Page 7 of 23 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast
    Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar

I love these!

By Kerry Callen.

And this one was done by his son.

From Kerry Callen's blog.
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

BANNED

Strange Tales #117 Feb 1964
    "The Many Traps of Baron Mordo!"
    Mordo places a spell over Strange's house that causes it to vanish to another dimension;

Strange manages to track Mordo down using his ethereal form,

but it becomes trapped in Mordo's lair;

Mordo goes to see The Ancient One, claiming he's changed his way, just so he can attack him unawares.

Script by Stan Lee and Steve Ditko (co-plot), art by Steve Ditko

BANNED

Doctor Strange #177 Feb 1969
    "The Cult and the Curse"
    Asmodeus assumes the form of Dr. Strange, to fool the Ancient One;

Strange takes on a new masked costume.

Asmodeus recites the Spell of Fire and Ice with his dying breath,

releasing Ymir the frost giant and Surtur the fire demon.

Script by Roy Thomas, pencils by Gene Colan, inks by Tom Palmer

You can't go wrong with some Ditko 9 panel grids!

And some great Colan pages! Though, I never did particularly care for Strange wearing that mask.
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

Quote Originally Posted by Reviresco View Post

And some great Colan pages! Though, I never did particularly care for Strange wearing that mask.
    They also made the costume more form fitting and superhero like. I didn't like it myself. I think Roy Thomas was fixated on a cloaked masked figure that still showed humanoid features because he made The Vision around the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by Indian Ink View Post
    They also made the costume more form fitting and superhero like. I didn't like it myself. I think Roy Thomas was fixated on a cloaked masked figure that still showed humanoid features because he made The Vision around the same time.
    That's it exactly. I think Roy Thomas, either on his own or at Stan's suggestion, was going for that, in the hopes of raising sales. Seems like I read that somewhere.

Extraordinary Member From The Shadows's Avatar

I really can't remember the first thing I read with Doctor Strange was. It may have been a Spider-Man Team-Up or an issue of the Defenders. When I was just getting into comics Paul Smith was doing the art chores on his solo. And of course I read the X-Men annual where he helps my boy Kurt.

Kevin Nowlan's covers were amazing works of art. When I was getting these I couldn't help thinking how awesome they would be on a team together (w/ C&D). Visually they would be quite striking together.

And of course there was his role in Infinity Gauntlet and his later interactions with Infinity Watch

I'm really liking the new costume! I picked up my first issue of Dr Strange (issue 10) based on the visuals. How long has he had that costume? Why the change? I personally hope it stays around for a bit (and I get a ML fig)

Extraordinary Member From The Shadows's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Reviresco View Post
    I love these!

By Kerry Callen.

And this one was done by his son.

From Kerry Callen's blog.
    Those are really well done. I'm impressed.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by ArsonoptiX View Post
    I'm really liking the new costume! I picked up my first issue of Dr Strange (issue 10) based on the visuals. How long has he had that costume? Why the change? I personally hope it stays around for a bit (and I get a ML fig)
    If I’m not wrong, it appeared in issue 4

Quote Originally Posted by From The Shadows View Post
    I really can't remember the first thing I read with Doctor Strange was. It may have been a Spider-Man Team-Up or an issue of the Defenders. When I was just getting into comics Paul Smith was doing the art chores on his solo. And of course I read the X-Men annual where he helps my boy Kurt.

Kevin Nowlan's covers were amazing works of art. When I was getting these I couldn't help thinking how awesome they would be on a team together (w/ C&D). Visually they would be quite striking together.

Kevin Nowlan is amazing! I'm so glad we get to see more of his work in the new run of Dr. Strange. It was the highpoint of Aaron's run, IMO.

Those are really well done. I'm impressed.
    Me too!

I got to meet Kevin Nowlan at Gem City Comic Con last spring, he was selling a couple of Doc prints...

and had him sign a few things...

continued...
    Comic fans get the comics their buying habits deserve.

"Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

my beat up old Dr. Strange poster I've had since high school...

P. Craig Russell was also there and I had him sign this bit of Doc...

I had hoped to commission a piece from Kevin, but he was booked solid for the whole con.

-M
    Last edited by MRP; 02-16-2019 at 10:18 PM.
    Comic fans get the comics their buying habits deserve.

"Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

And of course there was his role in Infinity Gauntlet and his later interactions with Infinity Watch

What happened after the final panel? Did he lose to Adam Warlock?
    We are the Dora Milaje. We are the daughters of the 18 tribes of Wakanda. We are the teeth of the Panther God. Out of 10,000 years of sweat and bloodshed and battle are we born. We are the women of this ancient land. Deadliest of the species. And our time has come!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by nj06 View Post
    What happened after the final panel? Did he lose to Adam Warlock?
    He successfully convinced Warlock to change his mind after powering through the infinity stones, and then went back to a party or something