Sale Date: December 20th, 1977
    Writer: Roger Stern
    Artist: Sal Buscema
    Inker: Alfredo Alcala
    Letterer: D. Wohl
    Colorist: J. Cohen
    Editor: Archie Goodwin

“Show Me the Way to Go Home!”

Guest Stars/Supporting Cast: Jim Wilson, April Sommers, General Ross, Doc Samson
    Antagonist: Stingray
    Synopsis: Bruce Banner awakens to find himself alive and well on a naval ship headed for New York City, thanks to the help of Dr. Walter Newell, while General Ross has Gamma Base on edge and on the hunt for the mysterious amnesic stranger who disappeared a couple issues ago. Newell has a heck of time tracking Banner down after they’ve docked, and ready to just wash his hands of the whole thing, but is alerted to his true identity by an article in the newspaper. Cut to Banner, who is on his way back to his apartment and was able to hold off the transformation during a hectic taxi ride. Believing it to be a positive sign, Bruce eagerly enters the building only to be baffled by April’s horrified reaction to his presence. Jim Wilson comes down and sadly explains that when they believed him dead, he revealed his true identity to April. Banner tries to explain the situation to her, but is interrupted by Newell. The end result is Newell revealing himself to be Stingray, and Banner becoming the Hulk after Jim is injured. Stingray soon finds himself outmatched, but before the Hulk can put the finishing touches, Jim comes to and tries convincing the brute not to kill him. This angers the Hulk even more, and he tosses Stingray aside and leaps away in disgust.

Commentary: Nothing to write home about, Stern’s just getting started and probably just tying off loose ends. Alcala really doesn’t mesh well with Sal’s artwork, he was a better match on Big John B.

Interesting that they addressed Rick.

Wonder if they'll ever incorporate Rick into any live-action? Although I'm pretty sure he's appeared in every single Hulk cartoon-and even ones not directly involving the Hulk-he's been absent from every single live-action Hulk adaptation-the Bixby series, the Ang Lee film (Although there's a character that nearly gets in a gamma accident but he's named Harper) and the MCU (apart from a small name drop in the ITH opeening credits). He's pretty much the only Hulk supporting character that never made any appearence (Heck even Talbot wound up as a major part of Agents of Shield).

Wonder if he might show up in Captain Marvel, although he doesn't have that much to do with Carol he's a part of the overall backstory in the comics.
    Last edited by ChrisIII; 01-03-2019 at 10:57 AM.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Hulk View Post
    I've read it again, and liked even more. It's going to be epic, indeed.

By the way, what do you mean by Well we all know who that demon is?
    Bruce's father a.k.a Brian Banner lol .

Breaker of Worlds Immortal Hulk's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by biswaboxz View Post
    Bruce's father a.k.a Brian Banner lol .
    The One Below All is not Brian. He'll only show his true face in the next issue, and I doubt he only has one.

Astonishing Member your_name_here's Avatar

I don’t see being in hell is the end of this “one below all” story that everyone seems to think it is. I think it’s just the start.
    Maybe it’ll be a recurring villain, almost like the mind-flayer from Stranger Things??

Astonishing Member

I have already bought the first Immortal Hulk TPB.
    After having bought the first issue this was a comic book that more often that not was sold out in my Comic Book Shop. So I was trade waiting this series. Will be picking up issue 11 because it´s a great jumping point to me after the first two TPB´S of Immortal Hulk.

This might be my fav issue. Really enjoyed the conversation between McGee and Hulk, it gave more complexity and layers to McGee's backstory and her interest in Hulk while also giving them more of a relationship. The Qabbalah and psychology of anger added more ideas (ie: self vs. shadow-self) about what the Hulk "is" so to speak and what the One Below All "is" (perhaps a kind of divine reckoning of God's anger towards humanity). Wish I had the time to delve deeper but, long story short: great issue!
    Last edited by Anonymousmc; 01-03-2019 at 08:26 PM.

Incredible Member PlatinumThorns's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by your_name_here View Post
    I don’t see being in hell is the end of this “one below all” story that everyone seems to think it is. I think it’s just the start.
    Maybe it’ll be a recurring villain, almost like the mind-flayer from Stranger Things??
    Yeah, it's largely up in the air atm because of how vague and abrupt the synopses were for issues #13 and #14.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

My first experience with Hulk was the Lou Ferrigno tv series, but I don't remember anything except how he looks

ferrigno_hulk_large.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymousmc View Post
    This might be my fav issue. Really enjoyed the conversation between McGee and Hulk, it gave more complexity and layers to McGee's backstory and her interest in Hulk while also giving them more of a relationship. The Qabbalah and psychology of anger added more ideas (ie: self vs. shadow-self) about what the Hulk "is" so to speak and what the One Below All "is" (perhaps a kind of divine reckoning of God's anger towards humanity). Wish I had the time to delve deeper but, long story short: great issue!
    My favourite too, and the Qabbala part is intriguing. There's so much to explore!

By the way, I love how the comicsverse review talks about this issue:

"This book is instantly memorable. It should go down as one of the best issues of the year, and it’s only the first week of January."

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    My first experience with Hulk was the Lou Ferrigno tv series, but I don't remember anything except how he looks

ferrigno_hulk_large.jpg
    My first too. That and the 80's cartoon!

Mighty Member McFarlane's Green Hulk's Avatar

Incredible Hulk #222
    Cover Date: April 1978
    Sale Date: January 17th, 1978
    Writer: Len Wein
    Artist: Jim Starlin
    Inker: Alfredo Alcala
    Letterer: Gaspar
    Colorist: Glynis Wein
    Editor: Len Wein

“Feeding Billy!”

Guest Stars/Supporting Cast: Donny and Marie
    Villain: Billy
    Synopsis: Two young children convince the Hulk and Bruce Banner to be the playmate to their little brother, who turns out to be a mutated monster – thanks to some industrial waste that was left in a meadow.

Commentary: Time line is a little fuzzy, but it sounded like this issue was years in the making and ended up being an inventory book instead. Wein had left the title (and I believe Marvel altogether by this point) and there was talk in the letter column @#199 or so about how Starlin was to illustrate a more horror-centric Hulk story. I was born in `75, so the Donny and Marie references were beyond me during my initial start into collecting in 1986. AWESOME covers during this time too.

Interesting things Ewing said about the next issues:

https://twitter.com/Al_Ewing/status/1081223397739237376

Hulk-as-metaphor definitely clashes with Hulk-as-actuality inside the fictional universe. And Jackie will continue to play a role in the plot. That said, I might leave the discussion where it is for now - (Cont'd) -

- I feel like the next couple of "Hell" issues and the Samson issue will probably make things even more complex,

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Hulk View Post
    The One Below All is not Brian. He'll only show his true face in the next issue, and I doubt he only has one.
    lol Yeah I was just kidding and I know that TOBA has impersonated one of his manifestations i.e Brian Banner .

so TOBA is not exposed in this latest issue? If Hell is "on Earth" where are the other heroes?

Incredible Member PlatinumThorns's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    so TOBA is not exposed in this latest issue? If Hell is "on Earth" where are the other heroes?
    too busy being in other books