Page 18 of 23 FirstFirst ... 8141516171819202122 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Quite cool.
    I liked the first Doctor Strange movie but this sequel looks amazing.
    Nightmare being the villain is great and Scarlet Witch being in the movie is amazing as well.

if mcu dreamstalker is confirmed i'll give derickson an oscar myself
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Quote Originally Posted by Blind Wedjat View Post
    Nightmare has been confirmed as the villain, and Derrickson promised the film will be scary! Great news I say.
    I figured with Derrickson staying on, his wish for Nightmare to be the villain would stick.

If any villain would be appropriate for a horror vibe, it would be Nightmare.

BANNED

how has Strange been in recent comics? is he the current sorcerer supreme?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Random4 View Post
    how has Strange been in recent comics? is he the current sorcerer supreme?
    Yes, he’s sorcerer supreme. His personality and competence is also close to his more classic incarnation, and his current arc gives me huge classic vibes as well. All in all, his recent comic run is pretty great

BANNED

I have to ask this question

was Dr. Strange originally asian and they retconned him to being white in the 70s, 80s?

Quote Originally Posted by Random4 View Post

I have to ask this question

was Dr. Strange originally asian and they retconned him to being white in the 70s, 80s?
    No. BUT! Related character Doctor Droom, created by Lee, Kirby, and Ditko before Strange, had the dodgy origin of being a caucasian who was turned into an Asian, which then got retconned into the always caucasian Doctor Druid. Read all about it:

https://www.cbr.com/doctor-droom-asian-superhero

https://www.cbr.com/doctor-strange-d...in-connections
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

I always thought that Stephen's original look was based on Vincent Price.
    Love is for souls, not bodies.

Jewish & Proud Feminist Shadowcat's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GenericUsername View Post
    That’s correct

Quote Originally Posted by GenericUsername View Post
    Vincent Van Ghoul and Dr. Strange team-up when ?

Amazing Member

You guys have probably got this question over and over again, but how is Mark Waid's run?
    I kinda decided to take a break somewhere through Aaron's run since I thought another depowering arc would be a bit tedious. I plan on seeing if I can find the Cates issues since I hear more of a positive consensus on it, but I'm curious about the later runs.

Also re new movie. Between Marvel and DC (and maybe Sony)'s offerings there's quite a lot of superhero fare that year. I suppose it is promising that they gave MoM the 'big summer tentpole' May slot, a bit surprised it isn't Thor 4 there but it might just be scheduling conflicts.

BANNED

Wow, #16 went to places I didn’t expect it to go at full throttle. Looking forward to see how it wraps up, all he needs to do is to keep up the consistent quality of this arc and stick the landing

Quote Originally Posted by Berry View Post
    You guys have probably got this question over and over again, but how is Mark Waid's run?
    I kinda decided to take a break somewhere through Aaron's run since I thought another depowering arc would be a bit tedious. I plan on seeing if I can find the Cates issues since I hear more of a positive consensus on it, but I'm curious about the later runs.
    I think it’s great, probably the best run he got since the 90s. Waid really gets the character and his cast much better than either Aaron or Cates did. The current arc in particular harkens back to the more classic Strange stories of cosmic interdimensional conflict of a very large scale.

Heads up though, there’s a depowering in Waid’s run at the start but it lasts basically one issue and is basically used to launch him to space to explore space magic.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rrobin View Post
    Wow, #16 went to places I didn’t expect it to go at full throttle. Looking forward to see how it wraps up, all he needs to do is to keep up the consistent quality of this arc and stick the landing

I think it’s great, probably the best run he got since the 90s. Waid really gets the character and his cast much better than either Aaron or Cates did. The current arc in particular harkens back to the more classic Strange stories of cosmic interdimensional conflict of a very large scale.

Heads up though, there’s a depowering in Waid’s run at the start but it lasts basically one issue and is basically used to launch him to space to explore space magic.

Yeah I can survive a one issue depowering haha, I'll check it out.
    Not super sure about the current status of it though, with only an annual solicited in October, I wonder if they're ramping up to another relaunch.

Fantastic Member Chainsaw Vigilante's Avatar

The latest issue was good, but had some oddities.

-I love that Gladiator and Black Bolt got some huge moments, but in this context they should have been next to useless. Glad Waid and the artist respect them as characters though, especially considering how crapped on Black Bolt has been for the past 10 years or so.
    -They referenced that terrible Engleheart mini where Dormammu supposedly created Satannish- which flew in the face of all continuity before it and since (didn't care for Satannish begging/bargaining for his life like a coward, that's more of a Mephisto trait- followed immediately by betrayal if they spare him).
    -The feeding too fast thing didn't really come off well considering Galactus has been absorbing entire extra multiversal dimensions and the glut of the multiverse while also absorbing Dormammu in the previous issue. The heroes shouldn't really have made much of a dent (though the lords of various netherworlds and dimensions and Satannish were also there to put a dent in things) compared to the fabric of the multiverse and entire dimensions.
    -The Silver Surfer was under-utilized. You'd think Galactus' most important creation and one so popular would be written to do more. Reminds me of how quickly he was removed from the Abraxas storyline (which I like to chalk up to being a Surfer from another reality in that storyline anyway). Terrax and Nova having brief do nothing cameos (Terrax barely visible in a single panel) was disappointing as well.

Still a fan of the storyline though, it still feels like classic pre-Quesada (or at least before Quesada really left his mark) and pre-Heroes Reborn Marvel, it even utilizes the pre-Hickman pre-Ewing Living Tribunal (save for the fear line, but I mean abnormalities existed before Hickman and Ewing anyway like Marvel: The End and Last Planet Standing) in terms of the character's stature, has Tiboro and other classic Dr. Strange other dimensional lords, and even a Sleepwalker (I'm guessing their queen or sorcerer supreme type). Dr. Strange gets to reboot the multiverse again next issue (it feels like this is the umpteenth time this has happened, or at least the umpteenth time the 616/core reality has been rebooted, but the multiverse just got a reboot a few years back) which reminds me of when he merged with Shuma Gorath and the chaos lords (outer gods) in Strange Tales vol. 2.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Chainsaw Vigilante View Post
    -The feeding too fast thing didn't really come off well considering Galactus has been absorbing entire extra multiversal dimensions and the glut of the multiverse while also absorbing Dormammu in the previous issue. The heroes shouldn't really have made much of a dent (though the lords of various netherworlds and dimensions and Satannish were also there to put a dent in things) compared to the fabric of the multiverse and entire dimensions.
    Hm, my reading of the situation is that galactus was not absorbing dimensions at all, but that the merging of science and magic is destroying some of them and causing the others to tether at edge of collapse