Page 12 of 23 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314151622 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I'm hopeful that a possible presence in the next Dr. Strange movie (whenever that comes out) will lead to a bigger presence for Clea in the comics .
    Is Clea supposed to be in the next movie?
    Live Faust, Die Jung.

Quote Originally Posted by Clea View Post
    I would be surprised if she isn't. I think Derrickson mentioned being interested in using her, although it might've been the writers.

Given the movie seemed to pretty quickly put the cap on a romantic reconciliation between Stephen and Christine, I think Clea showing up is probably in the cards.

Extraordinary Member

I surely hope so.
    I mean, being a major player and important figure in DS lore and all.
    It's speculated that the DS2 villain would be Nightmare, maybe a subplot about Dark Dimension refugees or something?

Extraordinary Member

This issue is a good (if a bit rushed) kickoff to the next arc and provided a solid explanation why Strange is suddenly going up against Galactus. As for issue 11, it also felt a bit rushed, but it did close out a few dangling plot points. It also seemed like a decent way to bid adieu to Zelma and Kanna (at least for now) so that Strange can move on with all new stories.
    Haven't kept up with DS comics lately, when did Uma become ruler of Dark Dimension? (She is right? She got the flame on her head.) Dorm got thrown to Shuma's dimension once and later trapped in the dimension to Earth by Mephisto in Damnation, when did the take-over happen.
    Clea is also called Majesty, is she currently in truce with Uma and ruling together or something?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by MaximoffTrash View Post
    Haven't kept up with DS comics lately, when did Uma become ruler of Dark Dimension? (She is right? She got the flame on her head.) Dorm got thrown to Shuma's dimension once and later trapped in the dimension to Earth by Mephisto in Damnation, when did the take-over happen.
    Clea is also called Majesty, is she currently in truce with Uma and ruling together or something?
    They are likely in truce. I suspect Umar is the current ruler somehow, and Clea was leading a rebellion, but they have currently ceased fire to negotiate peace/fight galactus together. Umar was always capable of taking over on her own without Dormmamu’s help, after all

I’m not 100% sure though
    Last edited by Rrobin; 04-27-2019 at 10:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rrobin View Post
    They are likely in truce. I suspect Umar is the current ruler somehow, and Clea was leading a rebellion, but they have currently ceased fire to negotiate peace/fight galactus together. Umar was always capable of taking over on her own without Dormmamu’s help, after all

I’m not 100% sure though
    The current rulership situation in the Dark Dimension is not entirely clear yet, at least not to me. Also not clear to me: are the writers now referring to the Dark Dimension as the 'Mystic Realm' or is the Dark Dimension just one part of the Mystic Realm? In previous stories, we've seen that the Dark Dimension consists of countless planetary systems, rather like a magical version of Earth's dimension.
    Live Faust, Die Jung.

BANNED

The current rulership situation in the Dark Dimension is not entirely clear yet, at least not to me. Also not clear to me: are the writers now referring to the Dark Dimension as the 'Mystic Realm' or is the Dark Dimension just one part of the Mystic Realm? In previous stories, we've seen that the Dark Dimension consists of countless planetary systems, rather like a magical version of Earth's dimension.
    I suppose “mystic realm” is a catch all for all dimensions which are magical in nature or can only be accessed through magical means, including the dark dimension (which, as you said, is very similar to earth’s dimension). To move through the dimensions, mystical doorways need to be created, which is shown in #13. I don’t think the writers were referring to the dark dimension as the mystic realm in that issue

My interpretation has always been that the “mystic realm” is a near infinite separate “dimension” which has all the different magical dimensions within it, but I’m not entirely sure if I’m accurate
    Last edited by Rrobin; 04-28-2019 at 08:57 AM.

During Cullen Bunn's 'Fearless Defenders' run, Clea returned from the Dark Dimension to discover that Strange was cheating on her with a couple of young women (one of the articles I linked below said they were call girls). She was shocked and heartbroken and told him that she wanted a divorce. She returned in the Doctor Strange Annual 2016( or 2015?) and told him that since there was no love left in their marriage, they should just part as friends. Strange said that he wasn't ready to undo their mystical bond at that time. This was all occurring during the heyday of contemporary Marvel writers portraying Strange as a playboy, womanizing jerk (which is 100% out of character for him, but that's what Marvel seems to want him to be these last few years), so I don't blame Clea for leaving him.

I think in general that Marvel doesn't like married characters. In this specific case, I think that a lot of writers find Clea to be a problematic, inconvenient character to keep around so they'd rather park her off-screen where she can be conveniently out of sight, out of mind. Marvel writers have split them up before. I have no idea if Marvel plans to plans to bring her back as a semi-permanent recurring character or not, or if they will have Clea and Strange reconcile. At least Waid and Kitson are writing her well (so far) so I'm happy to see that since she's one of my favorite Marvel characters. I actually like her more than I like Strange himself as a character, so I'll take what I can get.

Couple of good articles about the state of their marriage from a couple years ago:
    https://nerdcircus.wordpress.com/201...nges-marriage/
    https://www.fanboysanonymous.com/201...from-star.html
    Yikes. Marvel can’t just let happily married characters remain happily married. It’s disgusting to even write Dr Strange as such. A cheater? Really, Marvel?

Both Strange and Clea deserves better. Does she have her own comic?

Quote Originally Posted by BitParallel View Post
    Yikes. Marvel can’t just let happily married characters remain happily married. It’s disgusting to even write Dr Strange as such. A cheater? Really, Marvel?

Both Strange and Clea deserves better. Does she have her own comic?
    Clea does not have her own comic, nor is she a recurring character in any Marvel series. I don't think she could carry a solo-title because she is so disconnected from the majority of the rest of the Marvel characters, and because her core story involves the Dark Dimension. She used to be a constant character in the original runs of Doctor Strange of course, but in the last 15+ years she's barely appeared. (More time, really, but I'm not counting the years between the time the original run of Doctor Strange was cancelled, and when Marvel started using him again in New Avengers.) Sometimes I think the only reason Marvel doesn't just permanently kill her off is because she is such a long-running recurring Marvel character (started in 1964). She is supposed to be the great love of Strange's life, but that doesn't mean that they need to stay together as a couple.
    Live Faust, Die Jung.

Extraordinary Member

During Cullen Bunn's 'Fearless Defenders' run, Clea returned from the Dark Dimension to discover that Strange was cheating on her with a couple of young women (one of the articles I linked below said they were call girls). She was shocked and heartbroken and told him that she wanted a divorce. She returned in the Doctor Strange Annual 2016( or 2015?) and told him that since there was no love left in their marriage, they should just part as friends. Strange said that he wasn't ready to undo their mystical bond at that time. This was all occurring during the heyday of contemporary Marvel writers portraying Strange as a playboy, womanizing jerk (which is 100% out of character for him, but that's what Marvel seems to want him to be these last few years), so I don't blame Clea for leaving him.

I think in general that Marvel doesn't like married characters. In this specific case, I think that a lot of writers find Clea to be a problematic, inconvenient character to keep around so they'd rather park her off-screen where she can be conveniently out of sight, out of mind. Marvel writers have split them up before. I have no idea if Marvel plans to plans to bring her back as a semi-permanent recurring character or not, or if they will have Clea and Strange reconcile. At least Waid and Kitson are writing her well (so far) so I'm happy to see that since she's one of my favorite Marvel characters. I actually like her more than I like Strange himself as a character, so I'll take what I can get.

Couple of good articles about the state of their marriage from a couple years ago:
    https://nerdcircus.wordpress.com/201...nges-marriage/
    https://www.fanboysanonymous.com/201...from-star.html
    Well, no couple is safe unless you are Reed and Sue.
    Marvel's current mystical/magic line is not that promising IMO, even when they were Clea is not that prominent.
    She missed some of the good time and they never made up for that.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by MaximoffTrash View Post
    Well, no couple is safe unless you are Reed and Sue.
    Marvel's current mystical/magic line is not that promising IMO, even when they were Clea is not that prominent.
    She missed some of the good time and they never made up for that.
    Right, it feels that marvel magic is basically just relegated to Strange these days. As much as I enjoy the current title, I do miss the days when we had Hellstorm, Ghost Rider, Voodoo etc on solo titles, and the team books like midnight sons. Even DC magic (discounting imprints) is basically one book now.

Quote Originally Posted by BitParallel View Post
    Was it even explained why? Or they are just suddenly not married?
    They got their first "break-up" before the wedding, when Clea left for the Dark Dimension in Doctor Strange vol. 2 #53 (1982) - Clea decides to return to the Dark Dimension to lead a rebellion against Umar. Professing her love to Stephen, she tells him to pursue Morgana, who will truly love him. Doctor Strange will then go through the break-up in Doctor Strange vol. 2 #54-55 (1982) and Defenders #116 (1983), and it was also referenced in New Avengers: Illuminati vol. 2 #4 (2007).

Some time passes, and they both reconnects. Strange and Clea get "married" in Doctor Strange Sorcerer Supreme #3 (1989), but it was never an official wedding, more like a cosmic wedding, according to the laws of the Dark Dimension. They spent very few time together after 1992 and...

...in Fearless Defenders #9 (2013), even if Clea is glad to see Stephen Strange after so many time, she asks for a divorce during the fight against Enchantress!

And has stated previously by Clea, in Doctor Strange Annual 2016, Clea comes visits Doctor Strange in his Sanctum Sanctorum, and reveals that they are not in love anymore, and not really married, and wants to stay a friend. Strange is still not ready to dissipates the mystical bonds that they have.
    Last edited by Morsoth; 04-29-2019 at 09:30 AM.

BANNED

Doctor Strange: Sorcerer Supreme #64 Apr 1994
    The Brilliant One [Strangers Among Us, Act 1]
    Strange searches for the next piece of Earth Magic, the Corel Crab,

in the cave of The Brilliant One a Leviathan near Namor's Aquaria;

On land, Salomé‚ gives us a brief glimpse of her new servant, Wong!

Script by David Quinn, pencils by Melvin Rubi, inks by Fred Harper

Clea does not have her own comic, nor is she a recurring character in any Marvel series. I don't think she could carry a solo-title because she is so disconnected from the majority of the rest of the Marvel characters, and because her core story involves the Dark Dimension. She used to be a constant character in the original runs of Doctor Strange of course, but in the last 15+ years she's barely appeared. (More time, really, but I'm not counting the years between the time the original run of Doctor Strange was cancelled, and when Marvel started using him again in New Avengers.) Sometimes I think the only reason Marvel doesn't just permanently kill her off is because she is such a long-running recurring Marvel character (started in 1964). She is supposed to be the great love of Strange's life, but that doesn't mean that they need to stay together as a couple.
    The Marriage thing was a botch IMHO. I agree with you that Clea is a major figure and may well be the the love of his life but it seems a stretch to try and impose earthly custom and law on them. Clea was cool and a great partner because she was so groovy. For a long time while see was away it seemed like there weren't any hangup abut their relationship being an open one and there being just ONE for the Doc seems limiting. The writers for sure have enjoyed having yet another damsel or seductress lining up for the Doc's tantric magic over the years. All to the good I say.

I would love to see a Clea in a movie and move that drip Christine/Rachel McAdams out of the way.

BTW anybody reading Defenders out therewho could catch us up on Clea and Dark D
    Last edited by Xheight; 04-30-2019 at 09:53 AM. Reason: added Q.

Behind on my reading but this deserves the bump guys and gals -

DOCTOR STRANGE #14 Releases May 22nd, 2019
    Last edited by Xheight; 05-02-2019 at 09:16 AM. Reason: cut repetition