Page 54 of 171 FirstFirst ... 44450515253545556575864104154 ... LastLast
    Mighty Member McFarlane's Green Hulk's Avatar

Incredible Hulk #260
    Cover Date: June 1981
    Sale Date: March 17th, 1981
    Writer: Bill Mantlo
    Artist: Sal Buscema
    Inker: Sal Trapani, Frank Giacoia, Bruce Patterson, Marie Severin, and Walt Simonson
    Letterer: Jim Novak
    Colorist: Bob Sharen
    Editor: Al Milgrom

“Sunset of a Samurai!”

Guest Stars/Supporting Cast: Sanshiro Sugata, Rick Jones
    Villain: Col. Glenn Talbot
    Synopsis: Open to director Sanshiro Sugata, dressed in ancient Samurai robes, walking to the set of the latest Todo monster movie, while being pestered by impatient and greedy studio reps. Sugata considers the location of the film a desecration, as the set has been built around a sacred Buddha mound in order to capture the image of the volcano, Mount Kuroishi, in the background. Despite his protests, filming begins. Meanwhile, the Hulk has been “caught” in the net of a local fisherman, scaring the poor man out of his wits. He leaps away, and ends up on the side of the volcano, hoping for some peace and queit. Back on the movie set, the impatient brothers are fed up with Sugata’s calm, artistic pacing and take control of the robot monster. Suddenly, the top of Mt. Kuroishi explodes and Sugata takes this as the gods taking matters into their own hands. In reality, it is Col. Talbot in the War Wagon attacking the Hulk. Tides shift in favor for both combatants, but eventually the Hulk’s rage results in a lava cone exploding and coating the War Wagon, sending it plummeting to the ground. The after-effects of the battle has put Sugata in danger, but the Hulk, who has been infatuated with a tiny Buddha statue, arrives to save the aged director from the oncoming lava flow.

Commentary:
    Glenn Talbot is dead, long live Talbot! Guess having two military Hulk antagonists wasn’t in the cards, given that Ross was making an eventual comeback. Or maybe Mantlo didn’t care for the character altogether? Who knows, he’d been floundering for years, and nobody seemed to know what to do with him. Personally, I thought Talbot had more potential to carry on Ross’ legacy, and it could have been more personal – seeing as how his competition for Betty’s love was Banner himself. Again, we see a shift in the art with the help of multiple inkers, although a recent Facebook thread started by Erik Larsen may have revealed the mystery to which pages (Talbot’s death scene) could have been inked by the great Walt Simonson.

Kind of funny that they haven't really bothered to bring back Talbot unless you count the LMD or his brief return during Chaos War. Other times they simply brought in his brother or something. Maybe because Ross pretty much serves the same function in the comics anyway.

The character was a pretty big deal in Agents of SHIELD though, although he had nothing to do with the Hulk.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

iMan 42s

Talbot did have a brief role in The Incredible Hulk video-game (2008) where he fought Bruce in a repurposed Hulkbuster but that information is now apocryphal to the MCU. Although that depiction was before Agents of Shield and before the Hulkbuster ever officially appeared in the MCU. The SEGA games are of dubious continuity.

I just got around to reading the first trade of Immortal Hulk. I really want to go back to the comic shop and get the others now. I fell out of it for a moment or two, but that is a superb book. I really can't fault it anywhere and this really does make me wish I was following the Hulk closer than I did/do.

That was a really good sit, you guys weren't kidding.
    -----------------------------------
    For anyone that needs to know why OMD is awful please search the internet for Linkara' s video's specifically his One more day review or his One more day Analysis.

Fantastic Member

The new Hulk Last call previews deal with Professor Hulk. There is also Betty/Harpy, Ross, Rick, Talbot shown.

Quote Originally Posted by Subzero89 View Post
    The new Hulk Last call previews deal with Professor Hulk. There is also Betty/Harpy, Ross, Rick, Talbot shown.
    Just read the book.

A nice little aside from the Immortal Hulk period. Nothing ground breaking, though Hulk gets a clean win against a character that managed to always get away inconclusively before.

Incredible Member PlatinumThorns's Avatar

Bought it at my LCS earlier. Nice little read. Wouldn't mind getting more of these short hulk stories every now and then to bring more levity.

Incredible Member

Since I was talking about Bennett's Harpy vs. the original Harpy up-thread... Keown's Harpy is pretty bad. Whereas the original was literally a bird body from the collar-bones down, this is just a feathered woman, outside of the lower legs, claws and fangs. Really not selling the idea at all, and the sequence as a whole felt pretty pointless. Rest of the issue was better though.

Quote Originally Posted by PlatinumThorns View Post
    Wouldn't mind getting more of these short hulk stories every now and then to bring more levity.
    ...a book about suicide, domestic violence and the Hulk beating Mr. Hyde to a bloody pulp brings levity?

Quote Originally Posted by SanityOrMadness View Post
    Since I was talking about Bennett's Harpy vs. the original Harpy up-thread... Keown's Harpy is pretty bad. Whereas the original was literally a bird body from the collar-bones down, this is just a feathered woman, outside of the lower legs, claws and fangs. Really not selling the idea at all, and the sequence as a whole felt pretty pointless. Rest of the issue was better though.

...a book about suicide, domestic violence and the Hulk beating Mr. Hyde to a bloody pulp brings levity?
    For a Hulk book? Yep.

Breaker of Worlds Immortal Hulk's Avatar

Fantastic article about the Immortal Hulk!

WHY MARVEL'S IMMORTAL HULK IS A TERRIFYINGLY GOOD COMIC

https://www.ign.com/articles/2019/06...gly-good-comic

Immortal Hulk #24 full coloured variant by Joe Bennett

And, while at it, another raving review of Immortal Hulk #18

http://majorspoilers.com/2019/06/04/...ulk-18-review/

"Darn near perfect"!

Fantastic Member

Hulk last call was a nice throwback to PAD's days on the comic. Nothing too groundbreaking but a nice change of pace from the Immortal Hulk stuff, even though it was also kinda veiled in sadness and tragedy the same way Immortal Hulk is.... Damn we really need a cheerful Hulk comic to come along these days lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Subzero89 View Post
    Hulk last call was a nice throwback to PAD's days on the comic. Nothing too groundbreaking but a nice change of pace from the Immortal Hulk stuff, even though it was also kinda veiled in sadness and tragedy the same way Immortal Hulk is.... Damn we really need a cheerful Hulk comic to come along these days lol.
    When has the Hulk ever been consistently cheerful?

Bruce Banner is the Charlie Brown of the MU.

His one, if not THE, most tragic character from the MU. Unless people want "totally awesome hulk" (lame!) stuff.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ptrvc View Post
    When has the Hulk ever been consistently cheerful?

Bruce Banner is the Charlie Brown of the MU.
    Never i guess, kinda depressing when you think about.

iMan 42s

Just got through #18 and bought the other trades, I can't remember a title this consistently perfect!
    -----------------------------------
    For anyone that needs to know why OMD is awful please search the internet for Linkara' s video's specifically his One more day review or his One more day Analysis.