Page 34 of 75 FirstFirst ... 2430313233343536373844 ... LastLast
    Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DoomScribe View Post
    Put in an inquiry for more info on the Dr Doom figure from Tiger J Customs. I will buy it because it's gorgeous, more than 2 ft tall, but no information on their website about what it's made of.

Will let you know when I hear back from them.
    DS
    It is hard to resist, isn't it? Unfortunately I lack the space for it. Looking forward to seeing it when you get it!

Citizen of Atlantis ImperiusWrecked's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DoomScribe View Post
    Put in an inquiry for more info on the Dr Doom figure from Tiger J Customs. I will buy it because it's gorgeous, more than 2 ft tall, but no information on their website about what it's made of.

Will let you know when I hear back from them.
    DS
    Oh yes! Let us know, I'm really impressed with the chain mail that I see peaking out beneath the armor in addition to just about everything else.

edit:
    That won’t be out for another 6 months or so

It is a statue but has multiple switch outs for different poses. The cost is $2100 USD. Let me know

Sincerely,

Todd Johnson
    http://www.specfictionshop.com
    info@specfictionshop.com

the cape is sculpted not fabric
    Oh wow, that is very expensive. At least you are able to change the position on it. Still a lovely figure.

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    The link says $1,500. I'm surprised it's not more. The design done is so intricate I find myself looking at it a lot too! Just looking at those crescent shapes on the belt for example, or just the belt itself! The arm piece and gauntlets too.

Here's what I have put out for display (sorry about the glare on the glass) But I ran out of room for my full figure Bowen Designs Doom and Galactus Bust. They're boxed up for now I've not found a display case I want to switch to yet. It will have to have a tall shelf for the Doom full figure. Above the cabinet is a Gabriele Del Otto signed print I got from eBay a while back. The smaller prints I got from an artist's booth at C2E2 about 4 years ago. On the left is a stained glass Fantastic Four and the other a small portrait of Doom. His name is Rogan Josh and is site is modhero.com. The larger versions were sold out at his booth and only the 6x4 sizes were left. I may get the larger print at his etsy store or there is a really cool Doctor Strange shirt there.
    Love the collection! That art is wonderful too! Doom looks so menacing there.
    Last edited by ImperiusWrecked; 06-03-2019 at 04:02 PM.
    "No one should ever question where my allegiance lies." - Namor of Atlantis

Thanks IW! I like the Dell Otto print because of the subject matter....we just see Ben approaching Doom but not his full figure. Right away you think there's a big brawl coming up! I haven't expanded my collection of statues since Bowen had stopped making them but I think there were plans for a company restart.

Other then the Ultimate Fantastic Four (Mark Millar's run is so under rated) I never truly read any good Doctor Doom stories. I did read the Mark Millar run which ended with a Doctor Doom story and I loved it. Since I've been an Avengers reader, Doom has NOT been part of any of the runs. I mostly know Doctor Doom from various 80's cartoons. I have read some other stories he's been involved with. Young Avengers the Children's Crusade, and Doom War where he tried to steal all the vibranium. I'm pretty sure I know enough of who Doctor Doom is tho. I've also Wikipedia'd him so I know as much as Wiki has posted about him. I really fell in love with him from reading Secret War. I'm sympathetic for him actually. People don't realize why Doom is such the ****. It's because he's as smart as Reed Richards, has an equally powerful suit of armor that Iron man has, and is a very very close number 2 in magic behind Dr. Strange. He's basically 3 Marvel heroes in one. I loved Secret Wars. I'm a fan of taking a villain and having making them a hero. Magneto, Lex Luthor, and I thought Infamous Iron Man was one of the best written books when it was being released. When Doom was fighting Mr. Fantastic, and said to himself pretty much after Reed told him that if he had the powers of a god he'd do better then Doom. After Reed told Doom he didn't hate Doom, he was just disappointed in him because with everything that Doom is, he doesn't use his talents the way Reed thinks he should. Doom agreed and said Reed would have been a better god, and Mr. Miracle heard him and took the god powers from Doom and gave them to Reed. In the end, the way Reed proved to Doom everything he EVER preached to Doom, was he did the one thing Doom couldn't do, even as a god. Fix his own face. Reed fixed Dooms face, and Doom laughed because that was the moment Reed Richards proved to Doom he was superior. Doom could only laugh at that because he was humbled, but he took Reed's word, and that's when he became Iron Man. That story has ended and I'm unhappy about it. I wanted to see other people write Doctor Doom as a hero because it would have been so interesting. It worked for decades with Magneto and the readers understood it. In DC Lex Luthor did it for a while and the readers got used to it and enjoyed it.

iMan 42s

At the end of the day, Marvel writers wasted opportunity after opportunity.

I'm still more salty about the waste of Pymtron, but Infamous Iron man was a tragedy with all the potential that got chucked out the window. I still don't get that and would probably get banned from Slott's twitter if I dare question this guy's logic. Just utterly fascinating at the failure to make it work for the safety of status-quo.

I mean, at least statistically their is bound to be better fits for Doom among Marvel's writers.
    -----------------------------------
    For anyone that needs to know why OMD is awful please search the internet for Linkara' s video's specifically his One more day review or his One more day Analysis.

So in a nutshell, what happened with Pymtron? I've been scaling back a lot of my Marvel titles because I find myself losing interest. Poor Hank, I think his is the case of the internet being merciless. A lot of online opinion about him just won't forget "The Slap", which should not have happened. The artist misinterpreted how that scene was to play from what I've read.

As for Infamous Iron Man, I'll never accept that there was no other way for Slott to write him just because the Fantastic Four are back. As for the rest of Marvel's writers, who do you think would have done a better job of balancing the changes we've seen in Victor in "Infamous" and his "reunion" with the Fantastic Four? I liked what Chip Zdarsky was doing in Marvel Two in One and then Victor just disappears. Remember how he was chasing after Rachna after she grabbed the multisect? We never saw what happened after that. How did he get back to Earth Prime? Did I miss something in another title? Stuff like that bothers me.

And speaking of reunions, why did Slott not have any scenes of Val and her Uncle Doom? Obviously, he didn't want to explore that relationship but one wonders if the decision is entirely on him or do you go back to Tom Brevoort?
    Last edited by Iron Maiden; 06-04-2019 at 11:31 AM.

iMan 42s

Zdarksy was alright and I would've been fine with it had Bendis stayed. Ewing to me would be a good choice but I'd be more than willing to see Hickman tackle Doom again. Given their respective works on Darth Vader, if Soule or Gillen could channel that into Victor, I'd be fine with that.
    Just handing it off to the guy who is that firmly entrenched in marketable status quo (the "classic") and is known for killing ideas as much as characters was a fascinatingly wrong decision.

In regards to Hank;
    -He accidentally got his body fused with Ultron via Vision on Titan which created Pymtron. The composite entity in horror of what it had done retreated into space with its army of robots shutting down finally learning to love himself seeing as Hank and Ultron share a brain and now do literally.
    -Pymtron (Uncanny Avengers) as a result goes around the galaxy slaughtering alien populations whom trust Ultron's word that the Avengers are responsible rather than the genocidal robot that was a Galactic threat only a few in-universe years prior. He does this so that upon returning to Earth he can buy the Avengers trust in defending them rather than just reveal he is alive.
    -He sits a lot out in the arctic where he tries to be high and mighty about not getting into fist fights among his friends when his friends all but abandoned him long ago, and that being exactly what he did when he came back.
    -Ultron then gets involved with Infinity ______ (Countdown?) and Hank's soul is devoured inside the soul stone

It's like Marvel writers tried to ignore the setup of Rage of Ultron and needed a jobber.
    -----------------------------------
    For anyone that needs to know why OMD is awful please search the internet for Linkara' s video's specifically his One more day review or his One more day Analysis.

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyjam2233 View Post
    Other then the Ultimate Fantastic Four (Mark Millar's run is so under rated) I never truly read any good Doctor Doom stories. I did read the Mark Millar run which ended with a Doctor Doom story and I loved it. Since I've been an Avengers reader, Doom has NOT been part of any of the runs. I mostly know Doctor Doom from various 80's cartoons. I have read some other stories he's been involved with. Young Avengers the Children's Crusade, and Doom War where he tried to steal all the vibranium. I'm pretty sure I know enough of who Doctor Doom is tho. I've also Wikipedia'd him so I know as much as Wiki has posted about him. I really fell in love with him from reading Secret War. I'm sympathetic for him actually. People don't realize why Doom is such the ****. It's because he's as smart as Reed Richards, has an equally powerful suit of armor that Iron man has, and is a very very close number 2 in magic behind Dr. Strange. He's basically 3 Marvel heroes in one. I loved Secret Wars. I'm a fan of taking a villain and having making them a hero. Magneto, Lex Luthor, and I thought Infamous Iron Man was one of the best written books when it was being released. When Doom was fighting Mr. Fantastic, and said to himself pretty much after Reed told him that if he had the powers of a god he'd do better then Doom. After Reed told Doom he didn't hate Doom, he was just disappointed in him because with everything that Doom is, he doesn't use his talents the way Reed thinks he should. Doom agreed and said Reed would have been a better god, and Mr. Miracle heard him and took the god powers from Doom and gave them to Reed. In the end, the way Reed proved to Doom everything he EVER preached to Doom, was he did the one thing Doom couldn't do, even as a god. Fix his own face. Reed fixed Dooms face, and Doom laughed because that was the moment Reed Richards proved to Doom he was superior. Doom could only laugh at that because he was humbled, but he took Reed's word, and that's when he became Iron Man. That story has ended and I'm unhappy about it. I wanted to see other people write Doctor Doom as a hero because it would have been so interesting. It worked for decades with Magneto and the readers understood it. In DC Lex Luthor did it for a while and the readers got used to it and enjoyed it.
    First of all, welcome to our little corner of the forum. Be sure to check out the first page of this thread, which has a pretty thorough list of Doom stories through the years. Secret Wars is one of my top Doom stories and also the best Reed vs Doom encounter. What Bendis did in Infamous Iron Man was the logical progression to Doom's story and many here including myself share your feelings about the series. How could Doom not be changed in some profound ways after all of that....the incursions, the task of being a serial killer of one man as he put it, the Molecule Man in order to thwart the mad plan of the Beynders to destroy everything. I know I'm not the only one that felt that Slott really dropped the ball in his Fantastic Four story.

I notice you said that you enjoy stories that take a villain and make them a hero. And it's frequently said that the best villains see themselves as the hero in their story. Stan and Jack do this fairly early on in those early days of the Marvel Universe. But if you've not explored those silver age comics, just know that there is a lot of inconsistency too. For example Stan and Jack don't even agree about Doom's face....Stan sticks with the horrifically scarred version while Jack would start to propose the single small scar idea instead. But when they get around to doing Doom's origin in Fantastic Four #2, it is a surprisingly sympathetic one. In 1969 Doom would get his solo shot in Marvel Superheroes #20, written by Stan's brother Larry Lieber with an assist by Roy Thomas. This would lead to Doom getting his first solo series in Astonishing Tales, which concludes a bit abruptly with issue #8 that tells the story of how Doom has this annual battle with demons and worse for his mother's soul. So anyway, my point is that there was a push early on to allow for some definite shades of gray to Doom's character. I hope someone goes back to that version of Doom that Bendis was writing in Infamous Iron Man.

I finally read Books of Doom (digitally.. come on Marvel give us a reprint already!!) and while I've never really been into F4 before I (only read Doom through crossovers or events), I can now see why Doom is so loved by you all here. Can't wait to dig into more stories!
    None of you seem to understand, I'm not locked in here with you, you're locked in here with me..

Where the Diwatas and the Triumph Division live

Quote Originally Posted by Reviresco View Post
    OMG!

That's gorgeous and well worth the price, I'm sure ... but also well beyond my means right now.
    My reaction too! Love it.

BTW, any news on this guy? From the preview for FF: 50 Fantastic Years at Comixology

Human Torch/Fantastic Four/She-Hulk/Disney Big Hero 6 /Tangled/G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero/Transformers G1 fanatic, Avatar-maker, and Marvel Moderator
    "一人じゃないから。" AI、『Story』。
    "ヒロ、お前を信じてる。" タダシ、『ベイマックス』。
    "You were my my new dream." "And you were mine." Eugene Fitzherbert and Rapunzel.
    "Knowing is half the battle."
    G.I. Joe.
    Know the CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

I don't think I've seen any follow up on the Doomsman in all these many years, Ravin' Ray

Quote Originally Posted by Batmil View Post
    I finally read Books of Doom (digitally.. come on Marvel give us a reprint already!!) and while I've never really been into F4 before I (only read Doom through crossovers or events), I can now see why Doom is so loved by you all here. Can't wait to dig into more stories!
    Greetings and welcome, Batmil. I really liked Brubaker's Books of Doom also. Did you also know that according to reports, Noah Hawley's script for a Doom solo movie for Fox seems to influenced by Brubaker's work.

At the SXSW panel, Hawley also offered a few insights on the content of his script, with THR relaying the following details:

It begins with Doom putting a dome over Latveria, the fictional European country he rules. He later invites a female journalist to be his voice to the world, meaning its protagonist would be someone without superpowers.
    Be sure to check out the first page of this thread for more reading suggestions. Do you think you'd prefer "classic" Doom stories or some of the recent works?

Where the Diwatas and the Triumph Division live

Do you think you'd prefer "classic" Doom stories or some of the recent works?
    There's also the occasional humor/comedy issue (serious Doom fan approval is another matter):

The Impossible Man Summer Vacation Spectacular (1990-1991) #1

The Impossible Family is on vacation! Can Earth handle the madcap energy of not one but a DOZEN Poppupians?? Doctor Strange and Spider-Man are nearly driven insane! Doctor Doom is most unamused by the Impossible Kids! And Impossible Woman derails Janet Van Dyne’s fashion show!
    Human Torch/Fantastic Four/She-Hulk/Disney Big Hero 6 /Tangled/G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero/Transformers G1 fanatic, Avatar-maker, and Marvel Moderator
    "一人じゃないから。" AI、『Story』。
    "ヒロ、お前を信じてる。" タダシ、『ベイマックス』。
    "You were my my new dream." "And you were mine." Eugene Fitzherbert and Rapunzel.
    "Knowing is half the battle."
    G.I. Joe.
    Know the CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

I had almost forgotten about these stories. A while back my LCS had a sale on some TPBs and I picked up the collected version of Impossible Man stories. The Doom story is kind of cute. A bunch of Popupians (not sure what to call a bunch of Impy's fellow residents of his home planet) take over Doom's armor, thinking it's a clubhouse. The only thing is Doom is still wearing it. That's got to be an uncomfortable situation.... and awkward. They get a view of Doom that few if any have seen. He gets rid of them by finding a new clubhouse......Iron Man!

I don't think I've seen any follow up on the Doomsman in all these many years, Ravin' Ray

Greetings and welcome, Batmil. I really liked Brubaker's Books of Doom also. Did you also know that according to reports, Noah Hawley's script for a Doom solo movie for Fox seems to influenced by Brubaker's work.

Be sure to check out the first page of this thread for more reading suggestions. Do you think you'd prefer "classic" Doom stories or some of the recent works?
    Thank you for the warm welcome! I'm really hoping that they pull off a good Doom movie. I myself am more of a modern reader, I will check the front page out. What are your favorite modern Doom stories?
    None of you seem to understand, I'm not locked in here with you, you're locked in here with me..

Quote Originally Posted by Batmil View Post
    Thank you for the warm welcome! I'm really hoping that they pull off a good Doom movie. I myself am more of a modern reader, I will check the front page out. What are your favorite modern Doom stories?
    You're welcome, Batmil. I really hope that whoever ends up doing the Doom movie does the character justice this time. I have confidence in Kevin Feige putting together the right combination of casting, script and director/producer. The Russo brothers are very interested in doing something with Doom. But most likely that is at least 3 - 5 years down the line. Marvel Studios has other projects schedule and the Russo brothers are taking a bit of a break from the MCU to work on other projects.

As to other "Books of Doom", I'm going to go way back to the Stan Lee/Jack Kirby era. I don't think anyone would question that Stan and Jack are the co-architects of the character. His early appearance prior to Fantastic Four annual #2 are a bit inconsistent. There is no indication that Doom is anything but an American. He even tries to force JFK into making him a member of his cabinet. (Fantastic Four #17) You can check out those early issues, particularly if you join the Marvel Unlimited. They have frequent one month trial subscriptions and I think Comixology is running one now.

FF annual #2 is where Stan and Jack really get into the business of giving Doom a proper origin so I would say you should check that out. Before the digital age, that was like the Doom Holy Grail got me because it was difficult to find. Comic shops in my area didn't always have a deep back issue stock. But I eventually found one.

I'd also check out the Doom solo's of the Silver Age and that would be Astonishing Tales and Super-Villian Team Up. Again, the quality is inconsistent but I'd check out all the issues anyway. I'd say the better SVTU issues are done by Bill Mantlo. For Astonishing Tales, the best issues IMO are the last 2 written by Gerry Conway (who was only about 19 at the time) and the late great Gene Colan. This would be issues #7 and #8. Issue #8 is a little jewel of a story done by them called Though Some Call it Magic and is the inspiration for the Triumph and Torment GN by Roger Stern and Mike Mignola

Stan and Jack's run has 3 more Doom arcs after the origin. They would be FF #39-40 where the FF have lost the powers and have to face a ticked off Doom who's looking for some payback from a trick Reed played on him in the annual. Then there are their final two arcs where Doom steals the powers of the Silver Surfer (#57-60) and the Fantastic Four's mission to Latveria in issues 84-87

The FF run from the end of the Lee/Kirby era has several Doom arcs but the one I like the best has a long build up from around #193 and ends in #200.

I would read anything from from the John Byrne era of the Fantastic Four. I think he does a great job in building Doom back up again after the events of issue #200.

In the middle of this is the original Secret Wars by Jim Shooter. I like how this is a part of building up Doom as someone who fearless steps out of his league to take on these powerful entities of the Marvel Universe.

I'd skip Steve Englehart's Fantastic Four run and go to Walt Simonson's. There's a great Reed vs Doom story in issues #350 and #352 (issue #351 is a filler issue....don't know what happened there)

Another exceptional Doom story is the graphic novel Doctor Strange/Doctor Doom: Triumph and Torment. In a perfect world, this would be a great Doctor Strange film that would introduce us to Doom, even though he is primarily known to comic book fans as the key FF villain. The second Doom GN Emperor Doom by Michelinie and Bob Hall is not in the same caliber but it's a interesting to see their take on how the world would be if Doom were in charge.

The time travel story in Iron Man #149-150 is great fun IMO. Bendis obviously liked this issue a lot because he made several reference to it when Doom appeared in his Mighty Avengers run and later in Infamous Iron Man.

Definitely try out Doom 2099 if you can find some back issues. Unfortunately, Marvel hasn't added it to Marvel Unlimited. The first writer on the series was John Francis Moore. Later some new young British writer named Warren Ellis come on board in issue #24 His work in collected in a recent TPB.

Well that will take you through to the 1990s at least. But there's more good stuff out there!