Page 6 of 23 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast
    Jewish & Proud Feminist Shadowcat's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Beware Of Geek View Post
    Thank you! It’s beautiful. If Saiz leaves this title, he should do a run on the FF or Silver Surfer.
    Comic-Watch Reviewer

Titles:
    /Doctor Strange/Captain Marvel\Scarlet Witch\
    /Iron Man/Captain Britain/Wasp\X-Men\
    /JSA\/X-Treme X-Men\/WILDCATS\

https://comic-watch.com/author/baradtzgmail-com

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcat View Post
    Thank you! It’s beautiful. If Saiz leaves this title, he should do a run on the FF or Silver Surfer.
    No problem. It was my pleasure.

BANNED

The annual was pretty nice. I liked the Nightmare sequence and how the cost of magic is brought back to owed debts from borrowing power

Quote Originally Posted by Rrobin View Post
    The annual was pretty nice. I liked the Nightmare sequence and how the cost of magic is brought back to owed debts from borrowing power
    An idea from the Stern run, IIRC. Anyone else recall the "Emancipation Incantation"?

Personally, I'm wondering if the fact that the Ancient One is described as being from "Tamir-Kaj" in the main story is relevant, or just a bizarre typo....

All-New Member

I am expanding my reading from DC to other publishers such as Marvel, Dark Horse and Image. Most of my Arvel knowledge comes from the MCU. If someone was to recommend a book to read would you Choo Thor or Dr. Strange. Why?
    Given that I have posted this on an appreciation thread, please be objective. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by TheFalcon72 View Post
    I am expanding my reading from DC to other publishers such as Marvel, Dark Horse and Image. Most of my Arvel knowledge comes from the MCU. If someone was to recommend a book to read would you Choo Thor or Dr. Strange. Why?
    Given that I have posted this on an appreciation thread, please be objective. Thanks.
    Well, speaking objectively, I would still choose Strange, as Thor is being tied into a big Event™ soon, and won't be as easy to pick up cold.

BANNED

Just have to give a shout out to this week's stellar anniversary issue - #10 of the current run, #400 legacy numbering.

The main story is a fantastic culmination of the plot line that began in #1 of Waid's run with Strange losing his magic. There's a reveal, which opens a door on a whole new aspect of magic in the MU. This story ends with a huge cliffhanger that promises an action packed follow-up.

Then there's three short stories, all written by Waid, and illustrated by Butch Guice, Kevin Nowland, and Daniel Acuna.

All three are charming as well as being beautiful to look at. On top of that, there's a Tom Palmer two page spread that spotlights the different eras of Strange.

I've been loving Waid's Strange run from the start and this is arguably the finest issue of this run yet.

If anyone hasn't given it a shot yet, jump in with this issue. I know Donny Cates run got a lot of acclaim but while I certainly loved what he did, I'm digging Waid's run even more. It feels like classic Strange to me.

Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TheFalcon72 View Post
    Well, speaking objectively, I would still choose Strange, as Thor is being tied into a big Event™ soon, and won't be as easy to pick up cold.
    Good point, Beware of Geek.

Objectively, they are two different kinds of story. Thor is heroic fantasy, whereas, Strange is mystical, magic fantasy. One is more Norse saga + LotR + superheroes, and the other is more Lovecraftian + paranormal + horror. Are you looking for recommendations over the life of the character, or talking about the new books?
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

Am I the only one who needs to see a Waid/Saiz Strange/Adam Warlock/In-Betweener storyline? This direction is tailor made for something of this caliber.
    Comic-Watch Reviewer

Titles:

small press afficionado matt levin's Avatar

Wow. Yes. "a Waid/Saiz Strange/Adam Warlock/In-Betweener storyline:" needed. Who and how to contact?
    Age/Bronze, Age/Reptiles, Alex&Ada, Anne Bonnie, Astro City, Bone, Briggs Land, Cerebus, Criminal, Courtney Crumrin, Eleanor & the Egret, Fables, Fatale, Fell, Grass Kings, Green Valley, Goon, Gotham Midnight, Groo, Hellboy, Hillbilly, Incognegro, Jack Staff, JL8, Jonah Hex, Kane, Lazarus, Little Nemo, Lone Wolf, Next Wave, Popeye, Powers, Princess Ugg, Resident Alien, SiP, Squirrel Girl, Stray Bullets, 10G, Thief of Thieves, Tuki, Uncle Scrooge, Usagi, Velvet

Quote Originally Posted by matt levin View Post
    Wow. Yes. "a Waid/Saiz Strange/Adam Warlock/In-Betweener storyline:" needed. Who and how to contact?
    I’ve alrea tweeted Waid. I feel like we need to create a twitter movement to get some traction going.
    Comic-Watch Reviewer

Titles:

The fact that I liked Kevin Nowlan's story* so much shows me again how perhaps, I'm not sure Saiz is an ideal fit for Doctor Strange. He's great for these out of space stories, but personally I'm lacking the feel of magic.

*However the Nowlan piece did have a couple of breaks from continuity. Because he stopped aging in 1970 Doctor Strange is supposed to be exempt from Marvel sliding timeline. So no cellphone. Doctor Strange thought the Ancient One was a type of mystic healer and didn't witness magic until Baron Mordo used a gag spell on him to prevent him from speaking about Mordo's evil intent on the Ancient One.

To quote: "It's formed itself into an iron clamp around my mouth! I can't speak!"
    sees himself in mirror.
    "But wait it isn't really there! And yet I'm unable to speak! So there is such a thing as a magic spell...And this is proof of it!"

So the magical change of Doctor Strange's smelly clothes shown earlier was a mistake.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Indian Ink View Post
    The fact that I liked Kevin Nowlan's story* so much shows me again how perhaps, I'm not sure Saiz is an ideal fit for Doctor Strange. He's great for these out of space stories, but personally I'm lacking the feel of magic.

*However the Nowlan piece did have a couple of breaks from continuity. Because he stopped aging in 1970 Doctor Strange is supposed to be exempt from Marvel sliding timeline. So no cellphone. Doctor Strange thought the Ancient One was a type of mystic healer and didn't witness magic until Baron Mordo used a gag spell on him to prevent him from speaking about Mordo's evil intent on the Ancient One.

To quote: "It's formed itself into an iron clamp around my mouth! I can't speak!"
    sees himself in mirror.
    "But wait it isn't really there! And yet I'm unable to speak! So there is such a thing as a magic spell...And this is proof of it!"

So the magical change of Doctor Strange's smelly clothes shown earlier was a mistake.
    To be fair, the ancient one did use magic on him before the mouth clamp thing, he just sort of refused to believe it was true or something? I guess the same applies for the clothes change
    021.jpg

I love both of their comics right now, but Strange, for me, is just the stronger title of the two.
    Comic-Watch Reviewer

Titles:

Quote Originally Posted by MRP View Post
    Some of my favorite early Doctor Strange merchandise...

the Ben Cooper Dr. Strange jiggler form the late 1970s...

and the ad for it and the rest of the wave...

and the Dr. Strange Viewmaster reels from the mid-70s...

-M
    It jiggles and wiggles on it's own string!!!! Well that's it, I gotta have one....