Page 61 of 75 FirstFirst ... 115157585960616263646571 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Talking Happy Birthday Abe!!!

Have a GREAT day!

Citizen of Atlantis ImperiusWrecked's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    Thanks for posting the preview, IW! Here we have another artist's take on what Doom looks like under the mask too. I'm glad that Larocca will be on the book for at least for the time being.
    I think just about everyone expected Stephen to be there at this point. He's just about the only person Doom would trust. And Stephen was the only one who was at least willing to hear Doom out in Infamous Iron Man. Good to see Silver Sable there too. I have to repeat I like that we are seeing a different take on just what the Hood/Demon did to Doom at the end of Invincible Iron Man #600 (?) . I just think it is more magic based then a physical injury.
    Quote Originally Posted by Coatl View Post
    Thanks a lot for sharing the link to the preview.

Wow, this looks interesting, back to Doom's face certainly looks pretty different to how was portrayed in FF, damn he even has now a full mane when in the first issues of FF after the burning he was portrayed as totally bald, also his face doesn't look so bad just like ...old leather.
    So seems like he has some respect (understandably) for Strange to care to explain to him, also yes, nice touch from Strange to bother on cover his face and take care that no one upsets Doom more than intended also liked the presence of Silver S. just to remember where she comes off, still I think that a war is almost inevitable.

By the way all this framed-attempt and terrorism just made me remember the arc of Winter soldier.
    You're welcome! I have to say that this series seems to be off to a good start, the writer definitely seems to be respecting DOOM while also humanizing Victor. I just love the "WTF? RICHARDS SENT HERBIE? He couldn't be bothered to come and face me himself?!" reaction that Victor had. lol. While I do love the Doctor Strange interactions, I do hope we get a Reed and Doom one later in the series because the two characters should definitely have a face off. I did not like how Slott wrote Doom meeting the FF in his run, so maybe this series will give us a better one.

Also internally I am shouting at Victor to simply jump from the plane and fall into the ocean, Namor would definitely take him in and grant him asylum It would be a reverse of Namor being declared a terrorist and him ending up in Latveria at the end of the 2007 sub-mariner mini.
    "No one should ever question where my allegiance lies." - Namor of Atlantis

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Happy Birthday Abe

Quote Originally Posted by ImperiusWrecked View Post
    You're welcome! I have to say that this series seems to be off to a good start, the writer definitely seems to be respecting DOOM while also humanizing Victor. I just love the "WTF? RICHARDS SENT HERBIE? He couldn't be bothered to come and face me himself?!" reaction that Victor had. lol. While I do love the Doctor Strange interactions, I do hope we get a Reed and Doom one later in the series because the two characters should definitely have a face off. I did not like how Slott wrote Doom meeting the FF in his run, so maybe this series will give us a better one.

Also internally I am shouting at Victor to simply jump from the plane and fall into the ocean, Namor would definitely take him in and grant him asylum It would be a reverse of Namor being declared a terrorist and him ending up in Latveria at the end of the 2007 sub-mariner mini.
    That's a great idea. I think a reunion between Namor and Victor is long overdue. I was always disappointed that Hickman never really paired them off, except for that short story with the Cabal. I wish they had a better relationship in those days. I have to catch up on my Namor reading in the Invaders, but now I see that series is ending too. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it will free him up for a possible appearance in Doom's series at some point. But I wish it wasn't because Invaders was ending Are there any other Namor appearances I should know about?

And agree about Victor being ticked off with Reed. And I hope we get Reed in person some time in the series too. I really disliked the Slott's FF story. Once again, Chip Zdarsky's meet up was better but IIRC the Reed he met in MTIO was one of the Council of Reed's not the Reed from SW. I was always a bit confused about that because he did show Victor the suppressed memory of what happened between the last fight between them and then Victor being back in Latveria with his face restored.
    Last edited by Iron Maiden; 11-01-2019 at 09:44 AM.

Thanks a lot for sharing the link to the preview.

Wow, this looks interesting, back to Doom's face certainly looks pretty different to how was portrayed in FF, damn he even has now a full mane when in the first issues of FF after the burning he was portrayed as totally bald, also his face doesn't look so bad just like ...old leather.
    So seems like he has some respect (understably) for Strange to care to explain to him, also yes, nice touch from Strang to bother on cover his face and take care that no one upsets Doom more than intended also liked the presence of Silver S. just to remember where she comes off, still I think that a war is almost inevitable.

By the way all this framed-attempt and terrorism just made me remember the arc of Winter soldier.

Attachment 88931
    I had just re-read that not too long ago and you're right. Lucia von Bardas's plan involved framing Doom in that stsory too. She was going to instigate a conflict between Latveria and the U.S with the use of a Doombot she had obtained on the black market. Could she be up to her old tricks? I don't know if we've seen much of her lately. Most recently her wiki says she was in Spider-Man #239 so I will have to check that out. But if she is involved, I think it will be part of a secret alliance with others involved. That operation to take down the Antilion seems to big for just a one person.

As for Doom's looks, I am surprised that he was OK with just half of his face covered. He still has a reluctance to reveal his entire face, something that is deeply embedded into his psyche after all this time. These back and forth transformations can't be helping him to adjust.

Citizen of Atlantis ImperiusWrecked's Avatar

That's a great idea. I think a reunion between Namor and Victor is long overdue. I was always disappointed that Hickman never really paired them off, except for that short story with the Cabal. I wish they had a better relationship in those days. I have to catch up on my Namor reading in the Invaders, but now I see that series is ending too. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it will free him up for a possible appearance in Doom's series at some point. But I wish it wasn't because Invaders was ending Are there any other Namor appearances I should know about?

And agree about Victor being ticked off with Reed. And I hope we get Reed in person some time in the series too. I really disliked the Slott's FF story. Once again, Chip Zdarsky's meet up was better but IIRC the Reed he met in MTIO was one of the Council of Reed's not the Reed from SW. I was always a bit confused about that because he did show Victor the suppressed memory of what happened between the last fight between them and then Victor being back in Latveria with his face restored.
    Namor will be showing up in Tarot, a 4 issue mini series with Defenders/Avengers like an untold story from back in the day! I'm really looking forward to that.
    Also he will be showing up in Atlantis Attacks, a 6 issue mini series with the new agents of atlas, both start in the new year.

Another theory floating around now is if spoilers:
    Kristoff is the one behind the attack. which i hope is not the case but i do want to see kristoff at some point in the series
    end of spoilers
    "No one should ever question where my allegiance lies." - Namor of Atlantis

Agree totally with your spoiler. The nice thing about Doom getting a solo series is that we have a chance to see characters that are rarely used. We know Boris is still around but his health is not the best and he is up in years. I liked seeing Silver Sable in this issue too. She and Doom had a cordial relationship, or at least it was mentioned in her first solo series years ago. She was supposed to have regular dinner engagements with him but the only story we got to see that happen, it turns out some alien was impersonating Doom! And She ended up fighting the alien and chasing it off or something. It's been a while since I read that.

As mentioned earlier, there should be a face to face with Reed at some point. No wonder Doom gets annoyed with Reed. If you look at it from his perspective, Reed has always had a tendency to be dismissive of him. I recall Reed and Hank Pym had a small blow up once when Reed claimed to know more about Pym particles than Hank.

Lol, I actually found funny how offended Victor was by that detail, after all he is very full of himself and should be kind of insulting realizing that he was not priority in Richards life, but the fact is the Reed didn't even send a living member of the team but a robot to attend Doom arrest.

I liked how close that arc showed Namor and Doom, but I'm not certain about how much are they in good terms now days after all the secret War stuff. Yes Doom dismissed Namor pleas of help, then Namor attacked the world made for Victor, and Doom finally killed Namor...but I think that they can overwhelm all that, what it is a little murder or to between friends?

Yes, that's one of the reunions I have been waiting for a while

By the way, I think that Doom could escape if that were what he wanted, he just surrender to protect his people. Who actually talks a lot about his development, as mentioned in the WS some years ago Doom would be fighted the war before accepting that he was fooled.

I had just re-read that not too long ago and you're right. Lucia von Bardas's plan involved framing Doom in that story too. She was going to instigate a conflict between Latveria and the U.S with the use of a Doombot she had obtained on the black market. Could she be up to her old tricks? I don't know if we've seen much of her lately. Most recently her wiki says she was in Spider-Man #239 so I will have to check that out. But if she is involved, I think it will be part of a secret alliance with others involved. That operation to take down the Antilion seems to big for just a one person.

As for Doom's looks, I am surprised that he was OK with just half of his face covered. He still has a reluctance to reveal his entire face, something that is deeply embedded into his psyche after all this time. These back and forth transformations can't be helping him to adjust.
    Regarding Lucia I don't think that she would be dumb enough to try the same trick twice, after all the last time Doom was clear about how foolish was try it in first place and she barely got away with her life. As I remember she only got to shield custody alive because was part of the deal made between Shield and Doom.

Regarding Victor face he seems a bit more open to let people get away with looking at his face, as far as I remember at the beginning he was able to kill anyone fool enough to reveal his face and was his principal source of discomfort, but nowadays he has let some people like Victorious see him without freak out (someone said development?), still I think that he wasn't expected being treated with some kindness by Strange.

Namor will be showing up in Tarot, a 4 issue mini series with Defenders/Avengers like an untold story from back in the day! I'm really looking forward to that.
    Also he will be showing up in Atlantis Attacks, a 6 issue mini series with the new agents of atlas, both start in the new year.

Another theory floating around now is if spoilers:
    Kristoff is the one behind the attack. which i hope is not the case but i do want to see kristoff at some point in the series
    end of spoilers
    Regarding your spoiler, I don't think so. I mean I would be happy to see it (And I think I have pointed it several times, just bring him back, please), but sounds a bit out of character to me.
    "And you eater of world. May you taste our righteous fire, And choke on it. For my planet's sake, I spit my last breath at thee"

Lol, I actually found funny how offended Victor was by that detail, after all he is very full of himself and should be kind of insulting realizing that he was not priority in Richards life, but the fact is the Reed didn't even send a living member of the team but a robot to attend Doom arrest.
    I liked how close that arc showed Namor and Doom, but I'm not certain about how much are they in good terms now days after all the secret War stuff. Yes Doom dismissed Namor pleas of help, then Namor attacked the world made for Victor, and Doom finally killed Namor...but I think that they can overwhelm all that, what it is a little murder or to between friends?

Yes, that's one of the reunions I have been waiting for a while
    It is so long overdue IMO. I can see why on Namor's end why it has been held up. For one thing there was a little thing about the Squadron Supreme cutting off his head! I don't even know how that turned out because IIRC I stopped reading that book after that. Now with the Invaders sadly coming to a close, one would think that it would free him up for other guest appearances. If Cantwell is as good a student of Doom lore as he's demonstrated, I'd rather see him show up in Doom's series .

Going back to Namor in SW, I'm not even certain if God Emperor Doom killed him or merely flicked him away. There was so much going on those last couple of issues and it was never really followed up. I guess it's a fair assumption to say that "zap" was fatal. I would like to think that Victor held back a little because it was Namor after all. Along with Stephen Strange, he's just about one of the few near-friends that he has!

They've helped each other out over the years and for sure Doom has betrayed him a time or two. But for the most part, Namor is the one he goes back to when he needs an ally. I wish they had done more with this development back in 2008 but IIRC this was when Marvel was pushing Norman Osborn more than anything. Also I recall that around this time JMS was writing Thor and started a subplot where Fem Loki was advocating that the Asgardians leave Missouri and move to Latveria instead. So I guess they never really followed through showing any stuff with Namor and some of his loyal troops taking refuge in Latveria. I guess we can assume they stayed there in secret for a while then went somewhere else.

By the way, I think that Doom could escape if that were what he wanted, he just surrender to protect his people. Who actually talks a lot about his development, as mentioned in the WS some years ago Doom would be fighted the war before accepting that he was fooled.

Regarding Lucia I don't think that she would be dumb enough to try the same trick twice, after all the last time Doom was clear about how foolish was try it in first place and she barely got away with her life. As I remember she only got to shield custody alive because was part of the deal made between Shield and Doom.

Regarding Victor face he seems a bit more open to let people get away with looking at his face, as far as I remember at the beginning he was able to kill anyone fool enough to reveal his face and was his principal source of discomfort, but nowadays he has let some people like Victorious see him without freak out (someone said development?), still I think that he wasn't expected being treated with some kindness by Strange.

I agree with you that Doom allowed his capture to save the country. It looks like there is a scene jump from the end of issue #1 to where issue #2 begins. We saw the attack helicopters closing in on his castle and now we see him being transported. I also think Doom voluntarily removed his armor to avoid a fight. He knew that one city was under attack. BTW, I like that Cantwell is adding to Latveria's geography by giving us the name of other cities besides Doomstadt. His staff reports to him that the cities of Relaskic (pop. 65,000) was hit and Nzovi and Subto are cities near some of his military installations.

I've seen some criticism of Cantwell's Doom as one of the few complaints here and there. Things like Doom doesn't "sound" like Doom. I can accept that because IMO Doom has changed a lot after going through Secret Wars and Infamous Iron Man. In Infamous, he had given up the monarchy and for the first time in decades he was living as a normal (or relatively normal for Doom) person without having to put on the facade of monarch or god. I really don't miss the third person speech pattern at all ! I think it is a relic of the past and wouldn't mind if it went away for good. Or maybe returned only for special occasions. Even Queen Elizabeth uses the "royal we" from time to time in official statements :-)
    Last edited by Iron Maiden; 11-03-2019 at 11:30 AM.

It is so long overdue IMO. I can see why on Namor's end why it has been held up. For one thing there was a little thing about the Squadron Supreme cutting off his head! I don't even know how that turned out because IIRC I stopped reading that book after that.
    That end was a bit blurry on my memory because the run was so... stupid. As far as I remember the Jerk Squadron just travel back in time and for some reason that saved Namor, then Hyperion helped to rebuild Atlantis and all was "Ok" again. I suppose that all those atlanteans who were killed while he was destroying the city in first place, those who lost their homes, the Attuma people and those who has to live in the wild while the Squadron realized that destroying cities and killing people wasn't so heroic, had not voice in that decision. TBH you did good dropping it.

Now with the Invaders sadly coming to a close, one would think that it would free him up for other guest appearances. If Cantwell is as good a student of Doom lore as he's demonstrated, I'd rather see him show up in Doom's series.
    I hope so too, Namor and Doom are two of my favorite characters and I'm wish seeing them interact again, in friendly terms if possible.

Going back to Namor in SW, I'm not even certain if God Emperor Doom killed him or merely flicked him away. There was so much going on those last couple of issues and it was never really followed up. I guess it's a fair assumption to say that "zap" was fatal. I would like to think that Victor held back a little because it was Namor after all. Along with Stephen Strange, he's just about one of the few near-friends that he has!
    I'm not so sure either, but I don't think that they care a lot anyway, as I said that have fought before and always come back together at some point. After all they are both proud Monarchs who had power beyond normal mortals, likes to rule they own way without regard for "the american way", both have been labeled as villains and share disgregeard to Richards. It's difficult to find someone
    who shares so much in common and they surely are not going to stay upset for details.

I like to think that Doom hold back but any way I'm not even sure if people is supposed to remember all the incursions and Doom reing stuff. Really, how much is supposed to be normal knowledge?

They've helped each other out over the years and for sure Doom has betrayed him a time or two. But for the most part, Namor is the one he goes back to when he needs an ally. I wish they had done more with this development back in 2008 but IIRC this was when Marvel was pushing Norman Osborn more than anything. Also I recall that around this time JMS was writing Thor and started a subplot where Fem Loki was advocating that the Asgardians leave Missouri and move to Latveria instead. So I guess they never really followed through showing any stuff with Namor and some of his loyal troops taking refuge in Latveria. I guess we can assume they stayed there in secret for a while then went somewhere else.
    Yes I remember that, old Loki was another of my favorite characters but nowadays I'm not so comfortable with the younger version, ironically the old Kid Loki of JIM has been my favorite character in the last years.

About Namor I think that they did a truece until Namor were able to rebuild Atlantis in a new secret place (who he finally did), sadly that never had a well follow up, since one of the pivotal points was they the civil population disguised themselves as humans and were living around the world, sad wasted concept.

I also think Doom voluntarily removed his armor to avoid a fight. He knew that one city was under attack. BTW, I like that Cantwell is adding to Latveria's geography by giving us the name of other cities besides Doomstadt. His staff reports to him that the cities of Relaskic (pop. 65,000) was hit and Nzovi and Subto are cities near some of his military installations.
    Yes, until now, one could thought that Latveria was a single city surrounded for nothingness, I love how they are expanding the lore and showing that actually not all is Dom-related named.

I've seen some criticism of Cantwell's Doom as one of the few complaints here and there. Things like Doom doesn't "sound" like Doom. I can accept that because IMO Doom has changed a lot after going through Secret Wars and Infamous Iron Man. In Infamous, he had given up the monarchy and for the first time in decades he was living as a normal (or relatively normal for Doom) person without having to put on the facade of monarch or god. I really don't miss the third person speech pattern at all ! I think it is a relic of the past and wouldn't mind if it went away for good. Or maybe returned only for special occasions. Even Queen Elizabeth uses the "royal we" from time to time in official statements :-)
    I like the third person pattern in some limited occasions like to give emphasis, but yes the toned down shows how Doom is trying to be less the god/kind and more...Victor.
    "And you eater of world. May you taste our righteous fire, And choke on it. For my planet's sake, I spit my last breath at thee"

Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 616MarvelYear is LeapYear View Post

Have a GREAT day!

Sorry I'm late to the party, but, happy birthday, Abe!
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

I hope so too, Namor and Doom are two of my favorite characters and I'm wish seeing them interact again, in friendly terms if possible.

I'm not so sure either, but I don't think that they care a lot anyway, as I said that have fought before and always come back together at some point. After all they are both proud Monarchs who had power beyond normal mortals, likes to rule they own way without regard for "the american way", both have been labeled as villains and share disgregeard to Richards. It's difficult to find someone
    who shares so much in common and they surely are not going to stay upset for details.

I like to think that Doom hold back but any way I'm not even sure if people is supposed to remember all the incursions and Doom reing stuff. Really, how much is supposed to be normal knowledge?

Yes I remember that, old Loki was another of my favorite characters but nowadays I'm not so comfortable with the younger version, ironically the old Kid Loki of JIM has been my favorite character in the last years.

About Namor I think that they did a truece until Namor were able to rebuild Atlantis in a new secret place (who he finally did), sadly that never had a well follow up, since one of the pivotal points was they the civil population disguised themselves as humans and were living around the world, sad wasted concept.
    It certainly was wasted. One thing I would like to add is that one gets the sense that Hickman in some respects wasn't all that fond of Namor from his Fantastic Four, New Avengers and Secret Wars. I think when it came to the crisis with the incursions, Namor took the bold and soul crushing step of saving the Earth by setting off the bomb. Then he had to live with the consequences of dealing with a ruthless Thanos and his Black Order. It was a bit sad that Doom was dismissive of him because Namor did not entrust him with this knowledge of the incursions even when one occured over Latveria. None of the Illuminati approached him and Reed arrogantly continued to leave Doom in the dark about them. Stephen didn't volunteer any information either. The Illuminati presumed to give themselves the power of determining the fate of the entire planet.

I like the third person pattern in some limited occasions like to give emphasis, but yes the toned down shows how Doom is trying to be less the god/kind and more...Victor.
    I hope that this is a sign that Marvel will allow some character development here. I keep saying it is a betrayal of Hickman's ending of Secret Wars if he goes back to the old Doom like Slott did. Yes, Doom is greatly flawed but I think that he has come to a degree of realization of some of them. He still has a fragile ego and I think that goes back to the treatment of his family and fellow Roma in Europe. They were considered the lowest of the low and were never allowed a homeland in Latveria until Doom took over. One has to think that young Victor grew up hearing the insults that has father had to endure silently and without protest.

BANNED

Some spoiler free thoughts on this week's Doom outings:

Doctor Doom #2
    I really enjoyed issue. After the decompression style of Bendis on Infamous Iron Man it's refreshing to a get a book that moves at a quick pace. Some nice cameos from characters that tie back into a few of Doom's more iconic stories.

Amazing Spider-Man #33
    Skip this one. Doom only appears on the very last page of the issue. Also, the story doesn't appear to be occurring at the same time as the Doctor Doom book, although the politics surrounding Latveria and its immediate neighbours remains the same.

Astonishing Member your_name_here's Avatar

I forgot that Namor moved to Latveria. It was a strange time in comics where a lot of subplots like that one got removed.

That's OK, your_name_here . It appeared that Marvel editorial also forgot that Namor moved to Latveria!

Quote Originally Posted by Kintor View Post
    Some spoiler free thoughts on this week's Doom outings:

Doctor Doom #2
    I really enjoyed issue. After the decompression style of Bendis on Infamous Iron Man it's refreshing to a get a book that moves at a quick pace. Some nice cameos from characters that tie back into a few of Doom's more iconic stories.

Amazing Spider-Man #33
    Skip this one. Doom only appears on the very last page of the issue. Also, the story doesn't appear to be occurring at the same time as the Doctor Doom book, although the politics surrounding Latveria and its immediate neighbours remains the same.
    Thanks for the heads up about Spider-Man. I can skip that one when I go to the LCS later today.