Page 11 of 23 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Warren View Post
    Today's issue was a rocking start to the new arc.

The conclusion of the last arc hit me as being a bit soft but the book is solidly back on track with this issue.

It's hard not to miss Saiz on art (hoping for his return on the next arc) but Barry Kitson is certainly no slouch and he gets his Ditko on nicely here.

Waid continues to prove his firm understanding of Stephen as a character. He really gets him and gets his world and this is yet another issue that makes me feel that we're in the midst of a classic - or at the very least, a very excellent - run on Strange.
    This issue is a good (if a bit rushed) kickoff to the next arc and provided a solid explanation why Strange is suddenly going up against Galactus. As for issue 11, it also felt a bit rushed, but it did close out a few dangling plot points. It also seemed like a decent way to bid adieu to Zelma and Kanna (at least for now) so that Strange can move on with all new stories.
    Live Faust, Die Jung.

BANNED

Some minor quibbles aside, #12 is a good issue and a solid start to the galactus arc. I especially like the page with the demon swarm. Hopefully the aggressive mystic race returns at some point

Has the artwork been as good on the inside as it has on the covers?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixx9 View Post
    Has the artwork been as good on the inside as it has on the covers?
    The interior and cover artist are the same for all issues except some stories in the annual and #12. So it’s quite similar for those. #12 has a totally different style so it’s harder to directly compare, check out the preview if you’re curious

BANNED

Strange Tales #119 Apr 1964
    "Beyond the Purple Veil!"
    Doctor Strange must rescue two thieves who unwittingly steal a magic gem from him

and get trapped in a mystical dimension as a result.

Script by Stan Lee and Steve Ditko (co-plot), art by Steve Ditko

BANNED

Wonder what will happen with Clea after #17? I sure hope she sticks around somehow

Also damn, Strange's crossing over a lot lately

BANNED

Wow, issue #13 is good, probably my second favourite of this run (after #9). Clea is written well as a competent leader and her interactions with Stephen are great. More about the politics between the mystical dimensions is also welcome, and even
    spoilers:
    Umar is back
    end of spoilers.

While Stephen becoming herald is entirely expected, I'm excited to see what he will decide to do, especially with the demon taunting at the end. Also, the pacing is great and really reminds me of classic strange. All in all, great issue, I'm looking forward to how this arc ends and the next arc as well. There's a lot of interesting ways the next arc can go with bits and pieces established in this run and the last one

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Rrobin View Post
    Wow, issue #13 is good, probably my second favourite of this run (after #9). Clea is written well as a competent leader and her interactions with Stephen are great. More about the politics between the mystical dimensions is also welcome, and even
    spoilers:
    Umar is back
    end of spoilers.

While Stephen becoming herald is entirely expected, I'm excited to see what he will decide to do, especially with the demon taunting at the end. Also, the pacing is great and really reminds me of classic strange. All in all, great issue, I'm looking forward to how this arc ends and the next arc as well. There's a lot of interesting ways the next arc can go with bits and pieces established in this run and the last one
    Agreed all around. This is an excellent arc. I would say it's a mild disappointment that Saiz isn't doing the interior art but Kitson is doing such an excellent job that I really don't mind.

Fun issue. Putting Strange in a position of trying to find life for Galactus to devour presents an interesting challenge for Strange. It's contrary to everything he stands for. I wonder if he'll manage to get through this without intentionally or accidentally causing the destruction of sentient life. Clea was written very well. Seeking to bring peace in the 'mystic realm' through coalition building instead of dominating through might and force is very much in character for her. I'm sure that trying to include her mother in this alliance will fail at some point, but that's a story for another day.

Favorite bit in this issue: Galactus to Clea: "As for you...you speak of forming a mystical union of defense. You waste your efforts. Who among you would even dare challenge me?"
    [next page, first panel] Misan-Ha-Gorath: "Lord...Lord Dormammu?"

Ha! There's the answer. Dormammu is just arrogant enough to attempt to challenge Galactus. Hope it happens.
    Live Faust, Die Jung.

Would someone kindly fill me in as to why Dr Strange and Clea are divorced? Last I checked they were married.

Quote Originally Posted by BitParallel View Post
    Would someone kindly fill me in as to why Dr Strange and Clea are divorced? Last I checked they were married.
    To the best of my knowledge, they aren't technically divorced, but Clea considers their marriage to be over. Their mystical union may be eternal, but so long as there is no love left in their relationship, they're as good as divorced.
    Live Faust, Die Jung.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Clea View Post
    To the best of my knowledge, they aren't technically divorced, but Clea considers their marriage to be over. Their mystical union may be eternal, but so long as there is no love left in their relationship, they're as good as divorced.
    Actually when did their “divorce” happen? I only recall something similar in the sorcerer supreme series where clea left him, was that the moment?

Quote Originally Posted by Rrobin View Post
    Actually when did their “divorce” happen? I only recall something similar in the sorcerer supreme series where clea left him, was that the moment?
    Was it even explained why? Or they are just suddenly not married?

Quote Originally Posted by BitParallel View Post
    Was it even explained why? Or they are just suddenly not married?
    During Cullen Bunn's 'Fearless Defenders' run, Clea returned from the Dark Dimension to discover that Strange was cheating on her with a couple of young women (one of the articles I linked below said they were call girls). She was shocked and heartbroken and told him that she wanted a divorce. She returned in the Doctor Strange Annual 2016( or 2015?) and told him that since there was no love left in their marriage, they should just part as friends. Strange said that he wasn't ready to undo their mystical bond at that time. This was all occurring during the heyday of contemporary Marvel writers portraying Strange as a playboy, womanizing jerk (which is 100% out of character for him, but that's what Marvel seems to want him to be these last few years), so I don't blame Clea for leaving him.

I think in general that Marvel doesn't like married characters. In this specific case, I think that a lot of writers find Clea to be a problematic, inconvenient character to keep around so they'd rather park her off-screen where she can be conveniently out of sight, out of mind. Marvel writers have split them up before. I have no idea if Marvel plans to plans to bring her back as a semi-permanent recurring character or not, or if they will have Clea and Strange reconcile. At least Waid and Kitson are writing her well (so far) so I'm happy to see that since she's one of my favorite Marvel characters. I actually like her more than I like Strange himself as a character, so I'll take what I can get.

Couple of good articles about the state of their marriage from a couple years ago:
    https://nerdcircus.wordpress.com/201...nges-marriage/
    https://www.fanboysanonymous.com/201...from-star.html
    Live Faust, Die Jung.

During Cullen Bunn's 'Fearless Defenders' run, Clea returned from the Dark Dimension to discover that Strange was cheating on her with a couple of young women (one of the articles I linked below said they were call girls). She was shocked and heartbroken and told him that she wanted a divorce. She returned in the Doctor Strange Annual 2016( or 2015?) and told him that since there was no love left in their marriage, they should just part as friends. Strange said that he wasn't ready to undo their mystical bond at that time. This was all occurring during the heyday of contemporary Marvel writers portraying Strange as a playboy, womanizing jerk (which is 100% out of character for him, but that's what Marvel seems to want him to be these last few years), so I don't blame Clea for leaving him.

I think in general that Marvel doesn't like married characters. In this specific case, I think that a lot of writers find Clea to be a problematic, inconvenient character to keep around so they'd rather park her off-screen where she can be conveniently out of sight, out of mind. Marvel writers have split them up before. I have no idea if Marvel plans to plans to bring her back as a semi-permanent recurring character or not, or if they will have Clea and Strange reconcile. At least Waid and Kitson are writing her well (so far) so I'm happy to see that since she's one of my favorite Marvel characters. I actually like her more than I like Strange himself as a character, so I'll take what I can get.

Couple of good articles about the state of their marriage from a couple years ago:
    https://nerdcircus.wordpress.com/201...nges-marriage/
    https://www.fanboysanonymous.com/201...from-star.html
    I'm hopeful that a possible presence in the next Dr. Strange movie (whenever that comes out) will lead to a bigger presence for Clea in the comics .