Page 156 of 171 FirstFirst ... 56106146152153154155156157158159160166 ... LastLast
Results 2,326 to 2,340 of 2556

Quote Originally Posted by Intothevoid View Post
    This is extremely disingenuous... you literally just blatantly lied here without reserve... Not only has the comic LITERALLY said gamma becomes magic when it makes people like Hulks, Ewing had an entire interview where he clearly explained gamma is magic now. Why lie and resist this so much? I don't get it, are you afraid people will start using the Hulk wins against Superman cause magic stuff? Because i can guarantee you wont be able to stop that from happening if people wanna do it, in fact on some of the bigger sites like comicvine that was already brought up lol.
    You're getting worked up over nothing. Accusing me of lying? Over what exactly? I posted the stuff where its explained that gamma is science until it isn't. And no, it has nothing to do with Superman and your weird focus on him in this thread. I've made it clear I'm not going to discuss that in this thread.

It's a quasi-magical in the sense that he now introduced a magical origin to something that had a scientific one, i don't want you to lecture me on this when you literally deny that Hulk is magical now in nature despite the literal narration saying gamma is magic when it makes Hulks.
    No, that's not what quasi means. Look up dictionary now.

In what way? What does it change? It's a quasi-magical explanation to his origin that he is basically a magical being now.
    He isn't. His origin is tied to magic but he isn't a magical being per say.

You can discuss Hulk here or in the Superman thread or wherever you want i don't care. And you are not gonna police what i say. So stop derailing the thread already.
    I'm derailing the thread? Amusing.

Well, carry on.

Seriously all of this drama because i made a half-joke about WBH vaporizing Superman with magic lol, something he doesn't even need to obliterate Superman just kinda funny how this would never be in anyone's wildest dreams just a year or so ago.
    I don't care about all that stuff. I haven't even said anything about that.

Just because this battle board thing seems to be important for you doesn't mean it's important for everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Cth View Post
    As far as the gamma magic/science thing, I can't remember where I read it (interview?) but it was laid out like it's both. It's science until you can't explain it, and that's when it's magic. Not changing between the two or anything, but rather something akin to pulling from reserves. When strength reaches the limit of what scientifically it can do, gamma lets it go further and accomplish stuff like holding up a mountain/grabbing energy/punching dimensions/etc.
    Just highlighting that this seems to be the most inline with Ewing's intent, IMO. It's science until it can't be explained. It still has a sort of rule/structure it follows ... but those aren't strictly scientifically bound.

Like the Force pre vs post midiclorians. At some point trying to over-explain actually takes away form the mysticism more than it adds. Ewing is trying to give gamma a mystical feel which ultimately gives him more freedom to write Hulk is a magical being in the same way the Jedi are magical beings. Are Jedi strictly mages? Most would say no. I'd personally say the same of the Hulk ... even if his powers really challenge that assessment.
    Last edited by GrandEleven; 11-03-2019 at 10:51 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Superfan90 View Post
    You're getting worked up over nothing. Accusing me of lying? Over what exactly? I posted the stuff where its explained that gamma is science until it isn't. And no, it has nothing to do with Superman and your weird focus on him in this thread. I've made it clear I'm not going to discuss that in this thread.
    Because you are accusing me of twisting Als words when you are doing the exact thing. Yes gamma is science UNTIL IT ISN'T, UNTIL IT MAKES HULKS THEN IT'S MAGIC AND WHAT IS HULK? YOU GUESSED IT A HULK. Like how is this difficult to grasp? It's literally what the comic says.

No, that's not what quasi means. Look up dictionary now.
    No, stop. Al was talking about Hulks origin being changed and how he doesn't want it to be all about science a quote from him

"…I guess there was always a very science-y explanation for the whole “radiation is magic” thing, and that kind of bugs me, because I sort of prefer the more poetic explanations for things. That’s why I quite like the question of, did you get randomly bitten by a spider, or did the spider select you? There’s a poetry there. It’s not just, “Here’s how mutants work, according to wibbly-wobbly science.” And I think with the Hulk, making it a quasi-magical explanation, something that by definition cannot be explained, that doesn’t subtract; that adds to it."

He doesn't want the science-y explanation for "radiation is magic".

He isn't. His origin is tied to magic but he isn't a magical being per say.
    If gamma is magic when it makes Hulks, then yes he is a magical being now, or more so divine being given his Satanic origin. Even Thor noted Hulk is more akin to a god or a devil now, it's no longer science anymore.

I'm derailing the thread? Amusing.

Well, carry on.
    Yes. It is amusing.

I don't care about all that stuff. I haven't even said anything about that.

Just because this battle board thing seems to be important for you doesn't mean it's important for everyone.
    Of course you care about it, you wouldn't jump at me just because i very briefly and half jokingly mentioned Superman, the comment seemed to have upset you quite a bit. Not a single person has complained about me mentioning Superman but you, in fact at least one other person has told you i can post about it in relation to Hulk.

Anyway times have definitely changed, it's still funny to me that you can validly say Hulk stomps Superman because Hulk is made of magic lol, never would have seen it coming.
    Last edited by Intothevoid; 11-03-2019 at 11:02 PM.

Because you are accusing me of twisting Als words when you are doing the exact thing. Yes gamma is science UNTIL IT ISN'T, UNTIL IT MAKES HULKS THEN IT'S MAGIC AND WHAT IS HULK? YOU GUESSED IT A HULK. Like how is this difficult to grasp?
    I dunno.

When you toss around the words magical you get Dr. Strange and Magik. You don't get Jean Grey, or The Phoenix. You don't get pym particles. You don't vibranium. Not the X-Gene. All of those are basically "magical" in the sense of realism, but magic has a very specific definition in Marvel, and no one argues that pym particles are magic, do they?

Therefore Hulk isn't a magical being, strictly. He's a gamma being. And Gamma is now clearly more mystical and magical in nature ... but I also think in terms of the Marvel Universe/continuity it's not strictly magical. It's really it's own thing. What rules it plays by aren't really defined yet ... and Ewing is certainly going to take his time laying that out (if ever). So yeah ... Gamma is much more magical now. It does some wild stuff. But I don't know if it will strictly count as "magical". Heck ... like clerics and mages in DND ... sorcery and divine magic tend to be very different. I think Ewing is trying to work with something strictly new. As such .. I wouldn't call Hulk magical. He's gamma. Or at least gamma magic? I certainly don't expect to see him teleporting or creating magical chains anytime soon.
    t
    Last edited by GrandEleven; 11-03-2019 at 11:13 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by GrandEleven View Post
    I dunno.

When you toss around the words magical you get Dr. Strange and Magik. You don't get Jean Grey, or The Phoenix. You don't get pym particles. You don't vibranium. Not the X-Gene. All of those are basically "magical" in the sense of realism, but magic has a very specific definition in Marvel, and no one argues that pym particles are magic, do they?

Therefore Hulk isn't a magical being, strictly. He's a gamma being. And Gamma is now clearly more mystical and magical in nature ... but I also think in terms of the Marvel Universe/continuity it's not strictly magical. It's really it's own thing. What rules it plays by aren't really defined yet ... and Ewing is certainly going to take his time laying that out (if ever). So yeah ... Gamma is much more magical now. It does some wild stuff. But I don't know if it will strictly count as "magical". Heck ... like clerics and mages in DND ... sorcery and divine magic tend to be very different. I think Ewing is trying to work with something strictly new. As such .. I wouldn't call Hulk magical. He's gamma. Or at least gamma magic? I certainly don't expect to see him teleporting or creating magical chains anytime soon.
    t
    I don't disagree with anything you said here, calling Hulk magical was oversimplifying things and i did so mostly because the other guy thinks Hulk switches from science to magic randomly, which makes no sense. Gamma is magic, Hulk is pretty magical now, although he seems to be more satanic/divine in origin than strictly magic, then again i dunno if Ewing thinks of the 2 as the same thing, even still i don't think he will be throwing "spells" any time soon, but he is still magical in a way. Strange, Magik, Phoenix, Pym particles(not sure if Pym particles are magical in any way though), are all still magic even if they are different kinds of magic. Strange and Thor both deal with magic even if they deal with it in different ways.
    Last edited by Intothevoid; 11-04-2019 at 12:44 AM.

Because you are accusing me of twisting Als words when you are doing the exact thing. Yes gamma is science UNTIL IT ISN'T, UNTIL IT MAKES HULKS THEN IT'S MAGIC AND WHAT IS HULK? YOU GUESSED IT A HULK. Like how is this difficult to grasp? It's literally what the comic says.
    I'm not accusing you of anything, calm down. Its your interpretation but don't act like it's only interpretation of the comic and everyone is bound to agree with you.

And why the hostility?

No, stop. Al was talking about Hulks origin being changed and how he doesn't want it to be all about science a quote from him

"…I guess there was always a very science-y explanation for the whole “radiation is magic” thing, and that kind of bugs me, because I sort of prefer the more poetic explanations for things. That’s why I quite like the question of, did you get randomly bitten by a spider, or did the spider select you? There’s a poetry there. It’s not just, “Here’s how mutants work, according to wibbly-wobbly science.” And I think with the Hulk, making it a quasi-magical explanation, something that by definition cannot be explained, that doesn’t subtract; that adds to it."
    But that doesn't makes him a full magical being like say Captain Marvel/Shazam. It makes him like Wonder Woman who has been a divine being (before she was a daughter of Zeus).

He doesn't want the science-y explanation for "radiation is magic".
    He isn't completely revamping "radiation is magic" either. Radiation is science until it isn't. Then it's magic. Hence quasi magical.

If gamma is magic when it makes Hulks, then yes he is a magical being now, or more so divine being given his Satanic origin. Even Thor noted Hulk is more akin to a god or a devil now, it's no longer science anymore.
    He is tied to divine energies now which act as both science and magic. Its not hard to understand.

Yes. It is amusing.
    Well, good for you.

Of course you care about it, you wouldn't jump at me just because i very briefly and half jokingly mentioned Superman, the comment seemed to have upset you quite a bit. Not a single person has complained about me mentioning Superman but you, in fact at least one other person has told you i can post about it in relation to Hulk.

Anyway times have definitely changed, it's still funny to me that you can validly say Hulk stomps Superman because Hulk is made of magic lol, never would have seen it coming.
    Weak bait man. Try it on someone else.

BANNED

I'm not accusing you of anything, calm down. Its your interpretation but don't act like it's only interpretation of the comic and everyone is bound to agree with you.

And why the hostility?
    You literally said i was twisting Al's words while you yourself were twisting his words lol. It's not just interpretation, the comic literally says gamma is science until it makes Hulks, then it's magic. I have no idea how you can think Hulk himself can sometimes be science sometimes magic, when the comic states the gamma that makes him is magic.

But that doesn't makes him a full magical being like say Captain Marvel/Shazam. It makes him like Wonder Woman who has been a divine being (before she was a daughter of Zeus).
    Maybe, gamma is still being explored, he is definitely more hax and comples than either Shazam and WW for sure. Especially with the Divine and ties to the omnipotence.

He isn't completely revamping "radiation is magic" either. Radiation is science until it isn't. Then it's magic. Hence quasi magical.
    He pretty much is, he even got into revamping it for Spiderman and F4, so he really is looking into changing all of radiation, especially since he also confirmed he ran the idea to other writers as well.

In the interview to he literally says radiation is magic.

He is tied to divine energies now which act as both science and magic. Its not hard to understand.
    No, divine is something ABOVE both science and magic, it's the ultimate power, it's the power responsible for all of creation, it's on a conceptual level higher than either science or magic.

Well, good for you.
    Yep.

Weak bait man. Try it on someone else.
    I mean i didn't even bait you with my original post and you came at me like a raging bull so lol.

Also this wasn't bait, it's how things are now that Hulks origins and source of power has been retconned.

Spectacular Member

If only the Superman vs Hulk post had initially been let go. But alas ... ... 14 posts later here we are. Anyone interested in the ‘Agree to disagree’ option so thread can get back to “normal”?

Quote Originally Posted by FrazettaHulk View Post
    If only the Superman vs Hulk post had initially been let go. But alas ... ... 14 posts later here we are. Anyone interested in the ‘Agree to disagree’ option so thread can get back to “normal”?
    I just have Superfan on ignore while I’m in this thread because he’s utterly incapable of not flying off the handle and fighting for pages. Everyone should probably do likewise. Surprised he hasn’t been banned yet.

I’m thinking about trying to watch the Planet Hulk animated movie. Heard it was actually pretty good unlike the majority of Marvel’s animation stuff. Anyone else seen it? Opinions on it?

I liked it better when Hulk was a just a big ball or Rage. Not some magical cosmic entity that can punch the universe out of existence.

Quote Originally Posted by krazijoe View Post
    I liked it better when Hulk was a just a big ball or Rage. Not some magical cosmic entity that can punch the universe out of existence.
    Right now he isn’t either. We just got a glimpse of what might lay in store for Hulk and I’m positive there’s still some twists to be had. But I don’t really have any desire for Hulk to go back to “just” Savage Hulk. Loeb’s run kind of tried that and it was pretty boring. PAD, Pak, and now Ewing have all shown that Hulk being able to talk and think doesn’t in any way take away from the horror and monster aspects of who and what he is.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Right now he isn’t either. We just got a glimpse of what might lay in store for Hulk and I’m positive there’s still some twists to be had. But I don’t really have any desire for Hulk to go back to “just” Savage Hulk. Loeb’s run kind of tried that and it was pretty boring. PAD, Pak, and now Ewing have all shown that Hulk being able to talk and think doesn’t in any way take away from the horror and monster aspects of who and what he is.
    I am fine with that, but at his core, Hulk is RAGE. Sure he can beat back his primal instinct and let Banner and the other psyches out to play but at the core It's either Banner or "Rage". One end of the spectrum or the other and a lot of in-between.

BANNED

I do agree that i miss the rage aspect of the character. Al seems to have changed it more for the cold anger, rather than fiery rage we are used to. Still the series is really good and interesting enough for me not to mind the absence of Hulk raging out every now and then.

Quote Originally Posted by krazijoe View Post
    I am fine with that, but at his core, Hulk is RAGE. Sure he can beat back his primal instinct and let Banner and the other psyches out to play but at the core It's either Banner or "Rage". One end of the spectrum or the other and a lot of in-between.
    Well Savage Hulk was never “just” pure Rage. He shared Banner’s compassion for Betty and for the bullied after all. He was capable of expressing a pretty wide range himself.
    I do agree that i miss the rage aspect of the character. Al seems to have changed it more for the cold anger, rather than fiery rage we are used to. Still the series is really good and interesting enough for me not to mind the absence of Hulk raging out every now and then.
    That’s definitely true, Devil Hulk is more a cold rage and contempt kind of guy. But he *did* snap when Betty got shot and then he took a head shot, that dude was pure red hot rage and wrath and it was awesome to see.