Page 57 of 75 FirstFirst ... 74753545556575859606167 ... LastLast
    BANNED

In honour of Doctor Doom #1 releasing tomorrow I think this is a good opportunity to highlight an aspect of Doom lore often overlooked - music. Comics by their very nature lack sound, you'll never hear a triumphant orchestra or ominous synth work coming from the page but artists in other mediums have sought to give Doom some fitting theme music.

It's true that Doom never appeared in the MCU and those Fantastic Four movies are a joke but that's not important here. In the 90s the Japanese video game developer Capcom entered into a partnership with Marvel to create several fighting games, based on the 2D Street Fighter gameplay style, featuring iconic Marvel characters. One of the first was 1995's Marvel Super Heroes, notably because it included Doctor Doom as the penultimate boss fight at the end of the game.

Marvel Super Heroes also gave us this music:

Arguably this is the most memorable track in the game. All synth, powered by an arcade circuit board but nevertheless delivers a theme worthy of Doom. Any player skilled enough to get this far would have to face Doom underwater in a high tech submarine. That low beat in the background is meant to mimic the sonar ping of the submarine. Beyond that it's an intense and intimidating piece of music, grand and unforgiving because you're not fighting a mere street brawler anymore, you're fighting for survival against one of the greatest villains of all time.
    Last edited by Kintor; 10-08-2019 at 12:56 AM.

BANNED

The track was so good that Marvel revisited it again in 2011 with Marvel vs. Capcom 3 Fate of Two Worlds:

What a difference 16 years can make. No longer constrained by the limitations of 90s hardware Capcom's composers delivered a synth orchestra that goes far beyond the original track. It's really symphonic metal, louder and angrier but at the same time melodic and triumphant. Yet as other gamers have noted, the track is now also undeniably heroic. Dark and threating but in a 'do what must be done' kind of way, fitting since Doom became a playable character and not just a boss. This theme would have you believe that Doom is the true hero of the story, even if nobody else but you the player would listen.

That's the power of a good theme. Even now I associate this track with Doom more than any other piece of music. Honestly, I'll have this playing on a loop when I first flick through Doctor Doom #1 tomorrow. But I'm curious, what do you think? Does this music sound like Doom to you?
    Last edited by Kintor; 10-08-2019 at 12:39 AM.

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kintor View Post
    The track was so good that Marvel revisited it again in 2011 with Marvel vs. Capcom 3 Fate of Two Worlds:

What a difference 16 years can make. No longer constrained by the limitations of 90s hardware Capcom's composers delivered a synth orchestra that goes far beyond the original track. It's really symphonic metal, louder and angrier but at the same time melodic and triumphant. Yet as other gamers have noted, the track is now also undeniably heroic. Dark and threating but in a 'do what must be done' kind of way, fitting since Doom became a playable character and not just a boss. This theme would have you believe that Doom is the true hero of the story, even if nobody else but you the player would listen.

That's the power of a good theme. Even now I associate this track with Doom more than any other piece of music. Honestly, I'll have this playing on a loop when I first flick through Doctor Doom #1 tomorrow. But I'm curious, what do you think? Does this music sound like Doom to you?
    Everyone has their own tastes and it does have some interesting segments but too much synth going on for my tastes. But understandable since game companies probably don't use old methods and resort to the more modern sounds. But I like this idea of how we see Doom through music.

IMO when it come to music Doom is old school and demands a full symphony orchestra! I lean towards the classic when it comes to film scores. One of my favorite film composers is Bernard Herrmann and I sometimes would read comics while listening to his score from Brian de Palma's "Obsession". He died before the film was released IIRC. His last works were this score and Taxi Driver. Both were nominated for the Oscar and Taxi Driver won the Oscar. But this one is one of my favorites. Its both darkly romantic and ominous in tone

I love how Herrmann combines strings, organ and then a choir at times.

Last edited by Iron Maiden; 10-08-2019 at 11:45 AM.

So tomorrow is the big day!

I think I'll try to buy three copies : regular, MJ and Deodato variants if I can.

And as a Doom solo I will probably enjoy (almost) every page as if I were reading this noble Latverian thread. And be quite impatient for what's coming next...

Let's pray it's a real on-going, my friends!
    - To Tammy and the Blue Rose !

Quote Originally Posted by Abe View Post
    So tomorrow is the big day!

I think I'll try to buy three copies : regular, MJ and Deodato variants if I can.

And as a Doom solo I will probably enjoy (almost) every page as if I were reading this noble Latverian thread. And be quite impatient for what's coming next...

Let's pray it's a real on-going, my friends!
    Hi Abe!
    I certainly hope so. May the sales stay strong! I do love that Deodato variant too so I will see what's in the shop tomorrow. I just committed to one on my pull list but that thought about it again the other day. If he doesn't have a variant, there's a few more shops I can go to.

Where the Diwatas and the Triumph Division live

This week's pull list kicks off with Doctor Doom #1 and we get a couple of panels with a surprise (or not) guest villain!

Human Torch/Fantastic Four/She-Hulk/Disney Big Hero 6 /Tangled/G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero/Transformers G1 fanatic, Avatar-maker, and Marvel Moderator
    "一人じゃないから。" AI、『Story』。
    "ヒロ、お前を信じてる。" タダシ、『ベイマックス』。
    "You were my my new dream." "And you were mine." Eugene Fitzherbert and Rapunzel.
    "Knowing is half the battle."
    G.I. Joe.
    Know the CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Wow...,I am surprised by that guest appearance. Wasn't really expecting him. Thanks Ray!

Where the Diwatas and the Triumph Division live

A reunion between them is long overdue. Can't wait to see how they'll interact.
    Human Torch/Fantastic Four/She-Hulk/Disney Big Hero 6 /Tangled/G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero/Transformers G1 fanatic, Avatar-maker, and Marvel Moderator
    "一人じゃないから。" AI、『Story』。
    "ヒロ、お前を信じてる。" タダシ、『ベイマックス』。
    "You were my my new dream." "And you were mine." Eugene Fitzherbert and Rapunzel.
    "Knowing is half the battle."
    G.I. Joe.
    Know the CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Buying the digital copy and the original and variant (if available) at my comic shop!
    "Sir, does this mean that Ann Margret's not coming?"
    ----------------------
    "One of the maddening but beautiful things about comics is that you have to give characters a sense of change without changing them so much that they violate the essence of who they are." ~ Ann Nocenti, Chris Claremont's X-Men.

BANNED

Some preliminary thoughts, having read the issue. Definitely off to a strong start, Doom is in equal measures noble and capricious in his mannerisms, successfully carrying the story. The true test of this book will come in #2 though, as we see if this shake-up of Doom's status quo manages to stick the landing.

Without spoiling any of the plot, one of my favourite moments is:
    spoilers:
    The full page panel of Doom writing in his study, with no dialogue or captions present. It’s not often you see something truly contemplative in a comic book. Yet this image says so much about Doom’s character, a small glimpse into his private world beyond the public face of Latveria’s monarch.
    end of spoilers

Amazing Member

After picking up todays issue #1, along with the 4 other variants for it, and a digital copy, I must say I absolutely loved it. I hope that it continues to be as strong as this issue was.

Citizen of Atlantis ImperiusWrecked's Avatar

RIP to Steve the Anchor man, he really should have known better XD. Loved this issue, and can't wait for more. I really enjoyed alot of scenes from it and it was just so great to see spoilers:
    Boris and Victor placing bets and knowing each other so well. Doom in his study and speaking with Kang is the highlight for me.
    end of spoilers
    "No one should ever question where my allegiance lies." - Namor of Atlantis

Mighty Member

It was one of these rare first issues who catch immediately my attention, like recently the first issue of Immortal Hulk, Mister Miracle or House of X. For a recent comic writer who came from tv, Christopher Cantwell writing is very assured and he seems to understand the medium ! And in one issue, he has written an almost perfect Doctor Doom : Not a hero anymore, but not a vilain either.
    Still a dictator with too much pride and ego, but at the same time someone who will give his life for his country in a second, and who really care about the future of humanity. I hope that this run will at least have 12 issues.
    Last edited by lordozone; 10-09-2019 at 01:57 PM.
    I try to improve my english, feel free to correct me by DM if you see some mistakes !

BANNED

I liked the first issue and a solid start.

As Kintor said, that bit where Doom is shown writing in his study is a great bit. You know straight away that this is Victor and not a doombot.

I'm going to start a separate spoiler/review thread shortly if anyone wants to go into things more over there