC of mine.

    But here's the link to archived copies of shipping cancellations If you scroll down to the year 2011, it's in the month of December 2011. The really weird thing is if you search the title Victor Von Doom #1, you will find a link that takes you to the Marvel site and it has the covers for issue #1 -3. It even lists that planned release dates. I wonder if there are any inked or just pencilled pages by Becky Cloonan out there? Did she keep them or have to give them to Marvel? Curious situation IMO.
    Honestly with three covers already done, im sure there must be something out there? i might just ask her in a tweet to see if she replies, I would love to have a look at it even if it is unfinished art for the series that, at this point, doesnt seem like it is ever going to be released.
    "No one should ever question where my allegiance lies." - Namor of Atlantis

  11. #956
    Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Latverian Embassy
    Posts
    13,542

    Default

    One would think that since it has been 8 years that by now any pages that came out would be irrelevant to any current story. It would be nice get an idea of what the first issue would have been like.

    Well, I haven't got much to say about Strikeforce #3 (written by Tini Howard and not a part of the 2099 crossovers) and Amazing Spider-Man #34 except spoilers:
    both stories feature the Doombot ploy. So I am disappointed with that
    end of spoilers

    2099 Alpha is the most interesting of the 3 and it does make me want to go back to my 2099 comics. I guess it is safe to say that this is the Doom 2099 from the John Francis Moore issues. The red and silver Presidential look comes in after issue #24. Maybe it's just me but the scenes here makes me think of the later phase though, when Doom had taken over the information island of Myridia in Doom 2099.

  12. #957
    Citizen of Atlantis ImperiusWrecked's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Location
    Atlantis
    Posts
    989

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    One would think that since it has been 8 years that by now any pages that came out would be irrelevant to any current story. It would be nice get an idea of what the first issue would have been like.
    I've had no reply as of yet, but also february cover previews are up! link



    "No one should ever question where my allegiance lies." - Namor of Atlantis

  13. #958
    Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Latverian Embassy
    Posts
    13,542

    Default

    Thanks for posting that. I thought it was about time the February roundup came out. It seems later than usual.

    Looks like Doom is going to be in a lot of stuff again and some of my takeaways are:

    • Chip Zdarsky is writing Doom again in issue #2 of the X-Men/Fantastic Four mini. I like that Terry Dodson is the artist on this
    • Doctor Doom and Doctor Strange continue to appear in Savage Avengers. I still wonder how that relates to current continuity but I guess next month's issue will tell us more on that.
    • Avengers of the Wasteland goes back to the Old Man Logan stuff, which we just saw in Old Man Quill. This was always an unexplored part of the Old Man Logan arc. We knew that Doom along with his wife Emma Frost, were given the Chicago/Midwest territory but never saw much of them.


    The Marvel Masterworks new release is very interesting and one that I have been waiting for. I read this along time ago but no longer have the single issues. My brother keeps ye old family comic book collection since it is pretty big. I forget how many long boxes he put them in after bagging and boarding everything. This is continuing the Masterworks for Spider-Man's Marvel Team up series which IIRC came to a halt after volume #4. I think this may have been held up because Killraven also appears in this arc. There may have been some legal issues to straighten out with the rights.

    Marvel Team up issues #41-44 is a time travel story (using Doom's time platform of course) with a ton of guest stars. Like Gerry Conway in Astonishing Tales #8, writer Bill Mantlo was one of the few writers at that time that chose to play up Doom's mystical talents. It is also one of the few times he teamed up with the Scarlet Witch prior to The Children's Crusade many years later.

    Also significant is that the Chris Claremont/Salvadore Larocca Fantastic Four will be getting it's own volume. This will include issue 16-32 and the Annuals 1999-2000. Claremont has always been disappointed that Marvel has never put this in a collection. This will give us the introduction of Valeria von Doom plus the Reed in Doom armor storyline. I will be getting this one and probably the MTU Masterworks too.

    Like this cover for Savage Avengers 10 by Valerio Giangiordano


  14. #959
    Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    The Sunless Realm
    Posts
    8,663

    Default

    Loving all the new covers! We got this one made into a poster. I put my order in a couple of weeks ago, but I think it's coming out in January? I like it, but I wish they had done the Bianchi one.

    Last edited by Reviresco; 11-22-2019 at 07:56 AM.
    ***Namor75 Celebration Threads***

    IMPERIUS REX FOREVER

  15. #960
    Mighty Member K7P5V's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Chicago, Illinois
    Posts
    1,740

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    Marvel Team up issues #41-44 is a time travel story (using Doom's time platform of course) with a ton of guest stars. Like Gerry Conway in Astonishing Tales #8, writer Bill Mantlo was one of the few writers at that time that chose to play up Doom's mystical talents. It is also one of the few times he teamed up with the Scarlet Witch prior to The Children's Crusade many years later.
    Agreed, Iron Maiden. There was hardly any interaction between the two, even though they were in close proximity to one another. But still a very interesting four-issue team-up written by the underrated Bill Mantlo.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •