Page 62 of 75 FirstFirst ... 125258596061626364656672 ... LastLast
    Citizen of Atlantis ImperiusWrecked's Avatar

I read Doom earlier and wanted to know if it was ok to post stuff here or if there would be a spoiler thread for each new issue?
    "No one should ever question where my allegiance lies." - Namor of Atlantis

Mighty Member

No review of the last Doom comics ? It was fantastic.
    I try to improve my english, feel free to correct me by DM if you see some mistakes !

Fantastic Member

Whoa. This is one of the best Doom stories in a while.

Of course, if we compare it to the standard villain they showed us in the recent Fantastic Four story, that isn't really saying much.

Anyway, this is solid. Better than the first issue.

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Sorry to be late guys. I went to the LCS this afternoon and now that I've read it, I will start a spoiler thread if anyone is interested so we don't have to use tags. Be up in a couple of minutes

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by xcoijoi View Post
    Whoa. This is one of the best Doom stories in a while.

Of course, if we compare it to the standard villain they showed us in the recent Fantastic Four story, that isn't really saying much.

Anyway, this is solid. Better than the first issue.
    Yeah, I liked the first issue but #2 was going to be the decision maker as to whether I kept picking this up. It definitely sold me on staying with it. Excellent issue!

Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar

Was out of town today, so I haven't picked up my issue of Doom, much less read it. Will rectify that tomorrow.
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Warren View Post
    Yeah, I liked the first issue but #2 was going to be the decision maker as to whether I kept picking this up. It definitely sold me on staying with it. Excellent issue!
    Glad you liked it, Professor. It really keeps you guessing and wanting to read the next issue right away.

BANNED

Has it been mentioned that Doom is also in this week's Savage Avengers? It's pretty cool. Looks like he's going to play a big part in the current story.

Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Warren View Post
    Has it been mentioned that Doom is also in this week's Savage Avengers? It's pretty cool. Looks like he's going to play a big part in the current story.
    Yes, I was going to bring that up. I saw that Patrick "Patches" Zircher is doing the art for Savage Avengers. He did some issues on the original Thunderbolts series, and part of that was a Doom story way back when he was ruling Planet Doom. I just happen to be re-reading that again the other day in order to nail down some stuff about Counter Earth/Planet Doom and Doom's generals. I lost track of what the status is on that. AFAIK, Franklin's Counter Earth is still out there but I think it was placed back into another dimention. Doom had moved it out of Franklin's pocket dimension and into the MU in an orbit opposite Marvel Earth. The generals whereabouts are unknown or at least I can't find anything on them. Warrior Queen Dorma and her fellow Atlans were killed by the evil mutant Proteus in Exiles #81-82 some years back. The other generals just appeared in a flashback panel and were not part of her kingdom.

Doom has several brief appearance this week. He's in ASM #33 and Old Man Quill #11 too. In the Quill story, it's highly likely this is a Doombot. He's not had one line of dialogue the entire run and my guess is the Madame Masque is just using him as a substitute for the real Doom. I suppose he's still alive in this Old Man Logan future but it's hard to say. In ASM, Spencer's story also mentions some tension between Symkaria and Latveria like Cantwell does only this time Latveria is the aggressor. I don't know if the two titles are coordinating on this element.

But getting back to Savage Avengers, I just picked up this issue and haven't been following this title. Before now, if someone bet me that Doom would be meeting up with Conan the Barbarian I would have given them odds of about 1,000 to 1. But so far this looks like fun. I have been cataloging different times when Doom has people over for dinner, be they friend or foe and it seems to happen quite a lot. I think he will find Conan's table manners to be quite crude though. Since the rest of the Savage Avengers includes Doctor Voodoo and Doctor Strange, that is an interesting mix of one former and the current Sorcerer Supreme along with Doom, who has always thought he should be the SS.

And Zircher does do an impressive version of Doom

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    Yes, I was going to bring that up. I saw that Patrick "Patches" Zircher is doing the art for Savage Avengers. He did some issues on the original Thunderbolts series, and part of that was a Doom story way back when he was ruling Planet Doom. I just happen to be re-reading that again the other day in order to nail down some stuff about Counter Earth/Planet Doom and Doom's generals. I lost track of what the status is on that. AFAIK, Franklin's Counter Earth is still out there but I think it was placed back into another dimention. Doom had moved it out of Franklin's pocket dimension and into the MU in an orbit opposite Marvel Earth. The generals whereabouts are unknown or at least I can't find anything on them. Warrior Queen Dorma and her fellow Atlans were killed by the evil mutant Proteus in Exiles #81-82 some years back. The other generals just appeared in a flashback panel and were not part of her kingdom.

Doom has several brief appearance this week. He's in ASM #33 and Old Man Quill #11 too. In the Quill story, it's highly likely this is a Doombot. He's not had one line of dialogue the entire run and my guess is the Madame Masque is just using him as a substitute for the real Doom. I suppose he's still alive in this Old Man Logan future but it's hard to say. In ASM, Spencer's story also mentions some tension between Symkaria and Latveria like Cantwell does only this time Latveria is the aggressor. I don't know if the two titles are coordinating on this element.

But getting back to Savage Avengers, I just picked up this issue and haven't been following this title. Before now, if someone bet me that Doom would be meeting up with Conan the Barbarian I would have given them odds of about 1,000 to 1. But so far this looks like fun. I have been cataloging different times when Doom has people over for dinner, be they friend or foe and it seems to happen quite a lot. I think he will find Conan's table manners to be quite crude though. Since the rest of the Savage Avengers includes Doctor Voodoo and Doctor Strange, that is an interesting mix of one former and the current Sorcerer Supreme along with Doom, who has always thought he should be the SS.

And Zircher does do an impressive version of Doom

This brings back memories of Patrick Zircher's Thunderbolts:

Last edited by K7P5V; 11-07-2019 at 07:20 AM. Reason: Added another image.

San Diego, CA and Den of Madness, Castle Doom, Latveria

Doctor Doom #2
    Great job all around. Quoting King Richard (Shakespeare) and opting for John Lennon over Paul McCartney were highlights that bring more depth to Victor, and I love it when writers explore that. I didn't like his hunched and brooding appearance throughout, though. He does seem less regal and less confident. I get that he's on the run, but he knew that would happen. This is not the Doom that is planning and always three steps ahead of everyone else. He's off his guard, and that is out of character.

The scene with Victorious back in Latveria was brilliant.

Does anyone know the picture that Morgan has above the couch? It was vaguely familiar, and featured so prominently I think it must have some significance.

Finally, I get the feeling that this issue is just the preamble ... there are going to be some major throwdowns in coming issues. Also, the variant Doom 2099 cover is wonderful, great to see this version again.

ds
    "Because ... I am Doom
    ... What Gods dare stand against me?"

Posting from the dungeon of Castle Doom, Latveria

Quote Originally Posted by DoomScribe View Post
    Doctor Doom #2

Does anyone know the picture that Morgan has above the couch? It was vaguely familiar, and featured so prominently I think it must have some significance.

ds
    As far a I remember is Saturn Devouring His Son by Francisco Goya, I think that is there just to show Morgana tastes but we will see.
    "And you eater of world. May you taste our righteous fire, And choke on it. For my planet's sake, I spit my last breath at thee"

Quote Originally Posted by DoomScribe View Post
    Doctor Doom #2
    Great job all around. Quoting King Richard (Shakespeare) and opting for John Lennon over Paul McCartney were highlights that bring more depth to Victor, and I love it when writers explore that. I didn't like his hunched and brooding appearance throughout, though. He does seem less regal and less confident. I get that he's on the run, but he knew that would happen. This is not the Doom that is planning and always three steps ahead of everyone else. He's off his guard, and that is out of character.

The scene with Victorious back in Latveria was brilliant.

Finally, I get the feeling that this issue is just the preamble ... there are going to be some major throwdowns in coming issues. Also, the variant Doom 2099 cover is wonderful, great to see this version again.

ds
    Yes, the Doom 2099 variant is the one I picked up. Can't wait for all those 2099 titles to drop in a couple of weeks, especially Chip Zdarsky's Doom 2099! I really liked his take on Doom in Marvel Two in 1. And he is one of the few writers that remember that Doom has a mother AND a father. He gave us a flashback about Werner von Doom.

San Diego, CA and Den of Madness, Castle Doom, Latveria

Quote Originally Posted by Coatl View Post
    As far a I remember is Saturn Devouring His Son by Francisco Goya, I think that is there just to show Morgana tastes but we will see.
    AHA! Good catch Coatl. It is quite gruesome.
    "Because ... I am Doom
    ... What Gods dare stand against me?"

Posting from the dungeon of Castle Doom, Latveria

Since that painting was so prominently features in those panels, I wonder if that is some kind of clue?

Also, about Doom being off his guard. I can see that happening when one considers what's been going on with him the since SW. His attempt to rehabilitate his image with the world at large in Infamous Iron Man didn't work on the way he would have wanted. The only person who was his sounding board/confessor was Stephen Strange. He was being hit from all sides with the annoying Hood and his gang of second rate villiains, Mephisto and the doppleganger of his mother and S.H.I.E.L.D. Then he got humiliated by Sue on an intergalactic scale. I feel like Cantwell is making lemonade out of Slott's lemons from Fantastic Four and giving Doom a chance to shine here. It's just like in most comics, The adversary has the upper hand in the opening rounds and then the hero rallies and wins in the end. I am hoping to see some hard core Doom giving out some payback come out of this